• Published 10th Aug 2011
  • 16,252 Views, 160 Comments

My Little Metro - redsquirrel456



After Doomsday forces ponies underground, a lone colt braves the Stalliongrad metro system to save his people from an unknown threat.

  • ...
9
 160
 16,252

Chapter 13

My Little Metro: Chapter 13

“They are jackals, but I am a wolf.”

“So you’re really going to do it?”

I turned away from the mirror I’d been staring into and met Ruby Red’s gaze steadily.

“I am.”

“Hot damn,” the murderess whistled. “Now that I think about it, and I mean I’ve really thought about it... I gotta say one thing.” She punched my shoulder and cackled. “You don’t stand a fucking chance!”

I turned back to the mirror. I’d been standing here in the Fort’s infirmary, waiting. Waiting for the appointed time to come. It’d been one hour already. I knew word was spreading through the Fort like magically charged fire: new kid on the block decks Steel Crescent! Fights for a slave! Match of the year! Come watch an insolent young pony get his head stepped on by the local bruiser! Entertainment for one and all. My feelings didn’t match the enthusiasm the rest of the bandits had for the match; a quick peek into the Rec Room showed them already milling about the fighting pit. I had a very tangible pit in my stomach that seemed to be slowly swallowing up my insides the longer I mulled over my rash actions back in the Gut. I wasn’t afraid. But I was nervous. I had time to think, which more and more became a liability. Three hours until the match was an arbitrary number I’d thrown out on a whim, and at first I thought it would give me time to prepare. But I could hardly get ready for a brutal cage match in three hours when I’d never received anything beyond basic self-defense training. I knew how to shoot guns and punch ponies in vulnerable areas. I didn’t know much about actual “fighting.”

Up until now I’d been depending on adrenaline, luck, and quick thinking to build on lessons I’d already learned. I’d been fighting against opponents in the thick heat of battle, with no rules and no need to do anything except point and shoot and not get shot in return. But here I’d be stuck, with no chance of escape or help from my friends. It was like my time in the cages, except the bars were on my imagination. I couldn’t see a way out of this, because there wasn’t. I was heading on a straight line to a confrontation I’d set up for myself. All I could do was wait as every tick of the clock pushed me closer to the precipice.

Ruby Red poked me in the side again, intent on disrupting my concentration. “Hey. Why do you want to get Sidewinder out, anyway? He’s a prick and annoying to boot.”

I stared into the mirror, watching Ruby Red’s reflection while I talked. “He has information I want.”

“So ask him while he’s in the cages.”

“He won’t give it up while imprisoned. I... know him from before. He’s not the kind of pony who’ll talk easily without something in return.”

Ruby Red’s reflection cocked a suspicious eyebrow. I knew I trod on eggshells, dancing my way around a potentially dangerous conversation. “You could just beat it out of him.”

“He’d just tell me what I wanted to hear. Or he’d find some way to enjoy it. I need him to feel like he owes me something. That’s how stalkers work. They’re mercenaries.”

“You sound like you know him pretty well.”

I rolled my eyes. What business was it of hers, and why was she suddenly interested in talking more than beating me up? I stepped away from the mirror and began to pace the small room, delicately stepping over old bloodstains that’d never been cleaned up. “Yes, I do,” I said curtly, hoping that would be the end of it. Unfortunately, Ruby was taking great delight in my growing discomfort. Suddenly following me around wasn’t boring anymore. Her predatory side was aglow with the scent of a fight in the air. It made her curious and upbeat. I couldn’t tell if that made her more or less off-putting than the dour, bloodthirsty creature I’d seen in her before. She leaned against the dirty, graffiti stained wall and watched my pacing with a razor-sharp smile.

She enjoyed this.

“So? You do know him? Well give, Lockbox, give! Don’t leave me hanging.”

I hopped onto an examination table and regretted it immediately; it felt like it hadn’t been washed since the War. I scuffed a hoof along the rotten cushion. “I didn’t know we were suddenly friends.”

“That was before you stopped being a pussy. I mean, Celestia knows I’ve wanted to clock Steel Crescent a good one since the day I met him, but I couldn’t. Not as often as I’d like, anyway. Auntie thinks it’s better for discipline or some shit. But the way you just walked up and nailed that guy! Whew!” She grinned, showing her surprisingly white teeth.

A snow ghost leaped at me out of the blizzard, jaws open, teeth bared.

“I didn’t know you had it in you, kiddo. Of course it’ll take more than that to put Steel down for good. He’ll keep coming. You don’t stand a chance. Not a fucking chance. But you better put on a good show before he kicks your head in, especially after that stunt in the Gut.”

“You don’t have any advice?”

“What can I say? Do whatever the fuck it takes. It’s what I’d do.”

“Does Buttercup know what’s happening?”

“I’d say the whole damn Fort knows by now. And don’t worry about Buttercup. She’ll be keeping an eye on the match I’m sure, but she won’t do anything to stop it... it was an honest challenge. A chance for you to prove yourself... that’s what she wanted for you,” she added, in an ominous, low voice. I perked my ears, wondering what she meant. Was it possible that in doing this I was giving Buttercup reason to believe I was on her side? Willing to try out the lifestyle she offered to me? I didn’t know if I should be comforted or worried by that. My only plan so far was to get Sidewinder out of jail and use his freedom as leverage to make him help me get out. I didn’t know if he’d be willing to reciprocate my kindness, but it was my only chance. I didn’t know what the consequences of my actions would be beyond getting him out. I’d just have to push onward, as I’d been doing all along on this insane journey.

