• Published 17th Aug 2012
  • 1,041 Views, 7 Comments

Paradox [NaPoWriMo] - Yukito



Twilight and friends must face a new threat to Equestria: the Princess' former pupil

  • ...
1
 7
 1,041

Chapter 10

Shining Armour sighed as he checked his pocket watch, seeing that it was 15:32. Over an hour until the meeting was set to take place. Celestia would be here with Twilight and Trail Blazer at 16:00. Shining Armour unscrewed the top of his thermos and took a sip of the coffee inside. “Celestia help me…” Shining Armour picked up the crossbow that he would soon be pointing at another pony, loaded with the bolt that may well end that pony’s life.

Shining Armour heard a loud noise behind him, and turned around to see a blinding flash of light at the meeting place. Once it dissipated, and Shining Armour opened his eyes again, he saw three ponies. One was Paradox, and beneath him, was Princess Luna, shackled to the ground with a powerful binding spell. Shining Armour noticed the collar around her neck, and knew that with it, Paradox could end her life in an instant by casting the right spell. Taking him by surprise really was the only way to defeat him without endangering Luna at this point.

The third pony took Shining Armour by surprise. It was Trixie. And she wasn’t bound in any way. She was standing next to Paradox, perfectly free to move as she wanted. ‘Is Trixie working for Paradox? Well, it shouldn’t make things any more complicated. If I can take care of Paradox, Celestia should be able to take care of Trix- Wait, where is she going?

Shining Armour watched as Trixie left the meeting area and started to scale the hill behind Paradox. She reached the top of the hill, looked around for a bit with her horn glowing, and then wandered off into the distance. ‘She’s checking the area? Damnit, just don’t come this way…


Celestia took a moment to brace herself as she and her group neared the watchtower where they would be meeting Paradox. To Celestia’s right, Twilight was hoofcuffed, and her magic was bound. A simple trick wouldn’t be enough for Paradox, so they had to actually restrain her. This made Twilight much more on edge than she would have originally been.

And to Celestia’s left, Trail Blazer, with his hair dyed and styled like Shining Armour’s, and his Cutie Mark obscured with special armour designed for the cold conditions that they were currently in. He was also hoofcuffed, with his magic bound.

“Are you two ready?” Celestia asked as she faced directly forward.

“Ready when you are, Princess,” Trail Blazer said, smiling up at the Princess.

Twilight instead remained silent, which worried Celestia. Celestia knelt down and nuzzled her student. “Are you ok Twilight? If you don’t want to do this, please tell me now.”

Twilight shook her head, and smiled at her mentor. “I’m fine. Just a little nervous, that’s all.”

“Understandable,” Trail Blazer said, “Since we’re risking our very lives.”

Celestia rose up, let out a deep sigh, and then took another moment to ready herself. “Well then, let’s go. It’s time to end this.”

Twilight and Trail Blazer nodded, and followed their Princess to where they would be meeting Paradox.


“So glad you could make it, Celestia,” Paradox said as Celestia, Twilight, and Trail Blazer approached. “And you actually brought those two along? To save your sister? I guess you’re not completely heartless, then.”

“You should know, Paradox,” Celestia retorted, “After all, you fell in love with me. I don’t think you would have if I had no heart.”

Paradox grinded his teeth together and stomped a hoof next to Luna’s head. Luna, who was now fully conscious, flinched at nearly having her skull smashed by the madpony above her. “Shut it! That’s in the past! I would never give my heart to somepony like you!”

“Paradox, before we go through with this transaction, I want you to answer some questions for me.”

“And why should I?” Paradox asked, his grin returning to his face. “No, I suppose I should. Unlike you, I’m not a heartless monster. I’ll at least satisfy your curiosity…Before I erase you from this world.”

Celestia furrowed her brow. “…And how do you plan to do that? With Pandora’s Box?”

Paradox let out a whistle, genuinely impressed at his former mentor. “Wow, you’ve done your research. Find that out yesterday, when you weren’t in Canterlot?”

“What is Pandora’s Box? What does it do? And why did the Alicorns go so far to protect it?”

