• Published 7th Jul 2019
  • 2,790 Views, 111 Comments

Shard of Magic [Worm crossover] - blake0831



Taylor Hebert Triggered, Discord intervenes and gifts her with the gift of Equestrian Magic instead. Plus a bit of helping hooves

  • ...
2
 111
 2,790

Chapter 6

Taylor sat in a chair in her bedroom, contemplating the completed costume laid out on her bed with mixed feelings. Mostly pride/confusion, some pain and plenty of guilt.

The pride was mostly how she managed to put together, in a nearly a week of discrete work, a decent looking costume with some sewing supplies and materials from both the market and the basement storage. The confusion came from Taylor trying to figure how did 'sewing skills' and 'fashion sense' came to be part of a power. Not to mentioned how some of the colours or material combinations were made. Nevertheless, it's a good looking costume.

The main part is the now one-piece dark-grey flightsuit made from reinforced insulated fabric (how did the skill went into making the fabric tougher, fireproof and yet cosy-warm and breathable from common materials somehow gave Taylor headaches) that has a pleasant yet bright teal racing stripe going up and down the sides. Black rubber knee and elbow pads were tastefully sewn in. On top of it was a lighter grey tactical vest with zippered pockets. Around the waist sat a black utility belt, complete with a fanny belt pouch on the back. A black pair of motorcycle racing gloves reinforced with securing straps lay next to the suit. A black pair of hiking boots with extra padding and securing straps sat to one side of the bed. The final piece was a teal lined black domino mask, with its eyes replaced with swimming goggle (the lenses replaced with Taylor's spare prescription lenses) and the securing strap came from a scuba mask. Overall, it looks good to her.

The reason Taylor is feeling some pain now isn't because of the suit. It's because she tried her new Radar power just now, and the information overload of trying to process numerous markers and alerts in a 2 kilometer diameter area around her all at once gave her a massive headache. As it is, she has an icepack on her head and desperately hoping that her improved healing or the aspirins she had taken would help ease the pain soon. Next time, she'll try it with not all the mental 'toggles' set to 'on' and readjust the range and coverage spread a bit.

The last part, which was guilt, was why Taylor is still in her room contemplating instead of planning her test flight. Specifically, her guilt of procrastinating to tell her father about her powers. She had promised herself to tell him about them, as soon as she found something to impress him. But... the Hardlight Shield ability alone would have been impressive as well, right? Or even her Zapgun or Punch-Blast passive abilities. Why wait until getting a Flight power? Why wanting to wait until after the first outdoor flight? Why not tell him before? Why not tell him before she had started working on a costume?

Taylor sighed. Maybe it's because she's worried about his reactions. But if she doesn't tell him now, his trust in her will be... damaged. They had already started patching things between them. Is she really that eager for an outdoor flight right now? Enough to risk her relationship with her dad? She's afraid of what he'll do, but he's family. Things may be distant after Mom's accident, but Dad still loved Taylor. His daughter.

Taylor struggled with the dilemma for a few minutes, before settling on a conclusion.

No more waiting. Whatever happens, she's telling Dad tonight.


**************************

Dinner was done and both daughter and father sat together in the living room sofa. Taylor fidgeted uncomfortably, while Danny stared at her expectantly in trepidation. Taylor sounded... grave when she asked to talk to him after dinner, and despite his weariness after work, Danny agreed.

"...Dad. I have... something. Something big to tell you." Taylor hesitantly started.

Danny leaned forward, and faced her. "What is it, Taylor?"

Taylor softly said, "Well, it's like this...?

Danny suddenly cut in. "You have a boyfriend? That's why you're more vibrant these days?"

"What? No! I mean, I was happier, but no-" Taylor protested, with a slight blush rising.

"Or is it a girlfriend?" Danny pressed lightly. "I don't mind as long as you're happy..."

"No! No girlfriend either! It's..." Taylor denied louder a tad before took a deep calming breath and fought down the slight blush. "It's something else."

"Okay," Danny accepted. "Sorry about that kiddo" He took a deep breath. "I'm trying to lighten me nerves a bit."

"Yeah." Taylor agreed, her mood swinging back to a more somber state.

After a moment or two, Danny prodded, "So...?"

Taylor took another deep breath, and softly muttered, "I have powers."

Danny blinked at that. "...pardon?"

"I have powers" Taylor repeated louder and clearer. "I'm a cape." she clarified.

Danny looked at her with wide eyes, "...jesus." He opened his mouth, closed it, and tried again. "Are- are you sure? Since when?"

Taylor let out a tiny nod."Yes" She then continued, not quite looking at her father in the eyes. "Since the Locker incident."

"That's.... nearly a month and a half ago. Why...?" Danny asked, his face a tad paler.

"Because I wasn't quite sure. I thought what I got then wasn't worth the worry or effort to tell someone." Taylor said in a rush.

Danny caught onto something. "...what you got then?"

Taylor swallowed. "...I thought." She paused, then continued slowly "I thought what I am is a grab bag cape at first. Just some minor powers. Stuff like just a bit tougher, just a bit stronger, that sort of thing."

"Oh." Danny said. "What changed?"

"I think... I think I'm a Trump. I can get new powers. Strong ones." Taylor explained.

Danny raised as eyebrow. "...like Eidolon? That strong?"

Taylor shook her head and shrugged. "....I don't know. Maybe? Not as fast to get new powers though."

"....huh." Danny said, staring out a bit emptily.

"...Dad?" Taylor asked in a small voice.

Danny shook himself out of the state. "I'm here, kiddo. I just need to... think things over a bit."

"Oh." Taylor answered.

"...what do you want to do with your powers?" Danny inquired.

Taylor looked down."...I want to be a hero."

"By yourself?" Danny asked, wide-eyed.

"....I don't know." Taylor admitted.

Danny took a breath, before prodding. "How about joining the Wards?"

"...I want to research more first. Want to get all the info before committing." Taylor said, with a side along glance at her father.

Danny frowned slightly. "I see."

"....can you help? Ask around or something? Help me put together a bigger better picture of my options?" Taylor implored, her voice hoping.

Danny answered with barely any hesitation. "Sure, kiddo."

Taylor let out a relieved sigh. "Thanks, Dad."

There was a moment or two of silence between the father and daughter, before Danny started, "Taylor?"

"Yes?" Taylor answered?

"I'll always be here for you." Danny said, his voice firm with conviction.

Tears of happiness came to Taylor's eyes, her body relaxing and leaning onto her father. "....Thanks."

There was another moment of silence before Danny started again. "So..."

"Hm?" Taylor inquired.

"Want to show me some of these powers of yours?" Danny asked.

"Sure, Dad." Taylor answered with a beaming smile.

Author's Note:

That was difficult. I hope I got the conversational scene, tone and mood right.