I sighed and closed my eyes. Two hours left... rather, one hour and however many minutes. I wondered what Steel Crescent was doing, and posed the question to Ruby.

“Probably pacing the floor snorting about what a little pissant you are and fantasizing about all the horrible things he’s going to do to you. Hey, you still haven’t told me about how you know Sidewinder!”

“I don’t want to, obviously.” I stood up and began to hop from hoof to hoof, trying to get my blood flowing so my body would match the anxiety my mind felt. I wondered idly if I should get a stiff drink before the match; it’d certainly distract me from the pain I knew was coming. Though no stranger to it by now, the fact that I couldn’t avoid it and knew I’d be a bloody mess on the floor through my own choice somehow made everything worse.

“You’re such a freak, Lockbox. Come on. Tell me.”

She came up next to me and poked me in the side.

“Tell me.”

“No.”

She shoved me.

“Tell me!” she said, making her voice sound especially whiny. “It’s not like you’re going to do anything except hang around in this room.”

I rolled my eyes and turned away again, noticing the unbalanced grin on her face as I went for the door. She was a predator, all right. Enjoying the chase, the petty thrill of getting a rise out of somepony. She bothered me and she knew it, and she liked that. She was getting off on taunting me and preying on my insecurity and stubborn nature. Better than watching me sit and mope in a corner, I supposed.

She followed me across the room, poking and prodding with horn and hoof. “Tell me, tell me, tell me!”

“I need to concentrate. Leave me alone.”

I was flung to the ground by a powerful shove. My face skidded along a grime coated floor with a gut-wrenching squelch. In the back of my mind I noted that I’d need to change my now dirty bandages. Ruby Red’s voice, now a dangerous hiss, slithered into my ears.

“Get up, wuss.”

My eyes jerked wide open. She no longer sounded mirthful or teasing; she was deadly serious like when we’d met in the cage room. I scrambled to my hooves and turned, wondering what kind of silly offense I’d done to her this time. Brushed my tail against her leg? Breathed the wrong way? Looked a little too long in the mane? But no explanations were forthcoming except for a swift right hoof to the face. I went down like a tree, but Ruby Red caught me with her magic and propped me up again.

“Come on, I’ve seen grandmas take better hits! The fuck’s wrong with you?!”

“The fuck’s wrong with you!” I spat. “I didn’t do anything!”

“That’s the problem, Lockbox!” Ruby snapped back. In spite of her tone she had a strange smile on her face, suddenly full of nervous energy as she paced back and forth before me. “You’re not telling me what I want to hear, so now I get to test your boxing. Now fight me. You got an F so far. F for fucking failure.”

My chest rose and fell like bellows, seeing red. I didn’t want to fight her. I wanted to kill her. I wanted to fight Steel Crescent and then get Sidewinder and out of this hellish place. I wasn’t her plaything to be shoved around and provide entertainment whenever she wanted. In spite of the throbbing pain in my cheek I took a step back, watching her expression go from eager to angry to confused, then back to terror-inducing rage. I gulped, but held firm. I didn’t like her. I didn’t like any of these ponies. But I wasn’t going to be intimidated so easily, not after all I’d survived. No, this mare was just latest in a long list of killers I’d managed to kill.

“No,” I said. “I’m saving my energy for the real fight.”

Ruby snorted, stamping her hoof on the ground. I thought for a moment she’d charge, but then she took a long, shuddering breath and stood up straight, somehow looking down at me even though I stood just a tad higher. Her mane fell over one eye, and she grinned in a manner that was far too calm given her previous outburst.

“The... real... fight?” she asked, sauntering towards me, step by step. “Lockbox. Since when is any fight not... real? Are you saying that some fights just... don’t count?” She waggled a hoof. “I know you’ve killed ponies, Lockbox. Nopony gets as far as you do without it. I can see it. In your eyes. Smell it. In your hair.” She began to crowd my space, and I scooted back a few steps, bracing myself for another attack. Ruby just matched me pace for pace until I was backed into a corner, eyes darting for an escape. Still she came on, her rose red eyes boring holes into my head. I saw Sweet Dreams in that hateful, disturbing gaze that turned my stomach. I dared not look away, lest she think she’d won, or take it as an opportunity to attack me.

“You’re tougher than you look. But that doesn’t mean you won’t get the shit beat out of you.” Ruby shook her mane until it fell over one of her eyes, setting her nose directly in front of mine. “You need to wise up, Lockbox. There’s nothing standing between you and me but your hooves. But you don’t think... this is real?”

She grinned, and her horn glowed. The heat of the magic bleeding off of it washed over my face, making me turn my cheek. That only made her wave her horn closer, nudging the tip towards my eye.

“I can do... whatever... I want.”

Something touched my heart. It wasn’t a feeling; I felt as though something had literally grabbed hold of my heart! She was holding my heart! I gasped and my hooves flew to my chest as a cold sweat burst out all over my body. I fell to the ground and huddled against the wall, gasping for air. Still the magical grip on my vitals persisted, and as my eyes darted in their sockets, looking around the room for escape, I caught a glimpse of Ruby’s smile. I couldn’t move for fear of provoking her. So I did nothing.

