• Published 9th Dec 2011
  • 2,561 Views, 26 Comments

Repercussions - The Usurper



When Twilight discovers a new spell that allows anypony to take a peek into the future, all her frie

  • ...
5
 26
 2,561

Repercussions Ch.3: Conspiracy

The draconequus’ voice seemed to echo out of nowhere. Applejack’s host looked around frantically, searching for him. In an attempt to keep him distracted, her host began speaking. “I knew you were behind this, Discord! Show yourself!”

A figure emerged from behind the throne. Applejack’s host whirled around, prepared to fight. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the little mouse scurry away to the throne room doors. She turned around, relieved, and came face-to-face with a grinning Discord.

“Boo.”

“Ahh!” Applejack’s future self stumbled backwards, trying to regain her composure. Discord, in the meantime, began to laugh.

“You should have seen the look on your face! Priceless!” Discord laughed harder when he saw an annoyed Applejack glaring at him.

“Ha ha ha, very funny.” Applejack’s host, clearly irritated, decided that she wanted some answers. “Why isn’t everything cotton candy clouds and spindly-legged animals by now?”

Discord chuckled. “You have no idea how upset everypony gets when it starts raining chocolate. I miss the old Pinkie Pie.” He sighed. “I have to hang back and let Twilight handle everything, else the villagers come chasing after me.”

“Then where’s Twilight? What have you done to her?”

Discord’s eyes grew wide in realisation. “After all this time, you still care about her? Twilight the tyrant? Twilight the torturer? Twilight the terrible?”

Future Applejack drew up to her full height, which really wasn’t very high when compared to Discord. “The real Twilight’s somewhere in there, and I’m going to break her free!”

Discord shook his head. “You should know that I’ve grown more powerful over the years. Not only have I removed the unfortunate greying effect of my spell, nopony has ever broken free of being ‘Discordified’.”

Applejack’s host scratched her head in confusion. “Even I know there’s no such word as ‘discordified’.”

“Of course there is!” Discord exclaimed. He snapped his fingers, and a blue book labelled The Spirit of Disharmony’s Complete Dictionary appeared before Applejack in a flash. The book’s pages flipped by until it came to ‘E’, where, strangely enough, ‘discordified’ was written.

‘Discordfied,’ it read. ‘definition: removal of one’s virtue through forced physical, verbal or spiritual interaction with Discord.’

“See?” Discord said.

Applejack’s host retained the confused look.

The draconequus’ face finally grew serious. “Well, explanations aside, it’s time to get down to business. APPLEJACK!” A few flashes of lightning flashed across the room theatrically from the cotton candy clouds that had appeared. Applejack’s host quivered under the now sinister face that loomed in front of her. “You have resisted for far too long, but now, you must pay for your crimes!”

“What crimes?” Future Applejack protested. “I haven’t done anything wrong!”

Discord sneered. “Of course you have.” He leaned closer. “You turned me to stone.”

Applejack’s future self stepped back, retreating from the powerful deity that hovered before her. “Well, it’s time to begin.” Discord said. He flew closer, retaining the menacing look. When he was within range, he tapped Applejack’s future self on the head.

Instantly, Applejack felt a familiar numbing feeling from head to hooves, feeling a now-invisible force of chaos sweep through every fibre of her ethereal being. She could practically see her honesty slipping away beyond her grasp, disappearing from sight. It was all over within seconds, and now she felt obligated to lie.

Discord, now seeming uncertain, asked Future Applejack, “Well, do you feel any different?”

She answered, “No. Is it over yet?”

Discord’s smug expression switched to a thoughtful one. “It seems you have learnt to resist my chaos magic now. No matter, if I can’t corrupt you, I will kill you.”

A sharpened sword appeared in the air in front of Discord. He grabbed it, ready to strike Applejack’s future self down. She, in turn, raised her sword to deflect the blow.

A multitude of hoofsteps echoing into the chamber caused Discord to pause.

“It seems that somepony is here. I’ll just have to take care of you later.”

Discord released a flash of light that temporarily blinded Applejack. When her vision returned to normal, the draconequus was gone.

The sound of hoofsteps grew louder. The clinking of armour betrayed the presence of royal guards. Applejack’s host spun around with her sword at the ready, prepared to fight.

