• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 10,342 Views, 1,463 Comments

The Girl with the Lyre Tattoo - Dennis the Menace



Ask no answers and be told no lies. "Who are you really, Lyra?" She wouldn't answer.

  • ...
50
 1,463
 10,342

Filling in the Gaps

Tara Sparks? Sparks in itself was an uncommon surname. Nicholas Sparks came to mind, along with many unpleasant memories of having to sit through such drivel like The Notebook and Dear John. But he was getting distracted. Tara Sparks had long black hair in a straight, no-nonsense haircut with a distinctive pink stripe. But was most striking was the color of her eyes. The last time he'd heard about anyone with violet eyes was the late Elizabeth Taylor.

"Who's asking?"

Tara frowned, and repeated her name.

"I don't have time for this."

He was able to slam the door shut before a boot stopped it.

"Settle down there, sugarcube."

Did she just call me sugarcube?

Adrian sneered. "Okay, listen. Hannah Montana, whoever you are."

"Ashleigh," she suddenly blurted.

"What?"

"Ashleigh Jackson. That's my name," she said, her eyes flicking back and forth nervously.

"I...I don't care!"

Ashleigh Jackson seemed to be the most normal out of the bunch, which was saying something, considering she was wearing a Stetson and had a Southern drawl thicker than a Polish sausage. Blonde hair tied up in ponytail, pale green eyes, and freckles.

"Are you having a party?" a bubbly voice chimed in. "My name's Diane! Diane Pie!"

Diane Pie had long curly strawberry blonde hair, a few more shades strawberry than blonde but still reasonable. Her eyes were an especially brilliant shade of blue and sparkled.

His temper was slowly rising.

"Adrian, who is it?" Lyra asked.

"Girl Scouts," he deadpanned, keeping the door half-shut.

"Changelings?" Gilda hissed.

He snarled at her. "Thin Mints or Caramel deLights?"

"We aren't Girl Scouts," another voice piped up. "Rain! Rain Dash!" She jerked a thumb towards herself.

Rain wasn't too unique as a name, but Dash? Out of all the girls, she by far had the most ridiculous, flamboyant haircut with rainbow streaks. Her eyes were a bright ultraviolet.

"Thin Mints!" Lyra hissed.

"Lyra? We know you're in there!" Tara called.

Adrian slapped his forehead. He recalled some sage words of advice his friend had given him, something along the lines of, "Don't stick your dick in crazy." Lo and behold, he'd done exactly just that and got crazy in return. This was insanity.

"Do you know these people?"

A posh voice chimed in, "We may have shoplifted for a change of clothes, so perhaps could you let us in before law enforcement shows up?"

"And you are?"

"Rene, darling."

Rene Gem had a pair of smoky blue eyes and dark hair, bordering black with a tint of purple. At the moment her coiffure looked disheveled and frazzled, yet she held her head high.

"And her?"

There had been another girl trying to make herself as small as possible behind Rene.

"Fiona," she answered, her voice barely a whisper.

Fiona Shy was a strawberry blonde, just like Diane, though more blonde than strawberry. Her hair was long and flowing, and acted like a curtain. Blue eyes seemed to be a running theme in this group.

Or rather, exotic colors in general.

Lyra tiptoed up behind Adrian and peeked over his shoulder.

"LYRA!" six voices cried in unison.

"I'll take that as a yes." Adrian shoved them all inside and slammed the front door shut, locking it tight.

The six tumbled inside with yelps and cries, attempting to untangle themselves from the pile of limbs.

"You!" Rain snapped, jabbing a finger at the biker.

"You!" Gilda shot back. "What are you and your dweeb friends doing here?"

"Oh, oh! Oh my," Fiona uttered.

"Lyra, we've been looking everywhere for you!" Tara cried.

"Yes, darling, where on earth have you been?" Rene said.

"HeyheyHEY!" Adrian shouted, making himself heard over the commotion. "HEY!"

At once the house fell silent as everyone stared at him.

"I don't know who you are, but I'm going to get some answers soon. Everyone, living room, now." He didn't give anyone a chance to speak. "Living room, go, sit down. Not one word."

He had never seen Lyra angry before. The moment the six girls entered the house, her demeanor changed. He could see her jaw clench, her teeth gritting together, her lip curled in a pout. She chewed at it as he tried to get everyone settled.

Adrian leaned back. He crossed his legs, uncrossed them. He leaned forward, meshing his fingers together, leveling a cool gaze at the eight girls in the room.

"Who are you?" He glanced at Lyra. "Who are they?"

