• Published 14th Jul 2019
  • 2,865 Views, 358 Comments

Reflections in Black and Pink - Krixwell



When a group of changelings infiltrating Manehattan mistake a rogue Pinkie Pie clone for one of their own, nopony will know what hit them.

  • ...
7
 358
 2,865

Chapter 8 - The Shortcut

Mandible had regrets.

He had brought Proboscis, or whatever her real name was, into their squad because he had thought that her running loose was a risk. That somepony might recognize her form as Pinkie Pie and realize she wasn't supposed to be in Manehattan. That they would get mildly suspicious and maybe go to the police officers with it. By the time anything was done about it, the squad would probably be long gone, he realized when he gave it more thought.

But what he hadn't expected was Proboscis herself bringing the police down on them so effectively through her incompetence. She was a menace of idiocy, and now the streets were filling up with police officers from all precincts, all looking for her and her five changeling companions.

At least he hoped she was just an idiot. Gena seemed to believe she was doing it on purpose, and who knew, maybe it took a traitor to spot one.

After Proboscis had disappeared from him at the station, Mandible had been skeptical of leaving her alone with Clypeus when they went into the clothing store, so when they came back into the alley where the squad was waiting, he let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding.

Then he heard Labrum laughing behind him and it sunk in what Proboscis was wearing. It took all his willpower not to groan so loudly it'd draw the attention of every police officer within a mile.

Frons spoke before Mandible could. "That's not the outfit I would've taken," he said, "but what do I know about pony fashion. Well, as long as it does the job."

Mandible doubted that it would.

"Mandible," Frons continued, "you studied the map. How far is it to the edge of the city?"

"About half an hour, I think, going straight south by hoof." Normally, they would've flown, but somepony had to be stuck in a form without wings.

"We'd better get going, then. Everypony shift." Every changeling except Proboscis took a new form – Mandible that of a red, yellow-maned pegasus – and Frons started leading them out of the alley and south

"Wait!" Proboscis said as they came to an intersection. "I just remembered I know a shortcut!" And so she bounced off to the left.

Mandible followed with his wings. "Pro–" He caught himself. No sense in outing them by using changeling names in public. "Party Popper, come back here!"

Proboscis stopped abruptly, causing Mandible to crash right into her. They tumbled around a few times until they came to a stop with Mandible lying with his back on the ground and Proboscis grinning down. Her two hats loomed over Mandible, adding to his embarrassment – it was one thing to look like a fool, but looking like a fool next to an actual fool was even worse.

"I didn't think you'd be that excited about my shortcut!" Proboscis said as she continued bouncing.

The rest of the squad, most wingless except for Gena, caught up to Mandible. Frons offered a hoof to help him get up, but he didn't take it. He could get up on his own.

Proboscis had stopped at the next intersection towards the east, and was waving for the squad to follow.

"Let's just go, let her do her thing," Gena said. "Old Queeny can't say we didn't try to get her to come with us."

"But she can say we failed," Labrum said, looking eager to follow Proboscis wherever she was headed.

Clypeus looked thoughtful, but his slight frown remained shut.

Mandible groaned. As much as he regretted his decision to bring Proboscis along in the first place, the real reasons he'd had, the ones he didn't like to acknowledge even to himself, still applied. They couldn't just leave her behind. It just wasn't right.

"Labrum's right," Mandible said, though the Queen was the last thing on his mind. "Frons?"

Frons was looking pensively at Proboscis, who was waving even more frantically now. "No more splitting the squad. Let's–"

He was cut off by Proboscis screaming across the block. "ARE YOU COMING OR NOT?!"

"–go."


When they caught up to Proboscis, Mandible tried to point out to her that logically, there couldn't be a shortcut to the east because the closest part of the city border was straight to the south along the streets.

Proboscis simply said the shortcut wasn't to the east, and headed north. North!

When she took a third left turn and brought them westward, in the direction of Saddle Row, Mandible felt the need to dig his head into the ground. He had heard some griffons did that when they were startled, but he was sure this kind of frustration warranted it more.

Gena looked as peeved as Mandible felt. Had she been right about Proboscis? Was the pink mare leading them in circles – well, squares – to hold them up while the police mobilized everything they had to catch them?

Wait… Shouldn't we have reached Saddle Row by now?

He looked around and realized the area around him looked unfamiliar. In place of the tall buildings most of southeastern Manehattan was defined by, this area had small, dilapidated, seemingly abandoned buildings. It didn't take an expert in pony architecture to tell that they were clearly in the Manehattan style, apart from their size, but this definitely wasn't Saddle Row.

The rest of the squad didn't seem to have realized that something was strange about their surroundings, except maybe Labrum, who was laughing again. He laughed entirely too much for Mandible's liking, and always at the worst times.

"How did we…" Mandible said, mostly to himself. He trailed off as he followed Proboscis around a corner to the right, heading north. In front of them was a simple road heading into a forest. Next to it, a sign informed him they were leaving Manehattan. To his left and right, the transition between city and nature stretched as far as his eyes could see.

All he could manage was a single, flat word. "What."

"Told you I knew a shortcut!" Proboscis reminded him cheerily.

"We took three left turns and a right and ended up at the northern edge of the city!" Mandible protested, ignoring Labrum's hysterical laughing fit and Gena and Frons' dropped jaws. "Even the hive isn't that confusing! It doesn't make any sense! You don't make any sense!"

Proboscis' smile faded. "Not everything in Equestria does. Sometimes you walk in a square and don't end up where you started. And sometimes you think the world works one way until somepony you thought was a friend…" She cut herself off, hesitated, then grinned again. Something about it looked different, but Mandible was too upset to pinpoint what it was. "Let's not talk about that. We have a Queen to see, right?"

Frons echoed her in a low, thoughtful voice. "Right." He walked ahead to take Proboscis' place at the front of the group.

"But– I– what?!" Mandible sputtered. "WHAT?!"

Nopony answered him as they walked into the forest.

Author's Note:

By all accounts, it doesn't make sense.

I do have an explanation in mind for the shortcut, but I don't know if it'll make it into the text of the story. I didn't get a good opportunity to establish it here and it probably won't actually matter later (and arguably doesn't right now either).

Basically, the idea is that some of Discord's chaos wasn't fully purged by the Elements each time they were used on him, leaving some spots that still don't quite make sense, such as this little bit of noneuclidean geometry in Manehattan (which for all I know might only work if you make three left turns first).

And so I end Camp NaNoWriMo at 12,085 words. My original goal of 20k was set somewhat arbitrarily, since I wasn't sure how much I could expect of myself, but when I realized I wasn't going to make that, I set 10k as a secondary goal for myself. And given that I reached that secondary goal, and got into the habit of writing regularly (which I hope to keep up), I still consider this a success.

(To be absolutely clear, the end of Camp NaNoWriMo does not mean the fic is ending.)

UPDATE, September 18, 2019: This was originally chapter 9 of the story, but I decided to swap the positions of this one and the next one (this changes nothing continuity-wise). So the next chapter was also written during Camp NaNoWriMo and is included in the wordcount given above.