• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 23,216 Views, 486 Comments

The Broken Mare - darkangel_31314



Twilight Sparkle wakes up near the Everfree Forest, pregnant, with no idea how she got there.

  • ...
35
 486
 23,216

Finding Rarity

Fluttershy took the tray that once held breakfast in gentle wings as she stepped out the door and glanced to one side. "She's ready to see you now."

As the familiar voice wafted back the room, Twilight laid back in the hospital bed, eyes closed, wondering what happened with Rarity. Why did she leave Ponyville? Why did she give up?

Perhaps she had given up like everyone else?

It was a possibility.

I will have to correct it. Just like I did all the others.

Yes. Correct it. The voice in the back of her mind was right.

The foal will need aunts to help care for it. Mommy will need stability.

Twilight smiled, a golden twinkle in her eyes. Rarity is the last on her list. It was now time to get answers to those questions.

Just remain calm, control your breathing, and deal with Rarity.

She took a deep breath to settle her heart as the rustle of expensive fabric reached her ears. Twilight opened her eyes - the twinkle was gone - to regard the fashionista who stood in the doorway, staring in disbelief at the pregnant mare on the bed.

"Twilight... I'm told it's really you."

"It is, Rarity." She croaked out. "I'm told everyone thought I was gone, dead, or worse."

"Twilight!" A ball of purple and green scales launched from the folds of Rarity's dress to latch onto the pregnant unicorn and refused to let go.

"Hello, Spike." Twilight hugged the young dragon she had raised she hatched him, and thus quite possibly could be considered her son.

"They spent months looking for you." The white unicorn slowly approached the bed, draped in a saddle dress of silk and lace that perfectly blended with her indigo mane, with a matching cloch hat canted around her horn studded with perfectly shaped jewels that matched her azure eyes. As always, Rarity was perfect, even the smile she had as she watched the two reunited. "Both Princesses. Your brother brought half the Royal Guard, and they used everything to try and find you, darling. They were camped in and around Ponyville for weeks." She dabbed at her eyes with an embroidered handkerchief.

"I know, Rarity."

"Well, I must say you look absolutely dreadful. Whatever that beast did to you, we can easily undo. The Princesses are here waiting to see you and I'm sure they can-"

Twilight cut off her friend with a raised hoof and a glare. "I'm eager to find out, I assure you. It seems that wherever I was imprisoned prevented the Princess from finding me, but that still doesn't explain what happened to my friends. Spike, I know what happened with him." She smiled at him as he blushed, still refusing to let her go. "I'm glad that the Princess took care of you." She glanced up at the white unicorn. "But what I'm worried about right now are my friends."

She sat up in bed, holding Spike almost possessively with one forehoof, another gently rubbing her bulging belly. She counted them off; "Applejack spent time in and out of the hospital, crippled during the fight. Fluttershy was taking care of Pinkie Pie whom had a break with sanity. Rainbow Dash felt bad about her perceived failure to protect me." She eyed the other unicorn. "But what about you? What happened?"

Rarity's mouth worked but no sound emerged.

"Come on, Rarity. You can tell me."

Rarity's lower lip trembled.

She's afraid. Naturally. Give her time.

Twilight eyed her expectantly, but said nothing.

Eventually; "... everything just fell apart after you were taken." Rarity began. "It was... different with you gone. It was like every worst possible thing rolled into one. Jewels just didn't shine properly, I couldn't think of anything to do for my next line, I needed... I needed a change of scenery. To get away. So, I took up one of the offers Fancypants gave me to go to Canterlot. I found I had the time with everything going to Tartarus, so I did." She set her jaw, but the tears came. "I went... and I didn't come back."

"Why?"

The white unicorn took a deep breath, trying to find a way to explain to her friend. "He and his darling wife, Fleur de Leis, gave me a place to stay. Away from Ponyville, I was able to stop thinking about you, and was able to focus on my design work again. Fleur gave me one of her spare rooms to use as a studio and I started there. I managed to secure rights from Princess Celestia to acquire some crystals from that dreadful cave you and Princess Cadence were trapped in, and went to work. Spike lives in the palace again, so he was able to come with me, still my little helper." She gave him a shy smile, forcing him to bring out a normal blush. "Still my little Spikey-Wikey."

"Aww... Rarity!"

"He missed you, you know."

"I know." Twilight hugged him again.

After a moment, Rarity resumed. "After my first commission, I was able to hire workers to reopen the Carousel Boutique and open another store in Canterlot. More dresses, more fancy shows... I dove in with all four hooves together." She frowned. "... and I didn't look back..."

Twilight frowned.

Make's sense.

Rarity was also suffering from traumatic stress.

Just like Pinkie Pie.

Twilight nodded thoughtfully. Rarity had been in denial about what had happened. "Working made you forget what happened to me."

