• Published 18th Aug 2012
  • 1,729 Views, 99 Comments

Legends Of Ponyville - mechafone



Follow Spark Storm and his friends as they continue to grow and protect Ponyville.

  • ...
4
 99
 1,729

12 - Viewing The Past

Shadow Heart gasped for breath as he came to a stop. The orange and red unicorn definitely needed to start running every day if he wanted a better chance of getting away from angry farmers. While his phasing ability came in handy, there might come a time when it wouldn't work. His magic was selective, after all. The unicorn made his way through the woods, deeper into the Everfree, towards the small cave that he called home.

The twelve year old colt had been living there for years, sometimes on the road around Equestria, but always staying within walking distance of Ponyville; it was the only place nice enough not to send mobs on him. Even Canterlot, the home of the generous Princess, wasn't nearly as kind as the little burg. He'd heard tales of cruelty coming from the town, though, and he still wasn't sure if they were true.

After the Ursa Minor incident a few years ago, though, he'd begun to have doubts. He'd been on the edge of town when it happened: An angry Ursa rampaged towards the town, only to be stopped by a pegasus capable of using lightning without the aid of storm clouds. It was an impressive power, one that had wowed Shadow Heart to the core. And then...the jeering. The yelling and the cursing at the pegasi's heroics. It seemed like the older ponies were angry just at his presence. It reminded Shadow of himself, being labeled a monster. Unlike the pegasus, though, he really was a monster.

The unicorn came to a dead stop when he reached the entrance to the only home he'd known for the last few years. Something was off, something was wrong. The 'something wrong' showed itself as dozens of black, hard-shelled monsters walked through the grass, emerged from his cave, and from everywhere to surround him. He started to panic. He'd seen many creatures here in the Everfree, but he'd never seen these monsters before.

Shadow Heart levitated several rocks around him, drawing them in close to propel them at his possible foes. He would fight for his life if he had to. It wouldn't be the first time, and Celestia-willing it wouldn't be the last time. The creatures stepped aside, however, as a much bigger figure strode right up to him. The rocks in his magical grasp fell to the ground as he looked up in wonder at the beautiful, burnt orange Alicorn standing before him.

The Alicorn's eyes were a shining gold, deep and piercing, as if she were peering straight into Shadow Heart's soul. It was both a calming and terrifying feeling. He could almost feel as if she were opening his eyes and reaching inside, digging at his past. Wait, was that actually happening? The faint, familiar feeling of his spell-absorbing abilities were activating against his will, as they usually did.

He took a few steps away from the Alicorn, shaking his head violently to rid himself of the feeling of being psychicly violated. "Stop!" he shouted. He groaned as the overpowering feeling of having his brain searched drove him to his knees.

"This one has the strength to resist me..." the Alicorn murmured. She sounded excited, eager even, to dive further into the colt's psyche. She saw interesting things in his past: timberwolves, murderous thieves, his parents. The colt was an outcast, and had lived on his own for years thanks to the death of his parents while out in the wild. She saw strange and unusual talents that even powerful unicorns almost never attained. The colt was out here, on his own, no use to anypony, and here he was with wondrous talents that could be of use to her and her purpose.

"Go away!" he shouted, pushing back against the palpable force pressed down on him by the Alicorn's psychic powers. "Get out of my head! Leave me alone!"

"Shhh..." Shadow Heart opened his eyes to see the Alicorn crouching to be level with him. He couldn't help but stare at the strange beauty in her eyes, so alluring, so inviting. A golden mist-like light began to pour from her eyes and pouring into his. Some of the spell was absorbed, but the overpowering spell soon took him over. He stopped fighting, and fell limp into the grass. He was magically lifted into the air and then placed lovingly onto the Alicorn's back.

With a sudden air of indifference, she turned around and walked back into the woods without a word to the surrounding Changelings, of course leaving them confused and a little bit put off. Though they had their orders from the Queen herself to do as the Alicorn commanded and assist her, the golden princess never gave them orders, instead opting to ignore them. It was very vexing.


Fire Lotus watched the three figures from the trees. They had stopped a few times to talk, though what they spoke of, she didn't know. She was much too far away to hear. She was about to move closer when she heard something whistling towards her. She turned and caught a projectile pine cone. A second pine cone in the first one's shadow bopped her on the forehead.

