• Published 22nd Feb 2019
  • 2,369 Views, 130 Comments

Lunar Rebellion: The Golden Path - Chengar Qordath



When Celestia has to temporarily leave Equestria, she names Sunbeam Sparkle as her regent. Will Sunbeam be up to the challenge, especially when an unscrupulous foe tries to take advantage of Celestia's absence?

  • ...
5
 130
 2,369

The Golden Path 3

To say that I was displeased to learn that we would shortly have to play host to one of the Golden Path’s so-called gods would be a gross understatement. My choler was up, and as soon as I left the public eye I was quick to vent my spleen. Thankfully only Shadow and my daughter were there to hear it, and both of them were accustomed to facing me in a wroth mood. My tower had more than enough defenses to keep away anyone with an unhealthy degree of curiosity, especially within my more modestly appointed and heavily defended private quarters rather than the luxurious but less secure rooms I used to receive less trusted guests. Or to be more precise, guests who were not Shadow or Celestia.

With our privacy ensured, I could finally speak my mind. “Damnation! Bad enough we must endure Silver’s simpering obsequiousness, but now we must see him grovel before one of the abominations he worships! Doubtless it will expect us to show it the same mindless obedience it enjoys from its followers. Why could it not just remain rotting in Freeport where ‘twould be much easier to pretend it does not exist?!”

Shadow, as was her custom, weathered mine anger stoically. Once ‘twas plain I had said all I intended, she offered her own thoughts. “I am curious to know why this Lord Veritanu has come all the way to Equestria for what seems a relatively trifling matter. A bit of relatively petty smuggling and a tax dispute hardly seems worth the trouble of spending weeks away from Freeport.” She frowned and tapped at the floor a few times. “In Pegasopolis, we had a saying: ‘Opponents always move in ways that make sense to them.’”

‘Twas not difficult to grasp the point she drove at. “So if his actions make no sense to us, then it must be on account of him knowing something that we do not or else not knowing something that we do.” I scowled and shook my head. “Or the twisted abominations that call themselves gods are utterly mad, and driven by whims beyond our comprehension.”

“Yet e’en in madness there may be a method to it,” Midnight spoke up. “If this mad creature hears voices in its head demanding one day that it capture a dozen innocents, flay them alive, and then wear their skins as a cloak whilst bathing their blood, it will do so. ‘Twill also seek to placate the voices within its shattered mind if they demand it pick wildflowers.” She blinked, her eyelids moving slowly and out of synch with one another. “There is still a kind of logic to its actions. The creature merely acts upon perceived facts that none but itself see as real.” She cocked her head to the side. “Perhaps if we heard the same voices within the privacy of our own minds, we would act much the same.”

I snorted. “If thou dost e’er hear a voice other than thine own within the privacy of thy mind, I expect thee to have the good sense to ignore it.”

My daughter stared at me for several seconds, then slowly nodded. “I see. I shall do my best to remember that.”

“See that thou dost.” Were I any other mother raising any other daughter, I might have assumed the entire exchange had been a bit of tongue-in-cheek wit. Considering my daughter’s history and considerable eccentricities, it seemed entirely too likely she would need to take that advice quite literally at some point. Not that Midnight ever took things any other way.

I had hoped that Midnight might fall silent now that I had answered her first interruption, but she spoke up once more. “You have often said that the key to manipulating others rests in a firm understanding of what it is they desire. If that is so, then would it not be prudent to find out what is is that this Lord Veritanu wants?”

“Aye, ‘twould.” Shadow idly patted her head. “The obvious answer would be that he wants his ship and cargo back, but that hardly seems a prize worthy of the time and trouble of a personal visit to Equestria. The cost of making the trip and abandoning his interests in Freeport would likely be higher than the value of a single vessel.”

“Aye, there is some hidden agenda here.” I scowled down at the floor. “Which is the problem with thy suggestion, my child: we do not know what he wants. That makes him far more dangerous, and his actions harder to predict.”

“Perhaps the cargo is not so mundane as it might appear?” Shadow suggested.

“A possibility worth investigating,” I agreed. “I will—” I hesitated a moment. Under other circumstances I might take the lead in such an investigation. ‘Twas perhaps a small measure below my station, but ‘twas far from unusual for an Archmagus to do a bit of field work. The matter was plainly important to Equestria’s security given Veritanu’s involvement, and an Archmagus might uncover things that ordinary investigators would miss.

