• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 4,199 Views, 143 Comments

Passio Patefecit Est - Senorita-De-La-Nieve



Vinyl Scratch, the heart-breaker, has finally fallen in love.

  • ...
6
 143
 4,199

Chapter 6

You would laugh at the bitter irony of Noteworthy's fall from grace. How he got as good as he gave. All his time and hard work sapped by a two-timer. The same two-timer he had been chasing for the better part of a decade. The same two-timer he had given up the best pony in the world for, the most talented in all of Canterlot. How could he have been so foolish?

He coughed, he sneezed, the illness was there, and stronger than ever. Two months it had been, two very long months since he had seen a warm bed or tasted real food, drank real water or even been in any place that had even the slightest semblance of warmth.

Looking back now, he promised he would do things differently, he promised he would love the one he was meant to love, be with the one he was supposed to be with, the one who had unintentionally captured his heart even though all he wanted was the uneducated swine who trampled all over it and smashed it to pieces.

So caught up in his thoughts was he that he didn't notice when a drop of ice fell from the scaffolding overhead and down onto his neck. It takes a minute to like somepony, an hour to get a crush on them, a day to fall in love with them, yet a lifetime to forget.

He felt ashamed at himself for this wave of self pity. He felt anger at the one who denied him his chance at love. He felt sorrow for the fact that he broke her heart, and he felt resignation to his fate. He could feel the proverbial arms of death wrap around him through the cold, the icy feeling spreading to his core and numbing his body.

Of course, arguably he himself could be deemed a two-timer, and of course, he had used somepony to get back at the very one who had cheated. He despised cheaters, so he despised himself. He despised her, and they all despised him.

Of course he knew whose fault it was. As he sat in the alleyway, cold, alone and forgotten by the Canterlot community, his gaze fell on the puddle of melted snow and his own tears on the floor. His face turned into a scowl as a scowling blue earth pony frowned back at him with exactly the same hatred and maliciousness as was to be expected in the eyes of an outsider.

"I. Hate. You," he stated simply to his own reflection as he kicked out angrily with a hoof, sending a spray of water away from him and into the sides of one of the buildings. Through the rage and fires of ire, he whispered out her name, the name of the loved, the lost and the one he had given up on; "Octavia..."

Deserted, hungry, abandoned, his life was far from great. But, he took solace in the one fact that it could go nowhere but up from now on. He laughed. As if he could ever catch a break. Of course, he deserved every single second of treatment Fate chose to throw his way. After all, one didn't do everything he had done and get away from it unscathed.

After all this time and effort he had put into breaking into a predominantly unicorn controlled business, and that, that, HARLOT, stole everything and set him up to take the fall. He was a celebrity, so he had taken the blow lightly, but in the ensuing divorce, she had stolen whatever he hadn't paid in compensation and left him homeless.

Enough of this! he decided vehemently as he stood from the soggy cardboard. He had one last chance, one last shot at redemption before he gave up entirely. He would go and see Octavia, to beg for forgiveness. He was dying, he knew it, but there was still time to set things right, beg and beg and beg for her to see that he was sorry for all he did

Staggering out of the alleyway and into the streets of Canterlot, he was met with as much disgust and disdain as a cockroach must have gotten in a restaurant. In fact, he wagered that all of these ponies wanted to squish him like the metaphorical insect he was.

He saw his target, the train going to Ponyville. He wasn't sure, but he wagered that that's where Octavia had gone, because that's where her brother went, they had met once in the streets. He still had the scars...

He clambered onboard the caboose with the luggage, he had not the bits for a trip to Ponyville, and so he would have to pray he wouldn't get caught. But it was warm, oh so warm, and that's all that he cared about. He closed his eyes and reveled in the sensation, it had been so long since he had felt warm.

The train whistle blew and the train trundled out of the station. There were no windows, but he knew, for better or worse, he was leaving Canterlot for good...