Regardless, she squeezed.

I screamed.

The icy claws had clutched my delicate heart for only a moment, but I’d never felt closer to instant death than I had in that one, horrible second where she literally held my life in her hooves. I spasmed and stayed on the ground, panting, while she loomed overhead, breathing hard. I could only imagine what kind of extreme concentration it took to perform a feat like that. It might even be impressive if I didn’t know she wasn’t a psychotic killer. I glared up at her with as much loathing as I could muster, though fearful of more pain I stayed on the ground in a pathetic little ball as she began to speak.

“I used to be called Heart Throb,” she said in a nostalgic, almost gentle voice. “That was the name my... the name I got at first. I might’ve been a doctor... a surgeon... If I wasn’t born in a shit world like this. Found out my magic is a little... darker... than normal. More powerful. Check it.”

She slid back part of her thick, plated barding so I could look at her flank. Her cutie mark, finally on display, was that of a heart with a blue ribbon, or perhaps a bandage, wrapped around it.

“I can do magic that a lot of ponies just wish they could do. But I do it to break hearts instead of heal them. Ironic, isn’t it?” she mused. “Cutie fucking marks. What’s so cute about the shit we put each other through down here? You wanna know real, Lockbox? Real is the vise I just put around your fucking heart. Real is the hooves that’ll come flying at your face and breaking your bones. What fucking right do you have to just waltz in here and be the tough colt in town... like it’s some kind of game? Like you deserve a chance to win and... and shake things up?”

She reached out. I would’ve recoiled, but her movements were slow, hesitant. I didn’t know what point she was trying to make, but I was ready for anything at this point. I was surprised when she began to stroke my mane, having the gall to even make the soft touch feel genuine. I shivered with revulsion under her touch.

“You’re different,” she whispered. “I can see it. Buttercup can see it. Steel Crescent’ll see it when you walk into that ring against every rational thought you have and try to beat the shit out of a pony twice your size.”

She smacked my cheek, hard, then pointed at me with her hoof.

“But you’re still a weakling. You’re no big shot wanderer. You’re a kid. A stupid little kid who’s got some crazy idea in his head that he’s different just cause he thinks his balls are bigger. What, your daddy give you one too many beatings and now you got something to prove-”

I thrust her hoof away and lunged. She was ready for me, grabbing me around the neck and using her considerable strength (for a unicorn) to spin us around and use my momentum to try and throw me down. I planted my rear hooves against the ground, and earth pony magic surged through my muscles, bracing me and preventing a fall. My hoof slammed into Ruby Red’s stomach, and though my hoof almost cracked against her barding, I knew she felt it from the way her body was jolted upwards, and she tried to push me away. I let her go and dropped onto my front hooves, spinning around to try and buck her smug, grinning face. She dodged it easily and then jumped up into my stomach until her shoulders and neck were pushing against my ribs. She lifted up and flung me aside with frightening ease. I dropped to the floor like a bag of bricks, listening to her pounding hooves carrying her towards me before I was done landing. I saw her rear up to strike out of the corner of my eyes, and instead of rolling away I jumped up to meet her, and through luck or fate my timing was just right. My hoof flew up and collided with her chin in the split second between her coming up and slamming her front hooves down.

She spun away and grimaced, and was met by another savage right hook across the face. She staggered. Fueled by rage, wanting her to feel the pain she’d put me through so far, I crossed the distance in one leap to continue the attack.

I was stopped in midair by a deep purple glow around my body jerking me to a halt. I went flying back and slammed into the table, flopping over the edge until my face met the ground again. Not to be deterred I sprang back up and rushed around the table, ready to kill... but Ruby Red was holding up a hoof to say the fight was over, smiling through a bloody lip and a swelling eye. I stopped in a ready position, one hoof up and my tail swishing.

“Okay. Okay. You got some spunk,” she said, shaking her head. Her horn shimmered and the door was flung open. I stayed tense and ready as she began to walk out. Her tail flicked me in the face as she went by.

“But you still don’t stand a chance, Lockbox. Not a fucking chance.” The door shut behind her.

I huffed and bucked the wall as hard as I could. It left a satisfyingly large crack and two hoofprints.

“We’ll see,” I whispered, though it was more to myself.

As far as it takes, a yellow pony whispered in my ear.

/-/-/-/

I breathed. Breathing was all I could do. All I could focus on. It helped keep me from panicking. Just outside the door I could hear the roar of the crowd. My surprise challenge had drawn quite a turn-out, so Squeaky Clean told me. Almost two hundred ponies. A veritable army all come to watch me get turned into a red smear on the ground. Steel Crescent was a popular pony... popular in that everypony knew who he was and did their best to stay out of his way, or so I gathered. That I’d challenged him of everypony in the Fort was one reason it was such an exciting idea.

“So here’s the low-down on this ‘ere scrap,” Squeaky Clean said, standing next to me. He’d taken it on himself to be my “motivator” before and during the match. “Steel Crescent’s gonna come at you hard an’ fast. He’s nopony to fuck around with, so hit ‘im like your life depends on it, cause it does.”

“Why are you giving me advice again?” I asked him. He gave me a slithering smile.