However, I was no longer an Archmagus; I was the regent. Rulers do not have the luxury of abandoning their post. Veritanu might be a threat, but he was one of many problems that assailed the realm. If I focused all my time and attention on him a dozen new problems may arise in my absence, and every other matter needing the crown’s attention would fester like an untended wound. While an Archmagus could handle things personally, a ruler often had no choice but to delegate such things to her subordinates.

And so, Sunbeam the Regent answered. “I will have one of our better magi look into the matter. Morning Star, mayhaps.” If there were any hidden enchantments upon the captured weapons, Morning would surely find them as well as I could. Mayhaps e’en a touch better, given her more frequent experience in such matters.

My daughter frowned, her head slowly tilting to the side. “You are sending Morning Star away? Will this mean I cannot continue my lessons with her?”

Of course the minor inconvenience to herself would be Midnight’s primary concern. “No more than a temporary disruption, my child. Her duties to the crown must take precedence over her duties as thy tutor.”

“I see.” Midnight stared at me unblinkingly. “Will you be teaching me yourself, then?”

I sighed and shook my head. “I could not always spare the time when I was Vizier, let alone now that I am regent.”

“Ah.” My daughter’s moods were hard to read, but in this case her disappointment was plain.

“However,” I cut in ere she could lapse into sullen silence, “we have much more important lessons to cover regardless. Thy time with me in court takes precedence o’er magical training, regardless of whether Morning is here or not. ‘Twould be foolish to squander the chance to train thee in the higher arts of leadership.”

“So I am to spend the majority of my time every day with you, watching and learning by your example?” Midnight queried.

“Precisely.”

One of my daughter’s unique smiles appeared. “Very well then, Mother. I shall study most carefully during our lessons.”

Shadow smiled and chuckled softly. “Have a care, Sunbeam. You have seen how voraciously she can study when she sets her mind to it. She might learn enough to replace thee someday.”

“I should hope so. Is that not the natural order of things?” I scoffed and shook my head. “Unlike our queen, I shall not live eternal. Somepony must carry on my legacy once I am naught but dust.” I gave my daughter an idle pat on the back. “Though if she could eclipse me in time to uncover what Veritanu seeks, ‘twould be much appreciated.”

My daughter nodded gravely, an expression of utmost serious determination on her face. “I shall endeavour to uncover his darkest secrets, Mother.”

I should have known Midnight would take my idle remark with utmost seriousness. No matter, so long as she did not get any especially curious notions in her head. “No need for direct action, my child. We have others to see to such matters.”

“Indeed we do,” Shadow agreed. “I shall put Gale to the matter at once.” A frown tugged at her lips. “Though there is one matter I did not need my daughter’s insight to spot: the Commander feared that Silver would be offended by her absence. While I expected him to be as sickeningly obsequious as he always is, he seemed all the more eager to have his master visit once he learned that Celestia will not be here to meet him.”

I grimaced and nodded. “Aye, he does not seem nearly so perturbed as one would expect. I have dealt with no shortage of lesser officials who were offended to learn that Her Majesty would not hear their claims, yet now a foreign leader seems e’en more eager.”

Shadow scowled. “I daresay he sees an opportunity.”

“Mayhaps. Conventional wisdom is that any monarchy in the midst of a regency is vulnerable to threats from within and without.” I took a seat, idly tapping the table in front of me. Simple hardwood, not nearly so grand as one would expect from the most powerful mare in Equestria, but far more practical. “I feel I should be offended by the implication that Equestria is weaker under my rule, but how the masses perceive things need not be aligned with reality. And all too often a perception of weakness can create it in fact.” I sighed and shook my head. “While I might be an equally effective or even superior ruler in some regards, Celestia the immortal and powerful alicorn holds a number of advantages o’er Sunbeam the mere mortal magus. Especially given the beliefs of the Golden Path.”

Shadow grunted. “Certainly a being that fancies itself a peer to Celestia will see you as its lesser. Which begs the question of what they will do.” Her eyes narrowed. “Dost thou think they would invade Equestria?”