Octavia lounged on the couch and sighed as the light piano music washed over her senses, whisking her away to a relaxing beach with the sun shining down upon her, the gentle waves lapping at the proverbial shore with all the finesse nature could muster.

The piano music itself she could liken to a brush in the hands of an artist, the blank canvas was her mind, and right now it was painting a beautiful picture with all her senses, she could hear the music mix with the waves, she could almost smell the seaside and see the waves. She came back to the real world, albeit a bit reluctantly, and her senses returned to the small living room and the music being played drifted to near silence before being drowned out by the sounds of the wind outside.

Octavia looked over at the piano and smiled as Vinyl got off of the piano stool and smiled as she sat down next to her on the couch.

"Your turn," she said and Octavia stuck out her bottom lip in an adorable pout.

"Oh do I have to, yours was beautiful, I don't think I can match it," she said and Vinyl smiled, wrapping her arms around Octavia's neck and kissing her on the cheek lovingly.

"You can't match me, you surpass me," she said with true sincerity and Octavia smiled.

"Sweet talker," she quipped and Vinyl smiled her daredevil, lopsided grin at the grey mare, eyes half lidded eliciting a blush like it always did.

"You know you love it," she retorted in the breathy voice Octavia loved to hear, and kissed her playfully on the nose. Octavia sighed and opened her eyes fully, glancing to where her cello stood next to the piano.

"Well, I can't play if you're on top of me can I?" she asked with a wiggle of her eyebrows, every double entendre intended, and Vinyl blushed and clambered off of Octavia as she got up and trotted over to where her cello stood swathed in a veil of orange sunlight. Octavia stood on her hind legs and drew her bow out from behind the instrument and smiled at Vinyl as she grasped the strings just below the peg box and drew the bow slowly, almost torturously slow, across the strings.

This had become a routine trend on the weekends, after a hard week’s work performing for various plays and musicals, and Vinyl's 'gigs' at the local club, they could unwind on the Saturdays and, Vinyl giggled, serenade each other with their respective instruments.

Each would claim that the other’s was better, but any outsider would've heard two sets of extremely beautiful music. Doubly so now as the piano piece had been specifically designed by the alabaster unicorn to mimic the throes of a summers day, and Octavia's symbolizing the epitome of beauty on a winters eve.

The strings played the beautiful melody as if their one purpose was to play that song at that specific time, Octavia's mane fell out of place into a beautiful disheveled form as she lost herself to the music. Her pink bow-tie that was reserved for performances became erratic and untied, adding to the lost beauty of the moment. All of these little details were not lost on Vinyl, however, and seeing her lover like this was such a rare commodity that she promised herself to savour the way her body undulated gracefully in the sunlight as the music whisked her away to wherever her music took her, the way the sunlight streaming through the curtains captured her mane and flung it around as she moved her head like clouds on the wind.

She almost didn't notice when a pair of violet eyes locked with hers, the amethyst colour seeping into her soul and her heart, locking their two souls in place. Octavia began to play subconsciously as she lost herself in Vinyl's ruby eyes and Vinyl in turn lost herself in Octavia's.

Vinyl smiled a loving smile reciprocated by Octavia, and the song finally came to a close exactly how she intended it, she took the bow away from the strings a took a bow, as was her custom, so she didn't notice when Vinyl moved from the couch and walked up to her.

Octavia's head came back up and she found her lips locked in a lovers dance, she moaned in surprise, but soon lost herself to the feel of it. Vinyl's hooves raked into her messy mane and pulled on it gently to allow their lips to part for an instant so they could catch their breath.

"Amazing... as usual..." Vinyl breathed and Octavia chuckled, panting heavily. She opened her cloudy eyes and stared at her lover with a seductive grin.

"The kiss or the music?" she asked coyly, and Vinyl smiled.

"Both," she stated before capturing those lips again in another soul searing embrace that only true lovers will understand. But before they could move any further, there was a knock at the door.

They broke apart and looked towards it, Octavia sighing heavily as she broke away from Vinyl's hooves reluctantly and headed towards the door.

