• Published 26th Oct 2018
  • 1,205 Views, 205 Comments

Many Happy Reunions - EchoWing



Many meetings and reunions ensue when Sunset Shimmer's cousin arrives in Ponyville.

  • ...
2
 205
 1,205

Chapter Seven - Unfinished Business

Ponyville’s local jail wasn’t all that large a facility. This was partly due to the fact that crime was light in town, with most issues being resolved without the intervention of the authorities. In a small town like Ponyville, most residents were content to handle issues on their own, something that the local constabulary didn’t object to in the slightest, even in the odd extreme case such as that scuffle over a doll or that love potion incident. Perhaps that might change if such things became more common, but for now, they remained an oddity.

What many hoped would remain an oddity would be actual prisoners in the jail itself. That there had been two arrests within the last two months was something of a shocker, one within the last twenty-four hours. The lone prisoner had vocalized very clear protests at being gawked at, but had behaved herself enough to send off a message on the wireless requesting her lawyer and otherwise not raise any trouble. The staff hoped that she’d be their only guest, and upon arraignment the following week would be out of their manes in one way or another.

The arrival of sixteen more ponies, all of them sporting some manner of bruising and injury, was a surprise, but not one they were unprepared for, save the one stallion whose front right knee was clearly going to need serious attention. That the local district attorney was present helped to expedite matters, however. The prisoners would get a quick medical evaluation and treatment before being locked away in cells, and there they would stay until arraignment on the coming Monday.

As the guards escorted one prisoner out of examination for his injuries and into holding, Legalhawke made her way to a break room. She spied one of her junior lawyers and smiled. “That coffee still fresh, Woody?”

The deep red stallion shook his head. “You know I don’t like being called that, ma’am.” Ironically the junior of the two lawyers given his name, Elderwood nonetheless found himself the victim of an affectionate and unfortunate nickname from his senior associate. “But yes, still fresh. I thought you were going to that party with your husband and kids?”

“Party got spoiled.” She approached the coffee maker and poured herself a cup. “They’re still there though, and I’m heading back after I take care of some paperwork. And that includes having you handle arraignment proceedings.”

He looked at her in surprise as she took a sip. “Me? Really? Why?”

“Conflict of interest. My son Flash was among those being attacked, and one of those doing the attacking was…” She frowned. “You know what I told you, about my first husband?”

Elderwood’s face darkened at the mention of his associate’s past. “Yeah, I remember.”

“I have friends, and they’ve kept tabs on his relatives. One of the mares we brought in tonight was his niece. I try her or any of them, and any competent lawyer could tear the case apart, accuse me of bias. And the jury might believe it.” She shrugged and added, “Plus I’m a witness.”

The stallion shook his head. “At this rate, we might end up with a change of venue.”

A knock sounded at the door, and one of the guards’ heads poked in. “Excuse me counsilors, but one of the prisoners has asked for use of the wireless. She wants to contact the Mayor of Indianapoloosa, says he’s her father.”

Elderwood nodded. “Go ahead, we can’t deny her a phone call.” The guard nodded and closed the door behind him before the stallion turned to his coworker and said, “You enjoy that coffee while you can, then get back to that party. I’ll get one of the clerks and we’ll put together our cases and have them ready by Monday.”

“Thanks Woody, but I’ll wait until they’re been sorted out before I get going.” She grinned at her coworker’s eyeroll. “Anyway, at least this means you won’t have to deal with Spoiled Milk.”

“Thank the Maker for minor miracles.”

-

“We can handle it, you said.” Sour Sweet glowered at Pinkie Pie as the party pony finished her part in cleaning up the partygrounds. “Never occurred to you that the bitch would be able to hold her own with her magic, did you?”

The party pony shook her head. “Well, no, but I didn’t think she’d be able to pull off magic like that.” She pouted regretfully. “Or that she’d be crazy enough to pull something like that in the first place.”