I scoffed. “With what? Thou art a better general than I, but e’en I know that Freeport cannot hope to equal our numbers on the battlefield, let alone the time needed to organize, muster, and supply such an invasion force. Especially one that must cross a thousand miles of ocean to reach our shores. Celestia would return well before they could prepare if they started now, and if they had already begun our spies could not have missed it.”

“Aye, e’en if they could somehow manage to take territory, they could ne’er hope to hold it.” Shadow paced back and forth across my modest carpets. “Something swifter then, more quickly prepared and with a much more limited objective. A raid, mayhaps? They could find no shortage of plunder and slaves in Manehattan, and leave ere we could muster a full response.”

I thought it over. “A raid would make more sense, but still seems a rather large risk compared to the rewards they could expect to reap. I am sure you would insist upon a swift and brutal reprisal at once, and I would firmly agree with you. E’en if Her Majesty wished for a more peaceful solution, which I think unlikely, the two of us would prevail upon her to punish the Golden Path brutally for daring to strike at us.”

Shadow nodded grimly. “Aye, but that might be more easily proposed than done. The same ocean that makes it hard for them to invade us would hinder our own reprisal, and both Gryphonia and Zebrica would object to us gaining ground within Freeport and disrupting the balance of power.”

“Aye, naturally annexation or setting up a puppet ruler would be unacceptable.” A cold smile worked its way onto my lips. “Sacking the city and burning down the palaces of all their false gods before stringing their corpses up along the docks for the sport of the gulls? That is an entirely reasonable response.”

“That would send a most powerful message,” Midnight agreed. “The bodies of the perfidious beings that dared to imagine themselves gods on public display so that none could enter the harbor without first seeing the gruesome fate that would befall all who dare to make an enemy of Equestria. Sailors, pirates, and merchants the world over will tremble when they pass beneath the slowly rotting corpses, watching as the ocean birds gorge themselves upon the slowly rotting flesh of our enemies, and fish swarm beneath them eager to devour the few morsels that slip past the birds’ beaks.” She slowly nodded to herself. “I cannot think of a better message to send to all who would dare strike against us.”

Shadow stared at my daughter askance, then shook her head. “Still, there are times she manages to surprise me.” She cleared her throat. “If not an attack, then what could this Veritanu hope to accomplish?”

“If we knew the answer to that, this conversation would be over,” I groused.

My daughter had been in deep thought judging by the faint grimace she had worn for the last few minutes. My child was eccentric, but I had learned to read most of her odder moods. When she finally spoke, ‘twas plain she had found a solution to whate’er problem vexed her. “Have you not called the gods of the Golden Path abominations, Mother?”

“Aye, for that is what they are,” I confirmed.

She nodded to herself. “Did not Her Majesty leave to destroy other abominations, namely the Blightspawn of the Northern March? It seems like a rather concerning pattern that abominations are so active of late.”

Shadow frowned and shook her head. “It seems far more likely ‘tis merely be coincidence. Not everything is connected. The Blightspawn are little more than wild beasts, a far cry from the false gods of Freeport.”

“Aye, collaboration ‘tween the two seems unlikely.” No sooner had I dismissed my daughter’s suggestion than a new possibility emerged. “Although ... the bodies used by the Golden Path’s false gods are plainly unnatural, and Blackfyre is the inventor of such fleshcraft. And he has the intelligence to arrange such a thing and would certainly stand to gain from creating a force like the Golden Path.” I scowled and shook my head. “Though how he could have possibly arranged such a thing when he has been long imprisoned and carefully watched, I cannot imagine.”

“Such would strike me as difficult to arrange,” Shadow agreed. “The seeds of the Golden Path were planted centuries ago, and I suspect that if this was some plan of his he would have struck while we were in the midst of a civil war, not three years after ‘twas settled.”

“Aye, we were far weaker then.” I sighed and shook my head. “Far more likely the Blightspawn in the North and Freeport’s latest machinations are wholly unrelated.”

Despite my confident words, my rest that night would be uneasy.


Veritanu arrived a week later. Unusually fast, considering the distance ‘tween Freeport and Canterlot, so the false god was either well en route before telling us of his plans or possessed some means of travelling faster than should be possible. News of his arrival seemed to have preceded him, and the royal court was far more crowded than usual. Small surprise the many nobles, officials, and leeches of Canterlot were eager to lay eyes upon such a mysterious and exotic guest as one of Freeport’s gods.

