• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 987 Views, 12 Comments

Going Rogue - PonyPixel



More students are welcome to the school of friendship, and some of them are becoming more violent.

  • ...
1
 12
 987

Welcome Back

Author's Note:

Warning: The following may contains spoilers for the series finale.
For those who don't want spoilers, I would leave now.

Sandbar was walking home with his family. They had some buckets and bails and his baby sister, Coral Currents, happily giggling as she rode on her mother's back. "That's one way to spend the last day of Summer," High Tide said.

"Wait, it's really over?" Sandbar asked.

"It is," Beachcomber said as he opened the door to their house. "Pretty soon, you'll be back in school." Expecting their son to be upset, Sandbar seemed rather excited.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" High Tide asked as she helped Coral into the house.

"I'm fine," the colt replied. "I'm actually excited to see my friends again."

"Oh, you mean those other creatures?" Beachcomber asked. "You've told us a lot about them. Especially Yona."

"Yeah. I can't wait to see them again."

"Well, you should get yourself ready for school tomorrow," High Tide said. Sandbar did as he was told after they placed their beach supplies away, he soon started himself a shower. A bit of sand managed to get into his mane and tail. This was probably because he helped his sister with her sandcastle.

Once he got out, his father was a bit surprised he was already done showering. "Don't you think that's a little early for a shower?" Beachcomber asked.

"I'm just getting prepared," Sandbar said.

"I know that, but you never know what's going to happen." The colt just shrugged. He wasn't the only one who was getting excited.

In Mount Aris, Silverstream was flipping through the air. He excitement was at its peak once again. Her father, Sky Beak was helping to prepare some papers for her. "I can't believe I'm going to see my friends again," Silverstream cheered.

"I understand you're excited," Sky Beak said, "But your mother said that you should have some spare paper."

"I can't help it. I haven't seen them in so long."

"We're all very happy for you," Queen Novo said as landed next to them.

"Aunt Novo, what are you doing here?"

"I've gotten a letter from your school and there's been a request."

In the dragon lands, Smolder was in a pool of lava burning off bits of dirt on her body. After she got up, she walked off to meet up with her brother. "So, are you ready to head back?" Garble asked.

"Even though I'd probably be bored to death by the lesson," Smolder replied, "It'll be nice to see my friends again."

"Speaking of friends," said a voice. The voice came from Dragon Lord Ember who landed next to the two siblings.

"Ember," Garble said. "What's up."

"What's up is I have a letter and some stubborn dragons. I need some convincing from Smolder."

"Me?" the said dragoness asked confused.

At the changeling hive, Ocellus was checking all of her supplies to make sure everything was ready. Her younger siblings were clinging to her legs. "Look, I know you want me to stay," Ocellus said, "But I also want to see my friends again."

"I'm glad to hear that," Thorax said as she flew to her.

"Oh, king Thorax. Is there something wrong?"

"Not really. It's just, Starlight wants to try something."

In Yakyakistan, Yona was helping her father clear a path from their hut through the snow. "Yona," Prince Rutherford said, grabbing the little yak's attention. "Yak wants to talk to you."

"Rutherford?" Yona asked. "Why yak need to talk to Yona?"

"Yak get letter from ponies. Ponies need help, because, yaks' best."

"Yona agree. What yak need to do?"

Last but not least, in Griffonstone, Gabby had returned to her home where Gallus was at. "Hi, Gallus," she cheered.

"Gabby," Gallus said, nonchalantly. "What's up?"

"Oh, one of your teachers told me to give you this." She handed her friend a letter, which he opened.

Dear Gallus,

You know that school is going to start again soon and I'm pretty sure that you'll be happy to see your friends again. Still, I'm guessing Twilight would like to have more diversity with the students. So, with you as well as the other creatures, the professors and I would like to enroll more of Griffonstone as well as the kingdoms.

I have a feeling that many of them won't be so keen, so I'm hoping you and your friends could help them. I had a feeling some may be scared or stubborn but I'm sure you can convince them to give it a try.