Gritting her teeth in annoyance, she leapt from her perch and into the distant trees.

The five Changelings looked this way and that, having lost sight of the earth pony the moment she jumped from her perch. The large male, Dozix, took a step forward on his perch in the large tree they had been ordered to stay on. "...Where did she go?"

He flinched when he felt a pinecone drop on his head. He supposed he had that coming, it hadn't really been necessary to throw pinecones at the mare to get her attention...well, it had, actually. They'd been ordered to stay far away from her, and they needed to talk to her. How could they do that if they were far away? The pinecone had seemed the only logical answer.

Dozix looked up and immediately whimpered. A downpour of pinecones came down on top of him, rattling his skull. Then the thick branch previously holding the pinecones came down and snapped in half over his head. Stunned, he fell backwards and down towards the ground. He felt his hind legs wrapped up in cord, and he stopped just before he hit the ground, snagged in rope and hung upside down. Fire Lotus landed on the ground lightly beside him, an annoyed glare in her eyes and a pinecone in her hoof.

"Oh...hello," he said, smiling sheepishly. He got a pine cone to the nose for his efforts.

"What." she said. It was a demand, not a question or an inquiry.

"Uh...It's just been a while since we received any updates from you on our query," he explained, still hanging from the rope wrapped around his legs. He could've flown up and released himself, but after being handled by the irritable earth pony already, he quickly came to the conclusion that this was a bad idea.

"How many times have I told you to wait for me? Interrupt me again and I'll-"

"You'll answer to our Queen if you don't have something for us soon," the Changeling in charge, Nuzo said as he landed beside Fire Lotus with no fear of the assassin. He was the smallest male present of three, but his confidence and take-charge personality at least made Fire Lotus respect him a little. Kecnik, the last male, was tall and lanky. He didn't seem to care either way what Fire Lotus did, he just stood around and looked bored no matter what happened.

Madalah and Bezzle, the two females of the group, joined Nuzo on the ground beside Fire Lotus. Bezzle was an irritable Changeling, her yellow eyes and torso cover and mane reminded Fire Lotus of an angry wasp. Madalah, the excitable Changeling, was an electric blue, as opposed to the usual teal of the Changelings. Dozix, the largest of the males, was a dark purple. Kecnik's coloring was the normal teal, and Nuvo was completely black. A fitting color, considering his rank.

"Hmph. Your Queen is awfully demanding if she expects me to get any work done with you five constantly on my back. Learn a little patience," she said, daring to flick the end of Nuvo's nose. She was even more impressed when he just stared straight into her eyes, daring her to be even a little more silly. She liked this one. "Look. We're staking out the enemy to gain information. The more I watch them, the more information I obtain. And the more information I obtain, the more I'll be able to help your Queen. It's not a difficult concept."

"Changelings do not wait," Bezzle said, lifting her chin proudly. "We are a race of action, we demand perfection from those who must work with us, and that includes you." Fire Lotus narrowed her eyes and turned towards the smaller creature. Madalah, Kecnik and Dozix stepped to the side, leaving Bezzle alone before the earth pony. She stood tall before the assassin-well, as tall as she could.

Before the confrontation could continue, though, all five Changelings lifted their heads and tilted their ears, as if hearing something only they could hear. Fire Lotus looked between them with a frown on her face. She did not like being left out of the information loop. Finally, Nuzo nodded his head to his partners. They immediately turned and took off into the air and headed off into the forest.

"We have received word of an event that requires our presence. Yours as well, considering your partner has discovered something that she apparently deems worthy of our attention. Now, follow. You can spy on them later." Nuzo turned tail and sped off into the air, leaving Fire Lotus just a little peeved. Here she was, about to teach the little yellow upstart a lesson, and they get a "message" that Shimmering Oasis found something interesting. Compensation would be in order.


Mrs Cake hummed to herself as she brought out a fresh batch of cookies. They were chocolate chip mocha raspberry cheesecake cookies, Pinkie Pie's current favorite.

She turned to her guest baker, having come all the way from Canterlot, Choco Swirl. She was one of the most beautiful mares that Mrs Cake had ever seen: She was a pleasant light brown color, her mane and tail a darker brown, both accented with the most charming cream curls. Her hooves were also cream-colored, and she had the softest butterscotch eyes. At only fifteen, Choco Swirl was one of the prettiest mares that the whole town of Ponyville had seen, and there were more than a few jealous mares spreading the word of her presence.