Rarity nodded slowly. "Yes. You know that when I work, I really lose myself in it. And surrounded by Canterlot's elite, new orders, new dresses, they came frequently, I just buried myself in my work." She hung her head. "I'm so sorry, Twilight..."

"It's okay, Rarity." Twilight smiled.

Rarity looked up with a pouting face. "... tell me you're real, Twilight... that this isn't some nightmare I'm having that when I wake up I'll realize you're gone... I don't want to lose my friends again..."

Twilight smiled and held out a hoof. The other mare was hesitant to take it, but eventually lifted a forehoof gently to touch it.

Twilight smiled and hooked the leg, pulling Rarity into a tight embrace.

"Oh Twilight!" She sobbed.

"It's okay, Rarity. I forgive you." She nuzzled her friend's neck. "From what I'm told, It's my fault. I should've had more help going into that palace again... And I accept that. Even if I can't remember it..."

"Oh, Darling!" Rarity pulled from the hug and caressed Twilight's cheek. "What did that monster do to you?"

"I don't know... but I hope to find out." She rubbed her pregnant belly. "I need to know why this happened to me."

"Well, I'm sure a mare as smart as you will be a great mother."

"Yeah... perfect. I can already picture myself standing over the changing table with my nose in a book trying to find out how to change a diaper." She snorted.

"Hay! You raised me, didn't you?" Spike spoke up again.

"Yeah... well... I had the Princess to help."

"I say you did a great job!"

Rarity and Twilight exchanged looks, then laughed. "Yeah... I guess you're right, Spike." Twilight hugged him again, giving him a loving nuzzle, and eliciting a groan of embarrassment from him.

"Twi-light! Not in front of Rarity!"

"Sorry, my number one assistant! Apparently I've missed a year plus of hugs and letting you know how much I appreciate you!"

Rarity giggled. "Speaking of which... Twilight, with the girls helping you will be a great mother. And with my talent, even the diapers would be the most fashionable in Equestria!" She nuzzled Twilight again. "I want us all back together now that you're back, so we can all help you with the foal."

Perfect. Just what I wanted.

Twilight stroked her friend's mane. "So do I, Rarity... so do I."

"Oh, just look at me... a Lady isn't supposed to cry like this..." Rarity huffed.

"It's okay, Rarity. With the way she's squeezing me, I don't think she minds." Spike said from where he was wrapped tightly in Twilight's hooves.

The pregnant unicorn had to agree. "It's true. Last night I had Rainbow Dash sobbing on my beside."

Another laugh. "Oh dear, I would have loved to have seen that."

"I promised not to let it out. She's a soldier now and has that stoic demeanor to uphold."

"I understand, darling." She paused. "I'm... still sorry for just... forgetting about you."

"Rarity, everypony thought I was dead. I'm pretty sure that Princess Celestia has commissioned a statue of me for the Royal Garden by now."

"It's true. Due to be unveiled next week." Spike piped up.

Undeterred, Twilight continued. "But I understand. You were hurt, and as you always do, you focus on your work to ignore it."

"Some Element of Generosity I am... so selfish of me..."

"Now don't say that." Twilight stroked one of Rarity's forehooves. "You buried yourself in your element. You wanted to make everyone else happy and look lovely. You gave and you gave, bringing out the beauty in everyone, ignoring your own pain."

Rarity began to cry again. Spike managed to slip from Twilight's grasp to hug the white unicorn.

"Pinkie was the same way." Twilight continued. "When everyone knew I was gone, Pinkie saw you all breaking up, sad and hurt. She wanted you all to smile, and so strongly wanted to believe that I would come back."

"... and we didn't believe her..."

Twilight nodded sadly. "And Fluttershy... her Kindness still flowed. She gave up her animal friends to take care of Pinkie. Rainbow Dash gave up on her dreams to remain loyal to her friends, to protect them. Applejack faced the brutal honesty of her condition and your changed lives."

Rarity looked away.

"Now, perk up. Be the lady I know you to be. I'm back, and we're going to get our friends together and get through this. With you all by my side, we've accomplished so much, and we can do so again. Can you do that for me, Rarity?"

A soft, warm smile appeared like a sunrise. "I promise, Twilight." She fidgeted a moment. "... I wonder how they're paying for Applejack's hospital bills. If Princess Celestia is taking care of them, I'm sure with her handicap they need help with the farm... I should have enough in my Emergency Fund..."

"That's my girl. When you go out there, I want you to hug our friends for me. And send in the Princesses. I have some questions for them too."

The trio embraced again.

"Spike, I need you to take care of Rarity. I want to speak to the Princesses alone."

He looked up at her in surprise.

"Don't worry, Spike. I'm not going anywhere." She gave him a reassuring smile.

As the door closed behind them, Twilight smiled, the golden twinkle returning to her eyes.

Now to deal with the Princesses...