Sincerely, Starlight Glimmer.

"Huh," Gallus said, "Doesn't seem to difficult."

"I can only imagine seeing my friends having to do the same thing," Smolder scoffed to Ember.

"It'll be worth it to see my friends again," Ocellus said to Thorax.

"It's going to be great to have others come with me," Silverstream cheered to her aunt.

"Yona will show yaks school is good as yaks," Yona said.

"This year is going to be great," Sandbar said to himself.


When the morning sun rose the next morning, Sandbar got up and immediately headed towards the kitchen. As he started toasting his bread he got some milk from the fridge as his parents walked into the room. "Sandy, it's not even eight yet," High Tide grumbled as she rubbed her eyes.

"Wait, really?" the colt asked. He looked towards the clock from across the room. "Oh, sorry to wake you."

"It's okay," Beachcomber yawned. "We understand you're excited."

"I'll just... Take this back to my room." Sandbar got his milk and toast, put some butter on it, and walked back to his room. He just finished his breakfast as soon as possible, brushed his teeth, and got his suitcase, which contained some things his parents packed for school.

He had to wait a while for his parents to have their breakfast, but Beachcomber finished first. "I'll catch up with you," High Tide said.

"Alright," Beachcomber said, "We'll meet you at the school." The father and son left the house and walked through the town. Along the way, they decided to stop by the train station. "You think that they'll arrive this way."

"I've seen them use the train when they left for Summer Vacation," Sandbar stated. They then heard a whistle. "Here it comes."

The train slowly rolled in and stopped at the platform. When the doors opened, the two ponies were surprised to see several yaks and griffon pour out. The yaks nearly caused a mini earthquake while running past the father and son and the griffon just pushed past them.

Beachcomber managed to move out of the way, but Sandbar got stuck in the crowd. Luckily, a blue griffon grabbed him and lifted him out of the stampede. "Morning," Gallus said looking down at his friend. He placed the colt down next to the stallion.

"Thanks, Gallus," Sandbar said.

"You really don't have the best luck do you." He looked at Beachcomber. "Who's this guy?"

"This is my dad. Dad, this is my friend, Gallus."

"It's nice to meet you," Beachcomber said. He shook Gallus's talon but noticed they were missing something. "Sandbar, where's your bag?"

"I..." The colt saw what his dad meant. "I must have lost it in the crowd." Suddenly, the suitcase landed next to the ponies and griffons as a certain yak walked beside it. "Yona."

"Sandbar," the yak cheered. The colt and yak hugged each.

"Dad, this is my yak friend, Yona."

"Oh, Sandbar told me about you," Beachcomber said. "I can't believe it's taken this long to meet you."

"Hey, Sandbar, where's my hug?" Gallus joked. Sandbar chuckled as he gave the griffon a hug.

"Who are all of these yaks and griffons?" Sandbar asked.

"Ponies wanted creatures to come to school," Yona explained.

"Really?"

"Yeah, but some are being stubborn," Gallus groaned.

"Yaks not complaining," Yona said. "Yona said yaks show ponies how to be best."

"It's great to see you guys again," Sandbar said. "Where are the others?"

"Their homes are closer to different train routes," Gallus explained. "They should be here soon."

"Gallus!" cried a wheezing voice. The blue griffon sighed as Grampa Gruff walked up to him. "You can't expect me to take care of all these griffons."

"No. I don't."

"Who's that?" Beachcomber asked Sandbar.

"Grampa Gruff," Sandbar replied quietly. "Just try not to get on his bad side. It's kind of big."

"Yaks wait for ponies," Rutherford said. The yaks followed orders stood around him.

"Yona better wait with yaks," Yona said. She gave a quick hug to her colt friend before walking towards her group.

"Ah, Yona. Yaks need to know lesson just like Yona." As the two groups waited for the ponies of the school to arrive, another engine stopped by the platform. The doors opened to reveal several changelings, dragons, and hippogriffs.

"I don't see why we had to ride the train," Ember said as she stepped onto the platform.

