• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 1,359 Views, 8 Comments

Being Brave Part III - artman7391

  • ...
17
 8
 1,359

The Crystal Empire

It had been a week and a day since Cory reunited with his old friends, and though their knowledge of Equestria had gained significantly, they still had a lot to learn of their foreign land. After all, they had only physically wandered around Ponyville, and they had discovered but half of the major cities through books and records. Among this yet to be explored land was the still mysterious Crystal Empire. Given the fact that the knowledge of this town to outsiders was limited, they knew the best way to acquaint themselves to it was to see it for themselves.

Cory, his five friends, as well as Twilight, Spike and their five mane friends found themselves relaxing on the royal crystal train to the empire itself. It was a beautiful day to travel on the gleaming locomotive, with hardly a technical or weather related disturbance to be found. Cory and pals were located in a rather decadent room in the first class cabin, while Twilight and Spike were in their quarters getting ready to meet an old friend.

"So your aunt is the head of a whole empire?" Camden asked as he drank some rather mouth watering punch.

"Yep." Cory replied as he took a sip.

"And your uncle, is the captain of some royal guards?" Katie replied.

"Yep." Cory replied again.

"How more lucky can you get?" a rather bewildered Jolene asked herself.

"I know." Cory replied "It seems only yesterday I was struggling to find someplace where I could belong. But now not only do I feel like I belong in this world, I feel as though I was destined to live here. Still, I do kind of miss being surrounded by my old species."

"I'm pretty sure these unicorns with their magic know how to get from one world to the next." Tony reassured him.

"But that's the thing." Cory explained "The only other portal that connects their world and ours is mirror portal that opens up every thirty moons. Why would another portal open up near Ponyville for all of us to enter. It just doesn't make sense."

"Sometimes you just gotta believe in things." Said Pinkie Pie upon entering. "..even if it doesn't make sense."

"That is true." Twilight added who was right behind her. "Believe me, I learned that the hard way."

Suddenly the conductors voice could be heard across the train.

"CRYSTAL EMPIRE, NEXT STOP!" he said "EVERYPONY OFF FOR THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE!"

"Awww yeah!" Said Rainbow Dash as she swooped in on the scene "Ready for your first exhibition Cory?"

"I hope so." Cory replied with uncertainty.

By the time the thirteen of them hopped off onto the platform and through the station, Cory and friends gazed in awe at the most visually stunning city they had ever seen. Every house, every building, every structure, and every street down to the last naturally intricate detail was just as the city's title suggested: a crystal kaleidoscope of unimaginable fathoms. Cory found it difficult to keep his jaw from dropped as he and his friends walked further into the empire. Never before had he been enthralled by a town of geometric proportions with a decor only rivaled by Canterlot itself.

Even the pony residents were of no exception. Their coats seemed to perfectly match the residences they trotted towards. It was as if they were made from the very material they thrived on. Cory's friends couldn't help but pause for a moment to look at these rather abnormal creatures and wonder how a species could possibly exist.

"Excuse me." Rarity said under heavy breathing "Pardon me if faint over this glorious display."

"Boy, you still not used to being surrounded by crystals are ya?" Asked Applejack.

As they all ventured deeper into the city, Cory and friends noticed what appeared to be a large sculpture of Spike holding a crystal heart. Surrounding were other crystal ponies taking pictures and posing in front of it.

"So is Spike some kind of legend in these parts?" Camden asked.

"Yep." Twilight replied "The first time we arrived, Spike here saved the whole Crystal Empire from certain doom."

"Yeah. I'm pretty much a hero here." Said a prideful Spike.

"I can only imagine why." Said Jolene as she pointed towards a gift shop with Spike memorabilia.

"Alright Cory." Said Twilight "You and your friends head on over with your belongings to the hotel over there while Spike and I run a little errand. Spike? Spike?"

Everyone looked behind to find Spike surrounded by rather exuberant ponies with pictures of him in their mouths.

"Eh, you guys go ahead. " Spike said as took out a quill "I got some autographs to sign."

"Alright." Twilight chuckled "But make it quick. we cannot delay our check up."

"Mmm Hmm." He replied as if not comprehending to what she said.

The rest all shrugged and turned back to their business.

The morning had turned to early noon as Cory, his friends and five other mane companions found themselves in rather posh four star hotel connected to the empire's palace. As they checked in, they separated into two equally lavish rooms, one for humans, and the other for ponies. All were unpacking their things, sorting their clothing, checking if any luggage was left behind or forgotten. Cory, as expected was found rehearsing his speech for the rather important evening that lay ahead, while the others admired the decor of the suite.

"Boy oh boy." Said Jolene as she approached and patted him on the back. "Seems only yesterday you was struggling with writing an essay. Now look at ya, a celebrity to a whole nation with some good, honest work and a grammatically literate capacity."