“Cause I like makin’ friends ‘stead of enemies, kiddo. There’s somethin’ about you that says you can get shit done, an’ I like that in a pony. ‘Sides, if you’re gonna be one of us, might as well put on a good show, eh?” He patted my shoulder. “Come on then. You’re an earth pony. You know that we don’t go for all the fancy shit that unicorns go on about. You get in there an’ do what we do best: buck the hell out of anythin’ that gets in our way. You ready?”

“If I’m not, then we’ll find out soon enough.”

“Ha ha! That’s the spirit! Come on, let’s go meet your soon ta’ be adorin’ fans.”

He pushed the door open, and I stepped outside.

Immediately I was met with a harsh glaring light that made me squint, and the roaring of the crowd was all I could hear. It was a mix of honest cheers, cruel jeering, and wild encouragement. Most of it was bloodthirsty.

“Rip his fuckin’ head off!” I heard one bandit shout, though I didn’t know who he was talking to. Eventually the glare lessened and I could see a straight path leading from the door to the ring. Steel Crescent was already there, stomping and snorting and encouraging the bandits to cheer for him, throwing his mane around. I stepped out into the avenue, surrounded by bandits that grinned and leered and angrily shouted for no particular reason, the noise thudding and pounding in my ears. A spotlight followed my movements. A quick scan of the crowd let me see Sidewinder chained securely on top of the podium where the Monarchy mare had been before. For reasons I couldn’t discern, he had a huge grin on his face.

“Lockbox! You’re my hero!” he shouted over the din, waving at me. I shook my head and entered the ring. The gate shut behind me with an angry clang. Pony faces sneered at me from every conceivable angle, shouting obscenities, waving hoofs, practically crawling over each other for a good look. Floodlights stared down like wide-eyed foals around the perimeter of the ring; I felt their heat even from here. And across from me stood Steel Crescent.

He paced the opposite side of the ring like a demon set loose after being starved, eyeing me with malicious intent. Ponies were chanting his name, eager to see him exercise his great power. Outside of his armor I saw every bulging muscle, every stretching tendon with every step he took. A shaggy, lime green mane fell over bronze eyes that glared with very real hate for me, the usurper that dared to challenge him. He was a real monster of a unicorn, and I couldn’t help but imagine him goring me to death with his horn just because that seemed an appropriate thing for such a terrifying pony to do. Squeaky Clean reached over the ring’s chest high barrier and tapped my shoulder.

“Remember what I said!” he shouted. “Get in close an’ finish the bastard quick!”

I didn’t know if that was wise, getting a closer look... but I couldn’t let that stop me. I was in the ring. There was no going back.

I am the earth.

I planted my hooves firmly and took a deep breath, ignoring the aches and pains in my body, ignoring that most of me was still swathed in bandages. I ignored the fact that I was comparatively small and didn’t know the first thing about actual fighting. I ignored everything except my goal. After all I’d been through, Steel Crescent would not deny me.

I walked to the center of the ring in time with my opponent. A zap of purple magic burst on the ground between us, coalescing into a purple flame. I turned and saw Ruby Red holding up a hoof for attention.

“Remember the rules! No magic! No going for the dangly bits! Other than that, there’s no rules! Now get it on!”

I turned and stared Steel Crescent in the eyes. For just a moment, it was only me and him, standing over the tiny flame that separated us, both ready for blood.

The flame flickered and died.

The first punch sent me reeling. I realized it came from the left when the left side of my face erupted with pain. I staggered against the fence surrounding the arena, only just dodging another strike from Steel Crescent that dented the metal barrier behind me. I leaped and rolled when I hit the ground, hearing Steel’s powerful hooves striking the earth moments after I got away.

He’s fast. Faster than I thought. I had to see if I could-

WHAM!

I spun and collided with the concrete floor, hearing the boos and taunts from the crowd. It was official: my entire face was now numb, and the match had barely started. My eyes rolled in their sockets and beheld Steel Crescent pacing the ring, working the crowd into a frenzy with his posturing while I flailed ineffectually on the ground.

“Stop wasting time!” Ruby Red shouted in a magically amplified voice. “Finish him already!”

“I’m gonna stomp your fuckin’ head in!” Steel Crescent bellowed. I stood up and narrowly avoided becoming paste on the floor, watching Crescent’s hooves leave imprints in the concrete. Though I didn’t actively tap into the strength of the earth, my legs were steady and I wondered, did earth pony magic count as actual magic? Would they notice? Would they enjoy the fight more if I cheated?

Steel Crescent came at me again. He kicked out with his front hooves, but I managed to stay just out of range, and when his body came down, I was ready. My heart thudded in my chest, a keen reflection of the way my hoof thudded into Crescent’s nose. He jerked his head back and I pressed the attack, feeling the blood rush through my veins and pound in my ears. Two more solid blows to the head forced Crescent back a single step, and I pushed in closer, rearing up to crash my front hooves into his skull.

Crescent’s shoulder bashed into my rib cage. I felt more than heard the impact, the air forced from my lungs in a painful rush. My world spun as I fell backwards and barely managed to on four hooves by twisting awkwardly. On Crescent came, spitting curses. I hopped back and threw my hooves up against his, and we scratched and clawed on two legs for a few brutal seconds before we crashed back to the ground. Crescent turned to one side and lashed out with his back hoof, forcing me backwards into the iron wall of the ring. Crescent saw his chance and loomed over me. I saw one of his hooves come forward and raised my own to block.