"We have to make sure our students get to the school safely," Thorax informed.

"Fair point. Plus, those seats are way more comfy than anything in the Dragon Lands."

"Where are they?" Sandbar asked looking around through the different creatures.

"Surprise hug!" Silverstream cried. She took the colt by surprise by diving bombing him to give a tight hug.

"Silver. I'm happy to see you again. Can you let me breathe, please?" The hippogriff chuckled and let her friend go.

"I see she got you too," Ocellus said as she walked up with Smolder beside her.

"Nice to know someone took one for the team," Smolder joked.

"Ha, ha," Sandbar said sarcastically. He turned to his father to introduce his friends to him and vice versa.

"You certainly seem like... Interesting creatures," Beachcomber said.

"It's nice to actually meet you, sir," Ocellus said.

"Silverstream," Sky Beak said as he walked up to the group with Thorax and Ember. "I see you found your friends."

"Hello, there," Beachcomber said from behind his son. He felt kind of nervous being with creatures that were much bigger than him.

"That's my dad," Sandbar said.

"Got it," Ember said. "Smolder, stick with the group. I'm having trouble just keeping an eye on the other freshmen. The letter said you had to help."

"Right," the dragoness replied. She followed the Dragon Lord. Silverstream and Ocellus went to group up with their species to wait for the ponies to arrive.

"Ah, you're all here," said a voice. Two ponies walked towards the train station, Applejack and Sunburst.

"How are y'all doing?" Applejack asked. There was a mixture of worried and uninterest murmuring.

"We're here to make sure you all get to the school of friendship," Sunburst said. "Enrolling at this school is actually quite an honor."

"If you want to get a nice nap," Gallus whispered to Smolder, who chuckled in response.

"If you follow us, we'll get you to school on time." The unicorn and earth pony led the way as the different creatures followed behind.

"Why were we chosen?" a white griffon asked.

"Because of school orders," Grampa Gruff coughed.

"You too, hung?" asked a green drake.

When they got to School of Friendship, they could see the rest of the professors chatting with several different ponies. "AJ, Sunburst, you're back," Rainbow Dash said as she flew up to them. "Are those the newcomers?"

"Sure are," Applejack replied.

"Students," Sunburst said, "This is professor Rainbow Dash. She'll be teaching you in loyalty and athleticism." As Sunburst explained what the professors would be teaching, Sandbar and his friends decided to talk between each other.

"So, how was your vacation?" Silverstream whispered to Gallus.

"Surprisingly better than expected," Gallus replied. "Gabby let me stay at her house, which is pretty cozy."

"That was nice of here."

"Silverstream, pay attention," Sky Beak ordered. The hippogriff did so. The other griffons and dragons on the other hand, not so much. The changelings and hippogriffs were taking in every word, the yaks were only understanding about eighty percent.

"Now, we'd like you to fill out a couple of papers," Sunburst was interrupted by a large number of groans. "It's to make sure of a couple of things. Allergies, information about your parents, and it'll help you get a satisfying roommate." Rarity carried some papers which she and Sunburst levitated to the new students, along with some pencils. The creatures started writing things down as the kingdom leaders talked with each other.

"I'm not sure if the changelings are up to this," Thorax said. Many of the changelings were pretty nervous.

"At least they wanted to come," Ember said. She grabbed the arm of a dragoness trying to sneak away. "Nice try." The dragoness growled as she resumed writing.

"They're not the only ones who are feeling nervous," Sky Beak said. He pointed to some of the hippogriffs who didn't look all that pleased.

"Yaks not worried," Rutherford said. "Yaks best." Ember just rolled her eyes.

"You're only best at being on my nerves," Grampa Gruff wheezed.

As the leader chatted, the first international students were listening to them. "Think they're going to argue again?" Smolder asked.

"Not likely," Ocellus answered. "Especially not here."

"Sandbar," cried a mare. They look and saw High Tide running up to the colt while carrying Coral Currents. "Sorry I took so long."

"It's okay," Sandbar replied. "You didn't miss much."

"Who this pony?" Yona asked.