"The Elements of Harmony. Here to swoop in and save the day with her friends, like always," Lyra said lowly.

Adrian repeated himself.

"We already told you who we are. My name is Tara Sparks—"

"Cut the crap," he snapped. "I know you're from Equestria."

Tara took a slow breath and heaved a sigh. "My name is Twilight Sparkle."

One by one the other five girls revealed their true names to him. Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and lastly, Rainbow Dash. They were the Elements of Harmony. Adrian didn't catch onto much of what they said but got the gist. They were national heroes, basically. This Twilight Sparkle was a protégé to a Princess Celestia, yadda yadda, demigod who moved the sun—

"Listen, I can't keep up with this." Adrian seemed to cradle his head, almost massaging his forehead. "Right now this sounds like a bad cartoon, I need a drink and—"

"Wait, you don't believe us?"

Adrian stood up, popping open his fridge. "Noooo, I really don't."

"Why?" Tara asked.

"Because right it looks like I have a harem of eight strippers in my living room."

"What's a 'strippper'?" Fluttershy asked.

"I did the best I could," Rarity huffed. "Thrift shops are hardly fashionable. We had to make do with what we had."

"My name doesn't sound like a stripper name, does it?" Lyra asked.

"Lyra Heartstrings sure does."

"Adrian!" she whined.

"Twilight Sparkle?" Adrian asked skeptically. "Rainbow Dash? God, that sounds like the gayest name in the world."

"HEY!"

"I happen to like my name, thank you very much!" Twilight huffed.

Gilda cackled, struggling for air. Applejack covered her mouth, her shoulders quaking as she stifled a laugh. He set his glass of OJ down and leaned back and crossed his arms and delivered an ultimatum.

"I want proof."

Tara shrugged. "Well, okay then." She scanned the room for a second, and set her eyes upon the glass. She pointed. "See that?"

"Yes," Adrian said.

She closed her eyes in concentration, channeling her magic towards the cup. Adrian could scarcely believe what he saw next. The glass of orange juice was suddenly engulfed in a purple aura. It began to quiver and vibrate, the contents of the container rippling as it lifted one foot into the air.

Adrian scrambled to his feet. "Jesus!"

Tara let out a sigh as she carefully set the glass back down, wiping a bead of sweat from her brow. "Whew."

"What was that?" he stammered.

"Magic," she answered.

"Don't mess with me right now."

"Magic," Lyra said.

"This isn't funny—"

"Magic!" eight voices in the room insisted.

Adrian slowly sat down, his eyes wide with shock. He shook his head slightly. "Magic," he repeated.

"That's how we found Lyra," Twilight said.

"Magic. You have got to be kidding with me." He looked at Lyra. "Do you have magic too?"

Lyra nodded sheepishly. "Not as much as she does. But I can levitate things too." She demonstrated by lifting a ballpoint pen off the coffee table. "That's about it."

"Why didn't you show me earlier?" he blurted.

She glared. "Gee, I dunno!"

"So...it's like the Force." Adrian giggled. "'Luke, I am your father.' Could you like, choke me like Darth Vader?"

"I'm starting to consider it," Lyra threatened.

"Waitwaitwait, wait a minute," Adrian said. "This...is all real."

She rolled her eyes. "No, really?"

"So...that means you were telling the truth."

"Yes!" Lyra snapped impatiently.

"You're all...ponies?"

Seven heads bobbed up and down. Adrian's eyes widened as he come to a horrifying conclusion. He stared blankly into space, his mouth ajar. He began to breathe hard, his chest rising faster and faster until he was nearly hyperventilating.

"Adrian?" Lyra waved her hand in his face. "Adrian?"

"So that means...I fucked a horse."

Lyra squinted, a disgusted look on her face.

"You had relations with him?" Rarity inquired.

"What? Okay, yes! Moving on!"

"I fucked a horse," he repeated.

"I am not a horse!" Lyra groaned. "I'm human, just like you!"

Adrian continued, ignoring her words. "You're a human...in disguise!"

"That's not the point!"

"You're technically a horse, and I technically had sex with you."

"How do you 'technically' have intercourse?" Twilight inquired.

Adrian shrank and lunged forward, grabbing her by her shoulders. "Is that bestiality? It's not, right?"

Twilight yelped as he shook her. "I-I suppose—"

"Y-You don't understand! Nothing was off-limits! It was like an all-you-could-fuck buffet!" He sank down to his knees, curling up into a fetal position.

There were groans of disgust.

Gilda made a face. "Dude, T.M.I."

"Can we just get back to the subject on hand?" Lyra snapped irritably.