“Arrogance and stupidity can lead a pony to do a lot of things, especially if they were never told they couldn’t.” Quiver gently rubbed his neck with one hoof, still feeling sore from where he’d been struck. “As for the magic, well, I guess private tutors can more than make up for a formal education.” He turned to Twilight and added, “Good thing for us you came when you did.”

“I guess.” The young princess had kept Spike close after the fight had ended, both for her own comfort and his. “But if I’d been here earlier…”

“We all agree that no one can fault you being late to the party, Twilight.” Princess Celestia gave her former student a comforting smile. “And I don’t think anyone faults you for your actions tonight, though I fear whatever lawyer she summons will argue for excessive force.”

“She attacked us and ordered Brick to hurt Spike just because she could.” Quiver scowled. “A lawyer can argue for whatever they like, but I doubt a jury’s gonna be sympathetic.” He then calmed himself and looked up at the elder alicorn before him. “My apologies if I spoke out of turn, your Highness.”

Celestia smiled. “None required, Mister Quiver Quill.” She turned herself to properly address him as Sunrunner took a place at his side. “I’m glad to finally have the chance to meet you face to face, though I do regret the circumstances, and the trouble you’ve been through.”

Quiver shook his head. “None of it was your fault. You recognized Primrose as a bad egg and tossed her out. That she ended up going to the same school as me was just an unfortunate circumstance. As for what you did in regards to my story, however, that I owe you my thanks for.” He frowned and noted, “But you’re not here because of me, are you?”

“Not directly, no, but something you said earlier to Twilight struck something of a chord with her, and with me.” She leaned in and gently reassured him, “It’s the rare pony who’s willing to call me out for my failures, especially in the company of another princess. And me addressing them is long overdue, and has only worsened thanks to Primrose’s actions.” Her gaze turned towards Sunrunner as she added, “I’ve much to answer to where your family is concerned, Lieutenant. I only hope that you can forgive me for my failings.”

The fiery-maned pegasus kept calm, though her eyes showed some unease. “With all due respect, ma’am, I think there’s somepony else you need to take things up with before I can do so.”

Celestia nodded. “A fair answer. Please excuse me then.” With that, she winked out and left the gathered ponies to themselves.

Sunrunner managed a proud smile as she turned to her coltfriend. “Praise from a centuries-old monarch. That’s a feather in your cap.”

He gave her a slightly-embarrassed smile in return. “I’ll try not to let it go to my head.”

“Mister Quiver?” He turned to find a slightly battered and bruised Diamond Tiara standing nearby with her father, Silver Spoon and the three Cutie Mark Crusaders, packages balanced upon her back and Sweetie Belle’s. “I’m sorry about your party getting trashed.”

“And I’m sorry that you got caught up in what happened.” Quiver approached and added, “Especially with your tiara getting destroyed. As much as I appreciate you standing up for me, I don’t want anypony getting hurt on my behalf.”

“You stood up for me, though.” The filly turned conflicted as she admitted, “And the tiara isn’t a big loss. She gave it to me, after I got my cutie mark.” She reached back and held up her present. “Anyway, this is for you.”

“After Pinkie Pie came to us with an invitation, Diamond insisted upon getting you something.” Filthy Rich beamed with pride as he admitted, “I didn’t have the heart to say no.”

Quiver opened the package to reveal a golden tie clip, adorned on the front by a quill. “Wow. Thank you.”

“We’ve got somethin’ for ya too.” Apple Bloom grinned nervously as her unicorn friend lifted up her present in her magic. “Well, Sweetie Belle’s got somethin’ for ya.”

“It’s meant to be from all three of us, along with an invitation.” Quiver opened this present to reveal a deep red scarf, trimmed with gold and decorated with the symbol of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. “The invitation was something we talked about after we all got here.”

“We want to name you an honorary Cutie Mark Crusader.” Scootaloo beamed as she explained, “I mean, it’s the least we can do after last night.”