"My mom." High Tide hugged her son.

"I see you met your friends again."

"Nice to meet you," Silverstream said as she shook High Tide's hoof. She raised her paw to Coral, who giggled as she reached for it.

"I still can't believe you're going into your third year at this school."

"Yeah, it is kind of amazing," Sandbar admitted. "It's going to be interesting having all of these different creatures. Should I have a warning about any of these guys?"

"Just try not to get on any of their bad sides," Gallus said.

"Especially the dragons," Smolder added.

"Got it," Sandbar replied.

After a bit of chatting, the new students had finished with their papers. "Are we done?" a changeling asked.

"Oh, you're just getting started," Pinkie said as she bounced by. More of the students groaned. The pink pony whispered to Sunburst. "Are you sure about this?"

"It's what Twilight wanted," Sunburst replied.

After a few more minutes, students started moving into each other's rooms. Gallus and Sandbar were still roommates, same for Ocellus and Yona, and Smolder and SIlverstream. They were making themselves comfortable until they heard some creature screaming.

"There's no way you're getting the top bunk," a male voice cried.

"Crud," Gallus groaned. He and Sandbar went to check out the noise. It was coming from an arguing white griffon and dark brown yak.

"What's going on?" Sandbar asked.

"We're trying to figure out who's going to have the top bunk," a griffon said.

"Yak needs top bunch in case of emergency," a yak said.

"What kind of emergency?"

"Okay, let's just make this simple and flip a coin," Gallus said. He got a bit from Sandbar, which he flipped. "Heads or tails?"

"Heads," the yak said.

"Tails," the griffon cried. Once Gallus revealed the bit, to show tails.

"Condragulations," Gallus said, "You get the top bunk." While the griffon cheered, the yak wasn't pleased.

"Best out of three," the yak said. Gallus flipped the bit again, and the same thing happened.

"Before you asked if it's double-sided, it's not." He showed the bit had both heads and tales. "Fair's, fair."

"Thanks," the griffon said as he lied down on the top bunk. The yak just grumbled as he sat on the bottom bunk. Gallus and Sandbar left the room.

"Get used to this kind of attitude."

"I don't think I will," Sandbar replied. "Hope the girls are having better luck than us."

"You can't just breathe fire whenever you want," Smolder said to another dragon student.

"What else am I suppose to do while I'm bored here," a red dragoness complained.

"You could get to know your roommate," Silverstream suggested.

The red dragoness looked towards her roommate, who was a pegasus mare. "What do we have in common?"

"You both have wings."

"So do you two."

"I think we should let you figure this out for yourself," Smolder said. "Come on, Silver, we're wasting our time." The two friends left the freshmen to their problem, seeing that they didn't want help.

"You sure we shouldn't help them out," the hippogriff asked.

"If she didn't want help, let her learn the hard way." The two ran into Ocellus and Yona, who didn't seem so happy. "What happened to you two?"

"One of the changelings was getting aggravated at me," Ocellus explained.

"A changeling?"

"Dragons aren't only ones aggressive," Yona stated.

"Fair point."

"I really thought all the hippogriffs would enjoy this," Silverstream said. "Some of them seemed excited to come here, but now... They're pretty worried."

"Well, don't you start," said Sky Beak. They look and saw the hippogriff walk towards them along with Dragon Lord Ember. "How are you feeling?"

"Like we bit off more than we can chew," Ocellus said.

"Look, if this makes you feel better," Ember said, "We're the ones that are going to respond if anything goes wrong with them."

"Oh, that makes me feel better," Smolder sighed with relief. "I'm already losing my patience with one of the dragons."

"What about King Thorax?" Ocellus asked.

"Or Prince Rutherford," Yona added.

"The same story," Ember replied. "Look, we need to get back to our kingdoms because we just need to have the students' parents sign these papers." She showed the papers she was carrying, and so did Sky Beak.

"All those papers?" Silverstream asked.

"It's going to be tiring," Sky Beak said, "But once we do that, it'll all be over." The father and daughter shared one more hug before Sky Beak walked off with Ember. "So, how big do dragons get?"