"Yes, indeed," Rarity said. "How did we come to this point in this situation—WAHAHA!" She screamed as Adrian jumped up.

"Let's see!" Adrian screamed like a madman. "Some stuff happened, we had sex—"

"STOP!" Applejack shouted, covering Fluttershy's ears.

"Like a LOT. We did it! Five times! I counted!"

Lyra's face reddened as she buried her face in her hands.

Adrian flailed his arms, as if trying to paint a vivid picture. "Every-fucking-where! Oh lord, we did it on the couch, the floor, in the shower—"

"In the bed?" Rarity suggested.

"Did you use any protection?" Tara asked.

Lyra choked.

"WE ARE WAY PAST SAFE SEX NOW!"

"ANYways!" Tara shouted. "Lyra, how did you get here?"

"What? Think I don't have the magical skill to create a portal?"

"N-No—"

"Bug lady," Gilda interjected.

"Who?"

"Bug lady, you know. Chrissy."

Their jaws hit the floor.

"Queen Chrysalis?!"

The room burst into accusations and shouts. Most of it, indecipherable. Adrian was at a loss of what to say. Lyra clenched her jaw, hanging her head lower.

"Lyra, how in Equestria could you work with that monster—"

WHAM!

Lyra's hand slammed the table.

"SHUT UP!"

Stunned silence. Adrian's jaw dropped. Lyra looked furious.

"Now that was uncalled fo—"

She wheeled on Rarity. "You shut your mouth. I'm not talking to you." She fixed Twilight with a look. "I didn't work with Chrysalis on purpose. She kidnapped me and Gilda so that she could send us to scope out this universe."

"Kidnapped? How did she kidnap you? Cadance and Shining Armor sent her and her icky changelings out to the badlands!" Rainbow said.

"I left Ponyville," she said. "Then she captured me. End of story."

"Why did you leave?" Twilight asked.

"You know why."

"Huh?"

"I said, you know why."

"Lyra I don't—"

"Oh? You don't remember?" Lyra feigned an expression of shock. "Maybe this'll jog your memory." She began to imitate Twilight's manner of speaking in a mocking tone. "'Oh Lyra, there's no way these humans of yours exist! They're just fairy tales and myths—nothing of real scientific significance!' You remember that?"

"I didn't mean—"

"The Canterlot Board of Research rejected me! They wouldn't even give me a chance! You wouldn't even give me a chance! All I need was your recommendation, but no!"

"What does that have to do with anything?" Twilight shot back.

"But that wasn't the end of it, oh no. They had to go and humiliate me in the newspapers! All of Equestria thought I was crazy!" She swallowed, and laughed. "Do you know what it feels like? Knowing that everypony is laughing at you behind your back?"

From what he could glean, Lyra held a grudge against this Twilight Sparkle.

"Humans do exist. My data was correct!"

"That's aside the point—"

"What I wouldn't give to slap you in the face with all my data!" Lyra jumped up from her seat.

This was starting to look like the beginnings of a cat fight, and not the funny kind.

"Lyra," Adrian said, grabbing her wrist and pulling her back into her seat.

"...I-I'm sorry—"

"Everywhere I looked, ponies were whispering and snickering and making fun of me—"

"We weren't laughing at you!" Fluttershy insisted, touching her arm.

Lyra clenched her jaw. As gently as possible she shrugged her hand off. "Maybe not. Not all of you." She crossed her arms. "But I couldn't take it any more. So I left. Okay?"

"Forever?"

"Not forever," Lyra scowled. "Just for...awhile. Someplace far away, where no pony knew who I was or what I tried to do. Like Appaloosa. Figures that they'd get the news too. And then Chrysalis found me."

"What were you doing in Appaloosa, Gilda?" Rainbow asked the gryphon.

Gilda snorted. "Typical ponies. No surprise you flunked geography too, Dashie. The gryphon kingdoms are located near the badlands."

"Then how did you get caught by Chrysalis?"

She scowled. "I don't have to explain myself to you."

It seemed as if everyone held a grudge in the room.

"Wouldn't you miss your friends, Lyra?" Pinkie asked.

"My friends?" She snorted. "How's Bon Bon, by the way?" The way she phrased the question and her tone, oozing with sarcasm, indicated that she could care less about this "Bon Bon".

"She's worried sick, Lyra!" Applejack said.

"Oh really? My roommate, my best friend," Lyra hissed, her words filled with contempt, "who could never take me seriously and thought I was crazy, and—and didn't even want to be seen in public standing next to me—is worried sick."

"Yes! By golly she misses you!" Applejack insisted.