Choco Swirl was here to take Pinkie's place for two weeks. Pinkie Pie had been very resistant to the idea of having an apprentice trade at this time, but the Cakes told her it would be a tremendous learning experience for the young mare. Of course, Pinkie had neglected to tell the Cakes it was because Spark Storm was in town, so in the end she had been shipped off to Canterlot for two weeks to learn from Canterlot business owner Orange Treat.

Choco Swirl leaned in to take a deep whiff of the cookies when Mrs Cake offered the tray. She took the cookies from the older baker and laid them out on the counter to let them cool. "This is so much fun, Mrs Cake!" she gushed, clopping her hooves together excitedly. "It's so much busier in Canterlot, there's almost no time to relax, and take some time to smell the cookies. I really like it here..." she trailed off with a sigh. She'd been here for only two days, and she was already dreading the return to Orange Treat's large candy factory.

Mrs Cake smiled; she knew that look. Hers was the look of a young mare who was seeing something new and wonderful. Big city girls like Choco Swirl rarely got to see the countryside. Ponyville was the perfect place for a pony to wind down and live a peaceful life among friendly neighbors. It had always been Mrs Cake's dream.

"Go on, dear, have a look around."

Choco snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at the older mare. "Ma'am? D-did you just tell me to leave work and look around town?"

"Of course I did! We're past the lunch rush, it'll be calm for a few hours. Why don't you go out and try meeting a few ponies, see the sights a bit? Just be back in three hours, I'll need some extra help to get ready for the evening rush."

Choco Swirl gasped with joy and quickly hugged the blue mare. "Oh thank you, Mrs Cake! Thank you, I've been wanting to see Ponyville since I saw it! Um...ok, three hours..." She glanced at the clock, then nodded affirmatively. "You can count on me, Mrs Cake, I'll be back in three hours!" She cantered out through the back doors, giddy as a school-girl. Mrs Cake smiled approvingly, then went about getting those cookies onto a plate.

"She'll be late, I just know it."


Choco Swirl cantered through town, an excited smile on her pretty face. She was the new girl in town, so of course there were more than a few stares. She was an unusually styled-up mare, and there weren't a whole lot of those in Ponyville. The town's own up and coming fashionista was probably the only other mare in town who bothered to look that pretty every day.

Upon getting a more clear view of the town from the very center near Sugarcube Corner, Choco's attention was drawn to the huge tree that stood aways down the street and behind some buildings. She felt drawn there; there might be something of interest there. Along the way, she stopped a the local candy store. The mare running the place was a cream-colored earth pony, with a pink mane and a small navy blue stripe running along the middle.

The two talked for a while, bantering back and forth until the shop-keeper introduced Choco to her daughter, Bon Bon. The two teenagers got along rather well, sharing stories about their business. When it came time to talk about boys, Bon Bon became quiet and somehow sad. Choco worried she had offended her new acquaintance, so she quickly made up an excuse to head out and take in more sights.

Soon enough, Choco made her way to the library. She was about to step inside when she noticed the sign that it was closed. She gave a little pout; after having gotten out of work three hours so she could see the town, the first place she wanted to see was this amazing tree library. She sighed and swung her gaze upwards, a grand breath of defeat escaping her lips. As she did, though, something caught her eye, something in the tree. A camera.

And not just any camera, it looked like an expensive, professional camera, just hanging there in the branches by the shoulder strap. Choco stared at it for the longest time. It wasn't likely that someone had just left it there. In that case, someone was in the tree and left in while they were in a hurry. That had to be it, right?

It would be irresponsible of her to just let the camera go to waste in the elements, and the library was closed, she couldn't just knock on the door to get their attention. No, she would do the right thing, get the camera, and turn it into the lost and found. She started climbing the tree, slowly at first, then gaining speed and confidence, she made it up to the camera.

What a nice, shady area, she thought. ...A perfect place to sit and look through the camera. She always was such a nosy thing, and although she always gave good advice, she very seldom followed it. Finding herself a comfortable spot to sit down and turn the camera on, she held up the digital device to her face and sifted through the images. All very plain, places she'd seen of the beautiful little village.