"The size of Twilight's castle," Ember answered.

"No way."

"Hey, guys," Sandbar said as he and Gallus walked up to their friends.

"How friends doing?" Yona asked.

"Just helped fix up an argument," Gallus replied. "By the way, Headmare Starlight gave us our class schedules." He showed his friends an envelope before opening it. Inside was a schedule, each one having a different name. However, that wasn't the only thing that was different.

"Guys, none of our schedules are the same," Ocellus said. All of the classes were different. For their first ones, Smolder was in Rainbow Dash's class first, while Sandbar was in Fluttershy's.

"Why are they like this?" Silverstream asked.

"They said these were temporary," Sandbar explained. "Once the new students have been here for a week, we'll be in the same classes again."

"Friends still see each, right?" Yona asked a bit worried.

"Of course. It's just for a week. Besides, we can talk to Headmare Starlight at any time."

"If you say so," Smolder said. Just then, they heard the bell ring.

"First classes are going to start soon," Ocellus said. "I'll... See you after school." The friends all walked off to their classes and to get their respective species.


Yona led the yaks into Pinkie's class, where they only found a party cannon sitting in the middle of the room. Confused, the yaks sat down. One of them stood back up once they noticed they sat on a button, which caused the cannon to fire out confetti and a teacher.

Pinkie landed in front of the chalkboard, sticking the landing. "Hello newcomers," Pinkie said. "I'm Pinkamena Diane Pie, I'll be your teacher this morning."

"Pink Pony," the yaks cheered.

"That's me. Now, we'll just start with some algebra." Pinkie started writing things down on the chalkboard as the yaks opened their workbooks.

Yona heard one of the yaks grumbling. "What wrong?" she whispered.

"Yak still mad a griffon for taking top bunk," the yak grumbled.

"Trud need to calm down." The yak just grumbled in response.

"Now," Pinkie said, "I know these triangles look pretty confusing and multiplying the numbers by themselves is... Confused even me at first. But you'll soon understand." Many of the yaks started taking notes, but the one name Trud just kept grumbling.

"Trud, take notes," Yona said. "Ocellus said notes help a lot."

"Changeling think she knows everything," Trud scoffed.

"I know a yak who doesn't want to be sent to Headmare Starlight's office," Pinkie said in a sing-songy voice. She gave a look at the yak which made him think twice about complaining. Though, not entirely. Yona started feeling a little lonely. Sure, her fellow yaks were with her, but she wanted to be with her other friends.

Silverstream was feeling the same way as she listened to Rarity's lesson. While she did, she made a doodle of the creatures she wanted with her. "Gemstones do take a long time to form," Rarity said, "And some are more rare than other."

"What about pearls?" a hippogriff asked.

"Ah, yes, another kind of gem. It's a special gemstone that forms at the bottom of the sea. Can you explain how they're formed?"

Another hippogriff raised their claw. "Um, under a bunch of sand?" she said nervously.

"Close, but their actually formed inside clams."

"I've never seen that happen before."

"Well, it's quite rare." The mare looked towards Silverstream, who was still doodling. "Silverstream."

"Huh?" Silverstream questioned.

"What did I just say?"

"Um... Uh... Clams are... Magical?"

"I'd appreciate it if you paid attention." Silverstream blushed with embarrassment.

Gallus was laying back in Applejack's class. Many of the other griffons couldn't care less about what their teacher was saying. "Now remember," Applejack said, "If you don't give your crops the right amount of water or sunlight, it won't grow properly."

"Um, Ms. Applejack?" asked a griffon, "Why would we need this?"

"Because plants are some of the most important parts of life. Tell me, where do you think you get your bread?"

"From wheat. Where else?"

"And tell me, what is wheat?"

Gallus raised his talon. "Seeds in the ground?" he asked.

"Exactly. How about the fruits and vegetables you eat, where do they come from?"

"From the store," a griffon scoffed.