Crunch went something in the side of my face as his other hoof collided with my skull. I fell to the side and slammed against the barrier, almost thrown bodily over it. Ponies crowded around me, taunting me to stay down, urging me to get up. It all blended together into one dizzy cacophony of noise. I felt blood trickle down my nose as I planted my hooves on the top of the wall and breathed, sucking air through the fluid that dribbled out of my mouth. My lip had been split open. Steel Crescent was behind me. I could feel the heat of his body as he prepared to deliver the final blow, reared up on two legs.

Something deep inside me up until this point had been twisting, bending, curving into shapes it wasn’t meant to be. The stress had come relentlessly with no way to vent. No way to relax. And in that moment, feeling the final indignity of all my efforts coming to naught because of a boxing match, that something snapped.

“No more... fuggin’ around...” I rasped, and came to life.

I heard a gasp of surprise from the crowd as I spun around, catching Crescent’s hoof before it came down, trapping it over my shoulder. My other hoof crashed into his belly, driving him back as I shoved with all my strength. Once, twice, three times I smashed his stomach into his spine, pushing him back into the center of the ring.

Crescent grabbed me into a bear hug and crushed me against his chest, spinning about to hurl me to the ground. I landed on four hooves and came at him again, wrapping my hooves around his neck and slamming any exposed bit of Crescent I could reach, hammering his back and neck. The massive unicorn bucked wildly as I clung to him as fiercely as I could, kicking my back leg up into his ribs as we hopped awkwardly around the ring, with me gamely hanging on. The unicorn bellowed with rage and jumped up and fell down, crushing me under his weight. I felt the collision with solid concrete, my back riven with pain as Crescent rolled off me. When I stood I found his legs bucking into me, throwing me clear across the ring and into the wall. Before I could stand he was on me again, his hoof crashing into my ribs, my neck, my face and my head. Blows rained down on me like a lead blizzard as I raised my hooves to protect my skull. When he went for my stomach I jumped up and gave a great heave, pushing him away. When he leaped at me again I ducked under his hoof and gave him a good cracking punch to the chest, feeling vicious satisfaction when I heard him gasp.

He hopped away, more wary of me now. Old wounds had reopened and my bandages were a mess. Blood was starting to leak down from a large cut on my head. Pain was everywhere, but it galvanized me to fight. Yes, bring it! More! Give me more! He wanted a fucking fight, I’d give him one!

“Come on!” I shouted as we circled one another, blood spraying from my lips. I saw a cut on the unicorn’s cheek, and he was starting to sweat. I knew I was. The crowd roared its approval at my renewed vigor.

“That’s it, Lockbox!” I heard Sidewinder shout from his platform. “Give it to him! Hit him! Hit him! Come from the right!”

Crescent lost his patience and flew at me. We came together in a flurry of kicking hooves.
I bit him on the mane and pulled viciously, feeling several strikes land on my sides. Celestia, it hurt. But I didn’t cave in. I punched his shoulder, his knee, his lips, anything I could reach, until he shoved me away. As I landed I spun around, aiming to send a right hook into his head, but he caught me first. I spun around again and met the cold iron of the wall, sliding down until I was on the floor. I grabbed the rim of the wall and heaved myself up, seeing Sidewinder on the platform, prancing on his hooves with excitement.

“I meant your other right, Lockbox! Lockbox! You just got punched! Hey Lockbox! I think you’re losing!”

“I KNOW!” I screamed raggedly and turned just in time to see Crescent charging me like a bull. I leaped away and heard the heavy crash as Crescent smashed into the wall face first, driving his horn into the metal and almost goring the ponies behind. I hoped it hurt the bastard. I slid along the wall and staggered to a stop again. Everything was aching. I couldn’t feel my face. Half of it felt dented inwards. My front hooves were numb from striking solid muscle like rock over and over. Blood was starting to leak into my eyes.

I came face to face with Ruby Red. We locked eyes. Though she was surrounded by screaming, angry ponies, she had a look of almost serene, contemptuous calm on her face. She enjoyed seeing me suffer like this. I saw the amusement dancing in her eyes.

“Not a chance,” I saw her mouth, and she reached out and placed her hoof on my head, nudging me back into the ring.

I was met by Crescent’s angry glare. Blood streamed from his nose and his eyes were red, with blood or hate I didn’t know. He shook off the dizziness from his collision with the wall, still eager to hurt me.

“Come on you fucker!” I roared, though it came out more as “Commagh aghaabl!”

He came. Cautiously at first, winding his way across the ring, until he tried to feint under my hooves and spin into a buck. I ducked underneath and sprang up again, driving my hooves into his stomach to push him right off his hooves, though when I pushed he seemed to suddenly lose some of his weight, making me the unbalanced one. I staggered forward and he slammed a hoof into the back of my head as I went by, driving me face first into the floor. Stars exploded in front of my eyes, beautiful colors swirled in my vision. Crescent tried lifting me off the floor again and I tried to push him up and away once more, using my disproportionate strength as an earth pony. Again I was deflected and heard the unicorn chuckle as he lifted me off the ground with a blow to the stomach and threw me down again. I ended up on my back, staring at the ceiling.

“Stay down!” Crescent roared. The crowd was a tidal wave of noise. I couldn’t tell if they were supporting me or Crescent or just enjoying the bloodlust. A few excited pegasi had taken wing and hovered above, pumping their hooves as they chanted something I couldn’t hear. But before any referee could put an end to the fight I stood up again. I’d felt a strange tingle that time, and not just numbness from the pain. I’d seen a faint glow.