"Thanks, I think." Cory replied.

"It's almost as if we were all meant to be back together again." Rachel proclaimed "Like some cosmic force of some kind pulled us into this foreign land, ready to take on whatever it throws at us."

"Still can't shake off the fact that maybe I still have something to do back where we came from." Cory said solemnly, "Like I was destined to be a hero in both worlds."

"I don't think you should be worrying about that now pal." Tony reassured him. "Ya got us now. What's there to fret on?"

"Eh." Cory said to himself "Maybe I'm just so used to a down trotted life. But that doesn't matter anymore. We got a whole bright future ahead of us now."

"That's the spirit." Jolene acknowledged

"I know you'll knock em dead tonight buddy." Katie added.

"Thanks guys." Cory answered back. "I'm glad to have you all with me again."

"We we're never the same without you pal." Camden added.

And with those words, they all huddled up in a group hug.

The day had gone on to late afternoon. It was time for Cory and the gang to prepare themselves for their big night, but not before taking a moment to stare in wonderment at the majesty that was the Crystal Palace. Located precisely in the center of the empire, it stood out among all the structures surrounding it. The architecture seemed to compose itself entirely of a white and blue gemstones, melted together to create a church-like building. The most outstanding part of it being how the center lifted off ground, supported only by four beams firmly rooted into the crystal ground. It was as if the architects of the Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal worked together to create a magnum opus of epic proportions.

As Cory and his friends, both human and pony alike approached the entrance, a rather medium sized guard with a color scheme similar to Cory's welcomed them with the royal treatment. After which he escorted them to the equally lavish throne room of Princess Cadence, to which she and her husband Shining Armor were waiting for them.

"Hey Cory!" Shining Armor as he galloped towards them and gave Cory a noogie "How's my favorite nephew."

"Uncle." Chucked Cory "I'm your only nephew."

It was then he turned over to see his friends behind him.

"So, these are your friends you've talkin about huh?" Shining Armor asked, to which Cory nodded.

"It's an honor to meet Cory's new uncle." a rather stunned Camden acknowledged.

"Well, they don't call me captain of the guards for nothing." Armor replied.

"Hello Cory." Said Cadence with a heavenly voice.

"Hey aunt Cadence." Cory replied as the two approached and hugged each other in a great embrace.

"It is so relieving to see you reunited with your friends." She said with enthusiasm "And how joyous it will be to have them present at your first exhibition."

"Well like we said before, um, your highness," Tony replied "we weren't the same without him."

"We're just glad to see he's in good han...I mean hooves." Rachel added.

Shining Armor and Cadence chuckled as she said this.

"Say, the exhibition doesn't start for a few hours." Said Shining Armor.

"Why don't you all give yourselves a tour of our palace to pass the time." Cadence added.

"Thanks guys." Cory replied "Who's ready for an adventure, just like times?"

"Lead the way Cory!" Replied a rather enthusiastic Katie, and off they went into the hallways of the palace.

As previously stated, the interior was as complimentary as it's outer shell. With it's perfectly symmetric rotundas, it's wide open study halls, and it's evenly balanced hallways, one could easily improvise on whatever they so chose to any selected room.
But despite it's rather large capacity, the palace's rooms were hardly empty. Everywhere this sextet of misfits turned, a guard could be found keeping close watch of any suspicious activity, or a delegate and/or servant was seen talking among one another of business related subjects. Though Cory and friends ran around like a gang of troublemakers, nopony seemed to mind their presence. In fact, whenever they were approached by a royal servant or guard, he or she bowed in respect at their presence, to which they bowed back.

So many rooms and passageways, each unique in their own special way, were to be explored by them. From the spa and bedrooms, to the towers and private studies, they all felt like kids discovering an unknown cave of untouched dreams. But the one place that stood out the most, was a deep cavern, etched at the edge of the castle borders. As Cory and friends approached this rather enigmatic pit, they gazed into the dark abyss, and the rather uneven steps.

"We're goin down?" Jolene asked

"Eeyup." Cory replied

"No journey's too steep for us?" Katie asked.

"Eeyup." Cory replied, and with that 'eeyup,' they all walked down, one leading the other.

With every step, the downward tunnel grew darker and darker, while their hearts beat faster and faster. But they knew in their hearts no obstacle was too difficult for a team like them. So, though what lied ahead grew blacker, and what lay below became fainter, they marched onward, without looking back. By the time they reached the final few steps, all natural light had abandoned them, as if Celestia had magically pulled away the sun earlier than usual. The only light source being two dimly lit torches, just a few more steps below, and even they were ready to flicker their last flame.

