• Published 12th Sep 2019
  • 6,067 Views, 354 Comments

Rarity's Colt - Mocha Star



Rarity, among others across the land, signed up to be foster parents for foals after numerous disasters struck the nation. Few expected to be called upon, among the least was Rarity.

  • ...
69
 354
 6,067

Counselling

“Rarity, why’d you do that to Snickers?!”

“Yeah, he’s your son! You’re supposed to love him and care about him.”

“Instead, yer tuggin’ his ears like a thief grabbin’ unripe zap apples!”

“Fillies, please. I’ve had a difficult enough day than to have to hear you three prattle on about-”

“No,” Sweetie shouted getting the train of ponies to stop, “what’s gotten into you? You’re weird all day, you smell like chocolate when I get home and don’t have any to make me a drink. You tell me I’ve got a nephew out of the blue--”

“Yeah, and she told us you weren’t very nice to him when you introduced him to her,” Scootaloo pushed her way between Sweetie and Rarity, followed by Apple Bloom.

“And ya were talkin’ about some Mister Ed more than ya were carin’ about bein’ all polite so he had ta innerduce himself. That ain’t like ya, Miss Rarity.”

Rarity pressed a polished and smoothed hoof to a spot between her eyes she learned to be a personal pressure point. “Girls, it’s been a very confusing and difficult day. I’m behind on my work, I’ve fostered a foal just this morning…” She looked down at the girls, who were looking between one another somberly.

“Sis, you mean he’s an orphan or something?”

“Or something is more apt,” Rarity mumbled. The gasp the girls made took a second to register with Rarity, who then mentally winced. “No, I don’t mean he’s any of the above. Girls, come with me to the showroom and I’ll tell you all, okay?”

The trio nodded and followed closely to one another while Rarity led them to a small nook she rarely used for relaxing with a good book or to clear her mind. The trio sat on a cushion together that fit one adult mare, Rarity lay on a stout couch across from them. The window was so clear it didn’t seem like it was there, save for the shimmer of enchantments running across its surface that performed a function the fillies didn’t know about, yet.

“Girls, about Snickers. He’s what adults would call a difficult child.”

Sweetie snorted. “So, I live with you and you’re difficult.”

“Yeah, and we don’t tug your ears or bite your nose when we’re upset.”

“So, why’d’ya think it’s alright ta do to him?”

“Huh?” They chorused in a challenge.

Rarity hummed and thought of a good way to handle the situation at their level. “Girls, there are bad parents out in the world.” She waited and their attention became curious. “There are good parents who care for their foals, they feed them, love them, and help them grow. Then there are bad parents who don’t do any of those things, or do them in a bad way. Such as in exchange for things inappropriate for children to do.”

“So,” Apple Bloom looked between her friends, “like makin’ their foals shingle the roof?”

“Or fix their wagon?”

Sweetie hopped, hoping her answer would win. “Making their little sister stand still for hours while her older sister uses her as a dress stand?”

Rarity looked at her sister intently until the filly calmed and sat close to her friends again while Rarity started again.

*…*

Fluttershy held Snickers in her forelegs, her wings fanning slowly to create a current around him that soothed him by brushing the hairs of his coat across his body.

He pulled back and sniffled, looking up at Fluttershy he made sounds like he was going to either hyperventilate or cry again. She lay on her belly and used one of her primary feathers to brush along his muzzle and wipe tears away.

"Why are you so sad? Is there anything I can do to help?"

He sniffled and leaned his cheek into her feathers. He opened his mouth and inhaled a deep shaky breath. Tears spilled from his eyes when he blinked, opening his eyes clearer than before.

He stood and took a hesitant step back from her getting a curious reaction from her. Then, shaking across his front, he lowered his barrel to the floor and touched his nose to the carpet.

Fluttershy sat up and covered her mouth. "Oh, my. Please. I don't know why… Snickers, please, don't bow to me." She pressed her hoof to the carpet and cupped his chin in the frog of her hoof.

"Please, open your eyes." There was a hesitation before he opened them and she gasped at the depth of pain and sorrow she could feel. "You've been through so much, haven't you?"

He nodded, staying in contact with her hoof. When she pulled away he moved with her until she was outside his reach. "No."

She brought her hoof back to him and he rested his cheek against it. "The first word you've said to me… I thought it'd be something more profound, given your recent history."

"What should I say?" He asked quietly with his eyes closed.

“Whatever you’re feeling or maybe if something is bothering you, I’m here for you.”

He opened his eyes feeling calmer than he might have ever felt. “Okay… I... don’t know what to say.”