The door was flung open in a regal display of power, and Twilight accompanied by six earth pony guards stepped into the throne room.

****

Twilight’s host’s amassed magical energy slammed the door open, and the sight of a lone royal guard in the centre of the room greeted her eyes.

But Twilight was no foal. She could tell who the pony was behind that façade, and if she could, there was no doubt that her future self was able to as well.

“Kill her.” Twilight’s host commanded.

The guards hesitated, clearly apprehensive of attacking one of their own. “Your Highness?”

“Do as I say!” Future Twilight snapped. “She is an impostor!”

Hearing this, the guards surged forward, swords pointed towards the rogue guard dangerously. Applejack held her sword at a defensive angle, preferring to wound rather than kill.

When the wave of guards came within range, Applejack spun around unexpectedly and bucked the lead guard full in the chest with her armoured hind hooves. Twilight’s host dodged nimbly as the unlucky pony was flung out of the room and into a window. Shattering under the pressure, the glass carved wounds on the pony’s coat before he cleared the obstacle and landed on the ground below with a sickening thud. A collective gasp originating from the palace battlements followed. Twilight heard Applejack gulp audibly.

The remaining five guards wisely kept their distance from Applejack as she bobbed and weaved, slashing at the air around her to create a defensive web that effectively kept invaders at bay. The guards circled around her, trying to find an opening, but to no avail.

Hoping for some luck, one of the guards stabbed his sword at Applejack’s abdomen. The farmer pony deflected the hit, but she paused long enough for another guard to smash her helmet with his sword. Applejack stumbled dizzily, unable to keep up the defence.

Sensing an opportunity, two of the guards leapt forward simultaneously, swinging their swords in a strike that would have decapitate Applejack had she not ducked swiftly. Her forehoof smashed into the jaw of one of them, causing him to collapse on the ground, quivering. Applejack then grabbed the hooves of the other, and using his momentum against him, flung him onto the slowly recuperating guard. Both ceased to move instantly.

The remainder decided to stop fooling around and attacked en masse. Applejack slashed her sword at one, creating a deep gash across his right foreleg. He stumbled and fell, giving a grunt of pain as he did so. The other two, however, reached their target and sliced at her relentlessly.

Applejack growled as a sword nicked her shoulder, then her neck. Twilight’s host watched in satisfaction as the farmer pony finally sustained some injuries. The deadly slashes of the royal guards opened up numerous wounds across her body. Applejack tried to escape the slowly closing net, but every time she tried, the weapons of the guards blocked her way.

Finally, she had no choice but to turn tail and run. The guards pursued her, but it was a short chase to the wall that blocked Applejack’s way.

The doomed earth pony watched the guards approach, swords directed at her neck. Suddenly, she jumped at the wall and used all four legs to push herself off it, directing her helmeted head at the face of one of her assailants.

A sickening crunch was heard as the guard’s face crumpled under the brunt of the rock-hard metal. Crimson blood pooled on the ground as he howled in agony. Applejack, noticing his companion’s surprise, took the opportunity to buck the guard with all she had.

The notoriously tough marble of the throne room wall actually cracked when the guard was flung into it. The cracking of bones echoed around the room. The sudden silence was only broken by the moans of the wounded.

Having dispatched all of her opponents, Applejack slowly advanced on Twilight’s host, her sword held tightly in her mouth.

“Ish o’er Twilight. I de’eated your guads. Now suwender.”

Twilight’s future self raised her hooves in mock surrender. “You’ve got me now. Whatever shall I do?”

“’hath’s righd. Now gi’e u’!”The sarcasm was lost on Applejack.

Out of the blue, a pink blur from the ceiling descended onto the hapless earth pony. Applejack’s host yelped in surprise and dropped her sword. The pink mare immediately kicked the sword away, allowing it to clatter across the floor and come to a stop at the far end of the room. The now-unarmed Applejack tried to take advantage of her superior strength and put her extremely powerful buck to use on the pink pony, but she missed as Pinkamena easily dodged to the side and loosed a barrage of punches to the jaw and chest that left Applejack’s host dazed. She tried to hit back, and amidst the flurry of blows she unleashed, one lucky shot hit the assassin in the face. Applejack took the opportunity to buck her, and she went flying across the room.