Vinyl whined and Octavia turned to Vinyl opening her arms and giggled, causing the former to laugh too. Vinyl walked over to Octavia and they both opened the door together to see Derpy the mail-mare flitting just a few feet from the ground.

"Mail call!" she chirruped happily and the two exchanged a smile at the bubbly mare's attitude. Derpy rooted around in the mail bag and brought out a simple letter from the Ponyville General Hospital. Octavia grasped it and, with trembling hooves, opened it as Vinyl bade Derpy farewell and closed the door. She then turned to where Octavia stood, reading the letter over. Her face, one of a sad countenance as her eyes stopped and her hooves let the letter slip. She fell to her haunches and Vinyl instantly caught her as tears fell unbidden down the mare's cheek.

"Tavi? Tavi? What's wrong, hun?" she asked, rubbing the mares back as she shook her head.

"It's Noteworthy," she said, looking up into her ruby eyes, full of compassion. Vinyl was shocked and confused, until the next words came out of her lover's mouth.

"He's here..."


The fiery winter sun hung like a watchman to the white, velvet blanket of clouds over the sky, giving the clouds a fire to them that was rarely seen. A crimson red and fiery orange punctuated the few gaps in the clouds, offset the pale blue and made the sky look like a beautiful cloak wrapped around the world. The snow fell lightly now, after a blizzard only a few minutes before. No winds rang out over the countryside, nor did any wayward snowflake fall. The cold was still there, like an ominous beast, and it hit Noteworthy in the face. He shivered violently as he clambered out of the baggage area of the train and ran away from the train station. He coughed a few times into his hoof before he took a look around at the town of Ponyville.

It was quaint, and in another life he might've deemed it peaceful, tranquil, calm even. But now was no time for semantics or wishing for a better day, now was about making the day better by finding the one he had left and begging her for some chance at redemption and solace.

He had no idea where she might be, so he decided to ask around. Not many ponies had decided to come out that day, as was to be expected, various shutters were closed, the market held no fruit or produce of any kind, nor did the gardens hold any flowers, it was bare.

Noteworthy stumbled forward towards a passing pony in the streets. Said pony stopped and looked at him with increasing fear and worry in her eyes as he grew closer. She was about to extend a hoof, to ask if he was alright, before Noteworthy stumbled and the mare caught him as he fell, unceremoniously to the floor.

As she caught him, she couldn't help but notice his luminous green eyes, they held such depth, yet, they were old; these were the eyes of a weary soul.

"Whoa there, you'll hurt yourself, are you okay?" she asked him softly and he shook his head. "Octavia... I need... to find..." he managed to get out before he coughed again and his eyes shut. The mare panicked and checked his pulse and breath, he was breathing ever so softly, and his pulse was getting weaker. He had said something about Octavia, but right now he needed a hospital and a warm bed. He felt absolutely freezing.

She hoisted him onto her back and groaned at the weight. She wasn't used to carrying a heavy load; usually it was only a basket or two of flowers. She persevered, however, and headed towards the hospital.

As soon as she got through the door, the doctors sprung into action even before she asked for help. A bed was wheeled forward and the stallion placed on it. They checked his vitals, saying to each other that he was in a critical state. She watched helplessly as the stallion was taken through double doors at which she was refused entry. She agitatedly waited for the doctors to see her for what felt like forever.

Suddenly, the doors opened and the doctor who took him in came out and sat next to her with a smile on his face.

"Miss Octavia?" he asked and she shook her head.

"No, my name is Daisy" she said, and the doctor knitted his eyebrows in confusion.

"Do you know the patient miss Daisy?" he asked and she shook her head again, signifying the negative.

"No, we met for literally a second on the streets before he collapsed, he asked for Octavia before he passed out" she explained and he nodded.

"Is he okay?" she asked and he smiled, nodding.

"He's fine, but it was lucky you got him to us when you did, he was nearly gone. Any later and, well, we wouldn't be able to save him. But, yes, he will be fine, it'll be a lengthy recovery though" he explained, and Daisy let out a sigh of relief. The doctor put a hoof on hers comfortingly before he got up and trotted away, turning back to her one last time.

