• Published 12th Apr 2020
  • 3,288 Views, 299 Comments

Youngblood - Centurion Pike-Wall



Sequel to The Broken and The Damned. Rainbow's sons spend a year in Ponyville as exchange students. How will the two of them react to a culture so alien to them, and the former friends of their mother?

  • ...
11
 299
 3,288

PreviousChapters Next
47~At School Years End

May 27th, 3096 Imperial Calendar (1523 AD)
Ponyville Regional Junior Regional University

"Clover the Clever once said, 'Education is a light in the endless void of ignorance'", Twilight Sparkle said, her voice amplified over the school's Sports Field, and to the seated rows of parents, relatives, and friends that filled it. "I have believed that since before I heard that quote; since I was a little filly. All my life, it has been my desire to learn and, eventually, my desire to teach. It has been an honor to help all those here today achieve. To drive away the darkness with the light of knowledge, that they can use to forge a better future. All I can say, is thank you."

The two crowds, one of students and one of those coming to see their graduation, erupted into cheers. Those in the field stood, applause rippling out and across the outskirts of Ponyville like a great ripple. The graduates stood, tossing their flat-topped caps into the air. As they retrieved them, the two crowds merged, parents and acquaintances embracing.

"Oh, I'm so happy for you two!", Mrs. Cake said as she tightened her hug around her children.

"Tight", Pound Cake said, flapping his wings impotently.

Flurry Heart snickered, "Shouldn't you have gotten used to it by now?"

"Shut it", Pound Cake said as he wiggled free of his mom. "Thanks mom."

"Congratulations, Amicus", Depressi said, giving the pegasus a small pat on the shoulder.

"Right", Pound Cake said. "Can I take this thing off now? I'm not Pumpkin who's got her preppy school next."

"Hey!", Pumpkin Cake said.

"Pound, be nice to your sister", Mr. Cake said.

"What am I? Bucking 4?", Pound Cake said, before shooting Depressi a deadpan look. "Rhetorical question. Don't answer it."

"What does he mean?", Depressi asked. "You have a university set up?"

"Manehattan Culinary Institute", Pumpkin said proudly, showing off a small pin on her cap: A pair of crossed whisks and the letters MCI. "I just got the acceptance letter a few days ago!"

"I see", Depressi said. "Congratulations. I've heard good things about that school. Though, why you need to go to a school for cooking is beyond me."

"Broadening your horizons, learning how to make fancy pastries and stuff", Pound Cake said, having finally stripped off his graduation cap and gown.

"Pound, I understand that you aren't going to a full university, and I respect that", Mrs. Cake said, giving her son a stern look. "But, for once at least, could you show some decorum?"

"Sorry, mom", Pound Cake said.

"What are your plans then?", Depressi asked.

Mr. Cake said, "He's applied for the Wonderbolts Academy."

"I haven't gotten my application back", Pound Cake said. "But I'm optimistic! No way they could refuse talent like this!"

"What about you, Depressi?", Mrs. Cake asked.

Pumpkin Cake said, "Yeah. I mean, you've said you still have one more year of school, but what about after that?"

Depressi sighed, straightening up and clearing his throat. "I plan on enlisting. Hopefully, I can prove competent enough to warrant a commission to an Officers Academy."

"You're going into the army?", Pound Cake asked.

"Navy, actually. Mother wasn't exactly thrilled by this, naturally", Depressi said, chuckling. "But, well, she's not exactly full in-charge of me anymore. But, yes. I am enlisting."

"Any reason why?", Pumpkin asked. "I mean, we aren't exactly at war or anything."

"'A rusted blade is no blade at all'. Just because there is no nation at war with one another doesn't mean there are no threats. Even if there weren't, the military is involved in more than Civil Defense and combating the enemies of the Fatherland."

"I... guess", Mrs. Cake said, visibly uncomfortable. Depressi once again cleared his throat.

"But that is neither here nor now", he said. "This is a day for you two. Let's not worry; let us celebrate!"

+++++~+++++

As expected from anything Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich arranged, the Graduation Afterparty had gone all out.

The gym had been almost completely converted into a party space. Most of the central space had been converted into a dance floor, with Soundboard manning a soundboard and blasting out music for the crowd of newly graduated students. Tables had been set out, some with seats for eating, others piled high with food and drink. Various games lined the outer areas, with students gathering around them, either waiting their turn or cheering on those playing.

One such set-out game was Billards, which had a few students gathered around it playing casually. Depressi said, "So, what? A few curt words, and all that fuss?"

Across from him, Glitterati nodded, sighing. "Sometimes, I wonder if a reordering would be in order. A few families raised to nobility and a few others lowered from it."

"But then what would stop the families raised from changing their attitudes over time?", Depressi countered.

Glitterati said, "Nothing, I grant you. But that doesn't mean that the idea of the Aristocracy is completely useless."

"Only mostly", Depressi said.

"A certain group of individuals that are trained and prepared for public office or other positions of authority would be better suited for holding those positions compared to, no offense, any old creature off the street", Glitterati countered. "What is that saying... 'Each creature's lot is drawn according to their skill'?"

"True", Depressi said, striking one of the balls. "But that does not mean that said skill should be localized in a few families. That causes stagnation, like when water has been left in a pool for too long without cleaning or refilling. It becomes murky and dirty, and ultimately causes more trouble than it's worth."

"Sweet auntie Celestia", Flurry Heart said, drawing both of their attention. "As interesting as it is to listen to you two debate societal organization and philosophy, we are playing Pool at a graduation party. This is literally the last thing I want to hear about."

"Apologies, Princ-", Glitterati began, only to be cut off by a withering glare from Flurry. "Flurry. I-I mean Flurry."

"Indeed", Depressi said. "So, what are you doing after this? Heading back to the Crystal Empire?"

"Nah", Flurry said. "Besides the obvious-Friendship games in Creui this year and all-I'm spending summer here. As long as I can away from-"

"You never really explained why you are so...", Glitterati said, tapping the cue to his chin as he thought about it. "So... opposed, to dealing with your parents."

"One word: Overprotective", Flurry said, lining up her own shot. "Like, to a creepy degree."

"Do you not love them then?", Depressi asked.

Flurry lunged forward with the cue, sending a ball spinning into the corner hole. She said, "No, of course I do. And before you say anything about your mom and her parents being over-eager with everything, it's not the same. I also don't wanna hear it."

"You brought it up, not me", Depressi said. "Still..." He lined up his own cue, before sending it shooting forward. The white ball bounced off the last of the balls, sending them shooting into separate holes while leaving the eight ball spinning in the middle. "... It wouldn't hurt to talk about it."

"Good show", Glitterati said, giving Depressi a small clap.

Flurry grumbled, laying against the front of the table. "I mean, they've gotten better, but-"

"You'll have plenty of time to do so", Depressi said, retrieving the frame and beginning to set back up the balls. "You're attending the Friendship Games, no?"

"Yeah", Flurry said, looking down and breathing deeply. "I'll be there."

PreviousChapters Next