Paradox raised an eyebrow at the Princess, looking at her with a confused look on his face. “They did?”

Celestia nodded. “According to a document that I found, the Alicorns made use of illusions and traps to keep creatures away from the Ancient Tomb. When the Alicorn-Human war occurred, the Alicorns simply placed a powerful seal on the tomb, making sure that, even with the key, nobody could enter. And when a group of ponies and humans attempted to break the seal, using the Rainbow of Light, they were attacked and wiped out, and the Rainbow of Light was taken by the Alicorns.”

Paradox put a hoof to his chin, and mumbled something to himself. “It seems you didn’t know that, Paradox.”

Paradox shook his head, looking down at the ground. “No. She never told me that…”

Celestia’s eyes widened, and she took a step closer to Paradox. ““She”?”

“Well, regardless, I’m aware that the Alicorns are so protective of that place. But naturally, I’ve already made arrangements to keep them from protecting it.”

“The Alicorn charms?” Celestia asked, receiving a nod and a proud smile from Paradox. “But why? You still haven’t told me what your ultimate goal is in all of this.”

Paradox chuckled as he took a few steps towards Celestia, all the while making sure to remind her that he could finish Luna off in an instant by charging magic into his horn. “Pandora’s Box will be the thing that saves this world. It will save it from you, Celestia.”

Celestia opened her mouth to speak, but Paradox continued before she could. “Pandora’s Box is the origin of everything. Everything that ever was, is, and will be, comes from Pandora’s Box. Think of it as the DNA of existence itself.”

“I don’t understand,” Celestia said, narrowing her eyes at Paradox.

“Basically, “he who holds Pandora’s Box, holds the very coding of the world. At that point, that stallion shall realise the lifelong dream of all ponies: he shall become god”. That’s what it means.”

“You’re insane,” Luna spat, glaring at the back of Paradox’s head.

“Sticks and stones,” Paradox responded.

“I taught you that,” Celestia said, receiving a confused look from both Paradox and Luna. “When you were being bullied at school, I would comfort you, and recite the poem: “Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you”.” Celestia chuckled softly. “I guess you still can’t let go of the past, despite your claims, huh?”

Paradox fumed at Celestia’s mocking, and at Luna’s laughter behind him, but quickly managed to calm down again. “It doesn’t matter. Once I have access to Pandora’s Box, I shall be able to literally erase that memory. It will have never happened, and I will have no memory of it. And of course, that will only be the start.”

“Paradox, please, you don’t have to do this,” Celestia pleaded, taking a few more steps towards Paradox. “I love you, Paradox. You are…A very special pony to me. I’m not sure if I think of you as a son, or a student, or something else entirely…” Celestia stopped just short of Paradox, who was now shaking nervously, and had created a visible thread of magic connecting himself to Luna’s neck, as a visible reminder that he held Luna’s life in his hooves.

“Liar,” he said, glaring at Celestia.

Celestia shook her head, and leaned her head down. “Ready my mind,” she said, shocking everypony there, and receiving a collection of audible gasps. “I’ll allow you to do so, if you don’t have the right charms. Go ahead, the truth cannot be concealed that way. You’ll see how I truly feel…And hopefully, you’ll understand the pain I caused to myself, as well as to you.”

Paradox remained motionless as he stared at Celestia, who was now looking down at the ground with her head hung low, as if she were bowing down to him.

Paradox wanted to take this opportunity to punch her in the face, and then just get the transaction over with. However…

“What are you waiting for? Get this over with!”

“But…We have time, and I always did wonder what it was like reading an Alicorn’s mind.” Paradox charged some magic into his horn, and leaned down to perform the mindreading spell.


Paradox watched as Celestia paced around her room, mumbling something to herself. It was too quiet for him to hear, but since it was Celestia’s memory, he simply had to delve deeper for her mumbling to become audible to him.

