• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 812 Views, 4 Comments

Bittersweet Old Bird - FlareGun45



Gallus' relationship with Grandpa Gruff has always been complicated, but Trixie helps Gallus see a different point of view of the situation.

  • ...
1
 4
 812

It Takes One to Know One

"THE GREAT AND POWERFUL COUNSELOR IS OCCUPIED!" Trixie yelled at whoever was knocking on the door.

"Ok!" A familiar voice said from the other side. "I'll just come back later for Gallus' update!"

"It's ok, Trixie. This is important." I said.

"Well there goes our bonding." Trixie complained. "For the record, if one of those mails is a tax refund, how about we go celebrate later, huh? Wink!" Trixie winked at me. Starlight and I both just looked at her awkwardly. Trixie then sighed and said, "Come in!"

The door opened, and in came Gabby and Spike. "Update time, Gallus!" Gabby said excitedly. "Grandpa Gruff wants to know how everything's going?"

"Great, as usual." I said with an annoyed tone. "He was JUST here yesterday. Why is he asking again? Can't he just leave me alone?"

"Sorry, Gallus, just doing my job." Gabby said.

"What's going on here?" Spike asked.

"Gallus is having a bit of-" Starlight was about to say, but got cut off by Trixie.

"Ah ah ah. This is a PRIVATE session. No outside ears allowed." Trixie said.

"It's alright, Trixie." I said. I then turned to Spike and explained, "I'm having a bit of issues with Grandpa Gruff, my guardian. He's a huge-"

"He's very annoying." Gabby interrupted.

"I know, I met him before." Spike said. "Whenever the leaders of the other races come, I look after them, and I know how Grandpa Gruff loves to stir trouble. You should see how Ember and Prince Rutherford react to the situation."

"I can only imagine." Starlight said.

"Well, regardless, he's my guardian and there's nothing I can do about it." I said. "I just wish I knew who my parents were so I can just punch them in their faces for abandoning me."

"Yeah... I know how that feels." Spike said upsettingly.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I never knew my parents either." Spike said. "They probably abandoned me too for all I know. But then Twilight and her family raised me as their own, and I couldn't be more grateful for the family I got. Twilight took me in when no creature else would, and I couldn't ask for anything more."

"Awwww." Gabby said sweetly. "That is the sweetest story I've ever heard!"

Spike blushed and said, "Well.... I could think of sweeter. Want me to tell them about the day we first met?"

"Ehhhhh I think we're good." Starlight stopped them thankfully, but while they were talking, I just realized something. Something that I should've realized a long time ago.

"You're.... you're right, Spike." I said.

"I am?" Spike asked.

"Yeah." I said. "I never thought of it before until you mentioned it. But.... if it wasn't for Grandpa Gruff, I wouldn't be here."

"Oh pffft! I hope you're not thinking of giving him undeserved credit!" Trixie complained.

"Look," I started, "Griffin culture is the worst. I never knew my family - they just... threw me away like I was some useless trash. If any other griffin saw a hatchling all alone, without parents, they'd just walk pass that baby. But Grandpa Gruff..... he took me in and raised me as his own, even though he didn't need to. Yeah, he's a jerk, yeah he was aggressive and neglectful, but.... he was there for me when no other griffin was. He gave me advice, he gave me a home and food, and most importantly, he approved of me coming here to the School of Friendship, where I met my friends."

"I guess that explains why he keeps asking me to give him updates about you." Gabby said.

"Yeah, why would he keep doing that if he didn't care?" Starlight asked. "That would make absolutely no sense."

"Now that I think about it, I had a similar situation." Gabby said. "Grandpa Gruff knew I was different. Too nice, too polite, too soft, he asked me to toughen up and to stop making friends, but I couldn't do that. I wanted to make the world a better place, I'm not an aggressive griffin." Spike patted her shoulder. "So he kept asking me to do mail deliveries outside of Griffinstone.

"Gabriella!" Gruff yelled. "For the last time, you're NOT going to make friends here! And you're NEVER going to get your cutie mark, BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT A PONY!"

"I can get my cutie mark, Grandpa Gruff! I just need to go to Equestria and find the source of where these cutie marks come from!" Gabby explained. "Gilda gave me this note to give to her friend, Rainbow Dash, if I could go, maybe i'll find the source!"

"Ugh!" Gruff groaned. "You know what? Maybe that's best. You can go as far away from here as possible, because lemme tell you something, girl, you don't belong here. You belong with those stinkin' ponies. Maybe that'll give you a better life."

"And so," Gabby continued narrating, "I ventured off to find the source of the cutie marks, I met the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and even though I tried to bring cutie mark values to Griffinstone, it didn't really work out that well. So Grandpa Gruff suggested that I just keep delivering mail to Ponyville; and now that Gallus is here, he makes me go here all the time."

"Sounds like he's making you come here just to get rid of you." Trixie said.

"Exactly!" Gabby said. "He wants a better life for me, which is why he gave me this mail job."

I was stumped. All this time I thought Grandpa Gruff was the bad guy, but it turns out that he is the best griffin ever, and I've been taking him for granted. I knew what I had to do.

"Uhh, Headmare Starlight?" I asked. "Is it okay if I return to Griffiinstone with Gabby for a little bit? There's something very important that I have to do."

"Of course, Gallus." Starlight approved.

"Gallus, if things go wrong with Grandpa Gruff, just let me know, I'll give him a few more words. Wink!" Trixie said as she winked at me again.

"Thank you, Counselor Trixie." I smiled at her. Trixie smiled at me back.

Author's Note:

Yeah I ship Spabby, WHAT'S IT TO YA?! :P