• Published 23rd May 2019
  • 10,476 Views, 570 Comments

Timeless - RadBunny



When Princess Luna returned, the thousand years of banishment was a blur. It was merciful, in a way. Everycreature she once knew was there one minute, and gone the next. One stallion wasn't so lucky.

  • ...
13
 570
 10,476

Chapter Eleven: Lunar Dances and Moonlit Knights

“That’s all we’ve got? Some mysterious packages containing purple liquid, Windigos, and the knowledge our enemy is planning something?” Tempered Steel asked, frowning as Shifting nodded.

“So far at least. It certainly doesn’t make my job any easier too. All those escaped prisoners just vanished. That’s at least a hundred ponies that may have joined their cause, maybe more. They’re bound to make some sort of move. Perhaps this lag time is to train the new recruits?” the Lunar Knight Commander sighed.

The leader of the Celestial Legionnaires let out a huff, setting aside the few sheets of paper with a grunt. “Now that’s a disturbing thought indeed, but at least it gives us more time to prepare. I’ll pass this along to the head of the Royal Guard. I don’t really know what else we can do, other than be on the alert. My units are stretched thin as it is, having been covering both day and night incidents,” the light orange earth pony then grinned, gesturing to Shifting. “It’ll be a load off my back once you have the Knights up and running again. We’ve worked far too long without them watching our backs. I had my suspicions about you at first, Commander- but safe to say, you’ve blown every expectation out of the water, both in the Centurions, and in the royal guard.”

Shifting smiled back, nodding in reply. “Just doing my job- same thing I’ve been doing for a thousand years. Well, sort of.”

A genuine laugh left Tempered’s muzzle, the pony waving a hoof at Shifting. “Yet another reason we are happy to have the help; you’ve got a bit more experience than most. I imagine you’ve got somewhere to be though? Thank you for the update however; let me know how the screening process goes.”

Throwing a respectful salute to his daytime companion, Shifting nodded as he trotted out of the secluded offices, the guard ponies on station stiffening as he passed.

The screening process…the recruits should already be there.

As the Commander traveled to the training grounds, the unicorn let his mind wander slightly. The past week…no, it had been two; the time flying by. The days had blurred together, very little time being allotted for freedom outside of training and restructuring the Lunar Knights. Shifting had been trying his hardest to get the recruits up to speed- because they needed a fighting force to supplement the other guards. Thankfully, they were about up to par in terms of combat now, and were preparing for their final exam.

At least I got a few dates in!

The second, third, and forth dates with Luna had been brief but no less enjoyable than the first. To the warrior’s surprise, Luna seemed most relaxed when simply reading and discussing ancient art or poetry; something Shifting had quickly prepared for.

That look on her face when I told her that the poem was about a pear and not a lover; I knew the guy! He loved pears…so maybe was both?

They had only been able to spare an hour or two for such dates, but the subtle feeling of being relaxed with the other continued to grow.

That’s how it should be though, right? Just not worried about putting on a façade or the like. I’m just glad we could keep things up, even in a crisis!

And then there’s the dance in a few days, I wonder if the package-

“Hello my aged unicorn! How goes it?” a drawling voice asked, a familiar Draconequus floating in front of Shifting.

“It goes well, other than paperwork. Lots of paperwork. If not for how important it was, I wouldn’t mind some of your chocolate rainclouds to wash it away,” Shifting grumbled. “Nice to meet you officially by the way, Discord. I expected you to pop in much sooner. We did meet earlier though; about a thousand years ago?”

The Lord of Chaos’ cheery demeanor deflated ever so slightly, Shifting then waving a hoof. “Having my hooves turned into shrimp was hardly traumatizing. And yet the smell…anyhow, I assume such things are in the past?”

Discord nodded, examining his claws briefly with a huff. “Oh yes. You know, being reformed and all. But I still enjoy my fun; I have been watching you for a time, and simply wanted to finally say hello; Officially of course. Congratulations on your new station and courting the moon by the way. From what I hear, you’ve got a bit of an icy problem to defrost.”