“Paradox is unhappy…It’s my fault, isn’t it? Maybe I shouldn’t be so cold towards him. But if I don’t do this, he’ll never break this unhealthy dependence towards me. It’s the only way to make him gain some friends…I have to keep him at a distance…”

Paradox scoffed and was about to leave, when he heard a familiar voice behind him. “Mom?” He turned around to see a younger version of himself (he despised the very sight) entering the room, holding a book in his magic. “Mom…I have to read this book as part of my homework…Could you…Read it with me?”

Paradox remembered this event. He knew exactly where it was going. And just as he expected, Celestia narrowed her eyes at Paradox, and said: “No. I don’t have the time right now. If you don’t want to read alone, ask one of my maids.”

The young Paradox let out a quiet whimper, before bowing and excusing himself, closing the door behind him as he left Celestia’s room. Paradox glared at the image of Celestia before him, and, even though she couldn’t hear him, unleashed a series of curses towards her. He stopped, however, when he heard sobbing coming from the Princess, and saw tears flowing down her face.

“I’m sorry, Paradox…I’m so sorry…Please forgive me, but…I just can’t let you shut yourself out of the world anymore. And…I can’t accept your feelings. Please forgive me.”

Paradox’s anger died down a little bit, but now he was feeling something else. He wasn’t sure what though. He walked closer to the image of Celestia, and wanted to hold her, until he stopped himself. “Yeah right. Like you were ever sorry of anything you ever did. Except maybe finding me in the first place.”

“Exactly. That’s how Celestia is. She’s a demon, who masquerades an angel. You need to do the world a favour, and strip her of all of her power.”


Paradox was now standing in the castle’s throne room, a room that he had been in many times. As the Princess’ pupil, he was often asked to accompany her during the Night Courts. However, right now, there were no appointments, or strategy meetings, or anything like that. There was just Celestia, pacing back and forth in a way similar to the previous memory.

A pony clad in armour entered the throne room. Paradox recognised the armour, and could tell that the pony was a Captain of the Royal Guard. “Knight Sparkle? He’s the one who saved my life that one time, I believe.” A pang of guilt passed through him as he thought about what he was planning to do with his saviour’s children.

“Idiot. It’s not like you asked to be saved, so you have no reason to feel like you owe him anything, right?”

Paradox hesitated for a moment, but then regained his composure, and nodded. “That’s right. I have no reason to feel guilty. That was then, and this is now. Besides, his childrens’ sacrifices will play a huge part in saving Equestria, so he should be happy about it, really.”

“Princess!” Knight addressed, saluting as he stopped just in front of her. “We’ve found him. Paradox was sighted just outside of Canterlot’s walls 10 minutes ago by a travelling Pegasus. Based on the direction he was heading, we anticipate he is currently around the Canterlot Falls area. We have sent a team there to pick him up.”

Paradox realised what day this was now. It was the day that Knight had saved his life. The day that Paradox had finally had enough of Celestia’s abandonment, and had run away from Canterlot to live in the wilderness. He was attacked by a wild bear, and almost fell to his death, but was saved by Knight.

“Wait, the Princess sent out a search party to fine me?” Paradox asked, turning to face the Princess. “But why?”

“Captain, please lead the way,” Celestia said. Knight nodded, and led the Princess out of the throne room. “Paradox, I’m so sorry. Please don’t do anything rash. I just…Hope you’re ok.”

Paradox’s eyes widened as he watched the Princess leave the throne room, and slam the door shut behind her. “She…Cared about me?”

“I did,” a soft voice called out behind him. “And I still do.”

“…”


Paradox followed the Royal Guard as they raced down the road, and then went off to the side, knowing where their final destination would be and deciding to get there early. He arrived at the edge of the cliff next to Canterlot Falls. On the ground was the young Paradox, on his haunches, a look of terror spread across his face. And looming above him was the bear that almost killed him all those years ago.

It was a strange feeling that was passing through Paradox right now. He felt angered and disgusted by the weak colt that he used to be. But he also felt somewhat nostalgic, and part of him was eagerly awaiting the next scene. The scene where the Royal Guard would come up and fend off the wild bear.

“PLEASE! PLEASE HELP ME, MOTHER!”