“Aw girls, thank you.” Quiver wrapped the scarf about his neck, and made a point of slipping the tie clip onto it for good measure. “And I’ll accept it with honor. Just the four of us?”

“Plus Discord an’ the Manehattan branch, fer now.” The three Crusaders looked among themselves as Apple Bloom explained, “We’ve gotten to thinkin’ that just because a pony’s earned their cutie mark, that don’t mean they can’t help others find theirs. You did that fer Sunrunner.”

The pegasus gave her coltfriend a playful nudge. “And a few others besides.”

“So we thought it might be a good idea to expand the membership. If’n a colt or filly our age wants to join, cutie mark or no, then they can. All that’s required is that they be willin’ to help others find their cutie marks.” She turned to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon and added, “An’ that includes the two’a y’all.”

“Really?” The two former bullies looked at one another in shock as Silver Spoon spoke for them both. “Even after all we did? Why?”

“Because we figure this could give you guys a chance to make up for some of what you’ve done.” Scootaloo gave a half-smile. “Plus it’d be kinda wrong for us to give Discord a chance and not you guys.”

Quiver sagely nodded. “This is true. And having an outside perspective can be a good thing anyway, even when it comes to interpreting cutie marks. I read this article once in a magazine about this one stallion, Troubleshoes.”

Applejack laughed at that. “Ah’ve heard of him. Famous rodeo clown. Thought his cutie mark meant he was stuck with bad luck until somepony pointed out it could also mean he was good on his hooves. He needed a few classes, but he’s gone on to great things.”

“Exactly, though his life could’ve gone another way.” He frowned and noted, “Makes you wonder what could have been.”

-

Celestia was solemn as she stepped into the bridge realm. She idly glanced around and wondered if any of the furniture her counterpart had brought here had been removed, and whether or not she’d be able to tell. So much had been left in here over the centuries between the two of them, Star Swirl and whomever he’d communed with that it would be hard to guess whether everything had been claimed.

In any case, she had more immediate concerns as she began stripping herself of her royal garments. She’d just slipped out of one of her hoof-shoes before a familiar voice reached her ears. “You don’t need to do that on my account.”

“Perhaps not, but I thought there would be more meaning to this without them.” She turned to find her former student waiting near the portal back to Canterlot High. “Hello Sunset.”

“Princess Celestia.” Sunset Shimmer stepped forward as her former teacher slipped back into her hoof-shoe. “I guess what Quiver said got Twilight thinking.”

“He did, and it’s a very good thing for him that Twilight decided to act upon it.” She spied an easy chair and some cushions, and moved them closer with her magic. “I’ll let her tell you about what happened later, but suffice it to say, somepony else has faced a reckoning today. Though I fear they won’t learn from their experiences.” She frowned and added, “I can only hope that won’t repeat.”

Sunset sat down as Celestia planted herself upon a cushion. “Whether that happens depends a lot on if they’re able to do so.”

“Indeed it does. I wish that I was as good about that as you are.” The princess turned to face her former pupil with regret. “Sunset, when we first reunited here some months ago, after you apologized to me for your actions, I offered an apology in return. But even then, I felt that what I said was woefully inadequate to the task. I hoped to find the time to discuss that further, but circumstances kept getting in the way.” She frowned bitterly and noted, “It’s a shame. I’ve divested myself of much of my power and put it into the hooves of my subjects, and yet, I still find myself with not enough time on my hooves, even for the important things.”

“You’re finding the time now.”

“But I should have found it months ago. Had I done it after you became Twilight’s student, or even after your suspension ended, perhaps we could have avoided so much. Alas…” Celestia looked her student in the eye, dread now clear upon her face. “I think I’m due some difficult questions. Don’t hold back.”

Sunset steepled her fingers and held the tips to her lips as she considered her first question. “Why did you refuse to tell me anything more about the mirror after you showed it to me? I mean, why show it to me in the first place if you didn’t think I was ready to know anything about it?”