Shifting chuckled, the sound seeming to put Discord a bit more at ease (if such a thing were possible.) “Well, thank you. And it’s nice to meet you outside of the previous encounter,” Shifting replied, continuing to trot onwards as Discord floated alongside him.

“I don’t suppose you can help us with this Windigo problem? It threatens everypony in Equestria, including those in Ponyville. If I recall from the reports, you are rather fond of your friend…s.”

Shifting had read up considerably on Discord; and while the chaotic creature appeared reformed, he still was, well, him. At least the malicious nature seemed to be a thing of the past, especially since a certain yellow Pegasus occupied a portion of his time.

Discord let out a huff, a bit of magical energy spinning around his claws like a snake.

“Oh, har har. Yes, I fully well know this issue threatens Fluttershy, how very subtle of you by the way, but my claws are tied.”

“How so? Last I checked you’re one of the most powerful creatures in Equestria, or the world for that matter.”

“Are you trying to butter me up with flattery?”

“Not flattery if it’s true.”

Discord let out a genuine chuckle, fanning himself with a set of claws. “Oh, Luna picked well. You’re a fun one- but I actually can’t help, not in the way you’d like. If I did, things may be better, or more likely, much worse.”

“How so?”

Discord waved; countless glowing jellybeans now floating in front of Shifting. “Let me try to explain in…non-chaotic terms, as much as I dislike it. Each one of these beans is an event. A single choice affects other events, yes?” he flicked a bean, causing a strand of energy to dart to a dozen more. “Each choice leads to more choices and events, and so on and so forth. Chaos magic loves to mess with that. So, let us say I was to help you against these ghostly creatures, or remove them outright…”

Discord touched a large blue bean; and it promptly withered into a dried husk, the effect spreading among others even as hundreds of beans glowed with strands of energy.

“It may do more harm than good, drastically so. Perhaps it would let a greater threat appear? Maybe it would be a happy-ever-after but incur great cost in a decade? Or maybe it would be all fine and dandy. Chaos being what it is, such help would set off events even I cannot see. And then there’s the whole should I intervene, the same reason Celestia doesn’t. Some of us cannot afford such a limited perspective.”

Shifting blinked, his mind trying to wrap around exactly what Discord was saying. “…So if you helped, you very well might make things worse, and that’s outside the whole ‘being super powerful and meddling with mortals,’ bit? Playing the long-term game, whatever that is?”

Discord banished the bean illusion with a wave of his claws, clapping excitedly. “Oh, you’re quick! That’s nice, I hate it when the mind of a pony breaks and everything I say just flows in one ear and out the other,” sand promptly began to pour from one of Discord’s ears for a time, the draconequus then letting out a snort.

“But in short, yes. Some events I can intervene in; such as to protect my friends and a direct and immediate incident. But a global situation, with so many more outcomes and such? I steer clear of those. There’s chaos, and then there’s just orderly chaos; yuck.”

“Like…a war?”

Discord stared at the pony for a moment, then letting out a rather impressed hum. “Oh, I have underestimated you by far, timeless Commander,” he mused. “That would be correct. Perhaps you, I, and Luna can discuss the effects of cosmic theory sometime? I do have to be off though, and I believe you have a deadly classroom to run.”

Shifting waved to the chaotic creature, levitating a pocket watch out with a nod. “Indeed. Take care Discord, and I’ll ask Luna about that.”

“Ta ta!”

Watching the draconequus literally zoom away on some rather gaudy purple roller-skates, Shifting took a few deep breaths as he resumed his trot towards the training grounds.

“You’re an interesting one, Discord. But at least I don’t have-”

A soft *squish* caught Shifting’s attention, and the pony’s left eye twitched slightly.

“DISCORD! NO. SHRIMPS!”

A cackle was heard in the distance, the seafood-slippers vanishing as the Commander trotted onwards.

Stupid shrimps.


