• Published 27th Dec 2019
  • 309 Views, 35 Comments

The Road to Ornithia - The FraudulentBrit



Old Silver embarks on his first voyage as captain

  • ...
 35
 309

From the Ashes

The Road to Ornithia

Part 18; From the Ashes

“A Mare O’ War?” Angel Wings asked. She, Silver, and everyone else was now basking in the glory of the absolutely massive vessel before them. Nodding, Silver replied, “Aye. A Mare O’ War. Another name for somethin’ like this would be a ship of the line.” As she took that in, Angel Wings could only reply with a simple, “It’s…. it’s massive.”

Nelson then spoke up. “That’s putting it lightly. This is a first rate ship!” The old naval officer turned to Prime Minister Garibaldi and asked, “How did you even get a ship like this?”

“We did not purchase her.” Garibaldi answered. “We built her. When the storm king fell, I arranged the purchase of the blueprints for such a vessel. What you see here is the first, and so far only, vessel of her kind built by Ornithian hands.” He then turned to face Silver and Celaeno as he continued, “Well capitanos. Would you like to see her up close?”

The Mare O’ War, Top Deck

Once the group was on the deck of the ship, it was truly dawning on Angel Wings just how massive the vessel was. The deck was surprisingly spacious, almost as open as a ballroom. As her eyes focused on one of the ship’s masts, she realized that they were far thicker and went up far higher than those of the Hawkins, as if they were the thickest of tree trunks. And where the stairwell leading to the bridge on the Hawkins was simple wooden sets of stairs, this ship’s stairs were grand staircases with slight curves. If she didn’t know that this vessel was a military vessel, Angel Wings could easily have mistaken it for a luxury ship reserved for the Princesses.

Angel Wings was so distracted by the ship’s majesty that she nearly failed to notice Squawks, letting out a squawk of joy, run past her and begin to climb the rigging. Celaeno, having seen him run off, called out, “Squawks! Get back here right now!”

Wyvern simply walked up to the female Ornithian and remarked, “I got a feelin’ you’re gonna have to go after him yourself.” Sighing in resignation, Celaeno mumbled to herself, “I swear, one day he’s going to drive me crazy.”

Silver, still processing the fact he was now on a Mare O’ War, turned to the Prime Minister and asked, “I can’nae believe this. You’re just giving us a warship?” The scarlet politician, nodding, replied, “Si. This is the most powerful vessel we’ve built, and you are the only person, pony or otherwise, I would have to captain her.”

“What about Celaeno?” Silver asked. “I know what you think of me, but why not her?” This time, Celaeno stepped forward and explained, “I already told you Silver. Most Ornithians hate us because we cracked. When we agreed to become his errand runners, everyone here said we were “traditori.” If I were to be captain, nobody would join us.”

Garibaldi then said, “Exactly. But now, especially after you helped charge the yetis away, volunteers will come.” Silver let out a gentle chuckle as he replied, “I doubt it will be that simple.” The Prime Minister continued, “It will not. But you are our best hope.”

As much as he was starting to find all of the praises rather annoying, he still knew why they were considering himself and his crew their saviors. Taking a deep breath, he asked, “Alright sir. What else does this bird have?” smiling, Garibaldi replied, “Follow me Capitano.”

Somewhere in Time and Space

As fire rained down from the night sky, Venicia scurried past the canals, avoiding the falling debris. From behind her, she heard the sound of her father call out, “Keep going Venicia! We have to keep going!”

While it was nothing short of terrifying, this wasn’t the first time Venicia had faced danger. After all, growing up around a revolution had a way of making things that most beings would find intimidating seem like mundane. In fact, Venicia found that situations like this could almost be like a game; one where the goal was not to get hurt.

It was just a shame that the price of failure was something no one could afford.

“Venicia! Attenzione!” Savoy shouted. Venicia obeyed her father and stopped herself. It was at that moment that another orange projectile slammed into the building before her, causing the structure to immediately collapse in a cloud of stone and fire.

As Venicia processed what had just happened, she was lifted by her father as the older Ornithian declared, “You need to be careful Venicia! This isn’t like back in the mountains!”

“Papa, I am careful!” Venicia indignantly replied, only to have her father reply, “This is about more than being careful!” The younger Ornithian gulped at her father’s warning. However, both she and Savoy were distracted by the sounds of marching feet, clanging metal, and low growls.

