• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 7,578 Views, 508 Comments

Wings - Silent Bob



Rainbow Dash makes friends with a future human pilot through her dreams.

  • ...
21
 508
 7,578

Flames of War

Heh, well, I've kind of gotten a kick out of the whole 'writing out my thoughts' thing in the past. I guess it kind of helps organize them, ya know? Lays em all out so I can make a decent conclusion on things. But yeah, this'll be my first log in a journal of many. It's been a month or so since Dashie got out of the hospital. I had spent every day with her, pretty much, doing odd jobs here or there and helping with civilian efforts when I could. We caught up quite a bit. Told each other how our lives were going before they got turned upside down by the wars going on in both worlds. It's strange, really: how they've both sprung up at the same time. The largest wars in our lifetimes to hit our worlds...

Yeah, it kind of sucks.

I'm not going home, though, unfortunately. Me n' Dashie are going to sit tight here for a bit until we get word from Artie on whether or not Dashie can go home.

If we get word from Artie.

But yeah, it's been an interesting month. Mr. Churchill was kind enough to provide the two of us with a little cottage right outside London. It's a rainy, cold place, Britain, but in some ways, the rolling hills remind me of home. A home I miss, dearly... as well as ma', though she's doin' alright. Was worried about me for a bit, but I think I've recovered from my... flight of vengeance-

Wow, that doesn't sound overly-dramatic.

Anyway, Dashie, ever the glory hog, decided she was going to simply walk through the streets of London to the cottage... boy, was that interesting.

"Ms. Dash, is it true there are others of your kind where you come from?!" a random Brit called, smiling at her as she walked in the center of a quartet of soldiers.

"You betcha!"

"And will they come to our aid?"

She winced slightly. "I-I'm afraid that's impossible. I'm kind of alone here."

"Are you a space alien?" a random child grinned.

"Nope! Not even sure what an 'alien' is," she smiled back.

"Would you ever let people ride you?" another Brit called.

"Errrr.... nope..."

"What made you decide to help us in particular?" another citizen asked.

"It's complicated, but let's just say I sympathize with you and all of Britain," Dashie beamed.

"Are ya gonna bring down more German bombers, then?!" another child asked.

Dashie paused in her steps, glancing towards him with sad eyes.

Tom grimmaced.

"I uh... well-"

The crowd of citizens following her looked at her with hope-filled eyes.

"Um..."

"Dashie needs to clear her mind a bit before she can decide on that," Tom called.

"Oh..."

The crowd seemed disappointed, though still curious. A few moments later, the question barrage continued.

"Is it true you can control the weather?!"

"Yeah, sort of! I'll be keeping London sunny the next few days if I can. Bit on the rainy side, here."

The crowd gave a murmur of approval.

Yeeeep, that's how that day went. After that, our cottage was put under guard, denying the public access to Dashie, though she'd still answer the questions of curious scientists, journalists, you name it, when she could.

"Fascinating... so your people actually have limited weather control abilities?"

"Yeeep, and you're looking at the best of them, Sir Watson!" Dashie grinned.

"Please, call me Robert. So - Do you have any idea how this is done?"

Rainbow blinked.

"Well uh- I usually just fly up to clouds and push them. Sometimes I can give them an electrical charge to make thunderclouds..."

Watson raised an eyebrow. "Intriguing! Though I should have been more specific. Do you know how you are able to achieve the seemingly impossible feet of moving clouds about with just your hooves?"

"Well uh..."

Tom smirked slightly.

Dashie shrugged. "Magic, I guess?"

Robert blinked. "Magic?"

"Yeah..."

Sir Watson gave her an incredulous look. "Interesting theory..."

Unfortunately though, her presence didn't really seem to effect the war whatsoever.

A man stood in front of a crowd of thousands in front of a large, swastika-bound flag. A man with fire in his eyes. A man with a lust for war.

A man with a skill in deception.

[German] "Britain claims that the supernatural is on their side. I claim that they have nothing but trickery on their side! Are our enemies so truly desperate that they will conjure stories of being allied with mythical Greek creatures? It's laughable! Greece is ours, and there is nothing but barren rocks on the summit of Mount Olympus. And, if perhaps, the rumors are true, they are meaningless. One creature cannot hope the turn the tides of this war. We are the master race, and no remnants of old will ever spite our spirit!"

And now, it may turn out that keeping London clear may not have been a good idea... because as much as I hate to admit it: the war is continuing...

In we go to humanity's darkest hour.

August 30th - 1940. The Blitz, the Bombing of London, Begins.

"Tom... Tom! Wake up!"

"Huh-wah?"

Dashie nudged him with another hoof, having barged into his bedroom.

"Can't you hear that?!" she called desperately. "It's splitting my ears!"

"Ouch... aren't those ear plugs working-"

"Not what I meant! Listen..."

The room grew quiet, before the sound of sounded like distant thunderclaps filled Tom's ears.

"Yeah... now I can. I wonder what's- hey, wait up!"

Rainbow quickly dashed out of the room, and Tom followed her to the cottage's front porch.

Their eyes widened.