By the time they all reached the bottom floor, they could hardly see themselves, nor could they make out who's feet was who's. All they visibly could see were their dimly flickering faces the two blue flamed torches, both hanging on opposite ends of a rather decrepit looking door. Cory went in a state of shock as he lay eyes on this mysterious entranceway.

"What's wrong Cory?" Asked Camden

"I...I've heard about this door before." Cory replied in a shuttered voice. "Mom told me all about this. It's a door that leads to your worst fears."

"Well what are we waiting for?" Asked Katie "Let's conquer it."

"Wait!" Camden shouted as he pulled her back. "We can't just go together all at one time. It could be dangerous."

"That's true." Cory replied.

"I'll go first." Said Jolene.

"R..really?" Cory asked "I'm not sure if..."

"Cory," Jolene proclaimed "We searched high and low for you, and we'd do anything to save your ass. Even if it means risking a bit o sanity or two."

"Than how about the rest of us stand right behind in case you get trapped. Deal?" Katie asked, to which everyone nodded in agreement.

"Alright." Jolene replied, to which she took a deep breath and approached the door.

She slowly lunged her arm forward and placed her hand on the knob. Then, after taking one last gaze at her friends, she opened it with the greatest of east. Suddenly, a large, sickly green fog illuminated all around her.

"Wha..What happened?" She muttered "What am I doing back at..no...oh no...please no...don't take our barn...it's all we've ever worked for...it's our livelihood!!"

Cory and the rest of his friends approached her, to which they noticed her eyes had turned green with red dots for pupils.

"No!...Not our things!!" She moaned in agony. "Not the farm!!!"

"Someone do something!" Cory panicked "Close the door!"

"God No!! Please N..." The door slammed shut as her eyes turned to normal and she took a sigh of relief.

"Jolene, what happened there?" Tony asked

"I.." Jolene tried to think of the right words "I saw...my family's barn being repossessed, my parents being taken to the loony bin, and my livestock being taken to a slaughter mill. But, that's just a stupid fear I had. It aint real."

"Right." Camden muttered "Now it's my turn."

He took a deep a breath as his five friends stood a few inches behind him. Then, with one fellow swoop, he turned the knob and opened the door. And just like Jolene, his eyes turned a sickly green with red dots as his face filled with anxiety.

"No....No...It Cant Be!!" Camden shouted as he gazed in horror. "After all we've done and now this?! Get your hands off me! Get off me!! I'm a human being!! Let me go..."

His friends quickly closed the door shut as Camden stumbled to the floor.

"What did you see?" Cory asked as he sat next to him.

"I..." Camden tried to think of the right words as streams of tears were visible. "I saw a new law being passed. All gays and lesbians alike were to be exiled, and they were taking me away to some psychiatric ward."

"That's a fear that will never come to pass." Cory reassured him "You will always find a decent place to be accepted for who you are."

Camden's eyes watered up again as he latched his arms around Cory.

"Thanks pal" He replied under the choke of his tears.

"Ok." Tony said "Me next."

"Were right behind you." Katie said with reassurance, to which Tony nodded back.

Then, as he took a deep breath, he opened the wooden gate with the greatest of ease. And just as quickly as he opened it, his eyes shifted to that familiar, glowing green hue.

"Wha..." He muttered "What is this? Why is everyone so...This is right...This isn't right at all...Where's the joy? Where's the love? Where's the hope?!! I can't live this? How can anyone? Ho.." The door immediately closed on him as he wiped away his tears.

"It was awful." He said "There was not a smile to be found. A bright hue to be seen. Everyone was just serious and depressed, I can hardly even describe it. It's as if...as if all the happiness in the world zapped away."

"You don't have to explain any further." Jolene said "That's a world that just won't ever exist."

"Right." He replied with a slight nod.

"Alright." Katie said with the crack of her knuckles and message of her calves.

She marched forward as her friends stood behind.

"Come and get me fears." She said as she turned the knob and opened the door.

Once again, eyes turned green, and pupils turned red.

"Where am I?" she said bleakly "What's going...No, I don't want this! I don't belong here!! Get me out of here!! Someone listen to me!!! I don't belong here! Help me!!"

The door slammed shut and Katie fell to floor in tears. Never before had she looked so frightened and so vulnerable. This was not the Katie her friends and loved ones remembered.

"Well, what did ya see?" Asked Jolene.

"I saw...." Katie tried to think of the right words. "I saw myself, in a dark place, a blank, empty room with no one around, no one to see, no one to talk to. I was all alone. I guess that's why I always wanted to be so athletic, striving to be the best. Cause I wanted attention. I didn't want to be alone."

"As long as you have friends," Rachel told her "You are never alone."

Katie latched around Rachel and hugged her, to which she hugged back.

"I suppose it's my turn." Rachel said with a gulp.