The throne seemed to fit me especially poorly today. Much as I grasped the symbolic importance of occupying the vacant throne, the unavoidable fact was that its normal occupant was a much larger mare. I had yet to find a fully comfortable way to set myself that still looked appropriately dignified. I had been halfway tempted to give in to the lurking absurdity of Canterlot and dress myself in especially massive and elaborate costumes to better fill out the throne. I suspect that e’en if I had, the effect would be somewhat less impressive than desired.

As if the idle thought conjured him into being, Silver Tithe strode into the room dressed up in a particularly elaborate and atrocious costume. Whatever tailor was responsible for it ought to be strung up for wasting such valuable materials on such a poorly designed outfit. I was far from an expert in fashion, but I was not blind. ‘Twas plain enough that such asymmetry in jarring colors was unpleasant to look upon.

Perched dutifully by the side of the throne, my daughter frowned at him and cocked her head to the side. “His choice of clothing is ... curious.”

Judging by the proud smile on his lips, Silver was quite unaware of how much his choice of clothing offended mine eyes. “Regent, always delightful to see you again. Especially on such an auspicious day.”

With considerable effort, I managed to compose my face into something resembling a welcoming smile. A regent must play her part in the coming farce. “Ambassador, what causes thee to grace our court once again?”

Silver matched my false smile with one that seemed twice as wide and half as genuine. “Regent, it is with considerable delight that I announce the arrival of the great god Lord Veritanu within Canterlot. He will be gracing you all with his presence shortly, and eagerly awaits the chance to resolve this minor misunderstanding that has delayed his efforts to reclaim his rightful property.” He cleared his throat. “I would say more, but I would not dare presume to speak for the gods.”

He turned to face the doors, bowing so low that it was all but groveling. All other eyes turned to the doors as they slowly opened, and the fabled Lord Veritanu strode in. The first thing that struck me about the creature was his sheer size, on par with Celestia herself. Unlike her he was a mere pegasus, though the strange transformations wrought upon him included a pair of bull-like horns in imitation of her natural one. The aura of power that surrounded him also felt far less gentle and benevolent than hers, akin to being clubbed o’er the head with his supposed superiority where Celestia rarely let it show.

As the false god strode into the hall he let his golden eyes sweep o’er the crowd, a hint of poorly concealed contempt within them. However, a moment later my eyes spotted something far more interesting than the massive false god in his bright white robes and golden armor: several smaller figures, clad in brightly burnished steel plate.

Shadow espied them as well, a frown tugging at her lips. “‘Twould seem that some of the wayward Chargers have returned.”

“Aye, and in violation of our laws.” The exiles openly wore their clan symbols, banned since the end of the war and the disbandment of their clan. ‘Twas irksome to see our laws flouted, but not worth causing a diplomatic incident o’er. Especially when it might well have been a deliberate provocation on Veritanu’s part.

Shadow looked the former traitors o’er, then leaned over for a quick whispered conversation with her daughter. She then dutifully relayed the information Gale had provided her. “Mors leads them. He was a sergeant during the war, but his squad deserted in the later part of the siege. He is one of the more prominent figures within the exiled Chargers.”

“I see.” So a deserter rather than an exile? That seemed like information I could make use of, though I was not sure how.

Such concerns quickly faded from my mind when Veritanu cleared his throat, sparing an irritated glance for the ponies gathered up at court. Silver stepped forward. “It is customary for mortals to bow in the presence of a god.”

I restrained the urge to utter the first half-dozen less than diplomatic responses that sprang to mind. “Freeport’s customs are not ours. We did not intend to show your master less respect than was his due.”

Silver smiled hopefully, looking around the room. Apparently he thought that everyone would start bowing now that he had explained the rules. He was wrong. Once it was clear none of the ponies would bow to his abomination he sighed and shook his head. “You make me sad.”

Veritanu finally spoke, his voice a deep rumble that sent shivers down my spine. “Do not judge them too harshly, Silver. They are like children, left uneducated by their own goddess. Perhaps in time they will learn.”

Mayhaps I had gone too far in diplomacy. Celestia would ask me to seek peace, but I would not stoop to accepting insults to myself or Equestria. “I assure you, our education is quite sufficient on when to and not to bow. There is only one pony in Equestria that we bow to, and you are not her. You are guests in Equestria, and we ask that you respect our ways.”