“Well, my name is Fluttershy and I’m a pegasus. But, I often feel I should be an earth pony because I love all the little creatures. And sometimes I would like to be a unicorn because the magic would make it really easy to help me take care of my little friends’ needs and I’d have more time.

“I was born and spent my first four years in Cloudsdale, then I fell into my current life, and… well, nothing much has happened between then and now that I’d like to talk about without knowing you a little better. Your turn?”

He smiled and sniffled, wiping his nose with his leg. “Well, I’m Snickers. I’m old enough to know better, but I just don’t care. I’ve been in Equestria for a long time, but… not really at the same time. It’s hard to explain, but it’s so beautiful here I can’t imagine living anywhere else, not for the rest of my life, if I’m lucky.

“I was stuck at an asylum for a few days before here, and nothing really happened there, so yeah. That’s me,” he finished with a shrug.

Fluttershy knew a bit more about him, but also knew to take the report with a grain of salt, and she intended to learn the truth about him no matter how long it took. “Um… there’s a lot of talk about you… um… personal private time that nopony should be with you during, and… I was… um…”

“Do you mean my sexual nature?” She eeped and cringed back, then hesitantly nodded. “Sheesh, we don’t have to talk about it. You’re obviously uncomfortable.”

“I-it’s just that you’re so open.”

“That’s what she said… wait…” Snickers thought about the lackluster jest, then looked at Fluttershy and cowered back from her glare. “I’m sorry, Miss Fluttershy.”

“I’m not alright with young colts or fillies talking like poorly mannered adults. It really upsets me and that’s not what ponies should make each other feel. Also,” she relaxed with an exhale, “I’m only Fluttershy, I don’t need any titles.”

“Y-yes, Miss Fluttershy. I’m sorry, Fluttershy!”

“Oh, please, don’t be worried. I won’t be upset with you as long as you’re a nice colt and you treat others with respect. Can you do that for me?” she asked, this time she had realized what had caused such a dramatic reaction and took advantage. She opened her wings and sat until she was blocking the light. He nodded, eyes wide in awe at her visage.

“Very good. Now then, Snickers, would you like to talk about your day?”

He gulped wetly and watched her as she lay down at his level. “Uh, yeah… if that’s okay with you… Fluttershy.”

She smiled when he spoke her name. It wasn’t very becoming of a stallion to fawn over her, but a colt was certainly adorable. “Whenever you’re ready, you may begin.”

*...*

Rarity sat in her spot holding Sweetie against her underbelly, forelegs crossed over the filly’s own crossed forelegs. “So, do you understand now?”

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom sat in contemplation. “So, what yer sayin’... is that Snickers has a mysterious past that we’re supposed to teach him to be comfortable with…”

“...So that he can tell us about it and not feel embarrassed or ashamed because there’s nothing in anypony’s past they should feel bad about at our age.” Scootaloo finished. Rarity nodded and the duo pumped their hooves in success.

“Rarity?” Sweetie asked. “What if we ask him about his past? Can we just do that and save time?”

Rarity rested her chin atop Sweetie’s mane and gently rocked from side to side. “No, darling. The reason he’s meeting with Fluttershy right now is to show him he can feel safe around adults. If you ask he may distrust you, or everypony around him. It’s happened before, but foals run away from things they distrust.”

Scootaloo covered her mouth. “I don’t want him to leave, he just got here. What about getting him his cutie mark?”

“Ah know, let’s get him as soon as he’s done and take him crusadin’ with us before he changed his mind!”

Sweetie pulled and Rarity let her go so the filly could join her friends. “Yeah, we can show him around town and show him the clubhouse before we induct him as our first male member.”

Rarity’s thought slid slightly off topic at the phrasing, but she was brought back when the girls cheered their club name and high hoofed each other. “Well, you have things well planned out. I certainly hope you all have a good time. I’ll prepare some snacks for you before you leave and have your fun.

A chorus of cheering fillies ran around her as she walked with a couple near trips as the fillies darted under her while playing some game or another that she couldn’t be bothered to learn; as long as it didn’t interfere with her progress.

“Girls, please! Talk quieter and stop playing, you may interrupt their bonding time. It’s very important Fluttershy has time to help him relax. It’ll be up to you three to teach him how to adjust and interact while I will offer guidance and direction as a parent should.”

The CMC looked between one another and Sweetie Belle was stopped from speaking by a yellow hoof on her leg and a shaking head. Sweetie exhaled her breath without speaking and took a seat at the table between her friends. “So, how long do you think it’ll be?”