“Papa?” Venicia nervously asked as she clung to her father. Savoy held his daughter tight as he ran in the opposite direction, away from the oncoming menace. At least, he was until he turned into an unsuspecting corner, only to come face to face with a massive yeti clad in black armor with a green “X”.

With a horrifying roar, the yeti lunged towards Savoy and Venicia. Luckily, the older Ornithian had years of training and experience in avoiding attacks, and was able to dodge the large monster. As the Yeti was too slow to react, Savoy took the opportunity to run around the brute, teasing him with a quick, “Stupido bastardo!”

As Savoy continued to run through the city’s alleys and back streets, he found that the scale of the invasion was far bigger than even he imagined. The burning sky was now filled with dozens, if not hundreds, of landing craft. The charcoal barges were descending upon the city as yetis and satyrs leapt down, prepared to pillage and destroy everything in their path. Even for an experienced revolutionary like Savoy, seeing his home go up in flames and the invaders run amok filled him with an unquenchable rage.

However, he was taken out of his rage when he heard Venicia call out, “Over there! It’s Mama!” Sure enough, Savoy followed his daughter’s extended hand to see his wife Arditi fending off a satyr officer with a saber. With nearly unparalleled skill, the female Ornithian parried the satyr’s own blade and slashed him in the chest, sending her foe collapsing to the ground.

Once the satyr was dead, Arditi noticed her husband and daughter in the distance. Waiving her hand, she called out, “Over here! Hurry!” wasting no time, Savoy ran towards his wife. Once he was close enough, he released Venicia, who immediately closed the distance between herself and her mother.

“Mama!” Venicia cried out as she wrapped her mother in a large embrace. Returning the hug, Arditi replied, “Oh, mio figlia! I’m so happy you’re alright.”

Savoy then interrupted the hug as he warned, “We have to keep moving. The bastardi are descending upon the city, and I don’t think they’re going to stop with surrender.” Arditi nodded as she replied, “Follow me. I know somewhere we can hold out for now.” She then led her family to what she hoped was their safety.

Five minutes later, Arditi had led Savoy and Venicia to an old apartment building. “We’re here.” She said to her family. “There are a few others holding out here.” Savoy let out a sigh of relief as he replied, “Right now it’s better than nothing.” Not wasting any more time, the three Ornithians ran into the old building.

Once inside, Venicia asked her parents, “Mama? Papa? What will happen now?” Taking a deep breath, Savoy answered, “Right now, I do not know.” When the young girl gulped in fear, he reassured his daughter, “But once things die down, I’ll try to find Garibaldi.”

Arditi then asked, “You sure he’s alright?” Savoy replied, “I know he is. You know he’s as tough as steel. Why I bet that right now, he’s organizing the push back. Who knows, maybe he already found that Equestrian Capitano he invited.”

The small family was distracted by the sound of a small ship approaching. As Venicia turned to her mother, Savoy turned to the door as he ever so slightly cracked it open. Peaking outside, he noticed that, indeed, a small gunboat was descending upon them.

However, this vessel was slightly different from the others. While it did indeed have the “X” markings on its sails, this gunboat had a white hull instead of the traditional black or gray of the Admiral’s forces and upon the top of its mast was a blue flag with a golden horn.

But what really surprised Savoy was that this vessel was crewed not by yetis or satyrs, but by a small group of ponies. Quickly closing the door, Savoy turned to his family and informed them of what he’d just seen.

“There’s a small ship outside. It doesn’t look like anything we’ve seen before and it’s crewed by ponies, but the sails are the Admiral’s.” Savoy stated. Arditi gulped as she asked, “You think it’s the Equestrian sailor Garibaldi mentioned?” Hesitating for a moment, Savoy replied, “Possibly.” He then took a peek out of the window, hoping to see if his wife suspicions were true.

Instead, he witnessed a yellow Pegasus in a blue sailor’s outfit and a very unpleasant disposition step off the small ship as he barked, “Hey boys! We got some fish in this barrel! Let’s light ‘em up!”

It was at this moment that Savoy realized that these ponies were not here to help them, and the sight of the gunboat rotating so the broadside guns were facing the apartment filled his heart with dread.

