• Published 21st Aug 2018
  • 839 Views, 11 Comments

DayBreaker's Fall, Celestia's Rebirth - KnuxChangeling



DayBreaker is the one who wants day eternal, Luna wants balance.

  • ...
1
 11
 839

Chapter 3: DayBreaker

Celestia walked toward the balcony that faced the east, eyes half closed in some sort of daze. She did not sleep well last night, the nightmare she had feeling all too real. She had woken up multiple times to see if she had indeed changed into the monster of flame. When she found she was still her, she would attempt to go back to sleep. That attempt would fail, just like the ones after it. Still, she woke up at the crack of dawn to start the sunrise. It was her duty and she knew that she had to keep doing it in order to bring harmony. Harmony, such a funny word. For her ponies, and Luna, harmony meant balance, safety. For Celestia it used to mean that, but as she grew, the word started to change for her. It felt like ash on her tongue and she found that it's much more limiting than she believed.

Celestia arrived at the east balcony and lit up her horn. She didn't notice the red crackle of electricity that was there for just a moment as she did so. The sun started to peek out from the horizon, slowly rising. She set it on course to rise on its own until noon and walked back into the castle. She could barely see straight but she knew the castle well enough to make it back to her chambers. She plopped face first into her pillow and instantly passed out. She would worry about everything else when it was time.


Celestia woke not to the blinding sun, but the lack of it. She opened her eyes seeing......night sky? What? She blinked a couple of times, her eyesight clearing until she saw feathers and an ethereal blue mane dotted with stars. Celestia groaned and rolled over.

"What do you want Luna", Celestia managed to croak.

"You are going to miss breakfast sister", Luna said, "Hurry and get ready. I will be waiting outside."

Celestia heard the clip clopping of hooves exiting the room and the closing of the door. She groaned and rolled out of bed before heading to the bathroom. She was so tired, but she will wake up more when she got a bit of sun in her. The sun for her was more like an energy source, something vital to her every day. She liked it that way too.

Celestia walked out of the bathroom when she was done and levitated her regalia and golden horseshoes out from the large dark brown chest at the foot of her bed. She never really cared for the regalia, never even thought she needed it. Her mere presence was enough to keep ponies in line and to have them pay her respects. Still, Celestia put it on and walked out the door. The guards saluted as she walked by. Celestia smiled at each of them as she headed to the dining hall where Luna was waiting. Luna already had a plate in front of her, pancakes by the look of it. If Celestia looked closer, she could see that the fruit and whipped cream on top was arranged into a face. Celestia giggled as she sat next to her sister, a similar plate of pancakes already waiting for her wrapped in Luna's soft blue aura.

"Ah there you are sister", Luna stated, "I've kept your food warm for you."

"Thank you", Celestia said, picking up her fork, "Sorry for taking so long."

Luna waved a hoof dismissively, "Worry not."

Celestia started eating, a small smile on her face but deep down, she felt tension rolling off of Luna. Something was wrong.


Celestia sat on her throne looking at Luna who stood in front of her. Celestia already had an annoyed look on her face.

"I'm giving you want you want", Luna said, starting to pace.

"But that's only part of what I want", Celestia said, stamping a hoove on the ground, "I want it to last longer than a mere 12 hours."

"Not everything can survive at certain times", Luna said, "A Summer Solstice would make more sense since it's in the summer. Most things are planed during that time AND they require more sun at that point and time."

Celestia was growing tired of this. She got up from her throne and walked toward Luna, her face turning into that of a stone statue. She started circling Luna, like a predator stalking its prey. Luna watched with wary eyes and frowned when she saw a flicker of orange overtake the normal magenta of her sister's eyes. Luna didn't like where this was going already.

"Why so tense sister", Celestia asked, her voice dripping with venom, "Why do you suddenly act this way? Are you afraid of what the sun may bring for our subjects?"

"I only fear what you may become with this", Luna said, eyes still on her sister. "I am afraid of the consequences that will follow. There can't be too much of a good thing, lest it make you sick."

Celestia snorted and got in Luna's face, "Are you saying that I am sick in the mind Luna?"

Luna backed up a step, her eyes widening at the sudden harshness of Celestia's tone. Luna then took a deep breath and stood her ground.

"No sister", Luna sighed, "I'm saying that you're not thinking logically because emotions on this matter are clouding your thinking. I've seen in your nightmares what this would lead to."

Celestia's eyes suddenly narrowed. "So you knew that I was suffering and you have done NOTHING?!"

Celestia's voice shook the entire room as she ended the sentence in the Royal Canterlot Voice. Luna flinched back at the sudden volume and stepped back. This was getting out of hand and she had to reign it it.

"I wanted to see how it played out", Luna said, "I couldn't do much of anything anyway."

"What is that supposed to mean", Celestia asked, her voice now dangerously low.

"You're too set in your ways sister", Luna said, her voice growing in confidence, "You're blind to what blessings I'm giving you. I'm giving you the blessing in an hours long day, longer than normal."

"I am the oldest", Celestia hissed, "I don't need your blessing."

Celestia was getting unnervingly close and her eyes.....her eyes....they were orange. The orange of a raging flame, the orange of DayBreaker.

"You're right", Luna said, trying to calm her sister down, "What we need is harmony between everything."

"Harmony", Celestia hissed, scowling. "Harmony, ash on my tongue. That word is so limiting, it limits all of us. It limits me."

"There is a greater freedom in harmony than one can ever believe", Luna said with a steely resolve.

Their gazes met, sharp as daggers. Electricity could be felt in the air as the two alicorns dug into the power they had and brung it to the surface. Luna held back some and was the first to speak.

"If you don't accept the offer then your plans will not go on", Luna said, starting to turn away.

That was a mistake. A beam of red and orange magic hit her in her side, sending her careening into the far wall. Luna stood slowly and whirled around at her sister, or....what was her sister. The alicorn that stood there now was an alicorn of flame. Her mane and tail was a raging fire, she was adorned in red and gold armor that covered her wings, chest, head and hooves. The head piece had a blood red jewel in the center that seemed to glow with a life of its own. Her eyes.....those eyes....so full of hatred and anger, where honed in on Luna, dead set on ending the blue alicorn's life.

"C-Celestia", Luna asked. Her voice was heavy with fear, hope and concern.

"Celestia", the armor adorned alicorn asked, "I'm not Celestia. I am wrath and flame incarnate! I am DAYBREAKER! And I am your doom!"

Luna's eyes widened as she dodged another beam and charged her own horn. This wasn't her sister, there wasn't even a shred of her left in this new alicorn. This was DayBreaker, and Luna was afraid not only for her life, but for her ponies lives as well. Luna ran toward DayBreaker, a battle cry ripping from her throat as she fired a beam.

This will be a battle that no one will know the end to.