Paradox’s eyes widened. Did he actually say that? He was sure that he didn’t scream for help, much less from her. He scowled at the trembling colt on the floor, resisting the urge to walk over to him and kick him off the cliff’s edge. Not that he could, of course, but the very image of his past self being so weak and helpless was simply too much for him.

Paradox turned his head to where he knew Knight would be arriving from any second now. Any second now…

“What?” Paradox watched as a white blur sped towards them, a golden aura glowing around it. It sped right through Paradox, and tackled the bear to the ground. Paradox turned around to see who it was, and saw Celestia pinning the bear to the ground, using her magic to restrain its movements.

The young Paradox let out a loud scream, and Paradox immediately turned to see what had happened. For a moment, he had forgotten that his younger self after the bear was tackled. He had stumbled backwards a bit, and fell off the cliff’s edge. Paradox just now realised that he never found out how exactly he was saved from the fall. He just assumed that one of the Pegasus guards had saved him. He certainly didn’t expect Princess Celestia to jump off and gather the falling colt into her forelegs.

Celestia flew back up, and lay the now unconscious young Paradox on the ground. Paradox looked at the scene in surprise, and was even more surprised when he saw Celestia panicking over his younger self.

“Oh god! Please be alright, Paradox! Please don’t go! I’m so sorry, I never meant to hurt you, I’m so, so sorry! Please, just don’t leave me…”

Tears were flowing down the regal pony’s face as she begged for Paradox to wake up. The Royal Guard arrived moments later, but Celestia didn’t even seem to notice. After a few minutes, Celestia had calmed down somewhat, and Paradox was beginning to wake up.

“Celestia?”

Both Paradox and Celestia winced. Paradox remembered how he had started referring to Celestia by her name, instead of as “mom” or “mother”. ‘Wait, why am I bothered by that? Big deal, she saved me. Maybe she just thought I would be a useful magic tool or something…’

“Do you really believe that I would do something like that?” a soft voice called out from behind Paradox.

Paradox remained silent, and watched as Celestia wandered off to the side with Knight to talk to him in private. Paradox followed, curious as to what they were talking about.

“He seems to think that you saved him, Captain,” Celestia informed Knight.

“I see…And you didn’t correct him?”

Celestia shook her head. “I don’t want to keep him at a distance any longer. He almost died because of it. I’m going to start treating him with more care, like I did when he was just a little foal.” Celestia let out a deep sigh. “But I can’t be too easy on him. I need to find some kind of middle ground.”

“…”

“He thinks that you saved his life, Captain. This may be just what we needs to help him reach out to other ponies. Do you think-”

Knight nodded, and saluted to his Princess. “I’ll do what I can, Princess.”

Celestia smiled and thanked her loyal soldier, and then walked over to the doctor who had examined Paradox’s wounds.

Paradox stared at Knight for a few moments, mixed feelings rushing through his mind. Knight hadn’t saved him all those years ago? And Knight was going to and befriend him? Was that just because of Celestia’s orders, or did he genuinely care for Paradox?

Paradox had thought for the longest time that Knight was the only one who had ever actually cared for him, but now, he wasn’t sure what to think. Knight may not have felt anything for Paradox, and may have just accepted Celestia’s orders as simply another mission.

“Well, I’ll never know, since he died the following week,” Paradox said, turning to look at Celestia, another pang of guilt passing through him.

“Paradox…”


Paradox stood in a huge, empty room. The walls, ceiling, and floor were all white. There were no doors, nor any windows. The only thing in the room besides him was Celestia. Or rather, an image of Celestia.

“Hello,” Celestia said, bowing to Paradox. “I can’t see you, but I know you’re there. It seems you’re seeking some kind of knowledge that only I hold.”

“…That’s right,” Paradox said, approaching Celestia. “I want to know why you…Why Celestia kept Paradox at such a distance. Why couldn’t she accept my- his love? Why did she save him if she was only going to abandon him again!?”

The image of Celestia closed its eyes, deep in thought for a few minutes, and then opened its eyes again. “I will explain. Please wait one moment.” Paradox watched as the room around him began to collapse, and in its place, various rocks rose from the ground, and grass began to grow beneath him. The area took on the shape of a graveyard, and Paradox recognised many of the names of the tombstones.