Veritanu’s eyes fixed themselves upon me as he slowly marched towards the throne. “You say that you only bow to one pony. Very well; I am no mere pony. Thou shouldst acknowledge thy betters and show them the respect they deserve.”

I refused to give an inch. “Indeed I should, and will do so when I meet them.”

For a moment I wondered if the false god would opt for a confrontation then and there, but Silver hastily stepped forward with an insincere smile and a nervous chuckle. “I am sure we can excuse a few minor lapses in protocol in the name of diplomacy. No insults were intended.”

The corners of my mouth twitched up into a smile as false as Silver’s and as pleasant to look upon as my daughter’s. “Aye, we both wish for friendly relations between our respective nations. I see no reason to sour this meeting o’er a minor point of protocol.”

Veritanu took another step forward, so he was halfway onto the dais and physically towering o’er me. Doubtless he expected his sheer physical presence to make me flinch. If he thought that would work, he plainly had not done any research on the mare he faced. When I refused to back down he snorted softly. “Quite. There is no need for discord here. I expect my property returned, and a full apology. Grant me that, and the matter will be settled.”

Tempting as it might be to push back and send the false god home with nothing, Shadow and I had decided on a different course. Celestia’s desire for peace at any reasonable cost was often irksome, but as her regent I should carry out here will. “Your ship and any property not seized as contraband will be returned to you once any outstanding fines and fees are paid. Hopefully this will resolve the misunderstanding between our nations.”

Veritanu scowled down at me. “You hold my rightful property to ransom, refuse to return all that is mine e’en if I should pay, and offer no apology?”

I sat up as straight as I could within Celestia’s o’ersized throne. “Your ship’s captain violated our laws by smuggling contraband goods into one of our ports. I would be within my rights to have the ship and all its cargo seized and auctioned off to the highest bidder. Your agents violated our laws. If there is anyone here who should apologize...”

“Gods do not apologize to mere mortals.” Veritanu growled. “Nor are they subject to the laws that bind those beneath them.”

I smirked. “Not e’en the laws made by another deity? You do refer to Queen Celestia as such, so I would think you would respect her laws. I assure you, our current customs regulations were signed law by Her Majesty.”

Veritanu’s voice dropped down to a dangerous whisper. “Thou art insolent. ‘Tis a wonder thy goddess does not smite thee for it.”

I shrugged. “She seems to find it quite charming, else she would not have named me as her regent. Do not think that I will bend to your will just because I am mortal.”

Veritanu snorted, and his voice returned to its full volume. “So there is no confusion on the matter, do you refuse to return what is rightfully mine, or to apologize for the theft of divine property carried out by Equestria’s agents?”

I cast a quick spell, granting myself just a touch of the Traditional Royal Canterlot Voice to make my point all the stronger. “As I said, once our investigation is finished and any outstanding fines or fees are paid your property will be returned.” I could not resist the urge to sink in one final barb. “But as a reportedly omniscient god, I am sure you already know that.”

Veritanu’s head snapped back in shock. ‘Twould seem the false god who demanded slavish obedience from his slaves was not accustomed to being disrespected. “This is not over. You will regret your insolence.” He whirled on the spot, storming toward the exit before Silver could even try to come up with some new attempt to slime his way into our good graces.

As the abomination fled, I murmured one last parting shot at his back. “We will see who regrets their actions this day, beast that thinks itself a god.”


That evening Shadow asked me to join her at her clan’s compound, with utmost discretion. I drew the natural conclusions any mare would from such a request, and devoted some time to my appearance while providing Midnight with a new book to ensure she would be suitably occupied for the rest of the evening. I left instructions with the castle staff to ensure she would be properly prepared to join me at Court in the morning. Hopefully they would not let her indulge too many of her odd impulses in the realms of fashion. While my daughter’s eccentricities were hardly a secret, it would not do to have them on public display for all Canterlot to gawk at.

The journey to the Kicker Clan compound was simple enough. A few spells sufficed to mask my presence from any curious passers-by who might wonder what the Regent was doing out at such a late hour. Not that Shadow and I had e’er gone to great pains to hide our occasional liaisons, but we both exercised the reasonable degree of discretion expected from mares of our age and standing. We were hardly a pair of young fools who could go gallivanting about in public.

