• Published 28th Nov 2019
  • 232 Views, 3 Comments

The Battle of Wits - Michael_Ing



Celestia sends an intelligent filly prodigy to Ponyville to live with Twilight, in hopes that the two will learn from each other and fix some small-scale problems, but Twilight doesn't her one bit.

  • ...
 3
 232

Competition for Twilight

"Spike!! Wake up!!! Come on man you don't wanna miss Daring Do's book signing at the town square do you?!"
A bouncy Twilight awoke the young dragon, in which he looked rather distressed and rubbed his eyes.

"Twilight, the fact that you do this to me every Saturday is beginning to get suspicious."
Spike said as his cold eyelids slowly rose.

"What do you mean, Spi-"
"Nah don't start this shit man, you know you get a kick from watching me wake up from my well earned sleep, like especially at the weekend, when everypony else is getting a lie in! Like dude what time is it.."

Spike looks over his shoulder to see a blurry grandfather clock, but could still make out the black bars signalling the time.
"8am, and doesn't that Daring Do meet-up not happen till like lunchtime?"

"Well, yeah.. but we need to be organised! Come on, no time for sleep! Help me find all my Daring Do novels."
A distressed Spike got up from his rounded-bed and heard his knees crack, he quietly sighed to himself.

"My god, why me, why was I the one in that fucking egg."


3 hours fly by, for Twilight, not for Spike, and the duo accumulate over 20 Daring Do novels, with the Golden Oak library looking filthy with the random piles of spell books lying on the dry oak floor. Spike, still contemplating his existence, overhears Twilight's chattering.

"Oh damn, I remember this gem! 'Daring Do and the Drunk Football Supporter that everyone was too scared to confront'! Oooh! I just have so many questions for her that I didn't have enough time to ask at her home... like how many time-"

Spike buried his head into a pile full of dusty books. The particles of dust entering his lungs had better long-term effects than hearing Twilight talk, especially about books.

Then, feeling a tingling in his throat, Spike leaped out of the spell books and prepared for yet another letter from Princess Celestia. Twilight stopped talking, for once, and watched as her life-long assistant produced yet another letter of royalty.
Spike coughed, mostly to look for attention off Twilight, and prepared to rant, once again.

"Fuckin'... why is that the most efficient way of transporting letters?! Oh I get it Princess Celestia is very busy and all, but does she not have the decency to think about the bodily features of people like me? Remember the first time she sent a letter, Twilight?"

Twilight slowly walked over to pick up the scroll, and rolled her eyes, as she prepared to hear this story for the 1000th time.

"I was gonna die Twilight, I'm not joking! I remember my thoughts that moment, 'Well Shit, guess I'll die to my stomach acid over-reacting.' and when I finally got that letter out of my system, I couldn't eat for fuckin' days. Like, I tried having some grapes but the fuckers just weren't going down, that's how fucked my body was after that, it was like-"

Spike's voice became static while Twilight was concentrating on the Princess's handwriting, although Spike was shouting so loud that all Twilight got to see were a few words. 'New Pony.... Just like you... love to see you..... only 12 years old....'

"Can it, Spike!" A frustrated Twilight rose her voice at the frowning purple-scaled dragon. Now she can fully concentrate on what the letter reads.

"To my Dearest Twilight, After seeing your developments with friendship and magic in Ponyville, yaddah yaddah yaddah..."

Twilight skimmed past the boring bits that she'd usually read, 'You've learned your lesson this week,' or 'Your courage this week was outstanding', then Twilight saw a word that caught her off guard, something she didn't expect.
*Sharky*
Twilight raised her left eyebrow and continued reading from that point on.

"A new pony named Sharky joined my academy recently and showed with upmost respect and courage her ability to use magic in a similar way to you. She reminded me of you when you first joined, and I believe you and her have the capability to join forces and get smarter and smarter, so one day, you both may hold a special place in royalty at Canterlot."

Twilight felt a grin growing on her face.
"Oh shit, a new filly's in town!"

Spike looked up at Twilight, and this time he was interested in what she had to say.
"Apparently she's only 12 and has many skills. Like intelligence, bravery, carver, mathematician, sportspony..."
Twilight started slurring her words after reading some more key skills. She put a look on her face that told Spike that it was some pretty mundane stuff, and that she can easily do the same as her. Spike looked at Twilight with a surprised look, and decided to speak again, forgetting about his rant on Celestia's form of transporting letters.

"Oh shit she's the whole lot, you're not a sportspony are you Twilight?"

A stubborn Twilight opened her mouth, and thought about what she was gonna say.
"Nah remember I came 12th in that race and I beat AJ and Dash?"
Spike chuckled to himself, and Twilight's mood instantly changed.

"What other things did Celestia say she could do?" Asked a curious Spike, starting the gain an interest in the young prodigy.
Twilight rolled up the scroll, ignoring the abundance of other skills. "Just them, basically Celestia's sending her over for a week to gain more intelligence from the locals and myself. Guess I'll have to show her some of the more advanced shit, even though she probably won't comprehend it."