“What is this?” Paradox asked.

“This is a collection of my memories. In particular, ponies who are family…And are now dead.” Paradox recognised a few of the names as Celestia’s nieces and nephews, and some as her children and grandchildren. He even recognised the occasional spouse here and there, and spat at them, though of course the spit passed right through, since the graves were only images.

“I guess I have no place here, right?” Paradox asked, facing Celestia. “After all, I’m not family, am I!?”

The image of Celestia took a few steps closer, and pointed to a grave that was open. An empty grave…For somepony who was still alive. Paradox stepped closer and read the inscription.

Paradox

Paradox furrowed his brow and glared at the image of Celestia. “What is this!? Is this some kind of joke!? I’m not your real son! I tried to kill your student, and your sister, and even now, I want nothing more than to cause you eternal pain!”

“You will always be my son,” Celestia answered, startling Paradox, “No matter what you’ve done, I will always consider you my family. And when family passes away, it is hard…It is even harder when a lover passes away.”

Paradox remained silent, but still glared at the image of Celestia as she moved closer to him. “Paradox, think back to how you felt about me all of those years ago. Back when you still loved me. And then think, what would you have felt if at any point, I had died, and left you all alone?”

Paradox was surprised to find himself actually thinking about it, and even more surprised to find how easy it was to remember those feelings of love that he used to carry for Celestia.

Used to carry? No, these feelings…They’re definitely different from back then. They’re feelings of love, but they’ve changed over the past 23 years. Does that mean he still loved the Princess? How could he, after what she had done to him? After everything that she had put him through?

“Well? How would it feel?”

Paradox opened his mouth to answer, but no words came. He had to admit that if Celestia had died back then, he wouldn’t know how to handle it…No, there would only be one thing that the younger Paradox would do. Celestia was his whole life. His whole reason for living. Without her, he might as well have just…

“You can only imagine this feeling, but I’ve had to live through it, many, many times. And I never wanted to go through it again. Even if it meant rejecting those feelings that you held so strongly for me.” The image of Celestia leaned forward and stroked her cheek against Paradox’s. Or at least, near it, since she would just fall through if she had actually tried to do so. “I’m so sorry.”


Paradox moved his head back, his magic fading from his horn, and closed his eyes as he collected the information from his little journey through Celestia’s mind together. Celestia stood upright, and looked down at Paradox. She saw tears flowing down his face, and he turned his head away to hide them.

“You were…Only trying to protect your own feelings,” he said.

Celestia sighed, and nodded her head slowly. “Yes…That’s right…Despite what you may think of me, even I fall victim to my own feelings, Paradox…I’m so sorry, I never meant to hurt you, but…I just couldn’t put myself through that again.”

Paradox nodded, surprising Celestia, and sending a wave a hope through her body. Was he nodding in understanding? Was he actually agreeing with Celestia? Maybe…Maybe he really can come back!

“Just like me,” Paradox said, turning back to face the Princess, “Just like how I’m acting right now. I couldn’t accept the heartbreak that you put me through, so I…I wanted to make both of us suffer, together.” Paradox let out a weak little laugh, though it was directed more at himself than anything. “I wanted to earn your disapproval, rather than feel I was rejected simply because I wasn’t good enough…And yet, despite all that I’ve done…You still came after me. To try and…Save me.”

“…That’s because I love you, my son.”

The tears down Paradox’s face sped up, and his entire body began trembling. Twilight, Trail Blazer, and Luna all watched in anticipation, not even daring to breath. Paradox leapt forward towards Celestia. Twilight wanted to run towards her mentor to help, but she was still shackled, so she was unable to move.

Trail Blazer smiled at the sight before him, and even Luna’s expression began to soften. Twilight realised that Paradox wasn’t attacking, and calmed down again, smiling as she saw Paradox wrapping his forehooves around Celestia’s neck, crying into her shoulder, and Celestia gentle patted Paradox’s head, taking care not remove his cloak, and wrapping her wings around him.