"Um, you wouldn't happen to know where Miss Octavia lives, would you?"

From:
PonyVille General Hospital
134 Stirrup Street
Ponyville

To:
Miss Octavia Strings
214 Bridle Street
Ponyville

Dear Miss Octavia

The hospital is loathe to inform you that there is a patient currently residing here who requests your presence in this trying time. A Mr. Noteworthy was admitted to the hospital in the early hours of this morning, and he regained consciousness a few moments ago, feverishly calling your name. He also wished us to inform you that he, in his words, "Wishes to make amends."

Hopefully you are not too busy to see this patient, as he will see no one else, not even the one who brought him here.

Wishing you all the best, Dr. KindHeart

Vinyl re-read the note that had fallen to the floor as Octavia threatened herself with a nervous breakdown. Why was that sick, idiotic, vile stallion bothering Octavia? Didn't he know the pain he had caused her?

Well, judging from the note he did, which made it even worse.

She set the note down on a table and picked Octavia up, looking into her glazed eyes.

"Tavi, you don't have to go, you can just ignore him you know" Vinyl said, and Octavia's eyes lost their glaze, and she returned to the world of the living. She nodded with a fake smile on her face that Vinyl saw through as though it were glass.

"I know V, it's just, he's here! Like, in town!" she said, and Vinyl nodded, bringing her in for a warm embrace as tears began travelling down her lover's face once again. Vinyl held her tenderly and brushed through her mane, doing as best she could to calm her down.

"I don't know if I can face him, even on the streets for one moment!" she bawled, and Vinyl just held her close, letting her vent her sorrow, and even share it. If she saw the scumbag and she was alone, and nopony was around to see it, she might just sock him in the jaw. What he did to her Tavi was unforgivable.

She held Octavia close for as long as she needed the comfort, and after a few moments, her sobs became a few slight hiccups here and there. Vinyl continued to rake a soothing hoof through her mane.

"I wanna go see him," Octavia suddenly said, and Vinyl looked down at her, where Octavia was looking up at her with her big pleading eyes, so full of hurt, but there was something else too, something Vinyl couldn't quite place, something akin to fear, but not quite. She couldn't bear to think it was anticipation.

"Why?" she asked and Octavia shrugged.

"I need closure" she stated, and Vinyl sighed, nodding in resignation.

"When should we go?" she asked, and Octavia smiled.

"I'll go, because I can't trust you. He's already in the hospital, he doesn't need to stay in there for longer than he already is" she stated with a smirk and Vinyl spared herself the frown in favour of a smile. She kissed Octavia tenderly on the forehead.

"Okay, but you need to promise to let him live to," she stated jokingly and Octavia nodded.

"I will. I just want answers..." she said, gazing somewhere off to the side. Vinyl gave her another hug before relenting and letting her go. Vinyl still held onto her.

"Uh, V?" she asked, and Vinyl looked down.

"Yeah?"

"Kinda hard for me to go with you holding onto me like this" she said and Vinyl smiled, a blush lightly kissing her cheeks. She got up and Octavia stood with her, and Vinyl's hooves slowly made their way from around Octavia's neck back to the floor. Octavia looked to the door with a mounting fear.

"You don't have to go" Vinyl said, sounding worried. Octavia turned back to her and smiled.

"It's okay, I- I want to, I need an answer, and the least he can do is give me an excuse as to why he did it," she said and Vinyl nodded, giving her a fleeting kiss on the cheek.

"Whatever happens, I love you" she said, and Octavia smiled before rubbing her shoulder.

"Relax, it sounds like you're saying goodbye," she said and Vinyl smiled a fake smile. If only Octavia knew what was going on in Vinyl's head.

Octavia turned to the door and breathed a deep, cleansing breath before grabbing her coat and opening the door. The cold hit the pair like a pane of glass and Octavia muttered something to herself, something along the lines of, "Let's do this," before she walked out of the door and closed it, leaving Vinyl alone.