Crescent had used magic to keep himself on his hooves and throw my weight elsewhere.

Fucking unicorns. There wasn’t any recourse for me; I had to end the fight or get beaten to a pulp. They wouldn’t stop just because of a little cheating here and there. But seeing that blatant act had ignited my fire again; I wouldn’t hold back anything this time. I was an earth pony. We didn’t have magic spells. We couldn’t fly. But we could kick some serious flank when we needed to.

“I am the earth.”

I stood up and came for him again, feeling magic course through my legs. My punch met his outstretched hoof, and I felt his taut muscles bend back under my assault. He cried out and hunched over, leaving him open for a brutal buck right to the ribs that sent the massive unicorn flying.

The crowd went wild.

I stood up straight and basked in the approval. They either didn’t know I was cheating now too, or didn’t care. Maybe everypony cheated. But the sight of Crescent lying on the ground and clutching his side was more than worth it. I turned and saw Squeaky Clean banging the walls in excitement, shouting for me to finish him off. Ruby Red hung over the wall, watching me intently, neither smiling nor frowning. I saw the pink tip of her tongue lick slowly across her lips, as if she could taste the blood in the air.

Crescent stood up again and charged. There were no more pretenses. His horn glowed and my muscles flowed with power. I fought his attempt to magically lift me off my hooves, keeping my own planted on the ground. The earth embraced me, anchored me, protected me. It didn’t do the same for Crescent, who threw his hoof at me again, the limb wrapped in magic to make it faster and more powerful. I leaped up and punched it away easily, sending another blow right into his shocked face. Blood jumped from his mouth and splattered on the ground.

The fight devolved from there into a straight up, knock down melee. I didn’t see or hear or notice anything except the driving desire to finish off the unicorn. I stayed anchored to the ground and his superior weight seemed like nothing. I wondered if the adrenaline of the fight was helping to increase my powers, or just flexing my magical muscle had given me greater ability than before. Either way, I I felt my hooves smash into him again and again, blowing away his defenses as he attempted to push through mine. In spite of this my body couldn’t take endless abuse. Without the power of the earth I’d have been a goner already, and I could feel myself growing tired. We hammered each other again and again, not even paying attention to form anymore, testing the limits of each other’s endurance.

Crescent’s horn flared brightly as we reared up to face each other, taking me by surprise. His hooves knocked away mine with surprising ease, and I saw a magical glow even behind his bloodied, rage-filled eyes. It seemed the angrier he got, the more magic he was able to channel. I realized this right before his magically charged hoof smashed into the side of my head, sending me straight to the ground. Everything went dark. The crowd faded to muted background noise. I didn’t even feel the concrete as I smacked into it. It was wet. Oh, dear. Was that my blood or his?

Fucking unicorns.

But as I struggled to stand up again and Crescent licked his wounds, wary of a trap that I didn’t have in the works, I saw something on the ground next to me. Shining against the blood and the concrete.

A tiny screw. I plucked it up in hoof and knew in a moment what I had to do.

“Bad omen,” I said, laughing as I spat out blood through teeth that ran red with it. I’d need an entire week in the infirmary after this. Maybe a good massage from a pretty mare. Lots and lots of sleep.

Crescent came at me again, and this time I was ready. I spun about and met his charge, letting him drive his shoulder into my chest. I wanted to be above him. I felt his hot breath snorting into my chest as he slammed me into the wall, driving the breath from my lungs. I almost threw up all over his back. But I held my hoof high, and kept the point of the screw pointed down.

I drove my hoof down onto his head, straight at the point where horn met skull.

Crescent screamed like I’d never heard a pony scream before. The screw stayed lodged in his flesh as he pulled away. I didn’t know how far I’d need to drive it to make it hurt, but apparently it was enough to hurt like hell. Crescent clutched his horn and shook his head wildly, like he was shaking his skull right off his neck. I dropped onto all fours and waited, breathing hard, trying to take these precious few moments to rest. No surprise, everything hurt and I was bleeding from several gashes on my face and sides, and I think Crescent had managed to rip out a good chunk of my mane. I felt dizzy and unsteady.

Crescent looked up at me, at once shocked, confused, a little indignant, and murderously furious. I gulped. He didn’t look just angry anymore. He looked absolutely, positively livid beyond all rational thought. And he still hadn’t given up. I wondered if pain was some kind of psychological fuel for the big bastard.

Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all.

The crowd just cheered as he flew at me, bellowing, utterly mad with rage. He couldn’t use magic, not directly at least, the pain would have been too much even for him to bear with part of his horn punctured. But he could still fight, and he could still smash my skull into the floor. I remembered something about magically charged nerve endings in unicorns, acting like circuitry, as he plowed right into me and very nearly hurtled me backwards. But my own magic held firm. That didn’t stop him from smashing me with hammer blows from his hooves. I felt my concentration slip, and my magic slipped away from me.

I fell to the ground, but Crescent picked me up again and sent me reeling with a vicious headbutt, followed up by a one-two strike to the gut and head. Ah, hello again ground. How are you?

I fell into the back of my mind, away from my own eyes until my vision tunneled. I saw Crescent shouting in my face from far away, no doubt telling me how worthless I was and how I was as good as dead. The crowd’s noise was drowned out. Even Crescent sounded distant. All around me was a comforting, warm blackness. The black of sleep. I dropped into it and very nearly gave in completely.