Luna could barely contain the anticipation as a box was teleported into her study, the final package from Shifting having arrived. Her question as to why it took so long was answered by a note taped to the outside.

‘I asked them to delay this for a time- hopefully it’s not too late.

Opening the box, Luna’s brow furrowed on seeing a simple question neatly written on a piece of parchment.

‘Would you accompany me to the upcoming dance event? (If nothing else, for a few songs at the very least.) Just write your answer and tap the box twice; it will teleport back to me.

Your ever-loyal Knight,

-Shifting

Luna quickly retrieved a quill, scrawling her eager reply and tapping the box. As it vanished, the alicorn let out a soft squeal, then composing herself as she got ready for the night court.


‘I’d love to, Shifting.’

The words igniting a warm glow in Shifting’s chest, the stallion then put the small box away, glaring at the thirty or so recruits in front of him, the item having teleported to the Commander moments ago mid-lecture.

“What? Never seen a stallion get a message from his date?” he barked, grinning at the immediate reply.

“SIR, YES SIR.”

“Better. Now then, the reason I have called you all here,” Shifting began, pacing back and forth. Armor weaved itself onto his frame until the Commander was fully clad in his Lunar Knight regalia.

“You all have almost completed your basic guard training, and have only the final test to complete I don’t anticipate any of you failing that. However, our enemy will not wait for you to finish that test, nor gain experience to rise in the ranks. As you may have heard, Princess Luna has elected me to be the new Commander of the Lunar Knights. As such, I would like to look for volunteers for this organization. You would take your final test and immediately begin training further.”

Shifting paused, waiting until the excited murmurs died down, then resuming his back and forth pacing, expression becoming more somber. “Now then. Before anypony volunteers, I must make one thing very clear,” the Commander began, steely gaze drifting from each recruit to the next.

“The Lunar Knights are an organization far above the requirements of the Night Guards. You must be held to those standards at all times. Those include greater physical fitness, psychological stress, and the willingness to use lethal force on a possibly regular basis. While the Night Guards may have to use lethal force, it is strictly as a last resort. The Lunar Knights stand ready to handle the threats the Guard cannot; and that will require you to kill. If you cannot do that, for whatever reason, you put yourself and your squad at risk,” he saw a few ponies averting their gaze at his words, clearly uncomfortable at the last bit.

“This position is not for everypony. Some may feel disgraced if they don’t volunteer. I would argue, and expect, the opposite however. If you know your limits, and do not put your fellow Knights at risk by not applying, I would say that is what an honorable guard would do. There is no shame in not applying; I would argue that it is dishonorable in applying with the knowledge you will have trouble fulfilling the requirements, even after training. For those wishing to volunteer, there is a simple training exercise to gauge a few things that will take place momentarily. Please meet me at the combat training area in ten minutes, for those who wish to apply today. I’ll see about late entrants this coming week, but thought to inform you of this immediate process. Everypony is dismissed.”

As the recruits began to move, Shifting then made them all pause with a final announcement.

“Remember. Only apply if you feel able and willing to do so. If you enter into this training with the idea that peer pressure or the ability to fake it will suffice and push you through, you will fail, and I will make it a point to weed out those who put the entire organization at risk.”

More than a few ears were laid flat as the thestrals dispersed, leaving Shifting to make his way towards the training area.

Harsh, but if they cannot kill…that will lead to nothing but failure. Training ponies to be predators is no easy task. It took me long enough.

As Shifting waited, a warm glow ignited in his chest as a familiar group of thestrals made their way to the training grounds. Leading the dozen or so ponies was Silty Stone, the thestral grinning at Shifting.

“Ready to apply for the Lunar Knights, Commander Sands!” she barked, the unicorn then gesturing towards an empty arena, a few strange blue oblong crystals set along the perimeter of the ropes.

“Very well. Now then, everypony here! This test is one of many preliminary scenarios. These are designed to see how you perform under stress, and make snap-decisions. There will be no redoes for this session, but you can re-apply to the Lunar Knights in one year’s time,” Shifting declared, looking over the dozen thestrals.