“We have to go!” Savoy quickly ordered his family as he tried to lead them to the stairwell. When Venicia momentarily hesitated, her father shouted, “No! We have to go now!”

“Papa? What’s going on?” Venicia fearfully asked. Neither Savoy nor Arditi said anything; both Ornithians were simply focused on getting their daughter to safety.

Then, all three heard the sound none of them had ever heard before. It was as if someone mixed the roar of a great monster with that of a massive hose. Looking down the stairwell, Arditi was horrified to see bright flames starting to spread through the foyer they had once stood in. And perhaps the worst part was that the fire was immediately spreading throughout the floor.

Luckily, Ornithians are a race known for their speed and agility, and the family of three was able to make their way to the top floor. Once there, they began to catch their breath as Savoy said, “This is bad. I don’t understand how Equestrians could be serving the Admiral.” Arditi could only reply, “Maybe they’re not the Capitano?”

Venicia then asked, “What’s going on?” Savoy knelt down to look his daughter in the eyes as he answered, “The ponies outside are working for the Admiral. They set this building on fire.” As Venicia gulped in fear, her father continued, “Look, You stay here. I’ll try and find another way out.”

This was when, from a floor below them, the three Ornithians heard the sound of other people screaming in fear. Realizing what that meant, Arditi spoke up, “Someone has to help them!” Without any warning, she ran out of the room, much to her daughter’s shock.

“MAMA!” Venicia called out as she tried to chase her mother. Sadly, Savoy stopped her as he sternly reminded her, “You heard me young lady! I need you to stay here. I’ll find your mother and then we’ll find a way out.”

With this declaration, Savoy gave his daughter a final brief hug as he said, “I love you Venicia.” The young child hugged her father back as she replied, “I love you too papa.” And so, the older Ornithian ran off to find his wife as well as any sort of viable escape route.

Venicia would never see her parents again.

But she wouldn’t have long to dwell on that possibility, as the flames soon began to crawl their way into the room. “Oh no!” Venicia cried out as the fire inched its way towards her. Desperate, she tried to hide in a corner, but the flames closed the distance, and soon the fire had clung on to her left leg.

“No! La mia gamba!” Venicia cried in pain as she tried to find anything to smack against her now burning leg in a vain hope of dousing the flame. In the end, she was forced to rip a curtain off the wall and slap it against her leg. Despite these efforts, the flames weren’t going away, and Venicia was starting to feel the pain.

With her leg now horribly burnt, and the smoke starting to fill the room, Venicia managed to hobble her way towards the window. Running on adrenaline, she began to call out for help, hoping someone, anyone, would help her.

Luckily, Benicia’s prayers were answered when, off in the distance, were two Equestrians. One was a pink Pegasus, almost certainly a mare, and a yellow pony in a black coat and hat with, if her eyes weren’t deceiving her, two metal wings. Still, they were ponies that were not in a gunboat, and right now, she knew this was her only chance.

“Someone! Help me!” Venicia screamed. Almost immediately, the two ponies noticed her before the yellow pony gave the Pegasus his hat and, to her surprise, run right into the building.

The pink Pegasus then looked up and called out, “Don’t worry! My friend will save you!” Venicia tried to speak back, but the pain was starting to grow too great, and she found herself collapsing to the floor. And as she began to lose consciousness, Venicia found herself momentarily locking eyes with a yellow Stallion with a red mane and a black coat, worry and concern clearly evident in his face.

The Medical Tent

Venicia awoke in her simple bed, struggling to wipe the last vestiges of sleep from her eyes. “Ugh. Where am I?” she asked herself as she realized where she was; all alone in a hospital tent. She then proceeded to try and rise from the bed and move around.

And then she remembered she couldn’t feel most of her left leg. “Cosa nel….” She began as she tossed the sheets, only to be met with the sight of only one complete leg. Finding herself staring at the stump that was supposed to be her knee, Venicia could only sigh as she muttered to herself, “Of course.”

The fact that she was alone only brought back more painful memories. A quick glance to the makeshift night stand revealed two simple rings, more specifically her parents’ wedding rings. Sniffling, Venicia scooped up the two rings and held them close to her.