The trek to the hospital was pure hell for Octavia. She started remembering things, step by step, inch by dreadful inch, a new memory came back to her, the memory of their first date, the memory of their first kiss, their first dance, the song that played in the restaurant, the first time they... well, no grimy details surfaced but she remembered with stark clarity the day she found out it was all a lie. What had he said to her? Oh yes, "I'm sorry Octavia, but I don't love you anymore, I think it's best we go our separate ways, and besides, Indigo's come back to me, so you can move on to"

She stomped her hoof in the snow, now going slower than Rainbow Dash's pet tortoise. How dare he? How dare he? All the time they spent together meant nothing to him! Nothing! And he left her broken, like a mirror with a stone hurled through it. She had been broken, and she had run, he had made her run away.

Of course, in reality, that was what had led her to Vinyl. Her face broke out in a smile for the first time since she had left their house. Vinyl Scratch, her exact polar opposite had won her over with confidence,\ and her beautiful eyes that one fateful day over a year ago.

Like all broken mirrors though, she had never fully healed. Even if the pieces were all glued back together, glass still had the telltale scratches, the network of fissures. Just like her mind still had the scars. Her smile disappeared.

She didn't have to do this, but something inside her made her keep going forward. Maybe she should've let Vinyl come along, maybe, because if she broke down in there, if she burst into tears, it would've been nice to have somepony to hold her, to love her, as he clearly didn't.

She stopped. The double doors of the hospital looked like doors leading to a prison. The red lettering on them never looked so foreboding. She never liked hospitals, but this was just annoying. It was as if Fate wanted her to have the worst day in the world.

She gulped and walked in through the doors, holding it open for a patient in a wheelchair coming out. She smiled as he said his thanks and entered the hospital, taking notice of Daisy in one of the chairs. Why was she here? Was her sister ill?

She pushed the thought away and walked up to the desk, where Nurse Redheart was tending to the patient list on a clipboard.

"Hello Nurse? I'm Octavia, I'm here to see Noteworthy" she said, and she heard a shuffling behind her, she took note of Daisy coming up to her and turned to see her expectant eyes on her own.

"Octavia! Are you here to see Noteworthy?" she asked and Octavia furrowed her brow as the Nurse told her what room he was in.

"Yes I am, how did you know?" she asked and Daisy smiled at her.

"I brought him here. He sort of collapsed in my arms," she admitted sheepishly and Octavia looked forward, not saying a word, nor did she let any of the information elicit any response from her. She wanted to appear cold, until he said what he had to say.

She got to his room without any further incident. Daisy remained uncharacteristically silent the whole walk, either in deep contemplation, or beginning to piece the information together, whatever snippets she had received.

She opened the door to be confronted with the scent of lavender. Any other situation and she would've found the smell pleasant, now she found it irritating. Why did it have to be lavender?

Daisy was standing at the doorway uncomfortably with her. Noteworthy looked up, saw Octavia, and lay his head back down, letting a weak cough escape his lips. Octavia turned to Daisy.

"Daisy, I would prefer to be alone" she stated simply, and Daisy nodded, stepping away a few steps. Octavia entered the room and closed the door behind her, not facing the blue stallion in the bed until he started talking, which seemed to be a long time away. So she waited, eyes closed, ready to hear the voice she had grown to hate.

"I'm sure you have questions," he said weakly, and Octavia turned her head a fraction of an inch.

"Just one," she stated coolly, and could almost hear the nod of his head. The rhythmic beeping of the machine broke any silence in a pattern, almost unnervingly so. How could he remain so calm?

"Why?" she asked, turning her head a bit more. She heard another cough. Silence once again filled the room.

"I don't know why," he whispered, and she turned, rage filling her vision. She stormed over to the bedside.

"Then how about I tell you why? Hmm?" she yelled and the beeping rapidly increased.