She soon came to a very interesting file: it was a video, labeled Spark Storm: The Secrets Nopony Wants To Talk About. Choco snorted. What a dumb name for a file! She snuggled deeper into the confines of the tree. It was getting colder, and September was almost over. She hit the play button, and settled back in for what was sure to be some nerdy project.

The view opened up into a living room. A plain living room with a simple table and a game system hooked up to a tv in the background. Soon enough, a blue pegasus came into view, messing with the camera and causing the microphone to emit white noise. It went away when he was done adjusting. He was kinda cute, looked to be around 18 years old or so. Wasn't really her type, though. Too clean.

"Ok. We're live, good," he said. He was calm and collected, and he held a stack of papers in his hooves. "I have just received a commission from an anonymous buyer for my services as a journalist. The mission? To find information on an individual known as Spark Storm. The buyer has told me that this stallion is currently away from town, though he consistently returns three or four times a year."

He pulled the paper in front of him out of the stack and slipped it to the back and began reading from the second page. "Information on this Spark Storm was readily available at Town Hall records. It says he is a dark blue pegasus, with black markings on muzzle, forehead and hooves. He was born with a deformity to the wings, in Cloudsdale. He was given up for adoption here in Ponyville to one Cherry Joy, who is currently deceased...seems a bit of a story there, but we're on Spark Storm."

He went on for far too long. Choco Swirl's attention span had long since failed to keep focused on the pegasus droning on and on about some tragic story. Blah, blah, blah. She snapped awake after having nearly fallen asleep to the pegasi's constant droning when a beeping frightened her. The battery was low. She switched the camera off and slipped it around her neck, it might come in handy. She went dead quiet when she heard some voices approaching.

She watched as a dark pegasus, accompanied by the biggest bird she had ever seen perched on his back and apparently holding some little blue bundle in it's wings approached the library and slipped inside. Well, now the library was open. And yet...the camera called to her. As dull as the video had been, she had a feeling there was much more to the story than she had learned. The town could wait - there was a mystery to be solved.

She hopped down from her hiding place and away from the library; it was time to find an outlet and continue this story.


Shadow Heart groaned as he came to. It was dark. So dark. So cold. He opened his eyes to strange, old and empty volcanic rock chambers. He seemed to be in the center of a very large, open room. It was too dark to see the walls, but there was green light where he lay, seeming to come from the floor, just enough to illuminate his position.

The only sounds he could hear was a constant hum. The tone was much too low to notice it if you weren't paying attention. Shadow Heart knew from experience that this was an echo, the sound of wind drifting somewhere in the distance, caught and bounced through the walls of closed spaces giving way to large ones. He was underground.

As to what he was doing underground, he would soon find out from the three figures approaching him. The closest and the smallest was a red earth mare. She was pretty, but her body language spoke volumes. She was bloodthirsty, and untrustworthy. Or perhaps more reliable than anything else, it depended on how you looked at it.

The second, the tallest, was the most frightening of them all. She was black, hard-shelled and thin, with a veil of hair that might have been beautiful if it wasn't so unnerving. Her legs, hair and insectile wings were full of holes.

The third was the most familiar; the dark orange Alicorn that he saw before he woke up here. Had she brought him here? He crouched down low, preparing to defend himself, his horn alight with a firey red magic.

"Oh. Look at that little dragon!" the red earth mare said with no spare amount of derision. "I like him. He's obviously seen blood...can you feel the murder instinct on him? He's killed."

Shadow Heart said nothing, but kept his horn aimed at all three creatures. The tall creature stepped forward, a mocking smirk on her face. "Look at him. So angry. What do you think you can do against the likes of-"

"Enough, both of you," Shimmering Oasis interrupted. Chrysalis huffed and turned to face the Alicorn. She would not be silenced within her own domain!

"Now listen here, you, in my home I command you, not the other...way around..." she trailed off as Shimmering Oasis simply walked around her, her horn glimmering softly in the darkness. Chrysalis fumed and quietly cursed before walking off into the darkness.

"Look at me," Shimmering Oasis commanded the unicorn. He did, but he did not lower his horn. "You and I share a great pain, young colt." Shadow Heart snorted. That was bull. No one knew the pain he had suffered. Not on any level, even if she had seen it.

"I, too, hurt my mother when I was younger."