“Again, these tests will push you in every aspect of life. This is your only and final warning; the scenarios will be trying, difficult, and fairly disturbing at times. These mimic the dark side of society that you will be called upon to deal with, which the normal guard cannot, or is unwilling to confront. The blows you feel during these tests will be real, but fall short of severe injury of course. If at any time you wish to withdraw, simply say so, and that will be that. There is a reason this process takes place after a training session- to push you to your limits. Do you still wish to proceed, Recruit Silty Stone?”

“Sir, Yes Sir!”

“Then take your place in the arena!”

The thestral trotted into the square area, accepting the long dagger Shifting tossed her way.

Alright Silty, lets see what you are made of!

Activating the training crystals, Shifting let his magic flow through them, the modified training simulations weaving life-like figures into place.

“Recruit Stone! You are patrolling a section of the city, and are temporarily separated from your partner. You hear screams. BEGIN!” he bellowed, two ponies appearing with a flash behind Silty.

“He’s going to kill me!” the magical entity cried, tears streaming from the eyes of a near-perfect energy mannequin, the mare clutching a wide-eyed filly to her chest.

Turning around Silty confronted the assailant; the unicorn stallion giggling like mad, a hoof-strapped dagger in his grasp.

“I just want to talk! Nothing serious, it never is!” the entity remarked in a sing-song tone, eyes then locking onto Silty as he continued to laugh.

“Sir, drop the dagger!” Silty growled, readying her own weapon. “DROP IT!”

“LET’S TALK!” the stallion cackled in reply.

Lunging forward, the entity slashed at Silty with the dagger, crazed eyes wide with a mad sort of energy. The mare dodged the strike, delivering a punch to the pony’s chest- and was then sent reeling as the stallion smacked her armored head with his, letting out another giggle.

“Oh boy! You’re fun! You’ll be fun to talk to!” he called, dancing around Silty to glare at the mare, demeanor abruptly changing as he growled.

Now maybe we can talk? Just a bit? It won’t be long, I promise!” he hissed, about to lunge forward with the weapon before being tackled by Silty. The stallion shook her off, then made a lunge towards the shrieking mare-and then hit the ground as dead weight. Silty yanked the dagger free, the weapon having been buried up to the hilt in the pony’s skull. The mare then kicked the body aside, scanning for more threats.

“Scenario complete,” Shifting remarked, the magical entities vanishing as Silty’s chest heaved.

Interesting. This mare is no stranger to this sort of situation; no hesitation. I wonder…

“Private Stone. Justify your actions,” The Commander instructed, waiting as the mare caught her breath.

“I used verbal commands to try and get the pony to drop the weapon. He was clearly unreasonable and sought to attack the civilians,” Silty replied. “I attempted to restrain him with non-lethal measures, but his final actions did not allow such methods without putting myself or the civilians at risk. Lethal force was therefore used.”

Shifting nodded in approval, gesturing to the arena as he looked at the recruits. “That is the escalation of force in real-time, quite a bit faster than training scenarios, hmm? This is a nearly identical scenario I encountered fifty years ago, by the way. Recruit Stone handled it in a similar manner I did. Had she continued to use non-lethal methods, she would have sustained injury, and the civilians would have as well. If you hesitate to use lethal force, you may put yourself and others at risk. However, use it too early, and you may have very well killed a pony unnecessarily. Every death is one you must live with,” he stated, offering a hoof to Silty, who promptly shook it.

“You have passed the first qualifying test. You are dismissed for the day, Recruit Silty Stone; or you can stay and watch if you prefer.”

As the other ponies ran the tests, each refused to go their way; instead wanting to watch and see how their fellow thestrals did. The second test was another pass; the stallion managing to use non-lethal force appropriately.

The third test however, had Shifting’s ears flatten ever so slightly. On confronting two stallions with swords, the male thestral clearly was unsettled. As the ponies continued to taunt the guard, explaining in all manners of how they’d butcher him, skin the thestral alive, and break each bone one at a time, the thestral dropped his own weapon, head shaking vigorously.