"Probably cares more about the rent," Lyra muttered.

A pregnant pause followed. Passions ran high. The ones separate from this seemed uncomfortable, namely Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Applejack.

"I'm sorry," Twilight suddenly said.

"I don't want your sorry! It's too late for sorry!"

Adrian reached out. "Lyra, c'mon—agh!" He winced, touching his sore shoulder, letting out a hiss.

Fluttershy looked concerned. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," he said, rolling his arm a few times before his face contorted in pain. "Yeah, no."

"Take off your shirt," Fluttershy said.

He glanced at her.

"Please?" she begged.

The pleading look in her wide blue eyes forced him to give in. Slowly, he tore his shirt off, revealing his bandaged shoulder. Fluttershy let out a soft gasp as she saw his bandages.

"Oh my."

And in an instant, she was all over him. The others separated, watching as Fluttershy did her work. She commanded him to lay on his stomach and removed the bandages. Dried, sticky blood clung to the oozing gash. The others let out groans of disgust, looking away.

"Twilight, do you think you could heal this?" she asked.

"Maybe. I don't know how much I can do."

"If we stitch it up, would your magic work better?"

Adrian pointed to a drawer containing his mother's sewing supplies. "There's a sewing kit...in there."

"Allow me to assist," Rarity insisted.

With great care Rarity disinfected the needle with hot water, as per suggestion from Twilight, and threaded string through the eye. Using some cotton, they swabbed his wound with disinfectant.

"This might sting a lot," Fluttershy told him.

"Just do it quick."

Adrian swallowed, shutting his eyes and clenching his teeth. Lyra offered a hand for him to squeeze, which he did. The needle penetrated his skin. He let out a hiss of agony as Fluttershy drew it through and began to stitch his gash closed. The pain was dulled mainly by the pills, but still. A minute later he felt her take a pair of scissors and snip off the extra string.

"Done."

Twilight placed a hand on his shoulder. He winched, feeling a warm sensation. When she pulled her hand away, he tried to rotate his shoulder. To his amazement, he no longer felt any pain. The gash was still there, but looking much healthier and no longer bleeding. He felt like it was cheating.

"What are we gonna do about Chrysalis?" Applejack suddenly said.

"We could just zap her with these," Rainbow said, puffing out her chest to show off her necklace.

"What are those?"

Twilight unclasped the necklace from her around her neck and let him hold it. There was a pink gem inlaid into the gold.

"The Elements of Harmony. Each one represents an element of friendship."

"What do they do?"

"I...I'm not too sure. But it usually does the trick," she said. "With all six of us we can stop Chrysalis."

Applejack put a hand up. "Now hold on, Twilight. Do we really gotta help these uh, humans?"

"What?" Adrian asked incredulously.

"We were supposed to come here and find Hearstrings, and well, we found her," she said, pointing at said girl.

Rarity nodded. "I'm inclined to agree, Twilight. It's not our responsibility to stop Chrysalis, and these humans seem capable enough."

"My animals are still at home all alone," Fluttershy added.

"What ever happened to, 'With great power comes great responsibility'?!" Adrian said, raising his voice. "You can stop her, can't you?"

"Humans seem plenty capable on their own," Gilda said. "Just nuke 'em."

Adrian choked. "Nukes?"

"You get my point," the gryphon bristled. "It's not like you monkeys are hurting for weapons."

"She tried to kill us! Kill me, kill you, just cause I saw her face! So what you're saying is that I'm gonna have to run for the rest of my life?"

"Okay," Gilda said. "What's your plan?"

"What?"

"To stop Chrysalis."

"I-I don't know! Get her in trouble with the cops or something! Call the police and tell them to investigate the crime scene."

"One problem, genius. Chrissy was savvy enough to clean up after herself. No casings."

Adrian blinked. Gilda was right. There weren't any casings left behind.

"Then fingerprints! Something, I don't know!" he growled.

She held up her hand, wiggling her fingers. "None of us have registered fingerprints. None of them do either. And any evidence that was left behind got washed away by the rain."

His face grew red with fury. "Then we prove it. We tell the cops what you told me. We show them your magic."

"And get hauled off to Area 51."

"We hunt her down, follow her...magic trail. Whatever."

"Changeling magic and unicorn magic aren't the same thing. We wouldn't be able to detect it and she wouldn't be able to detect us either," Twilight explained.

"BULLSHIT!"

He hurled his empty glass against the wall, cringing as it shattered and the shards splashed all over the floor. He covered his face with his hands.

Silence.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

He bent down and began scooping up the pieces. It was all broken. Everything was broken.