“Mama, Papa, I can’t believe you’re gone.” Venicia somberly whispered to the two rings. “I…. You have to be alive.” She desperately wanted to fool herself that her parents were alive. Unfortunately, she just didn’t have the will. Her parents had promised each other that they would always wear their rings, and when Garibaldi told her, she knew that he would never lie about something like this.

It was at this moment that Venicia’s sorrow and pain turned to fury and unquenchable rage. One image began to form in her head; the image of Admiral Ecks. “Sei un mostro!” She growled as the tears continued to bleed out of her eyes.

With a determination few children have, Venicia managed to rise from the bed and, finding a walking stick someone had “generously” left behind, began to hobble out the tent, hoping to find some way of avenging her parents.

The Hawkins

Silver stood on the top deck, overseeing something he never thought he’d have to do; the salvaging of his home. All throughout the remnants of the Hawkins, sailors were removing just about anything and everything that had had survived the flames. Buckets, ropes, riggings, cannons, ammunition, just about anything that could be used was either being carried off the ship or lifted out by dock cranes. All in all, the crew was hard at work saving what they could from the ship.

But they couldn’t save everything. Unsurprisingly, the sails were now nothing more than ash, the galley had been utterly destroyed, and even Silver’s own quarters were nothing more than a charred skeleton. Garibaldi was right; if the Hawkins were to ever be saved, she would need to be rebuilt from the ground up. And if the ship had to be rebuilt, would she even be the same ship?



“Silver?” Angel Wings asked from behind him. The metal winged Pegasus turned to see his weather officer and mare-friend approach him, a bag slung over her back and worry evident on her face. “Are you alright?”

Silver hesitated for a moment before he replied, “Aye. Just….” He paused before he resumed, “I never thought I’d have to see her go like this.” As Angel Wings made her way up to her colt-friend, he continued, “I mean, Cap’n Black Watch said this ship was in his family for generations, and Cap’n Flint captained her for ten years.” He then let out a gentle chuckle as he finished, “I just didn’t think to see her go like this.”

Angel Wings then nuzzled Silver as she apologized, “I’m sorry Silver.” Nuzzling her back, Silver replied, “Thanks Angel Wings. Sorry if I’m bein’ sentimental.” The pink mare simply replied, “I think you’re cute when you’re sentimental.”

After letting out a gentle chuckle, Silver then asked, “So, what else is new?” Angel Wings quickly straightened herself to attention as she reported, “Well Cap’n, I’m pleased to report that the crew quarters are unaffected by the fire.”

“I guess that means at least some things have gone right.” Silver said with relief. “I take it that means your things survived?” Angel Wings nodded as she answered, “Yup. I’ve got my journal, jacket, flight suit, tap shoes, everything.” She then asked, “Did any of your possessions survive?”

Silver let out a sigh as he replied, “A few have. An old journal, a blade from the Skeleton Crew, an old book about the Dinosaurs and spare parts for me wings from Spitfire. Everythin’ else went up in flames.” As Angel Wings gave him a sympathetic look, Silver reassured her, “Don’t worry. I’ve never been one for trinkets, and I keep the most important ones on me.” He then reached into a coat pocket and pulled out a golden set of wings, the badge Spitfire had given him.

“It’s good that survived.” Angel Wings said with relief. “If you lost it then Spitfire would kill you.” Silver let out a hearty laugh as he replied, “I doubt she could even last fifteen seconds.”

However, Silver realized something; Angel Wings was actually starting to nervously tremble. Worried, he asked, “You alright Angel Wings?” The pink mare replied, “I guess. It’s just that I’ve never been to war before.” Silver could only rest his wing on her shoulder as he reassured her, “Trust me, I’m actually pretty terrified.”

Angel Wings then gave Silver a “disbelieving” look as she remarked, “Heh. I doubt it. You’re the bravest pony I know.” Silver simply replied, “That doesn’t mean I’m not afraid.”

Before either Pegasus could say anything else, the sound of something crashing, followed by Nelson shouting, “Skibby!” distracted them. Sighing, Silver said, “I think I better go see what’s goin’ on.” As he began to depart, Angel Wings stopped him when she playfully interrupted, “Oh, there’s one more thing.”

She then quickly kissed him on the lips, followed immediately with a soft, “I love you.” Silver blushed as he replied, “I love you two Angel Wings.” With that, Silver descended down the charred remains of the stairwell as Angel Wings flew off the ship to deposit her things with everything else.

