• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 712 Views, 37 Comments

Rails Of Wonder - Sanguine Blade



Sodor isn't the only magical railway...

  • ...
0
 37
 712

Chapter 5:The Story of Sunset

It was a colder day than most but, work was still needed. Laurie and the engines were busier than usual. However, one engine absent from the work was Sunset Shimmer. She still sat with a cold boiler in a siding alone. As more days passed Fluttershy and Laurie would see the poor engine silent and sad n her siding. The two tried to go about their work, but the sadness on Sunset's face tore at Laurie's heart and made Fluttershy feel colder in her firebox.

"We cannot just leave her there forever." Fluttershy said.

"Well it's not our decision, but we should talk to her when work is done." Laurie said and the two tired to speed things along. Once, everything was squared away, Laurie had Fluttershy slowly reverse into the line next to the out of use siding. Sunset looked at them with joyless eyes.

"Are you here to mock me? Go ahead and get it over with." Sunset said.

"No, we came to visit you. You were looking lonely." Fluttershy replied. Sunset's face lightened a little at this.

"Thank you." Sunset said. "I'm sorry for being rude. It's just...it's a long story." She continued.

"We have time. Please tell us. I mean if that's okay." Fluttershy said. Sunset gave a week smile and sighed.

"It all began when I was first built." Sunset said and this was the story she told.

When I was built, nationalization was still a ways away. I was built by Canterlot's Prestigious Railway or CPR for short. When I first arrived I had two major differences than what I am today. The minor change was that I had four rearwheels, but more importantly I was first built as a tank engine.
I was young and eager to prove myself. I arrived to the sheds on a clear autumn morning. The others welcomed me. All except one, Prince Blueblood.
You think I had a bad ego, that locomotive is unbearable. I would do everything I could to get the approval of him and the other high and mighty express engines. My only friend was an engine named Flash Sentry. He was a locomotive from the Pegasi Railway(PRW)
Unfortuatley, it wasn't enough. So when my class was called back to be rebuilt I leaped at the choice. I was rebuilt into the engine you see and fell in with the obnoxious passenger engines. One day, Flash...left because I abandoned him as a friend.So I just fell into a loop of lashing out at others since I couldn't have the joy and respect I wanted so badly.

"Oh Sunset." Laurie said putting a hand on her buffer. "No one is perfect. I'm sure the others will forgive you, but you have to show that they can trust you. Fluttershy and I will try our best to help, but it's up to you to make the initiative. No matter how much it takes you must push on." Laurie finished hugging the buffer of Sunset. Sunset had her face in slight shock at the gesture and eventually just smiled.

"Thank you. I promise to pick up the slack. If you need help just ask." Sunset said. Then, the two went off to tell Spike. He was surprised when he heard the story.

"Hmm... I can understand why she did it all now. However, she still must take a light reprimand. She will shunt in the yards and act as a relief engine. Once the others make up with her, then we shall put her back onto her own services." Spike said. Laurie gave the drake a hug and prepared for the upcoming days.

For two days, Sunset helped Fluttershy shunt trains. She laughed and told jokes, even giving engines a push to start at the station. Rarity and Twilight were quick to forgive, but Applejack and Rainbow were convinced it was an act.

"I know she's up to something." Rainbow said to AJ

"I agree...but most of the others trust her now. They have no reason to lie. I don't know honestly." AJ replied. Spike had noticed this and decided to take measure as he walked up to the two engines.

"Good afternoon girls. AJ you have to pull a large shipment tomorrow and Sunset will be helping you on it. Rainbow you have the express tomorrow before they leave." Spike said. The two gave a look of shock while Spike left. That morning Aj and Sunset left with the freight train bright and early. The trip was silent as the two pulled the train to Canterlot. Eventually, they arrived and were getting refueled.

"OK, what changed?" Aj asked looking at Sunset.

"What?" Sunset replied in confusion.

"You were so mean to my friends and now you've changed so much. So why?" AJ asked again.

"Well...Its a story." Sunset said as she told the story again. AJ didn't stop her, or ignore it. She kept her face unbiased the entire time. "So that's my story." Sunset finished. AJ was quiet...then she spoke.

"I forgive ya." AJ said. Sunset looked confused. "I can understand trying to fit in. While you aren't guilt free I at least understand your reasons so, I forgive you. Just promise to not do it again." AJ said. Sunset smiled and nodded. The two shared stories on the trip back and that night at the sheds everyone was kind to her. All except, Rainbow. It wasn't for being mean, nor was it because of pure stubbornness. Rainbow was just hard to trust many former bullies, and especially because she was highly protective of her friends.

The next day Rainbow was flying down the line. Thoughts clouding her head as she raced along. The engine couldn't seem to see what her friends did in Sunset. Things were going well until it happened. Rainbow was so busy thinking she ignored the speed limit for the next curve. her crew threw on the brakes but it was too late. The coaches were unharmed but Rainbow had jumped the line and bent her front bogies. Her crew were about to call for help When Sunset was flagged down.

"Rainbow are you okay?" Sunset asked.

"I'll be fine. What about my passengers?" Rainbow asked.

"They're okay. None of the coaches derailed luckily." Sunset said. Rainbow could hear her sincerity. She was damagd and a crane would take too long.

"Sunset take the train first." Rainbow said. Sunset was puzzled. "Those passengers are top priority. I can wait for a crane, but we need to keep our customers happy." Rainbow said. Sunset was hesitant. Then she gave a determined nod and began to couple up. She slipped at first, but she got the train away and to its destination. That night rainbow finally dropped her distrust and apologized.

"Good evening engines. I've got good news and bad news." Spike said. " The good news is that Pinkie will be back to service in two days so Fluttershy can get her overhaul. Sadly, Rainbow you'll be going to get your five year service done. Which means Sunset will be hauling the express in the meantime." Spike said. The others cheered and whistled. "We will be getting another engine to fill in as our sixth engine." Spike finished and walked away.

"Who do you think the new engine will be?" Fluttershy asked.

"Hopefully not as bad as I started." Sunset said. The others gave a slight chuckle before falling happily to sleep.