And then above me, she appeared. Her gentle blue eyes gazed down at my beaten and battered form with endless compassion. She shook her head almost fondly, as if I was merely a little colt who’d gotten dirty playing in the mud. Gentle flaps of her radiant, almost solar wings brought her closer and she held out her hoof, the end of her pink mane tickling my nose, brushing my cheek. I saw her lips move, and she whispered something I couldn’t hear over the roar of the crowd. I reached up and took her hoof in mine.

She pulled, and I came up with her, and then past her, rushing back into consciousness. My outstretched hoof was no longer holding hers, but flying out towards Crescent’s face. I felt strength rush back into my limbs, propelling me upwards. My hoof positively burst with energy. I felt as if the entire world beneath me was pushing me up. All of that energy exploded right into Crescent’s chin as my hoof made contact in an uppercut worthy of songs and poets. His head snapped back, and his body followed suit, convulsing as it left the ground. I, too, was lifted clear off my hooves by the incredible burst of energy, and for a moment I hung in the air, my hoof reaching up and Crescent bent over backwards.

The faces in the crowd were priceless.

I came back down with a clatter of hooves and a loud thud as Crescent crashed to the ground. Blood and dust swirled in the air around me in a whirlwind dance.

And the crowd cheered.

Some of the voices were angry; clearly I’d upset a few ponies who’d taken heavy bets against me. One or two brawls broke out. My head swam and my body dribbled blood. My limbs shook uncontrollably and my chest worked like a set of bellows as I sucked air through bloody nostrils. Fatigue and the cold sweat of post-adrenaline lows rushed over me. But I didn’t care. In fact, I’d never felt happier. Crescent groaned and twitched on the ground. The giant was slain. The challenge was done. I threw my hooves in the air and several ponies cheered with me. Squeaky Clean was at my side, thumping my back and chanting my name as a pegasus draped what I supposed was some kind of cloak of honor around my shoulders. The little newcomer had beaten the toughest son of a gun in the whole Fort. My eyes caught Ruby Red’s. She didn’t look happy. But then, she didn’t look dissatisfied with the outcome at the same time. I made a rude gesture with my hoof and turned away, pointing up at Sidewinder, who was grinning expectantly.

“Down. Get him down,” I said, and Squeaky Clean motioned for a nearby pony to release him.

The Stalker danced in place and hopped down from the platform, winding and weaving his way towards me through the crowd until he could put his hooves on my shoulders.

“Lockbox! You crazy, beautiful son of a bitch, I can’t believe it! Ha! I knew there was something special about you!”

I didn’t feel special. The high was already starting to leave me, and instead of feeling alive I felt half-dead and looked it too. “Nothin’,” I mumbled through bruised, swollen lips. “S’nothin’.”

“You look like shit, my friend! I’ve never seen a more beautiful sight! I could kiss you! But that’d be weird, wouldn’t it? Ah, what the hell, I’ll do it anyway!”

Without any warning, he yanked me forward and planted his lips on mine, smearing both our faces with the blood and saliva that dribbled down my chin.

My eye twitched.

And then everypony was laughing as Sidewinder picked himself off the floor, chuckling and snorting like he’d heard the best joke in the world while he held his cheek where I’d decked him. Squeaky Clean joined other ponies in chanting my name. Even though I knew this would all likely just lead to more trouble, I felt myself buoyed up by the noise, the cheers, the rush of victory.

For just a few, precious moments, I felt like things were going my way.

/-/-/-/

“You really stirred up the hornet’s nest, you know.”

I lay on a bed in the infirmary. In the Fort I’d become the hero of the hour, with no small amount of ponies coming to congratulate me and proclaim what a badass I was. A few came just to get a good look at me and sneer. Ruby Red hadn’t come at all.

Auntie Buttercup had come to talk. She looked far too pleased with herself, as if this had been her plan all along. I doubted it.

“I know. That wasn’t really the idea. But I guess I can use the fame,” I said, wondering how this was all going to pan out from here. I didn’t want bandits on my side, didn’t want them loyal to me, didn’t want to get caught up in their petty politics. I planned to use this as a leverage to get out before they were any wiser. Maybe I could volunteer for a mission and slip away before they found us.

“Hmm. Just remember, the more popular you get, the more enemies you’ll have. I knew that letting you stay was a good idea... you proved you got guts, going up against Steel Crescent like that. He’ll be nursing a grudge for months, though. I hope you can take care of yourself.”

“You aren’t going to help me if he makes a move?”

“I try to keep an open hoof about this kind of thing. If I took sides in too many personal disputes, it’d just piss off some of my best ponies. Crescent isn’t stupid enough to try anything too blatant, but I won’t hide the fact that sometimes my boys and girls can get a little... rowdy, when I’m not paying enough attention. I can’t give you personal protection, but I will warn you that he’s not exactly a pony to forget when he’s slighted.”

“Grand,” I said. “So, what’s next?”

“Well. Now that you’ve earned the respect of my soldiers, and gotten a friend out of the cages... perhaps it’s time to see what you can do in the field.”

She stepped closer, putting her face uncomfortably close to mine.

“You’ve earned your place, Lockbox. And now it’s time to earn my trust. Learn how things work around here when you work for me.”