"No! From plants. How the air we breathe?" The griffons didn't reply, mostly because they didn't know what to say, but Gallus was enjoying this. "The trees. A.K.A. plants. Now, the trees will be our next lesson."

As the farm pony wrote on the chalkboard, Gallus looked towards the griffon who ask Applejack the question. "Think they're not important now?" Gallus asked.

"Don't mock me," the griffon said glumly.

After a while, the bell rang to let everyone know that the first classes were over. Ocellus walked out of Fluttershy's class with the other changelings. "That teacher is really nice," one of the changelings said to Ocellus.

"She is," Ocellus agreed. "She's one of the favorites."

"Ocellus," Smolder cried as she ran up to her. As she did this, the other changelings felt nervous.

"No, guys, it's okay. Smolder's friendly."

"It's true. By the way, have you seen Gallus?"

"You called?" asked the said griffon. The dragon and changelings jumped.

"Don't do that again," Ocellus begged.

"No promises. Anyways, Smolder could you make this quick? I'm trying to get Gale here..."

"That's me," a white griffon interrupted.

"To apologize to his roommate... Crud, I didn't get the yak's name."

"Can you describe what he looked like?" Ocellus asked.

"Trud, get back here," Pinkie begged from down the hall. From around the corner, a dark brown yak, who Pinkie Pie was desperately trying to stop as she was dragged across the floor.

"Found him," Gale said.

"Okay, let's fix this," Gallus said. He took a deep breath before walked up to the angry yak with his fellow griffon. "Hello, there... I'm sorry, I didn't remember your name."

"Trud," the yak answered.

"Right, Trud, Gale here wanted to say something."

"Why am I doing this?" Gale whispered.

"Because it's the right thing."

"Fine." Gale looked at Trud in the eye, or the best he could considering the yak's eyes were covered by his bangs. "I'm sorry for arguing with you over just a bed. Gallus convinced me it was stupid and we should move on."

The yak snorted as he stomped on the griffon's talon, making him cry out in pain. "Trud," Pinkie cried as she managed to push the yak away from the injured griffon. "You're going to the headmare's office." Suddenly, the pink pony was lifted up with the yak's horn and was tossed into the wall behind them.

"What the heck's your problem?" Gale asked.

"Yak don't want apology," Trud growled. "Yak, want to SMASH!" Without warning, Trud charged towards Gale, who flew upwards. This caused the yak to ram into an unlucky Gallus.

"Gah, my spleen," Gallus groaned as he tumbled back towards his friends.

"Are you okay?" Ocellus asked. He didn't have time to answer as Trud charged at them again. The changeling screamed and fled just before the yak missed them and collided with the wall. His horns got stuck, providing the dragon, griffon, and changeling with enough time to help up their unconious teacher and escape.

"What's that guy's problem?" Smolder questioned as she ran.

"I don't know," Gallus replied. "I knew they were mad, but nobody just has an outburst like that."

Ocellus then heard something was chasing them. Looking back, she saw Trud, with a bit of the wall, stuck on his horns, chaing them down. Thinking quickly, she turned into a bugbear and caught the rampaging yak. "Okay, just calm down," Ocellus begged.

"Yak will never calm down!" Trud cried. He headbutted Ocellus, causing her to change back. Once she was on the ground, Trud stomped on her chest.

"OW! Gallus! Smolder!"

"Ocellus!" the dragon and griffon yelled. They put Pinkie down before running back to save their friend.

"Get off her," Smolder cried before punching the yak in the face. She was caught off guard as Trud fought back by kicking her into Gallus, who was trying to help Ocellus up. With the three knocked to the ground, Trud was about to stomp on them before, he stopped.

He had an aura around him which was coming from Starlight Glimmer. "Headmare Starlight," Ocellus groaned as she and her friend slowly stood up.

"What happened here?" the headmare asked.

"That yak is crazing," Gale cried.

"That's only half true," Gallus stated.

"Oh my... What happened to Pinkie?" Starlight asked.

"Put yak down!" Trud ordered.

"Until we figure out what's going on, you're not going anywhere."