“You recall the vision you saw, when you looked into the mirror?”

“The one that briefly showed me as an alicorn, before showing me turned into a demon.” Celestia nodded at Sunset’s summation. “You couldn’t have seen that for yourself.”

“No, but…” Celestia frowned. “Sunset, very often you can rush into something and find yourself making a terrible mistake in the process, particularly if you’re frightened or scared. And thanks to hindsight, we both knew what was on the horizon.”

“Nightmare Moon’s return.”

“And when a filly as talented as yourself uses a spell as advanced as the Dragonfire Spell, a mare like myself has to wonder if she could be a candidate to carry an Element of Harmony. But one pony wielding them seemed at the time to be impossible, if not outright dangerous.”

“Six Elements between six ponies, and if I was going to carry one, then I needed to form a friendship with others.”

“But I couldn’t force you to do so, any more than I could force you to write back to your family or resolve your remaining issues with your parents’ deaths. And as I recall, the efforts I made to encourage you to make friends amongst your classmates didn’t go nearly as well as I’d hoped.”

Sunset frowned at that memory. “No kidding. I think I intimidated Glitter Drops and Spring Rain more than anything.” She then winced and added, “I really hope they didn’t drop out because of me.”

“They didn’t. Don’t go borrowing guilt that you don’t need.” Celestia steered discussion back on-topic as she continued, “In any case, I saw that it was less a case of you finding friends and peers and more you gaining admirers, and seeing your classmates as being beneath you. And that ignores the sense that you actively didn’t want to seek out others and make friends. You’ve always been the willful sort, for better or worse, and I wasn’t quite certain how to proceed. You were a unique student, even considering how long I had been taking ponies into my tutelage. Then I remembered a conversation I had with someone I knew, and that led to what was probably the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.”

The girl took on a grim expression. “Trying to scare me straight with the mirror.”

Celestia nodded at Sunset’s summation. “I had a vision too, the same time you looked into the mirror. It showed me Nightmare Moon’s return and defeat, and Luna’s restoration. It also showed me glimpses of you, and your life until that point. Nowhere did the visions intersect, and that worried me. But one thing I theorized from what I saw was that, thanks to decisions I and others had already made and couldn’t undo, that you were likely not to play a part in my sister’s return.” She turned remorseful as she admitted, “I planned to explain everything to you about the mirror, but that vision made me think otherwise. Right up until that fateful last time you asked me about it, I was still trying to figure out the vision I’d seen. I’ve received them in the past, but they were usually far less cryptic and far more direct.”

“And telling me that I wasn’t ready?”

The alicorn bowed her head in shame. “The hasty, ill-chosen words of somepony at their last ends, who expected to be obeyed simply because they were a figure of authority. They were no different from a parent telling their child ‘because I said so’. Had I been honest with you from the beginning, had we discussed things properly, had I treated you as a grown adult rather than a juvenile student who couldn’t grasp the severity of what was to come…” She looked back up at her former pupil. “You were right when you said that I was making a grave mistake, but not for the reasons you’d thought. I lost you just as I lost Luna, and unlike her, I didn’t even have the petty luxury of being able to blame Star Swirl for distracting me from my sister’s problems. I failed you, Sunset. Just like I failed her. And the best I could do about it was ask my counterpart to look after you, and clearly, that didn’t go nearly as well as I’d have hoped.”

Sunset bowed her head in thought. “It could have gone much worse. Even if she’d been straight with me, I doubt I would have accepted her help.” She looked back up at Celestia. “And you not talking about this then?”

“Because I’m a damn fool who can’t learn from her mistakes.” A rueful smile crossed the alicorn’s face as she admitted, “I thought that gentle encouragement and quiet support would be enough, though it seems I underestimated how much talking out her problems helped Luna to recover. And I thought you’d refuse, for whatever reason. You can’t force someone to confront something, after all.”

