• Published 4th Mar 2020
  • 1,227 Views, 276 Comments

The Little Curiosities - Comma Typer



Everyone's turned into Equestrian creatures and reality's turned magical. The former humans of Canterlot City and beyond try to restart their lives. These are their stories.

  • ...
5
 276
 1,227

Chapters Next
Hold Your Fire

Another shot down Spitfire’s throat. Hard vodka: it scrapes her throat falling down.

Rainbow takes a swig of former human beer, wiping the too-bitter taste off her mouth. “I get that you’re not exactly calm in drill sergeant mode, Spits, but… you know they’re not exactly born for your brand of flight training.”

“Yeah, yeah... rub it in, why don’t you?” A yellow foreleg rests on the counter. She then smacks her muzzle on said counter. “Their first real flight lesson is botched all thanks to me… at least, according to you.”

A roll of the eyes, a concerned sigh come out of the commander’s friend. “I know this is going to sound rich coming from me, but have you considered that you were... too much of a hothead?”

The veteran huffs a snort fit for a gruff mare. “And what makes you think that?”

“How you constantly shouted at your other self for every little mistake?”

Spitfire freezes. Vodka splashes onto the counter in drops.

“Look… you want to see them succeed. Yeah, participation trophies ain’t your thing. Still, a little mercy won’t hurt, ‘specially since they’ve had wings for only… what, two weeks?”

“So?” Calmly wipes the counter clean from vodka-smelling evidence of weakness. “It’s a chaotic dragon-eat-dragon world out here. They gotta learn how to roll with the punches and take control of their new abilities.”

“Yeah… but they’re barely ponies. Not the same way we are for the last… well, lifetimes.”

The rainbow horse resorts to another sigh. A swig of more beer. Hard day of her own earlier on: the pegasi were clueless but remained eager to learn evasive maneuvers—self-defense in mid-flight. Something these ponies really need.

She puts down the mug with a deep thunk!

“Think of them as foals, Spits. Foals in adult bodies, but still foals. You got the discipline part down and that’s good... but they need somepony who understands that two extra limbs and being able to fly… that’s all new to them. Trust me: I helped Twilight cope with her wings when she became a princess, and at least she’s best friends with me and Fluttershy. These guys… they used to think pegasi were just myths!”

That’s enough to get Spitfire’s head rolling—would have blurted out, That’s ridiculous, but courtesy gets to her. “Alright, fine. I’m a hothead, I made somepony cry, and I’ll learn from it, yeah?”

Rainbow merely cocks her head to the side. This isn’t over yet. Spitfire should know: having a poster child for friendship and harmony in the team, she has realized, stirs up the conscience once in a while.

“Okay… I guess you expect me to go to her house and ask for forgiveness, huh?””

“Yup.” With crossed forelegs and all. No irony, shame; not even a drop of sarcasm.

Spitfire takes it as a cue to order another shot.

When it slides her way, she mutters, "Remind me to do it in the morning, Crash. I’ll be too plastered to apologize tonight.”

She drinks up, much to the dismay of Rainbow with her shaking head. But she drinks up with her anyway. It’s been a long day.

Chapters Next