“I love you too, mother,” he said, sniffling and chocking back a few sobs. “I tried to stop. I really did. I knew that loving you was only going to cause me pain, and I knew it was the reason you were distancing yourself from me. But…I just couldn’t help it. No matter what I tried, no matter how hard I fought back, those feelings would always remain…I’m so sorry.”

Celestia shushed her pupil, and tilted his head up so that he was looking her in the eyes. “There’s no need to apologise for that, Paradox. Love is…A beautiful thing sometimes, but at other times, it is a most ugly presence. You can’t help who you fall in love with, and sometimes, it causes you such pain and misery.”

A silence passed between the two for a few minutes, before Paradox asked: “You…You’re never going to forgive me, are you?”

Celestia sighed, and nuzzled Paradox gently. “I can’t forgive you for the crimes that you have committed.” Paradox felt his tears returning, and Celestia continued. “But you will always be my son, and there will always be a place for you to return to once you have paid for your crimes.”

Paradox looked up at Celestia in surprise. “R-Really? You…Are willing to take me back?”

Celestia nodded, a warm smile on her face. “Of course. I love you, and I always will.”

Paradox felt a smile of his own coming along, and despite the consequences that he knew lay ahead, he couldn’t help but feel a nice, pleasant warmth spreading throughout his body…Only for it to soon be taken by a familiar, chilling sensation.

“You’ve gotta be kidding me! C’mon, Paradox! You’re smarter than that!”

“…Shut up,” he said, surprising Celestia.

“She’s lying! You know that she is! She doesn’t love you at all! She’s just using you as a weapon! Or maybe lulling you into a false sense of security, so that that assassin up there will have an easy shot!”

“SHUT UP!” he shouted, backing away from Celestia. “She’s not lying! You are! You’ve been lying to me since the day I met you!”

“Paradox, what are you saying?” Celestia asked, panic spreading through her body once more.

“SHE LOVES ME! EVEN IF WE CAN NEVER BE MORE THAN MOTHER AND SON, I WANT TO BE WITH HER!”

“What if you can be more than mother and son?”

Paradox gasped, and backed away even more, a look of horror spread across his face.

“Pandora’s Box, remember? You can rewrite this world however you want. You can even create a world where Celestia accepts your feelings. You can make yourself an Alicorn, so that the two of you can live long, happy lives together.”

“No…I…I don’t.”

“C’mon, it’s what you want, more than anything, right? And it’s not like it’ll be a bad thing. She said it herself. The only reason she doesn’t wanna return your feelings of love is because she doesn’t wanna see you die and leave her all alone. This way, there’ll be no problem. She lives, continues to rule Equestria, and you can stay by her side as her loyal husband. Everypony wins, right?”

Paradox stared off into the distance, remaining silent as he ran the scenario through his head countless times. Indeed, it did seem to be an ideal world. Heck, everything would be the same except for that one aspect. He could even bring back those he killed, right? It would be a win-win situation! There’s no reason not to go through with it!

“Paradox?” Celestia asked, taking a step closer, a look of concern growing on her face.

“…Give me Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armour,” he said. Everypony remained silent, their eyes wide as they fixated on Paradox. “Pandora’s Box will be opened. And their blood will be the price.”

“Paradox…You…”

“We’ve wasted enough time, mother,” Paradox said, raising his head and narrowing his eyes at Celestia. “Now, hand them over, or Luna dies. You have one minute.”

Celestia stared into Paradox’s eyes, and tears started to form in her own. What had happened? He was back! The old, gentle Paradox had finally returned, and he was willing to face up to his crimes and return to the castle with her when his time had been paid. So why? Why had he suddenly reverted back to this?

Celestia didn’t have time to run through all of the possibilities, since Paradox was already counting down from 60 seconds. Celestia sighed. This was it. There was no other choice. She had given Paradox his one, final chance, and now, there was no more room for talk. Swallowing hard, Celestia worked up her magic, and for a single second, her entire body glowed a bright golden colour.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Paradox hadn't stopped counting down, and was now grinning from ear to ear at the Princess. “49…48…47…”

Celestia looked to her side, and saw that the shot hadn’t even been fired. What had happened? Why wasn’t Shining Armour shooting?

