• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 13,587 Views, 2,383 Comments

Child of Mine - Starscribe



After discovering a strange animal abandoned in the forest, Kyle is in for far more than he could've bargained for.

  • ...
55
 2,383
 13,587

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59: Hope Radiant

Kyle flew aboard the pony airship Radiant Hope, a zeppelin of such size that it defied easy understanding. Internally she was about as large as one of those huge Dreamliner aircraft, with multiple floors and plenty of cargo space. Her gasbag was large enough to dwarf the occupied sections, but not nearly so much as she might've expected.

But analyzing the impossibility of their transport was far from the center of Kyle's thoughts, given her last few days.

The ponies gave her and her sister a private stateroom, which the guard outside insisted was a fantastic luxury and act of generosity. It had a single shared living space, but at least they had a private bathroom. Neither had any possessions to bring along, so mostly they sat around trying to read books written in the pony language, or watched the trees passing underneath.

"This is exactly what we wanted," Kyle said, for the tenth or eleventh time. "Fay is back with her family, we're going to be changed back to normal... everything is perfect."

She shifted uneasily on the couch, adjusting her rear legs as best she could. The days of their trip were not passing painlessly, now that Fay wasn't in her company. Without the baby to relieve the nursing pressure, she had to resort to an ineffectual use of her magic. "We don't even have to drive home across Canada."

Kara appeared behind her, touching her shoulder with a hoof. "I would feel better if you believed that."

She twitched, sitting up and glaring at her sister. "I'm sure it'll pass. I've been caring for Fay for months now. I'm just... missing something familiar. That's it."

Kara hugged her side, though her contact lasted only for a few moments. "Just try to keep perspective. This was only a few months. It wasn't supposed to be the rest of our lives. Technically, I guess it wasn't supposed to happen at all. No matter how overwhelmed you're feeling now, just remember that there's a real world waiting for us. There's school, our friends, growing up... everything we should've had. It was noble to take on the burden you did, but you don't deserve it."

She circled slowly around the room, before settling a tray on the bench beside Kyle. It was the lunch they had been delivered, which neither of them had eaten. "You had all the consequences of teenage pregnancy, without the indiscretion first. I'm pretty sure you're owed some fun before the universe brings down the crushing hand of karmic justice."

Kyle had no response to that—but someone knocked at the door, and saved her the trouble. "Yeah?"

It swung open, and a familiar pony waited outside.

Well, “familiar”. Monday was as much a victim as any of them now, though she did very little to show it. Since their first meeting in the ruins of the Lodge, she had styled her red and yellow hair, acquired a satchel overflowing with magical supplies, and mastered levitation.

"My apprentice!" she exclaimed, waving an energetic hoof. Kyle approached, taking it. Every little reminder of her last few months was subtly painful now—but there was no reason to reject Monday's company. "Apologies for not being available. I've been anxiously engaged in your welfare."

They exchanged an awkward hoof shake—well, awkward for Monday. She still kept her tail tucked between her legs, and never faced away from Kyle. It wasn't like she had enjoyed the nudity much either.

"I notice they don't have a guard at your door," Kyle said. "You can just walk around the ship wherever you want?"

"Well... I suppose I can. You're an Alicorn, kid. I'm still getting to know the local verbiage, but you're damn official now." She gestured at Kyle's flank, and the simple symbols there. It was a pair of overlapping hearts, with a larger blue one overlapped with a smaller purple one near one corner. "I'm no archmaster, so I can't be very helpful there. But you are, somehow. Dominion of stars and stones, of true names and blind sympathy. Lifeless, deathless, and unknown."

She lowered her voice whispering directly into Kyle's ear. "Your baby has not calmed down since they got here. The mom is afraid of what might happen if she sees you again."

There were many things Monday could've said to calm her down, but that wasn't one of them. Kyle's wings opened to either side, spreading for a takeoff she wouldn't make. Fay was in pain, right now, and there was nothing she could do about it.

"You said you were helping us?" Kara asked, touching Kyle gently on the shoulder again, dragging her back to reality before she could let that thought spiral out of control. "Anything we should know about?"

"For you in particular, actually!" Monday straightened, removing something from her satchel. It was a bracelet, though considering the actual size of their legs, it would probably be choker-sized on a human being. "For you there was no doubt over your preferences, and no Imperial magic to contend with. The sorceress, Akiko was thoroughly innovative with her design. Princess Twilight has improved it significantly. The finished version will adjust itself as you change, and carry stealth charms to make you immune to magical scrutiny. An important fact, given the world you're returning to."

You're returning to, Kyle noted. She didn't say anything, stepping aside so she could give Kara space, while still inspecting the bracelet. The “sense” radiating from the jewelry was familiar. Though the design had been so miniaturized that she couldn't judge the patterns of wires and crystal anymore.

Kara took the object, resting it in one hoof. "I was a little... distracted, when we were her prisoners. This is the cure? A magical vaccine, to reverse what I've been through?"