Shadow Heart felt his determination waver. He started to wonder. Finally, he spoke. "How?"

"You have experienced for yourself. My psychic abilities. They are powerful, powerful enough to negate your spell absorbing capabilities. You know that powers like mine, if they could not be controlled, could greatly hurt anypony unlucky enough to be in it's way."

The unicorn frowned. He slowly started to untense, and suddenly noticed that the two of them were alone. The red earth mare had snuck away when he wasn't paying attention. Still, he had become very interested in what the Alicorn had to say. "What happened? What did you do?"

Shimmering Oasis was silent for a moment, a contemplative frown on her face. After a moment, she said, "Before I knew how to control my powers, my mother and I were very close. We shared everything together. We held no secrets from each other, completely honest and open communication. Or, so I thought."

By now, Shadow Heart and laid down on his belly on the ground, completely at attention to the Alicorn's story. Her words, her tone, her expression, they were all so honest. The unicorn hadn't seen such honesty in so long.

"One day, I happened upon a revelation. I was in the garden at our palace when I overheard my mother telling my father something, something that negated what she told me. She lied. It wasn't that upsetting; my father had told me lies and half-truths before to protect me, I assumed she was doing the same. But then it happened again a month later, and again that same month. My parents would meet in the garden every few weeks, being much too busy to rule an entire country to get much free time to themselves. And every time they did, I was there, hiding, and listening.

Day by day, I grew more and more bitter with my mother. We were losing truth between us and gaining lies that created a border where warmth and honesty used to be. As the years flew by, as they do for Alicorns, my mother grew more and more strange. She made less sense, she babbled, often in pain from terrible headaches. Eventually, I realized that I was causing her pain. Oh, how you ask?" she smiled at the bewildered look on the unicorn's face. He nodded, affirming he wanted - no, needed to know.

"Because I was beginning to develop my powers. All Alicorns have a special gift that separates them from other Alicorns. Mine were powers of the mind. My bitter and angry feelings towards my mother began attacking her mind, even though it wasn't intentional. Probably." She paused, a soft, amused look on her face. "My psychic abilities, mixed with my angry emotions towards my mother, slowly drove her insane. She had to be locked up, and I haven't seen her for hundreds of years."

By now, Shadow Heart had a mixture of emotion on his face. Sadness, confusion, and perhaps happiness, happiness that he had found somepony that might understand his pain. But there was one question on his mind that needed to be answered: "Why me? Why did you bring me here, among these monsters?"

The Princess smiled. "Because you could belong here. Perhaps not among these beasts, but with me. You and I share a sadness that only we can understand."

The unicorn frowned. He was considering it, but..."What would you have me do? I don't understand what's going on."

"I would have you help me. Your abilities could assist me in defeating my enemies." Shadow Heart frowned and began to stand. "In return," she began to add quickly, "I could offer you a warm place to stay. I could offer you love, shelter, food. A sure thing, compared to scraping for food or being chased out of town when you simply ask for some kindness. Give yourself to me, child, and I will forever ensure that nopony will ever hurt you again."

Shadow Heart sighed quietly. There was much to think about, the Alicorn's offer was very tempting. He had grown tired of the life that fate had given him. But did he really want to work hurting others? Then again, maybe the princess' enemies were terrible foes, terrible ponies. There was still so much that needed to be asked. One important question on his mind, though, fought it's way to the surface. "What if I say no? What if I don't want to help you?"

"Then you are free to go. Your assistance would be appreciated, but it is not mandatory. If you wish to leave, then I will take you to the surface myself."

The unicorn looked up into the princess' eyes. She was being honest. Everything about her was so honest. He sighed once more and looked off into the darkness. "Can I at least think on it? Outside, on the surface?"

Shimmering Oasis smiled and stood, offering him a hoof up. He reached out and held her hoof, a light blush cresting his cheeks as he realized how warm her hoof felt. "Come. I think some fresh air would do us both some good."

Shadow Heart walked with the Alicorn, feeling closer to her than he'd felt to anypony in years.

It felt good.


I'm so very sorry for getting this out later than I intended. This is the longest chapter I've ever written, I just hope it's up to the usual standards.

Be sure to check out my deviantart page for fan-art of your favorite characters! http://amarriedmegaphone.deviantart.com/