"If anything happens, we'll be right here." Cory said, to which Rachel nodded back.

Then, she carefully walked towards the door, turning the knob with a slower motion than her companions. As it opened, so did her eyes, wider than ever before. As her eyes turned green and her pupils turned red, she collapsed into tears.

"No..." She whimpered "Why? Why is this happening? It's all gone. This can't be true. Every thing's...vanished. There's nothing left! Why!!? Why did they do this? Why..." The door slammed shut as Rachel embraced her friends in a fountain of tears.

"Don't make me do that again guys." She said underneath her sobbing. "It was horrible."

"What did you see?" Camden asked.

"I..." She started "I saw every forest, every mountain, every sea, destroyed by a cataclysmic disaster. All flora and fauna was dead. we human were the only survivors in the parched wasteland."

"Now Rachel." Jolene said "As long as there are people like you who care for the planet, that is never gonna happen."

"I hope so." Rachel replied as she wiped away her tears. "I really do hope so."

"You know what's funny?" Tony realized "All our fears had one thing in common."

"What's that?" Camden asked.

"We were all alone. There was no one to rely on, no one to talk to, no one to express our feelings with. It was as if, we were all invisible."

"I can't imagine what it was like for Cory here." Katie said "A whole year with hardly a future to forward to? I don't think I could ever live it down."

"I guess I'm the last one." Cory said.

"Like you said." Rachel assured him "We're all right behind you."

Cory straightened his shirt, rolled up his sleeves and approached the door.

What fears do I have? He thought to himself Do I have fears anymore? I mean, I've already been through more than one human can handle. What else is there?

His heart thumped against his chest as he slowly opened the door. He could feel his blood rushing through his veins, his muscles tightening around his bones, and his sweat falling against his brow. And just like that, the door fully swung open, his eyes turned green, and his pupils turned red. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but nothing came out. His friends surrounded him, awaiting for any word of muttering of some kind. Instead, they saw a confused face and a gaping mouth. After a moment of silence, they closed the door, knowing it was more than enough time.

"Well?" Tony asked "What did you see."

Cory just stared blankly at the closed door.

"I..." He started to speak "I saw.....nothing."

Everyone just looked at him in confusion.

"Wha...What do you mean you saw nothing?" Camden asked "Like you said, this is supposed to show one's worst fears."

"Yeah, especially after all you've through." Tony added.

"That's the thing." Cory explained "My worst fear already did come true. It was losing you guys. I couldn't have imagined a worse fate than my own. Being all alone in the world, with no one care or talk to you? Everywhere you go, you just feel worthless? And no matter what you do it just backfires right in your face?"

Cory messaged his eyes as tears streamed down his cheeks.

"But now..." He continued "...that's all in the past. My worst fear is gone. I have a new family, a brighter life, and above all, I have you guys again. That's why I didn't see anything. Cause it already happened. There's no point in opening that door anymore. My fears have been spent."

The eyes of his friends burst with tears as they embraced in a group hug.

Now it was over, or so they thought, as they continued to roam around the interior of the palace. The sun had already signaled mid-afternoon, thus the guards, servants and delegates we're beginning to prepare for Cory's big night.

"I hope never to go through that again." Jolene said to herself.

"You and me both sister." Tony replied.

At that moment, they saw what looked like a zap of light at the edge of the hallway. Being the curious companions they were, they rushed to the source. As they traveled the end of the corridor and stepped inside, they found themselves in a rather ancient room filled with picture frames and old knick knacks to fill the empty space. But was stood out the most was what lay in front of them. It was the mirror portal, exactly what Twilight described to her son. Surrounding it were a few controls and switchboards, specifically designed to keep this world and the other connected. On top of the mirror was what looked a small journal with a sun like emblem on the cover. Tapped on the frame was a small note that read:

Dear Castle Guards
Spike and I have entered the other world to complete a small task under Celestia's order. We'll be back by tonight for Cory's gala. Take Care
Twilight Sparkle

At that moment, Cory came to a sudden realization. He walked onto the platform and touched the mirror.

"What are you doing?" Jolene asked.

Cory turned to face them.

"There is something that has to be done." Cory replied "I need to settle a score with an old foe of mine, and prove my studies have paid off."

"But we thought you don't have any more fears." Said Camden.

"I don't." Cory replied. "But I don't know if I truly conquered them unless I face them head on. I need to finish what's been started."

At that moment, his friends approached.

"We're coming with you." Said Katie.

Cory thought for a moment.

"You're right. I can't do this by myself."

They all held hands as they stared at the unknown abyss that was the mirror portal.

"You really are the bravest guy we've ever known." Tony said.

Cory nodded with a smile.

"Let's do this." He said with confidence.

and with those words, they all jumped in.