While passing through Canterlot itself unnoticed was relatively simple, the Kicker clan compound was another matter. Not that my spells were incapable of fooling many of their number, but alert soldiers were far harder targets and there were trained warlock hunters within the clan. If they saw a figure skulking about under heavy magical concealment they might well assume ‘twas something far more dangerous than a mare seeking a night’s pleasure. Thus, I restricted myself to simpler, less concealing spells. Any guards skilled enough to pierce such illusions would quickly grasp my intentions and set about willfully blinding themselves far more effectively than any spell I could manage.

Soon enough I arrived at the entrance to Shadow’s private quarters. There were no guards outside her door; obviously they had already been dismissed in the interest of discretion. Pity I could not simply translocate myself into her quarters, but she had not built a fire for the night. E’en if she had, after how disastrously my first teleportation into her private quarters had ended I saw no reason to repeat the experience. Far safer to simply walk up and knock on her front door.

Shadow opened it a moment later, quickly ushering me in. “Good, thou didst receive my message. Gale will have...” She trailed off uncertainly as I shed my travel cloak to let her have a look at mine efforts. I had certainly gone to no small trouble to appear appropriately ravishing for the occasion, so it only seemed appropriate to ask her to admire mine efforts.

Shadow stared at me for several seconds, then coughed and cleared her throat. I had the rare treat of seeing her cheeks flush, and a hint of awkward embarrassing slip into her stance. “It ... would seem there was a miscommunication about the nature of this meeting.”

I turned to her with a raised eyebrow. “It seemed quite clear to me. ‘Meet me in my private quarters tonight. Employ utmost discretion.’ What meaning didst thou expect thy lover would take from such a message?”

Shadow remained silent for several seconds ere she answered. “In hindsight, perhaps I failed to include some necessary details.”

“Clearly.” I crossed my forelegs o’er my chest and glowered at her. My erstwhile lover had already seemed quite chastened, but not enough for my liking. Once my displeasure had been suitably conveyed, I moved on. “Why am I here then?”

Shadow seemed entirely too eager to move on from her blunder. “Gale arranged a meeting with an important information source regarding Veritanu’s arrival in Canterlot, and his likely intentions and desires.”

“Ah.” I briefly considered mine own appearance in the mirror. “I am not dressed appropriately for such a meeting.” I breezed past her, deeper into her quarters. “Thankfully, I thought ahead and prepared for such eventualities. I do hope thou wert not so foolish as to remove my materials from thy washroom.”

“And risk thy wrath for doing so?” Shadow shot back dryly. “I have already earned enough of thine ire as it stands.”

“Too right thou hast.” I stepped into the washroom and quickly set to correcting my appearance, once more becoming The Regent rather than a mare prepared for a far more relaxing and pleasurable evening.

Shadow wisely left me to work, save for finding an old dress I had left behind on a prior evening and laying it out for me. Had she done more I likely would have vented my ire at her. Not that her absence made me any happier, but absent a target to unleash my anger against it gradually faded away as more important matters took the fore. Though she was a fool if she thought the matter entirely forgotten just because ‘twas no longer at the forefront of my mind.

Thankfully, I had succeeded in making myself reasonably presentable by the time Shadow’s daughter arrived with her guest. Much like myself the guest had come hooded and cloaked, though doubtless they had far different expectations on how this meeting would go. Gale’s eyes quickly flicked o’er to me, and she nodded slightly. “Good, we are all here. Our guest would prefer to have this done as quickly as possible.”

The stranger threw back his hood and dropped the cloak, revealing himself as Mors Charger. “Aye, the longer I am absent gone, more likely my presence will be missed. Not that Veritanu watches me that closely, but if he should learn of this meeting...”

“‘Twould likely be thy death,” I agreed. I looked him o’er, trying to take his measure. A grizzled, one-eyed soldier who was likely of an age with myself or Shadow, but looked a good decade older. Doubtless a result of a far less healthy lifestyle. “Which begs the question of why thou art here to begin with. I would have thought thy god would have thee at his side to worship him, or whatever it is Veritanu needs from thee.”