“…Oh no…”


Shining Armour watched from a distance as Paradox leaned down and cast some sort of spell on Celestia. It was such an easy shot like this…But he hadn’t received the signal, so he stayed on standby for now.

“…Crap!” Shining Armour shouted as he quickly spun around, just in time to see a beam of magic being shot his way. He deflected it by quickly setting up a barrier, and then watched the one responsible step forward. “Trixie…So you really are working for Paradox.”

“…” Trixie charged forward, and threw a spinning kick at Shining Armour, who blocked it and responded by levitating out a knife, and attempted to ram the handle into her stomach. However, Trixie managed to use magic to propel herself backwards, landing a good distance away from Shining Armour.

Shining Armour was about to charge towards Trixie, but noticed something on the ground. There was something written in the snow.

Don’t draw attention to the fact that you’re reading this.

Shining Armour immediately returned his gaze to Trixie, and kept his face directed at her, while his eyes rolled down slightly to continue reading the message.

Can’t talk right now. Just follow my lead.

Shining Armour charged forward, trampling the message, and attacked Trixie by lunging his knife forward. It was a slow, simple attack, that he had little doubt that Trixie could dodge.

Trixie did indeed dodge the attack with ease, and then fired a magical blast at Shining Armour, sending him flying. He landed a good few feet away from her, and on the ground in front of him, he saw another message. There was no doubt that these were being created by her illusionary magic.

Play along, and don’t die. When I give the signal (you’ll know it when you see it), fire a shot at Paradox. I’ll conceal the shot with an illusion.

Shining Armour rose to his hooves, shook his head to clear his mind, and then glared at Trixie, who simply stared blankly right back at Shining Armour. ‘Trixie…What’s going on? Are you in some kind of danger?

The two continued their pretend fight for a little while longer. As time drew on, Trixie’s blows were starting to pack a little more punch behind them. She knew that Paradox wouldn’t buy her act forever, and she knew that if she didn’t end this soon, he would find out what she was doing. But whenever she presented a chance for Shining Armour to shoot Paradox, and gave the signal (in the form of a neon sign on her hat reading “fire!”), Shining Armour would refuse to take the shot.

There’s no way he can be that dense. He must be waiting for a different signal of some kind…Damnit, just take the stupid shot already!

Eventually, the two saw the gold glow coming from the Princess, and when Shining Armour suddenly started moving with a lot more desperation, she realised that that must have been the signal that he was waiting for.

Ok, let’s try this one more time,’ she thought to herself as she and Shining Armour casually moved over to a good sniping position, whilst continuing their hooffight. Trixie got herself into position, and used her magic to mask Shining Armour’s presence from all those in the surrounding area, including herself. She also used her magic to create an illusion of Shining Armour for her to fight, which, again, even she was affected by. She had to be, since Paradox could see whatever she saw.

Shining Armour aimed his crossbow down at Paradox, and took the shot.


“37…36…35…”

“Ok!” Celestia shouted, before turning around and using her magic to allow the two ponies behind her to move on their own. She signalled for them to come over, and they obeyed. ‘This is it…My last chance…I’ll have to hand them over, and once Luna is safe, I can try out this new charm. If all goes well, I should be able to stop Paradox before he manages to complete the ritual…But if not…Twilight, please forgive me.'

Twilight and Trail Blazer exchanged nervous glances with each other. They weren’t sure what the Princess was planning, but there were both hoping it was some brilliantly thought out plan to catch Paradox off guard…That was the hope, and although Trail Blazer was confident that his Princess was never going to simply hand them over, Twilight’s own doubts towards her mentor surprised her.

She admitted it herself,’ Twilight thought as she walked over towards the Princess, ‘Even she can fall victim to her feelings. And her strongest feelings…Are towards the only member of her family that won’t die of old age long before she does. After Luna returned, Celestia spent the whole week with her sister, despite the High Council’s complaints. I saw her begging Luna for forgiveness…If Luna is in danger again, I wonder what Celestia would prioritise more?