“Bullshit!” Both turned back in surprise to find that they had an audience with the five members of the Rainbooms as the human Rainbow Dash shouted indignantly, “That’s bullshit and you know it!”

Applejack moved a hand over her friend’s chest to ease her. “Apologies fer intrudin’, yer Highness, but when Sunset told us ‘bout this little heart-to-heart, we thought it’d be a good idea to bear witness, just in case.” She tipped her head towards Sunset and admitted, “We failed her once. Don’t wanna do that again.”

“Or let someone else compound their own failures if we can avoid it.” Rarity turned to Sunset herself and said, “Sorry dear.”

Sunset shook her head. “It’s alright, I appreciate the worry.” She turned back to Celestia and frowned. “Still, they’re right. Celestia, you were there when I mentioned my vision in the mirror. You could have talked with me about it then. Hell, you should’ve talked with me about it then. Why didn’t you?”

Celestia looked her former pupil in the eye as tears of remorse welled up in her own, a clear struggle being made to hold them back. She finally closed them and admitted, “I don’t know. Maker help me, I…” Her eyes opened again, and the struggle ended as tears flowed down. “I wanted to, Sunset. And you’re right, I should have. But some nagging voice in the back of my head told me that I shouldn’t worry about it, that you were fine and that you’d be alright if I just left things alone. I shouldn’t have listened to it. If I had…” She wiped tears away with one wingtip and explained, “Twilight told me about what happened with Anon-A-Miss. If I’d shared the truth with you earlier, perhaps things wouldn’t have escalated as far as they did.” She eyed the Rainbooms, who had the decency to recoil in shame as she acknowledged, “It may not have prevented others from making poor choices, but it may have stopped you from coming close to taking your own life. And it might have given you a clearer head for addressing other parts of that incident.” She turned back to Sunset and added, “And perhaps even avoided you becoming as great a target for the Nightmare as you did.”

Dash snorted. “Yeah. Thanks a lot for that.”

Both Pinkie and Fluttershy shushed their friend as Sunset explained, “I’m not angry at you over the Nightmare. No way could you have known it was coming. But that’s a weak excuse, and I think you know that.”

Celestia nodded. “It is, for so many reasons. I still played a role in leaving you vulnerable and…” She wiped tears away again and tried to continue even as her voice cracked. “I almost lost you again. Forever. Twice within a few weeks because once again, I failed to do anything to stop a problem before it could grow into something terrible.” She took a breath and admitted, “I don’t know what was worse about all of that. The fact that somepony else from an entirely different part of the multiverse had to come and clean up the mess, or the fact that I couldn’t help myself.”

“And why didn’t you act to help then?” Sunset crossed her arms. “I’m better off hearing all of it. Don’t hold out on me now.”

“Two reasons, and had the second not been there, I would have still jumped in.” Celestia regained some measure of control as she explained, “I knew that even without the Tantabus that the Nightmare would poke and prod at my insecurities and fears, and that Luna was far more gifted with the magic of dreams than I was. That was the first. As for the second, well, I had another vision. It was brief, and far more straight to the point than the one I’d experienced the day I showed you the Crystal Mirror. Two words – ‘trust her’. Whether that referred to Luna or Crystal Faire, I don’t know, but that was enough reason for me to stand back. And as relieved as I am that I did so, and as glad as I am for the outcome, I still look back on what happened that day with so much shame. I failed you, and rather than taking responsibility and helping you, I sat back and allowed others to do what I should have done and fix my mistakes.” The control was lost again as she closed her eyes and admitted, “It’s a wonder you even want to speak to me.”

Sunset reached over and gently wiped more of her former mentor’s tears away. “It helps that I’ve made some pretty bad decisions myself. And that you’re at least trying not to repeat those mistakes.”