Mors shrugged. “I suspect the only reason we are here is to ruffle some feathers by virtue of being clan members in Canterlot. He could have picked far more prestigious honor guards, but none that would upset the powers that be quite as much as we would.” He snorted and shook his head. “Though I was but a bondspony anyway, hardly true clan.” He nodded to Shadow and Gale by way of contrast.

“Bondsponies are sworn to the clan and bear the name, but are not full members of the clan,” Gale explained for my benefit, though I had already gathered as much from prior discussions on clan structure. “Curious that the exiles chose thee for a leader.”

“Some of the old ways are not quite as valued as they once were,” Mors answered. “Evidently they prefer me to any of the true clan who joined us.”

I snorted and shook my head. “If Veritanu thinks a few Chargers will be enough to distract me, regardless of their place in the old clan hierarchy, he was greatly mistaken.”

Mors moved over to one of Shadow’s seats and made himself comfortable. “Aye, ‘tis naught but a bit of petty needling. You no doubt noticed he enjoys such displays of power.”

“So we did,” Shadow agreed. “Let us not waste time on idle pleasantries. Why art thou here?”

Mors shrugged. “Your daughter did give me a very nice bag full of bits.”

I frowned. “So thou hast been bought? Small surprise for a mercenary.” I had always been of two minds when it came to mercenaries. On the one hoof, their motivation and desire was refreshingly simple and straightforward. However, a soldier whose loyalty I could buy could just as easily be bought by one of mine enemies.

“I prefer to think of it as more rented than bought,” Mors answered with a dry smile that tugged at the scar lines radiating from his missing eye. “Though 'twould be more accurate to say I found a way to be paid for what I already intended to do. Namely, inform you of Veritanu's intentions.”

That was a curious response. “So quick to betray thy master?”

“My master?” Mors snorted and shook his head. “Just another client, and not one I am especially fond of. Not that I have found many of those.”

Small surprise the false god had not earned his loyalty. Howe’er... “Why should I trust thy words? Thou wouldst not be the first to come to me in the shadows of night claiming to have valuable information for me. This could just as easily be a ruse on thy client’s behalf, or merely a petty scheme to take a few bits from us and offer nothing of true value in return. Those who were once of the clans have no shortage of reasons to hate Equestria.”

Mors looked between myself and Shadow, the snorted. “Aye, true enough. I cannot say I care for either of you. The two of you lead the conquest of Pegasopolis and sundering of all the clans save two. No doubt the both of you have the blood of my kin on your hooves. ‘Twould be no surprise if I sought revenge. If nought else, I owe some earth pony guerilla a debt for this.” He tapped at his empty eye socket.

He fell silent for a long moment, then scoffed and shook his head. “But the clans brought their doom upon themselves; the two of you merely finished off the last rotting remnants. I did not choose exile rather than live in a clanless Equestria. I deserted the rebel army well before the war’s end, when my clan fell under the sway of an abomination who named warlocks as her close advisors. Mayhaps I could have gone into the swamp like the Stalkers, or tried to slip through the siege lines like some of my high-clan kin. But then, I was in a field hospital in Manehattan recovering from losing an eye when it all went mad. And ... I had no desire to fight ‘gainst mine own, e’en if I could no longer believe in their cause. Far better to simply ... exit.”

“A better reason than most give for desertion,” I murmured. “Though I can hardly fault thee for thy choice when ‘twas to my benefit. Thou hast more sense than many of thine kin. If there had been more wisdom in those days Pegasopolis might still be standing.”

“Wiser ponies would have found a way not to fight a war in the first place,” Mors answered. “But to answer thy question, I cannot say I like any of you. Or e'en that I do not have many good reasons to hate you. But old hates no longer burn so hot in my heart, and Veritanu ... let us say that a few years of life in Freeport has given me cause to dislike the current masters of the city e'en more.”

‘Twould be a lie to say I was not curious. “What occurs in Freeport that so disquiets thee?

Mors grimaced. “You know Veritanu and the rest of Freeport’s gods are not natural creatures. Their existence requires ... sustenance.”

“Illuminate me.” I had heard no shortage of rumors, gossip, and implausibly lurid tales about what passed in Freeport. Reliable first-hoof accounts from those who had spent time in the company of one of the false gods were far harder to come across.