“I withdraw!”

The training images vanished, Shifting simply nodding to the recruit. “Scenario completed. Next!” he called out, acting as though all was normal for the thestral that trotted away, not wanting to bring undue attention to the pony.

No shame in that; better now than later.

“Enemies will use every means to gain the upper hoof, claw, or paw. If they can shake your concentration and will by words alone, they will do so! Do not let them! That said, not everypony can shut it out. Even with centuries of training, I have trouble at times ignoring the sadistic words of some creatures. Now then, let us continue!”

Within an hour, eight ponies stood with Silty; the others having withdrawn or failed to use the appropriate level of force. Shifting nodded to the group, a confident glow in his chest.

“Well done, all of you,” he began. “You have passed the first of many tests; but this was the most telling. Beginning tomorrow, before the dance, you will enter into a few more. You are eligible to take your Night Guard examination early; so if you pass that, and the other qualifying Lunar Knight tests, you’ll begin your training within a few days. Such tests will be reoccurring throughout the training process however, so stay on your hooves. Dismissed!”

As the nine ponies saluted and walked off, Shifting pulled aside Silty for a moment.

“Recruit Stone, I had a question, a yes, no, or ‘none your business,’ will suffice,” Shifting remarked.

“That is not the first time you’ve been in such a lethal situation, is it?”

Silty shook her head, shrugging casually. “A few years ago, some creep drugged or just plain out of his mind decided to crash a party. He got ahold of a kitchen knife, and began to rant and rave, but he never got the chance to act on his words. He tried to lunge at my friend with it, and that’s…about it,” the thestral shrugged her wings. “Part of the reason I joined the guard actually. That was the first time I saw the real evil that was out there. I could either be like the ponies who were frozen in fear, or I could help. Obviously, I chose the latter.”

Letting out a hum, Shifting nodded at her words. “Well, I’m glad everything turned out well in the end. Such events never really leave you; all we can do is move forward or backwards. I’m glad to see it has done the former for you.”

Silty saluted, shooting Shifting a fang-filled smile as she trotted off back to her compatriots.

That makes a bit more sense; and I hope your friends are as determined as you, Recruit Stone. We need more ponies who act nowadays.


*One Day Later*

“Oh, I hope Luna likes all of this…” Shifting muttered, looking at himself in a hallway mirror. The dance was in but an hour; and hopefully everything was set. Clad in his simple Lunar Knight breastplate and greaves, Shifting had two small faux-leather side satchels on as well- the only contents being a few small wooden boxes placed inside of each.

“Oh, I think she’ll love it,” A familiar tone rang out, Celestia walking over to look at the Commander.

“I have to say, the request to involve the Thestrals was a very interesting one, and kind at that. I only hope the nobility is willing to be as open minded as others,” Celestia mused. “And the theme…I do think Luna will be quite surprised.”

“She doesn’t know?” Shifting asked, prompting a sly chuckle.

“Nope. I’ve kept her in the dark. All she knows is that it’s a dance, a ‘normal’ noble event. She has no idea.”

“Thank you, Celestia. Truly, this- I just hope it will make her happy.”

“Shifting, I don’t think she’ll be able to frown for a week after this. And when it comes to making my sister happy, I’m more than willing to help. I’ll see you there.”


Luna blinked in surprise as she neared the dance venue; set up in an indoor/outdoor space of the Canterlot royal gardens. Her sister had been strangely mum on the specifics of the dance, but Luna could hardly blame her. Such events were taxing and not terribly fun to think about at times…

“Hey, Luna!” Shifting called out, trotting over with a smile. “I think things are about to get started!”

About to reply, Luna was then distracted by a few ponies trotting inside wearing…something. She wasn’t entirely sure what it was; but it involved glitter and some rather flashy half-forelimb length latex…stockings?

“Erm, Shifting?” she asked, trotting next to her date towards the entrance, seeing a few royal guards posted for special assignment. “Why exactly were those ponies dressed like that?”