The thoughts running through Twilight’s head disturbed her, and she wanted to dismiss them, but when she saw the grim look on Celestia’s face, she was certain that things weren’t going to end well.

“Hey, Paradox.”

Paradox sighed in annoyance. “What?”

“That sniper’s about to take the shot. Dodge to your left in 3…2…1…NOW!”

Paradox turned around and quickly rolled to the left. However, due to the strong winds in the area, the shot was still able to hit the right side of Paradox’s face, leaving a nasty wound that dripped blood, and causing Paradox to fall to the floor in pain, screaming and cursing like Celestia had never seen him do before.

Celestia takes his opportunity to fire her magic towards Luna, breaking the binding spell placed on her, and Paradox’s control over her life.

“Oh no you don’t!” Paradox shouted, using his magic to detonate the anti-magic ring on Luna’s horn, sending intense levels of pain throughout Luna’s body, and creating a smokescreen that temporarily blinded the two Princesses.

“AH!” Celestia heard Twilight scream. “PRINCESS! HELP!”

When the smoke had cleared, Celestia found Paradox holding Twilight in his magical grasp, applying an Alicorn charm to her horn, and glaring menacingly at Celestia. “Stay back!” he demanded.

“Paradox, let her go,” Celestia ordered, a stern look on her face, “Right now.”

“Sorry, mother, but the final act is just about to begin…And the actors can’t be late.” Paradox’s horn lit up, and before Celestia could react, the Alicorn charm on Twilight’s horn did too.


Shining Armour watched as a bright light shined on Trixie’s back. Trixie tried to look over her shoulders but was having little success. “What the? What did he place on me!?” she demanded, and before she could receive an answered, a blinding light filled the area.

Shining Armour opened his eyes to find Trixie gone. “W-What happened?” He looked towards where the Princesses were, and his eyes widened he couldn’t see either Paradox or Twilight. “TWILEY!” he shouted as he raced towards the scene.

One he was there, he found Celestia standing perfectly still, her eyes closed as a golden glow took over her whole body.

“Princess, what happened!? Where’s Twilight!?” he demanded, almost in a threatening tone.

“Captain!” Luna shouted, gaining Shining Armour’s attention. He saw Luna sitting down on her haunches, panting heavily. Her horn was cracked in various places, and had smoke coming out of it. “Thou shalt show more respect when thou addresses thine Princess of the Day!”

“Where’s Twilght!?” he repeated, this time asking the Princess of the Night.

“She is gone,” Luna said flatly, “Paradox hath abducted her. She is now likely in the Ancient Tomb.”

“I’ve got it!” Celestia shouted. The three ponies still present turned their gazes to her, and she levitated out two Alicorn charms from bag. “They work, Luna! With these, we can copy the residual magic left by Paradox’s charms that still lingers in the air, and follow him to the Ancient Tomb!”

Shining Armour felt hope running through his body once more. “Well, what are we waiting for!? Let’s go!”

Celestia shook her head. “Unfortunately, only I can go. These charms are weaker versions of the kind that Paradox uses, and only an Alicorn can use them.” Celestia turned to Luna, who was attempting to stand up, but couldn’t quite manage it. “Luna, you stay here. I’ll go alone.”

“No,” Luna said, once again trying to stand up, and this time succeeding. “We shalt be just fine, sister.”

“You’re injured. You can’t fight in your state.”

“We must do our part, sister,” Luna insisted, walking up to Celestia. “After all, it is our fault that we are all in this mess right now. We must make amends.”

“…You’re going to follow me even if I say no, aren’t you?” Luna nodded, and Celestia let out a deep sigh. She didn’t have time to argue about this, so she just decided to let Luna have her way for now. “Very well. But don’t do anything rash, alright?”

Luna nodded, smiling up at her sister. “We’ll just be ready to back you up, sister.”

Celestia nodded, and handed one of the Alicorn charms to Luna. The two activated their charms, and, just like Paradox and Twilight moments earlier, vanished into a bright, blinding flash of light.