"It's because you thought I was nothing! You saw me as a chance to make another jealous, I was nothing to you, except a rebound buck!" she spit, anger and malicious intent dripping from her words. A tear began to form in his eye but he pushed it away.

"Occy..." he began, but was cut off by a hoof being jammed into his face, cutting him off. It wasn't a slap, per se, it was a silent order to shut up, punctuated by her jabbing him a few times with her next words.

"Don't call me that! You lost your right to call me that a long, LONG time ago!" she stated, before taking her hoof away.

"Octavia," he tried again, but the sound of his voice made her want to punch him in the jaw.

"I made a mistake. A terrible, horrible, unforgivable mistake. And I'm sorry," he said, and she laughed, turning away.

"Three years, Notes. Three bucking years it's been since you left me, and you know what? It still hurts! It still hurts because of all the time we spent together. How could six months not mean anything to you? Then I finally move on and here you are! Are you tryin' to ruin my bucking life?" she screeched, and he tried to sit up. The beeping momentarily increased and he lay back down.

"No, of course not, it was only after you left did I realise what a horrible mistake I made, she was nothing compared to you," he said, defending himself, and, to a lesser extent, her.

She whipped around violently, her hair flying about her shoulders. At any other time Notes might've thought her beautiful, but now, she looked ready to kill him.

"She was nothing? So you dumped me, almost literally in the gutter for nothing? What does that make me then? Huh? WHAT DOES THAT MAKE ME? HOW DO YOU THINK THAT MAKES ME FEEL NOTEWORTHY?"

"Please, Occy..."

Then, she did slap him, a ringing slap with the volume to startle even Daisy in the corridor. A ringing slap that left a cut on his cheek, trailing blood down to his chin. A ringing slap that hurt her hoof to do, but needed to be done.

She brought her face close to his, her eyes filled with anger, wide with the promise of revenge. Animal instincts kicked in with the prospect or repaying a wrong done to her.

He raised a hoof to his stinging cheek before allowing a tear to slip out of his eyes, unnoticed by Octavia who stood panting a few inches away.

"You. Do. NOT. Call. Me. That!" she seethed through gritted teeth and he closed his eyes, ready for another slap, but it never came. Octavia resumed her position facing away from him, this time to a nearby mirror, staring at her reflection and the reflection of the bed behind her.

"P-please, Octavia, please, I really DID Love you, I still do a little, I'm not asking for much, the promise that sometime in the future you can forgive me, or even pass me in the streets without hurting me," he said with a little fear, awaiting her reaction. She punched the mirror, having it shatter all over her hoof. He jumped and she picked up a shard, motioning to the mirror behind her.

"You see that? You did that to my heart. You broke it so bad, and now, now I've finally put it back together again, but there are still cracks," she explained, ready to burst into tears.

"And here you come, trailing up the past, and you expect me to forgive you when you're threatening to break me again?" she said, tears trailing down her face leaving stains in her perfect fur. She sniffed and closed her eyes, squeezing out another tear.

"If you loved me, if you ever, EVER, loved me, you will leave Ponyville as soon as you can. I don't want to see you again. I don't want to hear from you again. I moved on, and you WILL move on too," she put emphasis on WILL, making it a threat. She opened the door to the room to find three nurses and Daisy watching her as she left. As soon as she got out of their way they rushed into the room to clear up the glass and ask if he was okay. Octavia ran out of the hospital crying, the tears falling to the ground in a rivulet of water. She sobbed uncontrollably as she headed back to the safety of her house.

For Vinyl, the entire time Octavia was gone, her fears started to overcome her sense of rational thinking. As she sat at the piano, trying unsuccessfully to write a piece of music, she thought about what Octavia would be doing at Noteworthy's bedside. Then, she felt fear. This was Octavia's ex-coltfriend, someone whom she had loved very dearly, what if she forgave him and they discovered they loved each other again?

No, Octavia was in love with her, and what Noteworthy did was beyond anything she had ever heard of, Octavia would never forgive him, but wait, was she jealous? Jealous of a no good two-timing scumbag?