“Oh. That’s because of the theme, or themes at least,” the Knight remarked casually, prompting a stare.

“Themes? Nopony ever told me about a theme.”

“Of course not. That’d ruin the surprise.”

“Surprise of…..” Luna’s words trailed off as they entered the main half-ballroom, her jaw dropping in utter shock. To their left and right, food tables were set up where nobles, thestrals, and even occasional random Canterlot residents browsed. In the center however, were two large open spaces, set in front of a wooden DJ-stage that was crowded with all sorts of paraphernalia, and some rather large speakers.

Hanging over one of the dancing areas, was a massive disco ball; which seemed perfectly in place with the odd mis-match of styles that dotted the attendants. Poofy and loose garments, flashy necklaces; the styles seemed to span a few decades.

“It’s not really a disco theme at least, but around that era. Pop, disco, new rock, all that sort of thing,” Shifting mused, gesturing around. “I’m glad to see the Thestrals are mingling with the nobles- that was a main worry. I guess they’re somewhat of a novelty.”

“Shifting, I…”

The Commander paused, looking over to the shocked princess with a confident grin, but that wavered ever so slightly.

“Do, you like it?”

The ramification of Shifting’s words seemed to hit Luna like a train, the alicorn’s eyes widening.

“Is this- was this all for me?”

Shifting shook his head, but then paused and shrugged with a nod. “Yes and no? There was going to be a dance anyways. But I wanted to make it special for you, so in that sense, yes. Specifically, I wanted it to bring together everycreature in an event that showcased that which most ponies associate with you. Your sister was all for it too. I’m was miffed that Thestrals still had the reputation of being seen as scary and shunned, so they needed to attend of course, and the increasing knowledge of your liking of disco and pop was taken into account. That was a bit of a gamble, because you had only mentioned it once or twi-”

The stallion was quickly silenced as a very brief but tender kiss was planted on his lips, Luna blushing as her eyes continued to water.

“Shifting, I love it,” she whispered, nudging his shoulder. “As I hope I made clear. Shall we?”

“Bwa?”

One of the Commander’s ears twitched, the stallion finally shaking out of his surprised stupor as he walked, stumbling once.

“Just to be clear. You kissed me?”

“Mmmhmm.”

“I- erm...” Shifting stammered, a slight blush on his cheeks dawning as his heart thudded in his ears. “Of the things I was expecting that was not one of them. I’d say that was much better though.”

As they walked towards where Celestia sat, Shifting couldn’t resist leaning over to Luna, whispering briefly in her ear.

“After the dance, I do hope I can sample such a delicacy again!”

The maroon color on the Alicorn’s cheeks made Shifting cackle, the knight grinning at her. “Don’t tell me you didn’t see that coming!”

“I want to disagree, but I cannot.”

“Then, my Princess, shall we enjoy the dance? I do believe the music is about to start!”


The first few songs were a mix; the customary slow dances that were popular with such gatherings being played by an orchestra that filed in. But that quickly changed as the music shifted to the DJ, faster songs piping through the speakers. Ponies twirled this way and that, the atmosphere generally peppy. Shifting watched the proceedings with Luna and Celestia; his eyes flickering over the crowd. It was a positive vibe, and yet something was off…

It then hit him as another dance started up;

While a few thestrals danced, the majority were off to the side, seeming to be a bit uncomfortable in the spotlight. He didn’t blame them for that; this was one of the few events they had been specifically invited to.

Shifting grinned, knowing it was time for ‘Pop Plan One; Ice Breaker.’ “Princesses? Please open these on the commencement of the next song,” Shifting instructed, levitating the two small boxes over to Celestia and Luna respectively, the pair looking at him curiously.

“Shifting, what are you planning?” Luna asked, the stallion floating a small note over to the DJ.

“Merriment and joy. Nothing less,” he remarked, the DJ repeating the intro for new song now. As the newer music thudded out over the floor. a few ponies formed a line for the dance; the knowledge of the steps being near common knowledge to anycreature who liked such types of dances.