I don’t work for you. In fact, first chance I get, I’m putting a bullet in your brain. I’m here because of you. I’m doing these things because ponies like you refuse to make things better with all your power.

“What do you need?”

“Try not to look too eager to please. It gets a pony thinking about your motivations. Anyway. Once you’re well enough, you’ll be going with Ruby Red to one of our outposts to the south. I’ve gotten a message that the Lunar Republic wants to cut a new deal involving our smuggling activities. And I need to talk to them about the... hrm... the troubles we’ve been having.”

“Rangers and cultists?”

Buttercup raised her eyebrow.

“I heard rumors.”

“No doubt. Cultists are moving in our turf, and I’ve got Rangers apparently carving their way through my blockades and checkpoints. Can’t have that. I need clear tunnels to transport my goods, and if I start losing ponies left and right they’ll lose faith that I can keep them alive. Bandits you see are very simple creatures at heart... they want to live. They want to do what they like while they’re living. And they want their booze. Oh, do they want their booze...” She looked to the side, tossing her mane, smiling in a manner almost wistful. “Point is. I’m sending you to see what the Republic is really like. So you can be useful. Maybe you can even intimidate old Lucky Clover’s generals. They’re going to need our help when shit goes down between them and the Monarchy... it already is, but once it gets worse, they’ll come crawling to us like they should. We’re the only ones who can get them a good deal on weapons and supplies apart from Hoofsa, and they’ve thrown their lot in with the Monarchists. Frankly everything is ready to fall apart, Lockbox. I need good ponies on my side so my boys can get through this in one piece.”

“Where do you get good deals for weapons?” I asked Buttercup looked at me as if I’d grown a third eye.

“We cut deals! We put ponies against the wall. We bribe them! Give us what we want and you won’t find your caravan guards’ throats slit. Come on Lockbox, don’t make me regret taking you in. It’s not that hard to figure out. We do what we have to do to survive.”

Yes. Survive until you die. That’s what you all do. It’s all anypony seems to do. I rolled onto my side when Buttercup left and faced the wall, wondering what opportunities my chance to get outside the Fort would give me. Sidewinder would be invaluable with his knowledge of the tunnels, assuming he didn’t backstab me again, and from what I’d gathered he had no love of the Fort, and the bandits didn’t like him much either. We both needed this chance to escape, which was why I’d decided to send Buttercup the message that I’d accepted her offer. Surprisingly, Buttercup had ordered a colt to stand around specifically for that purpose. I was definitely getting the red carpet treatment by bandit standards.

Sidewinder came to visit soon after Buttercup did. I knew because even though I’d been looking at the door, he suddenly jumped up in front of my face.

“My hero!”

“AHHH!”

/-/-/-/

“Sorry again, Lockbox.”

“If I didn’t know better,” I said, gingerly touching a cloth to my lip, which had been cut in my fall from the bed, “I’d say that was some strange kind of assassination attempt.”

“Ha! Better get used to it! Famous ponies have enemies, Lockbox. The more famous you are the more enemies you have. Fortunately, I’ve got your back.” He tried to put a hoof around my shoulders. I shrugged him off.

“Why? So you can throw another howler onto it?”

Sidewinder flinched, and though the smile didn’t leave his face, it grew thin and unconvincing.

“I got you out of those cages so you could help me, Sidewinder. I figure after that, you might be a little closer to being square with me for trying to end my life. Don’t pretend that we’re friends.”

Sidewinder chuckled, and it wasn’t the kind that made my spirits perk up. It was deep, throaty, almost frightening. Suddenly he was all smiles again, draping his hoof around my shoulders again and utterly ignoring my attempts to buck him off.

“All right, Lockbox, all right. But for the record, I wasn’t trying to kill you. I just left you to your own devices. Clearly, it’ll take more than that to put you down. Besides! What’s a little nastiness between friends? I’ve backstabbed my share of ponies. That they couldn’t see me coming is their own fault! Hey, just to make it up to you, the next time you get a free shot, I’ll let you take it, and I won’t even haunt you after I’m dead!”

“I’ll hold you to that.”

“Good! Oh, by the way. Ruby Red’s in a mood. So when we head out on the mission, she might take a free shot too.”

“They’re just going to let you out? I haven’t even asked anypony yet.”

“I’m a free pony now thanks to you! I mean, they could technically still murder me in my sleep. But technically, I can also do whatever I want now! And I have you to thank! Isn’t that funny, us being best friends even though we wanna kill each other? Or you just want to kill me. You’re far too entertaining for me to think of offing. Speaking of getting off-”

“Be quiet. Please.”

He laughed. The grating, forced sound made my ears fold down on my head. This pony was for real? Sometimes he seemed even less believable than Nopony.

“How can you laugh about all this?”

He winked. “Easy! I know all about laughter. I just so happen to be a direct descendant of the one and only Pinkie Pie! Element of Laughter? Premier party pony... pink as a pearl sweet as sugar I-wish-I-wasn’t-related-so-I-could-fantasize Pinkie Pie?”

I blinked. I knew the name, if not the pony... the Elements of Harmony were legend, after all, especially in times like these. If that was in any way true, it was... rather impressive, actually. Not that I actually believed him. “How... do you figure that?”

“Easy!” He ducked down and put his face uncomfortably close to mine to whisper, squishing our cheeks together. “I read the notes.”