After all, there was still a lot of work to do.

The Mare O’ War, That Night…

As both Equestrian and Ornithian sailors gathered near the Mare O’ War, the atmosphere could only be described as foreboding. No one said anything as they came together. Heck, Perry didn’t seem to notice or even care that he was standing next to Squawks.

Before anyone said anything, Prime Minister Garibaldi arrived, flanked by two Ornithian soldiers. Silver walked up to him and asked, “Prime Minister? Is somethin’ wrong?”

Garibaldi sighed as he answered, “Our scouts have returned, and their news is grim. The Admiral’s forces have surrounded the city and the surrounding territory.”

They were trapped. Silver, Angel Wings, Celaeno, and everyone were now effectively trapped. The silence that followed was absolutely palpable, and one could swear that they could hear the sound of a pin dripping on the other side of the planet.

At least one could before Perry let out a sigh and quipped, “Well, it nice knowing everyone. See you on the other side.” Almost everyone either groaned at Perry’s remark or (particularly Angel Wings and Aquamarine) let out embarrassed giggles. Looking around, the gunnery officer asked, “What? Was it something I said?”

Silver then asked, “I have a feelin’ that’s not the only problem?” Garibaldi sighed as he answered, “They also spotted a gunboat crewed by Equestrians.” Silver could only sigh in anger as he quickly figured out who the Prime Minister was referring to.

“They’re the buggers who burned our ship.” The metal winged Pegasus remarked. Angel Wings then added, “And they killed Benicia’s parents!” The mere mention of the young girl filled nearly everyone with an unquenchable rage.

Managing to regain enough of his composure, Garibaldi turned to Silver and ordered, “Then Capitano, I have a request. Savoy and Arditi were close friends who gave everything for our people. So when you find the mostri who took their lives, take theirs in any way you see fit.”

While Silver would normally never relish in the thought of taking someone’s life, the fact that the pony who had murdered Venicia’s parents was also the same pony who murdered Cap’n Black Watch was an order he was almost too happy to follow. “Before this is all over, Somers dies.” He said with grim determination.

Nodding, Garibaldi then informed Silver, “Thank you Capitano Silver. As for your ship, I have found volunteers to bolster your crew.” He then turned to the ship and asked, “Have decided on a name for her?”

Silver pondered for a moment before he answered, “I have. I’ll call her….. the Victory.” Nelson immediately replied, “I like it. It’s a good name.” Wyvern then added, “Aye. It’ll send chills down the monkey’s spines.”

Silver then turned to his crew and began to speak. “Everyone, I have an announcement.” When he had everyone’s attention, he continued, “Look, I know that this line of work has an inherent chance of risk, but I need to say this now. Not all of us are gonna live through this.”

Everyone was stunned speechless as the processed what Silver had just said. The metal winged Pegasus continued, “I know that the Prime Minister has informed us that we’re trapped, but I won’t force anyone who doesn’t want to to come along. Anyone who wishes to sit this out, take one pace forward.”

No one, neither pony nor Ornithian, stepped forward. Everyone was willing to go along and stop the Admiral. Feeling a small tear form in his eye, Silver couldn’t help but admit, “You guys are the best crew a Cap’n could ask for.”

Celaeno then called out, “Hey, this our home, and that monkey is gonna rue the day he showed his face around here again!” Arrow Bolt then joined in with, “Yeah! Those wankers are finished!” Nelson then added, “They destroyed our home, so I think it’s only fair we raise a little Tartarus!”

This was when Angel Wings then shouted, “For Venicia!” Silver nodded and repeated, “For Venicia.” With that, everyone raised their hooves/winged hands as they cried out, “For Venicia!”

Determination now having engulfed his eyes, Silver turned to Garibaldi and said, “Get those volunteers over here. We sail at dawn.” The Prime Minister nodded as he turned to depart. Silver then faced the crew and said, “We sail at dawn, so get some rest!” Everyone nodded and made their way to the newly christened Victory, preparing for the first night on the massive ship.

No one noticed the hobbling, one legged Ornithian girl sneak her way towards the ship.

Author's Note:

Next Time; the beginning ends and the end begins.