--Music Begins--*click*

Shifting grinned as Luna’s hoof immediately began to tap with the beat, the stallion then standing and bowing.

“Don’t suppose you’ll join me on the line?” he asked, levitating a crystal out of his satchel and tapping it with a hoof.

For the second time that night, Luna’s jaw dropped as her date trotted out onto the dance floor. Magic swirled around his frame, armor being replaced with a sparkling white suit and matching half-cape, red highlights drawing quite a few eyes in the room. His greaves were even changed, sparkling with faux diamonds set into the white silk.

As the main song began to play, Shifting took his place on the line, and saw a thestral colt tapping his hooves to the beat off to the side, the youngster still staying close to his parents.

Catching the eye of the older thestrals, Shifting nodded, gesturing to the colt with a smile. The youngster looked to his parents curiously, the pair’s expressions brightening as they nodded towards the Commander encouragingly. Trotting out to take a place at Shifting’s side, the colt was all smiles as the steps began, not feeling as alone with the Commander at his side.

Having practiced the dance dozens of times, Shifting had a carefree grin plastered on his face as he moved in time with everypony else; not caring at the astonished glances shot his way as the Commander of the Lunar Knights danced.


As soon as Luna recovered from her shock, she levitated the box over and opened it, her date surprising her for the third time that evening. Sitting on a small velvet cushion, a small crystal sat with a simple note.

‘For disco attire, tap twice.’

Halfway through the first set of moves, Luna couldn’t take it anymore. Tapping the crystal, the Alicorn let out a giggle as magic swirled over her body. Flashy forelimb bands snapped into existence, teal and pinks standing out against her dark blue fur. Her mane billowed and poofed, becoming similar to the style she tried on her day off with Celestia. Trotting out with a laugh, the Princess took a place on the other side of Shifting, attracting even more astonished gazes.

More than a few jaws dropped further as Celestia tapped her crystal, a similar attire dawning on her frame. The mare calmly looked over to some gaping nobles and shrugged, walking out to take a place at the back of the line with a carefree smile. She was quickly joined by a familiar pair; Fancy Pants and Fleur-de-lis taking a place in the line.

As Luna and Shifting ran through the dance again, the song smoothly looping halfway as more ponies joined the line, the Lunar Princess could only smile. Thestrals and nobles mingled during the dance; boundaries eliminated by a silly but fun exercise. Smiles spread around the room, the majority of ponies joined in, even if they only knew a few steps here and there.

Is this what you wanted Shifting, to show me that we’re all in this together?

Her question seemed to answer itself as Shifting’s eyes met hers ever so briefly. The stallion winked, smoothly spinning into the next set of moves.

You continue to amaze me, my Knight.

*End Music*

As the song ended, everypony was left panting and trying to catch their breath. Returning to their seats, Shifting, Celestia and Luna still stayed in their attire; the Lunar Princess looking over to her Commander.

“Shifting, that was incredible!” she exclaimed, clopping her hooves together. “And this spell! It’s fantastic! Oh, and Sister! You look great!”

Shifting bobbed his head happily to the tune that started up now, a few recovered couples dancing to the slightly-slower song.

“I’m just happy everypony had fun, you included. I do believe there are some slow songs coming up, and I’d love to have a dance or two.”

“…only if you keep wearing that attire. You look incredible,” Luna replied, the rather long gaze directed towards Shifting bringing a blush to both her and his cheeks.


Another wink was her answer, Shifting then turning his attention to the dance floor. After two more medium-paced songs, a slower tune then beginning. Offering a hoof to Luna, Shifting led her to the dance floor as the Princess clearly tried to restrain a wide grin. The slight size difference wasn’t terribly important, Shifting easily adjusting a hoof.

“Thank you, Shifting,” Luna whispered as the stallion guided her through the slower waltz. “This means a great deal more than I think you realize.”