"Teh, sure. When's she coming over?"

Twilight ignored Spike's past comment and responded.
"She's getting a train from Canterlot tomorrow morning, but we have to write to confirm first. SPIKE! TAKE A LETTER!

"Ohh... you don't have to fucking shout! I'm right here! Besides you're the unicorn here with years of studying magic, do you not have the power to pick up a virtually weightless pen and write down all this shit to the Princess?"
Twilight turned to Spike, "Jesus, what's up your ass, Spike?"


Twilight and Rainbow Dash stood in line anxiously, because they're favourite author was just a few steps ahead of them.
"I actually know Daring Do on a personal level, I shouldn't be in this line with the rest of you plebs." Rainbow Dash said as she hovered in the air clutching onto her novels, trying to get a glimpse of the Mare's temple.
Rainbow's words flew past Twilight's conscience, as the only thing on her mind was Sharky. The fucker is only 12 and yet she qualifies to be a mathematician.

The line grew shorter and shorter, and Twilight was able to catch the sight of Daring Do's amber cowboy hat. The thought of Sharky was starting to fade away. 'She probably knows the basic principles... she hardly has the time to recite Pi and also have the stamina to run 100m.' Twilight's mind soothed her, and she got excited seeing that she was next in line to see that brave pony she grew to adore.

"Hey Dash, I was getting scared, I thought I was gonna see you in here!"
You could tell Rainbow Dash was silently freaking out in her mind, but her physical stance was trying to show that she was just here because she was bored, or she had no choice, but even then she was finding it difficult to find a stance she was comfortable with. Hovering a few metres above the soil with her hands behind her back, eyes half closed, anything to make her look like she wasn't a total fangirl.

"Yo what's up Do, Twilight told me about this little meetup you were doing and she was wondering if I wanted to get my novels signed, and I was like pff Twi, she's my friend I don't get stuff signed by my friend but she was like but Rainbow I don't want to look like a total loser getting my novels signed by myself,"
Rainbow Dash put a hoof up to Daring Do's ear and whispered,
"I just thought I'd get these signed so she doesn't feel left out you know?"

Twilight could perfectly hear Rainbow's shit attempt at trying to be discrete, and Dash was the pony that begged her to go with her in the first place, but Twilight decided that Rainbow probably doesn't want to be shown as a total fan-girl towards one of her greatest heroes. Besides, Twilight was pretty excited to be meeting one of her favourite authors once again, and it'd be weird to go alone.

Daring Do smiled at Rainbow and let smirked as she saw Twilight's huge stack of novels that she collected over the years. It kinda looked like a game of jenga, if jenga consisted of dusty adventure novels with some of the covers ripped off.

"Sorry the books aren't in a good state, kinda had a little emergency this morning.
Daring Do, still dumbfounded at the amount of novels stacked in front of her, replied,
"It's alright, I think you may have brought.. duplicates.. of the same novels.."

Twilight felt a little angry, "No actually they're just from different era's of time, like this one, the original Daring Do story, published in 1993, the cover is you swinging into a dark cave, but in the 2013, the 20-year anniversary re-release had the cover remastered, see your character has more of a ligh-"
Daring Do quickly phased out of what Twilight was blabbering about and started signing the multiple copies of her novels.

After about 10 minutes of signing both Twilight and Rainbow Dash's novels, Daring Do let out a sigh of relief.
"Alright, thanks Do, I'll see you around alright?"
Daring Do didn't respond, instead she called the next person up and mumbled something, most likely a swear word. (Understandably)


After having a tasty dinner at Sweet Apple Acres with the others, Twilight returned home. She completely forgot about Sharky, not until Spike confronted her at the front door.

"So, what time is she arriving, like, do we have to meet her at the train station?"
Twilight remembered the whole thing.
"Yeah I guess... 10am... you seem to be talking about her a lot for some reason.."
Twilight looked down at Spike, who was wearing a pair of red cheeks. He looked away in shame, in hopes Twilight didn't catch a glimpse of him.

"I just... want to make sure she gets to the right place, and shit.."
Twilight smiled and sat down, releasing a small breath.
A troubled Twilight thinks to herself.
'I know she can't be as smart as Celestia makes her to be, Celestia always make people seem better than what they already are.'

"Alright I'm hitting the hay, just to make sure you don't fuckin' pull that shit you did this morning."
Spike slowly ascended the stairway, and Twilight was left thinking again. Something that happens often.
Twilight was always considered the smart pony. The go-to when you needed plans for making blueprints, or to help the crusaders with their homework. She never would give them the answer, she'd give them small hints until a lightbulb lit above their mane.

Nopony was smarter than her. At least that's what she thought.

Author's Note:

Chapter 2 will be arriving very quickly, I just felt that implementing Sharky's arrival in this same chapter would take up a lot of space and I wanted to keep this short and simple. A few short stories will be emerging aswell. You should throw this story in your tracking folder just to know when Chapter 2 comes out, which will probably be either tomorrow, or the coming days. (Maybe even tonight if I'm feeling lucky)

Aight, that's it.