“But I fear it’s far too little and far too late.” Celestia’s eyes were regretful as she opened them and looked upon her former pupil. “Twilight has seen my mistakes first-hoof, seen me admit to my failings and my faults. She may not have acknowledged my omissions of information, but that can only last so long. I have my excuses, my reasons, but they ring hollow even to me. The fact remains that I’ve hidden the truth from her about so much. I’ve been better about opening up to her, sharing what I know and guiding her over important affairs, but it’s only a matter of time before I make another mistake, and I fail her, just as I failed you and Luna.”

Sunset frowned as she thought back to her own old fears, but kept her gaze upon her old mentor. “That might be a risk worth taking, but you and Twilight need to talk this out, and the sooner you do, the better for both of you.” She offered a half-smile and suggested, “And continuing to not repeat old mistakes is still a good idea.”

“Difficult to accomplish.”

The smile turned into a complete one. “But all the more worth it to try.”

The gathered Rainbooms smiled at Sunset’s words, and Celestia smiled herself as she considered them. “Indeed it is. Sunset, you’ve come so very far thanks to the friendships you’ve found, especially with Twilight. I’m so very proud, of all of you.” She wiped away the last of her tears with a hoof. “I just wish that a different road had been taken to get you to where you are now, and where you’re yet to go.”

“Me too, believe me.” She then smirked and added, “And there’s one thing you can take comfort in. You never gave up on me, or Luna.”

“No, I didn’t.” A sad smile remained on Celestia’s face as she considered her last thought. “Sunset, you recall the times I’ve discussed you ascending, becoming an alicorn and a princess in your own right?” Her former student nodded. “I’ve had time to think about things and reflect, and I’ve realized something. I wasn’t ready to be a princess when Star Swirl chose me. I had no right to say that you weren’t ready for such a thing either. But I think you’ll have a leg up on me when the time comes.” The smile was more confident as she finished, “And it will come. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it as many times as I need to until it happens. And hopefully, I won’t fail either of you again.”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “I won’t be the only one holding you to that.”

The alicorn nodded, then turned away and departed. The weight on her back seemed lighter, though not quite completely gone. Whether it would leave her was something that would take some time yet to come.

Once Celestia had passed through the portal back to Equestria, Rainbow Dash approached and asked, “So, how exactly are we going to hold her to all of that?”

Sunset smirked and pulled her smartphone from her jacket pocket, then idly tapped the screen. “Me recording that entire conversation might help.” She turned back to face her friends as she explained, “Something tells me Quiver won’t be the last to hear my story and find the holes in it. Plus, Celestia might need reminding in case she messes up again.”

“Do you think she knew you were going to record her?”

The former unicorn shrugged as she got back to her feet. “I’d be shocked if she didn’t at least suspect it.” She regarded her friends. “Guys, you didn’t have to come in here like you did.”

Applejack took off her hat and admitted, “Actually, Ah think we did. Like Ah said sugarcube, we failed ya. Don’t wanna do that again.”

Sunset nodded, then gently claimed Applejack’s hat and set it back on her head. “You’re not. Thanks.”

-

Back at the party grounds, Quiver found himself seated off to one side with a weary smile upon his face. It remained as many of his friends and quite a few acquaintances he’d made approached, with Flash Sentry being the first to speak. “You look like how so many of us felt in Canterlot after the royal wedding.”

The stallion chuckled. “I wouldn’t go that far.”

“I dunno Quivs, that smile might be tired but there’s a glimmer of pride in those eyes.” Sunrunner sat down beside him with a smile all her own. “We all heard what you said to Primrose.”

“Not a word of it was false.”

“True, but I’m not happy about what you said. I’m happy that you said it.” She wrapped a wing about his shoulders. “You never did anything like that back in school.”

“Back then, I didn’t have much.” He looked to her with a grin. “What I did have was good, but now?” He lifted his head and looked upon those gathered around him, ponies and a dragon and all of them friends or at least respectful acquaintances. “Now I’ve got faith. That I’m not alone, and that ponies won’t just abandon me. I’ve always been afraid that someday, I’d make a mistake and those I held close would toss me away in disgust. Say the wrong thing, make the wrong move, whatever.”