In the distance, a thousand fires burned in London, illuminating its many buildings usually shrouded by darkness. In the sky above, the dark silhouettes of German bombers could be seen.

"My god..." Tom said, blinking in bafflement.

"They're purposely bombing civilian targets now!" Rainbow growled. "Not even the griffins would pull something like that!"

"It's retaliation," Tom said calmly.

"For what?!" Rainbow snapped. "What the hell would piss them off enough?"

"It was yesterday... Churchill ordered the bombing of Berlin in retaliation for that church that was destroyed."

Dashie gulped, plopping down on her flank.

"So the cycle continues... just like what's going on in my world..."

Tom gave a shiver, before turning to her. "Hey... for all you know, the war could be over back there."

A few tears laced Dashie's eyes. "Either way... I miss it, Tom. I don't regret saving you, but I miss it so much..."

She gave a deep sigh, wiping away her tears.

"Or at least I miss what it used to be. Before the war. Before my friends started falling apart... why is it all the same? Why couldn't Earth just be a haven of relief like it used to? Back when we were kids... remember all those times we spent messing around in your fields? Just kicking back..."

"Home is where the heart is..." Tom sighed as well, moving to sit beside her. "And I miss home, too..."

With that, he wrapped his arm around his friend.

Dashie shivered. "Tom..."

"Friends only."

With that, she smiled slightly. "Always."

And the two watched as fire lit up the night.

The Second Night. The Blitz Continues.

"I have to do something," Dashie growled determinedly, gazing off into the distance. "They're just going to keep bombing London until it's rubble, aren't they?!"

"That cloud cover you put up is helping," Tom nodded.

"Not helping enough. Now they're just bombing randomly instead of going after landmarks. I hope the Prime Minister's alright..."

"I hope so, too..."

"He might have been wrong. I could just fly up there and Sonic Rainboom the whole formation!"

"Dashie... I've seen you do it before. It creates a gust of wind, but I'm not sure if it's that intense. All you'll be doing is lighting up yourself as a target..."

For the first time, Dashie narrowed her eyes at him. "You're not always right, Tom."

"This... I know."

The Third Night of the Blitz.

"That should do it!" Dashie smiled, panting heavily as she landed on the porch.

In the distance, thunder rumbled and lightning cascaded through the sky, courtesy of a large storm hovering about London.

"Lookin' good. Reminds me of the storms back home," Tom smiled.

"If that doesn't keep them away, I don't know what..."

She then gave a yawn, wobbling slightly. "Supercharging all those clouds though..."

"Rainbow, you alright?"

She gazed upon him with drowsy eyes. "Yeah... just... sleep-"

Suddenly, she collapsed to the floor of the porch, snoring loudly.

She would sleep for an entire day, though no bombs would fall that night.

And on the far hills, north of London, a figure gazed upon the carnage with glowing blue eyes.

September 15th, 1940 - Britain Begins to Fight Back.

"Give em' everything you bloody got!" Jacob roared over the radio, and twenty-three Spitfires slammed into a formation of various German aircraft during a daylight raid.

One by one, they would begin to fall from the skies.

"Hooooohahahaha!" Jacob cackled.

And the blue eyes watched them.

September 27th, 1940 - The Triparte Pact is Signed. The Axis Alliance Becomes Formal.

Tom and Rainbow sat in the kitchen, listening to the latest radio broadcast.

"... the pact ensues mutual aid between the three superpowers, Japan, Germany, and Italy. In other news, Free French and British forces have been repelled by the Vichy French..."

"We may be winning in the skies, but were losing elsewhere! Every day it's another allied city bombed, another ship sunk!" Dashie cried. "Tom, we have to do something!"

Tom simply gulped. "I was... thinking about trying to get out of the country... if Artie doesn't come in another month. He should be able to find us..."

"Are you serious?! How am I supposed to provide cloud cover for London, then?"

"I don't want to fight anymore..." Tom sighed. "I don't want to be around all this death, this bullshit..."

"But all the civilians-"

"Civilians are dying on both sides. Are German and Italian innocents worth any less than British ones?"

"But I can't see them dying! I can't hear their screams at night!"

"Which is why we need to leave."

October 31st - 1940.

"You know what tonight would be?" Rainbow asked Tom, the two sitting by a blazing fire in the cottage's living room.

"What's that?" Tom smiled.

"Nightmare Night, of course..."

"Heh, that one goofy Halloween ripoff?"

Dashie gave him a blank look. "Yeah, uh-huh. You know you liked it."

"Sure I did! Bit hard to celebrate Halloween when I didn't really have a neighbor."

"Yeah..." Dashie said, smiling nostalgically, before closing her eyes. "But Nightmare Night was just for fun. Now... the terror is real."

A warning siren blared from London.

And a distance away, glowing blue eyes gazed upon an approaching bomber formation.

And suddenly, those blue eyes were approached.

"I won't let you take them, you know..." Artie's voice echoed, as he approached a figure in a black cloak. "Not for what you have planned..."

The figure gave a chuckle.

"Not even if it would save two worlds?"

"It will get better... you and I both know it. It always gets better."

Another bomb fell. Another shell soared into the sky.

"No... old friend, it just stays the same."