"Strictly speaking, no." Monday settled onto her haunches, glancing at Kyle. "You're the one who told us to retrieve it. Your sister doesn't know?"

Kyle shrugged her wings, ears pressing flat. "Staying alive was more important. Though I... kinda thought the ponies would have a cure. They have so much magic!"

"For some of those affected, yes," Monday said. "Transformation magic is costly and difficult when permanent, even for them. But in time, all those affected can be returned to themselves.

"Both of you challenge this notion, though for different reasons. Kara, your issue is that your body is an... animate vessel of Tass and thaumic crystal, with the purpose of housing the soul of a servant or familiar. You are not, strictly alive, so transforming you back is... impossible."

Kara slumped backward, eyes widening with shock. "W-what? I'm... I'm dead?" She twisted, looking to Kyle for support. "Did you know about this?"

"You're not dead!" Kyle insisted. It was her turn to offer support, holding her close with one leg. "Who cares what their magic system calls it? Just tell us about the treatment, Monday. I didn't have time to share everything you taught me."

Monday nodded, brushing a few strands of orange from her face. "Well, the treatment is simple. Your grandfather provided reference images, and we extrapolated based on another year of aging. Just put it on." She retreated a few steps, towards the door. "If you'd like some privacy while you try it on—"

Kara answered by slipping the jewelry onto her leg.

The result was near-instantaneous: one moment a pony stood beside her, the next—her sister.

On a ship made for horses, surrounded by nothing but horses, it was easy to forget how small humans could be. Kara shivered, taking a few nervous steps closer to Kyle. Standing at full height, Kyle was still taller than she was, to say nothing for all the other dimensions.

She shivered, glancing down at herself. But any embarrassment Kyle would've felt was even further removed than weeks of shared nudity. Why had that mattered exactly?

"This is... unsettling," Kara whispered. "And chilly. They need to heat this place more."

"Sadly I can't leave that with you," Monday said. "Try the full range of motion, if you would. If the spell survives, we'll move forward."

Kara did, performing a few stretches, jogging in place, and a few other basic moves. "When you bring the final version, clothes would be good too. My sister's one thing, but I can't walk home like this."

"Of course." Monday waved a dismissive hoof. "There's local talent working on that. Now while you remove that, pull it off as quickly as you can. There are some size variables to be tweaked."

Kara did, and her pony self returned, apparently unaffected by the intermediate magic. "I'm not thrilled about wearing something the rest of my life. But at least I'm not in a wheelchair or anything. Just... keep the bracelet discrete, please. I'd like to do cheer again next year."

Monday settled it carefully back in her satchel, then turned on Kyle. "Your case presents a few other challenges, apprentice. You aren't a passively magical creature like your sister—you're going to be pumping it out in quantity. But assuming we even can treat you, there's another question to ask."

She levitated a notebook out into the air beside her, along with a pen. "We had your grandfather's photos for you as well, apprentice. But I would rather confirm your desires before proceeding on an assumption."

How would you know? Kyle's ears flattened again, and she shifted a few steps away. "If it's even possible," she began. "I guess you know that better than me. But if you succeed. I'd really, rather... not."

She'd already taken some baby steps but if now was the time to commit, she was ready. "Make us maternal twins," she added. "If you can get it to work. I know it's going to strain all kinds of credibility. But I didn't have many friends anyway. This might be part of why. There are some parts of this horse thing that... made me more comfortable."

Monday didn't laugh, point, or scream. She just scratched a few things down onto her pad, tucking it away again. "I suspected as much. Here's today's lesson, apprentice, and it's focused on transfiguration."

Despite seeming so much older and more mature than Kyle, she was only a tiny bit taller. Barely big enough to meet her eyes. "Every creature has a pattern, you'll remember that part. But there's one thing I didn't tell you: the power of the caster is only half the equation when you're trying to change something. The other half comes down to a person's nature. You can force someone to be something they aren't. But even if the spell's permanent, it won't last. They'll be dead long before the magic wears off.

"But the reverse is also true. Sometimes change is easy, sometimes it's natural. Sometimes maintaining it is almost effortless. When you first posted, I thought I'd be coaching you through your last few days. Either the spell would break, or you'd get sick and die. Didn't happen that way, did it?"

"No," Kyle said. "It didn't. Is that... okay? Guess it's easier for you to find a new form. You're just gonna change back into yourself, right?"

Monday laughed. "Oh, I'm not going back. That's the other option you should at least keep in your mind. Your situation isn't the same as your sister's. You're an Archmaster—an Alicorn. Even the best disguise and spells won't be able to hide that. You'll need to be prepared to defend yourself, or at least assert your right to stay far away from magical affairs."

She sealed the saddlebags on her shoulders, then turned to go. "If you stay, I could even keep teaching you. Or you could find someone local. But in some ways, we made this trip together. If you want the company, I'll be here."

She left, leaving Kyle more confused than ever before.

PreviousChapters Next