“Real friends, the folks who love you, don’t do that, sugarcube.” Applejack nodded her head towards Fluttershy and admitted, “Plenty a’ times where me an’ the gals’ve disagreed over somethin’, an’ it took a lot more’n that to tear us apart. You’re a part of that now, Quiver, an’ don’t pretend otherwise.”

“And friend or no, we swore an oath.” Silver Bullet stood tall alongside his fellow Royal Guardsponies and recited, “To stand for Equestria, for its citizens, and for each other. Pix and I weren’t about to just stand by while some thugs were threatening anyone.”

Pixie Dust smiled. “That we were helping an old war buddy’s coltfriend and another old war buddy’s cousin was a bonus.” She then turned to Sunrunner with a smirk. “So how soon before the wedding, Warbler? Rarity’s gonna need time to measure all those dresses for the bridesmares.”

Sour Sweet rolled her eyes. “Don’t rush them, Boo. Let them have a few dates first.”

“Speaking of, this does raise an important question.” Quiver turned to Sunrunner and asked, “When can I see you again?”

“Well, assuming nopony minds.” Heads turned to a blushing Twilight. “Flash and I already made arrangements for a dinner date in Canterlot in a couple weeks. Maybe we can turn it into a double date?”

Flash shrugged. “I don’t mind, though Quiver might want to get his suit cleaned a little before then.”

Quiver looked over his beaten-up suit and laughed. “Well, that’s not too difficult.”

“And I’m not about to turn down a dinner with a princess, or with my friends.” Sunrunner grinned at her old comrade and admitted, “And this’ll be a good chance for me to catch up, congratulate you, tease you, expect a ‘thank you’.”

Flash cocked an eyebrow. “For what? I don’t owe you anything.”

“What about that post in the Crystal Empire?”

The pegasus laughed. “Oh don’t you dare start saying I have you to thank for meeting Twilight! You turned down that post all on your own, and nothing that happened after that was thanks to you!”

Quiver smirked. “He’s got you there, Runnie.”

“Hey!” Sunrunner smirked as she gave her coltfriend a playful smack with one hoof. “Whose side are you on?”

The gathered ponies laughed a bit at the playful bickering before them, one joining them as a familiar alicorn joined them. “I wouldn’t press your luck too much, Quiver Quill. Sometimes a joke can go a little too far.”

Twilight looked up at her hopefully. “Did everything go okay?”

“I think so, yes.” Celestia turned to Sunrunner with some regret. “Lieutenant, I fear there are still some issues to work out with your family. The last time I saw your aunt, she was less than happy with me, and rightfully so.”

“With all due respect, your Highness, I don’t think I can pressure her to speak with you.”

“I’m not asking you to do so. I’ll find the time to see her soon enough. But I hope that you’ll be willing to accept a ride back to Canterlot.”

Sunrunner smiled. “That I can agree to.” She then turned to Quiver. “You’ll handle the wait, right?”

“Hey, I waited how many years between then and now?” The smile faded as his expression turned darker. “Besides, I’ll have plenty to keep me occupied before then, and afterwards.”

Twilight beamed and looked up at Celestia. “Quiver’s offered to help with my research into certain projects.”

“Not just that.” Quiver looked up with a grim look as he reasoned, “Primrose might have stepped in it today, but her family has wealth and connections, and that’s enough to cover up a lot of sins. Sooner or later, she’ll clear out of that, and make another stab at me. When that comes, I need to be ready.” He turned to his cousin and said, “Sour, can you teach me how to fight?”

Sour Sweet smirked. “Don’t expect it to be easy.”

“Nothing that’s worth it ever is.”

Author's Note:

I offer my sincerest apologies to those who were fans of the episode Appleoosa's Most Wanted. However, the way my storyline's shaping up, it had to get retconned out. Troubleshoes is better off, though.