Shifting’s expression softened, his eyes meeting Luna’s briefly. “Luna, I might be one of the few who does have an inkling of how much it means. Maybe not all, but I can imagine. And you are most welcome of course.”

Luna couldn’t hold back a slight sniff, only able to nod.

“I really wouldn’t mind some more times like this too. I know slow dances aren’t on the same level of enjoyment as others for you; but still…”

“I’d like that,” Luna replied, trying to not turn to total putty as Shifting led her through a simple yet impeccable waltz step.

As the dance concluded, they bowed formally to each other, Shifting then gesturing to a side exit.

“May we…?”

Luna nodded, Shifting trotting along at her side. Only once they were in a small secluded area of the garden did the stallion sit down, hoof nervously tapping the cobblestones briefly. The fresh moon cast peaceful shadows among the tall hedges that surrounded them, and the soft sounds of nocturnal birds reached their ears, the inhabitants of the garden slowly coming to wakefulness.

“I just-Luna, there is something I’d like to ask,” he said softly, gentle gaze meeting hers. “Perhaps it’s just formality at this point, but I was wondering if being my marefriend was something that you’d like to, well, be? Erm,” his words trailed off, the stallion letting out a chuckle. “Clearly age doesn’t eliminate jitters.”

“I…” Luna opened her mouth, then closing it as she nodded, wanting to give some sort of answer even if not able to speak.

“Shifting, I’ve honestly considered us such an item ever since we started dating regularly, as I thought was customary. I…enjoy the thought of an official title though. So, yes, if that wasn’t clear.”

Shifting laughed, filled with relief and happiness as he hopped up and down twice, then settling down to trot a bit close to Luna. Pausing in front of her, the stallion placed a hoof gently under her chin, the Alicorn smiling as Shifting brought her into a tender kiss.

“I did say I’d like to enjoy that a bit more,” Shifting whispered, prompting a giggle.

“Indeed, you did.”

Taking Luna’s hoof in his, Shifting’s ears flicked in thought, the stallion letting out a sigh. “Luna, much of this is new territory for me, and for you, as you’ve said. I guess I’m trying to say that I look forward to seeing how it all goes with you. In two different senses at least, us, and being there for each other.”

Luna nodded, giving Shifting’s hoof a squeeze. “I very much look forward to the same, my Knight. Now, shall we return to the dance floor?”

“Indeed, I think we shall, my Princess.”


Far from the festivities, a group of ponies was gathered on a bare rocky outcropping, the expanse jutting out from the mountainside far above Canterlot. The eyes of a shimmering blue mare narrowed as a panting pony paused in front of her, his horn still sparking from a teleportation spell.

“Report.” she hissed, a dozen armored ponies behind her standing in respect at the sound of her voice.

“Princess Sparkle is visiting at the end of next week. I have the schedule of when she leaves the guards’ company and wanders Canterlot before ending up at the train station,” the dark green pony panted, the icy gaze of the mare boring into his soul.

“You have done well. Get food and rest. We move then,” the mare growled, ears flicking as a pony behind her let out a hum.

“Princess Sparkle? Really? We’re going after her? Are you sure that’s-”

The mare sighed, the sound immediately silencing the question. She trotted up to the armored stallion in question with an impassive gaze. She then looked over to her left; everpony present wincing.

“If you wish to question my motives, or rather, our masters, feel free to do so. The answer will be the same that I gave your disruptive friend.”

The mercenary shook his head; everypony’s eyes drifting to a frozen figure in the corner of the rocky expanse. The two shocked eyes of an earth pony stallion were frozen in time; an icicle protruding from the individual’s skull.

“We move next week. Alert the others.”

Author's Note:

DISCO LUNA RETURNS! HUZZAH!
(and has anyone else done the line dance to that song? Totally fun.)

Sorry for the late chapter everyone; but here we go! Progress with training and the return of disco Luna! And a bit of progression from our two. Isn't this new? A normal(ish) relationship between two adults....huh.

...And uh oh. That went from zero to a hundred in about a second!
Stay tuned for the finale!