This couldn't be happening. She put her hooves to her temples and slammed her head down on the piano keys, a monotone resonating through the silence that attacked her like a plague. It hurt, but it alleviated her thoughts, by starting a headache.

She sighed and stayed that way for some time. Why was she jealous? Because she wasn't Octavia's first love? Because Noteworthy was a famous musician, or was a famous musician and she was just a disc jockey who happened to play piano?

She couldn't place it, but it was so foalish of her, she decided that the thoughts were irrational. She heard hoofsteps, fast hoofsteps. Somepony was running. She looked outside and saw the grey fur of Octavia, and she also saw the tears. She rushed to the door and opened it, and was on the receiving end of a sobbing hug.

"Vinyl -I- he- we..." that's all she got out before she dissolved into tears. Vinyl held her close and whispered sweet nothings into her ear, stroking her mane in the way that she knew calmed her down. She kicked the door closed with her hoof and just held Octavia there for what seemed like an eternity.

She shouldn't feel jealous, least of all of him, she could hold Octavia, soothe her, comfort her, and please her, whereas he had thrown everything away. She was better than him. And she knew it now. The mare in her hooves now was proof of that, right?

Still, something nagged at her mind, something that refused to let go. A still, small voice that whispered; You're not good enough.

The night came without incident, Octavia remained silently stoic. Silence filled the room like a perverted voyeur, watching them and seething over their bodies like a snake, making them both shift uncomfortably. Vinyl turned to Octavia, opening her mouth as if to say something, but at the last second decided against it. They both simultaneously took a sip from their drinks before setting their glasses down on the table.

Vinyl decided then to just lie back, and as she did so, she whispered something from a song she had been working on for some time now.

"A door will open for one's lost soul
But for a door to open one must first pull"

She quietly whispered those words, her head turning and resting on the back of the sofa. Octavia finally seemed to snap out of her trance and turn to Vinyl, blinking twice and looking down at her hooves. They were cut and bruised, stained with blood, both her own, and from the slap she had given Noteworthy.

"Since when did you become Shakeshooves?" she asked and Vinyl smiled at her tenderly, stroking a wayward strand of hair from her face.

"I'm just philosophical," she said with a smile and Octavia smiled back, tears pricked her eyes.

"Tavi, what happened at the hospital?" she asked, and Octavia looked up almost guiltily, before telling her everything, from how Daisy had been there looking more than concerned, to when she had slapped him. She even told her about her smashing the mirror and showed her the hooves, to which Vinyl insisted she bandage up.

"And you say you couldn't trust ME?" she asked incredulously from the kitchen and Octavia just shrugged; then seemed to remember Vinyl couldn't see her.

"Well, you would've killed him. Celestia knows I nearly did," she said sadly, and Vinyl came back in with a glass of water and some tweezers, along with fresh bandages before she began to inspect her lover's hoof for any stray glass shards.

"And you're sad?" she asked carefully, choosing to leave the question open ended so Octavia didn't think she was implying anything, and Octavia shrugged.

"I don't know, I, I've never given anypony such a harsh berating before, and well, the mirror and the slap, that just isn't ME, V," she said, then winced when Vinyl pulled out some glass and dropping it in the water, dabbing a cloth in it and wiping around the cut that was slowly weeping the red liquid.

"I would say the situation warranted..."

"No, V, the situation NEVER warrants violence, not even to him," Octavia cut her off, and Vinyl shrugged, taking out another piece of glass, looking over the hoof, satisfied she had done all she could, she wrapped the bandage around the hoof and kissed it. In any other situation Octavia might've smiled at the serenity and tenderness of the moment.
"But, you gotta admit he was due for a slap," Vinyl said as she stepped back into the kitchen with the bowl of water and glass, now tinged a slight pink, and the wet towel.

Octavia shrugged again. "Maybe..."

"Well, the real question is, do you feel better now?" she asked, and Octavia shrugged.

"I don't know, V, I really don't know..."