“E’en in Freeport we cannot say for certain,” Mors confessed. “Or at least, they make an effort to hide it. You know the Golden Path began as a religious movement to bring justice to Freeport, and their false gods were supposed to be spirits of pure justice. Doubtless they thought it poetic to feed their new gods with the blood and souls of the worst criminals in Freeport. Now ... suffice to say Freeport’s prisons are frequently empty, and anyone arrested for any significant crime is ne’er seen again.”

Shadow scowled as the picture came into focus, and mine own expression doubtless mirrored hers. I put my thoughts into words that would make the right impression on Mors. “We all have blood on our hooves, but I have always made a point of ne’er shedding it unless ‘twas needed. Few things are less necessary than the existence of Freeport’s false gods.” I rose to my hooves, pacing about. “So 'tis blood magic that sustains them. Not that I can say I am surprised. Blood is a potent source of magic, and one many abominations partake of.”

“So I have heard.” Mors frowned. “Which is no small part of why I came here to warn you about Veritanu. In case you have not already guessed, his intentions here are less than honest. Veritanu's star has been fading amongst the gods of Freeport since he picked the wrong side in a few power struggles. He needs a quick victory to boost his standing, and he seems to think that an Equestria with no Celestia to defend it is his best hope.”

Ah. I should have known. Most foreign policies are ultimately the result of internal pressures. Our recent disagreement with Gryphonia sprang to mind, born in no small part out of growing tension ‘tween the Ephorate and Her Majesty. Or in this case a leader whose power and influence were fading, and so he opted for one of the most common maneuvers any tyrant seeks to build up their reputation: a victory o’er another nation. None would think a conqueror weak.

At least now I knew something; what Veritanu wanted. A small thing, but ‘twas the first part of unraveling the puzzle for how to destroy him. “So he seeks the prestige of a foreign victory. But what sort of a victory?”

“He aims to force you to give him back his ship and apologize. The how of it...” Mors shrugged. “He does not trust me enough to reveal all his secrets.”

“It seems rather petty stakes,” Gale opined. “A single trade ship with a few smuggled goods is hardly the sort of prize that would strike terror into the hearts of his enemies.”

“Because ‘tis not the ship itself he seeks,” I told her. “It is the act of us returning the ship. He wants all his rivals to see him go to Equestria, demand something of us, and then we publicly comply with him.”

Shadow nodded grimly. “He doubtless calculated the stakes carefully. We did say that any grand attack on Equestria would inevitably result in retribution from Celestia upon her return. A single smuggling ship being returned to its owner? I am sure there have been leaders willing to start wars o’er such thing, but the Commander is not one of them.”

“Does he think we will bow to him because his demands are relatively petty?” I snorted and pawed at the floor. “If he thinks I will do such a thing, he does not grasp who he is dealing with. He thinks Equestria under my command weak and vulnerable, that we will cave to his demands without our so-called goddess here to hold our hooves? Neigh, if anything our resolve is far stronger in her absence.”

Mors chuckled. “It seems your reputation was not exaggerated, Regent. Pity Veritanu does not seem to care about such facts. He sees you as naught but another mortal to be swept aside by his divine power. Though I would still be wary, since you defied him earlier I expect he intends to put you in a position where saying no would be difficult.”

“But of course he will.” After all that Mors had told us I hardly expected him to back down. To do so at this point would just damage his already tattered reputation e’en further. “The question is how. Currently he has nothing to bargain with and no way to force me to comply with his will.”

Shadow’s countenance darkened. “Doubtless he intends to change that.”

“He can try,” I growled. “And regret it for the rest of his short existence.”

Mors frowned at me. “Can you kill him?”

I grinned, a part of me almost looking forward to what would come. “I have had a great many enemies whose deaths I decided upon. Not a short list, and one that includes such notables as the Avatar of Nightmare Moon. None of those enemies currently draw breath. If Veritanu joins that list, he can share their fate.”

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aidan Hall
Alt Grendel
Anon3mous1
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
BikerDash
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
ColdSilverD
Combine
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
dkia
Edmon Star
Emily Hartsay
Emlyn Costilow
Errant
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Guldane
Jessica T
Mapguru
Peter Coulthard
Ponibius
Rowan Yote
Shank
Sweet Gale
Sylvain Colinet
Trinary
waritah
Zennyth