Pinkamena turned the out of control tumble into a regulated spin that landed her on the side of the wall. Pinkamena bounced off the wall with little effort and caught Applejack’s host in a flying tackle. Now it was the orange pony’s turn to be pushed back. The impact with the far wall knocked the air out of her lungs. Before she knew it, Pinkamena was on her again, beating her into submission. Every blow was more vicious than the last.

Applejack flailed wildly, trying to deflect the blows that the relentless assassin rained down onto her. She managed to sneak a punch or two past Pinkamena’s defences, but they were so weak that the pink earth pony didn’t even respond to the assault. Instead, the speed of the blows increased, hammering at every injured part of Applejack’s body, doubling, then tripling the pain.

At last, when Applejack’s entire being had been turned into a swollen mess, Pinkamena decided that she had had enough fun, and elected to end it. She directed several blows at the orange pony’s neck and torso, applying pressure to vital points on her body. Applejack teetered for a few moments, trying to stand up, but to no avail. She toppled over, paralysed.

Twilight’s host stomped her hooves. “Excellent job. Just as I taught you. One does not need a weapon to triumph in a fight.”

“Thank you, Princess.” Pinkamena executed a short bow.

A contingent of identical royal guards announced their presence via the terrible din they made as they rushed into the room. “Is there a problem, Your Highness?” the commander asked. “We heard a commotion and feared for your life. I-”

The commander stopped talking when he caught sight of the gruesome scene before him.

Twilight’s host, noticing he had spaced out, coughed pointedly. “Ahem.”

The commander snapped back to attention. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Take care of those guards and arrest that mare dressed in royal guard armour immediately. She is an impostor and is to be charged with treason. Have I made myself clear?”

The commander saluted smartly. “Crystal clear, Your Highness.”

One of the commander’s escorts gestured to Pinkamena and whispered something to him.

“Your Highness,” the commander said, “what should we do with the pink mare?”

Twilight’s future self did not falter. “She will be accompanying me in the guest suite next to my bedroom, as she is to be treated as you would treat me. Understood?”

“Your wish is my command.” The commander responded automatically.

“Good.” Future Twilight trotted towards her bedroom. “Begin now.”

Every single one of the guards knew exactly what would happen if they disappointed their Princess. Thus, the moment Twilight said ‘begin’, the throne room was filled with ponies moving and working at speeds that would make Rainbow Dash look like a tortoise. In no time at all, the bodies were gone, Applejack was being carried away in chains, Pinkamena was in the midst of trying to reject an escort to her newly-outfitted guest room, and amazingly, even the crack in the wall and the window was fixed.

Twilight’s host had not even rounded the corner yet.

Turning back, she addressed the troops. “Good job. However, your work is far from over, commander. I have another task for you.”

The commander snapped to attention. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

“I need you to distribute flyers across Equestria.” Twilight’s host told him.

“Flyers, O Sovereign?” The commander sounded dubious.

“Yes, flyers. I need to alert the populace about the event that will soon be happening in Canterlot.”

“If I may be so bold, Your Highness, there are no major events scheduled anytime soon.” The commander protested.

“There is one now.”

****

Fluttershy found her host squeezed in between the dozens of ponies that were gathered in the town square, reading the notice that had been put up. It was written in neat hoofwriting and stamped with the royal seal, which denoted its importance.

Equestrians:

Her Royal Highness, Princess Twilight of Equestria, has declared that three days from now, an execution of the traitor Applejack who tried to take the Princess’ life will be held. She wishes that all Equestrians attend the execution and spread the word of what happens to ponies who commit treason.

Signed,

The Royal Diplomat, Peace Maker

The majority of the comments by the ponies surrounding Fluttershy’s host cursed the Princess instead of the traitor.

“I feel sorry for that poor pony.”

“At least somepony has the guts to stand up to this tyranny.”

“She just raised the taxes again!”

“At this rate, we’ll run out of bits and starve to death!”

Fluttershy’s host smiled. Fluttershy also remembered what had happened when the guards came asking for taxes.

****

2 Days Earlier

A rapid knocking on her door caused Fluttershy’s host to look up from the novel she was reading. Fluttershy herself was glad for the distraction; between pondering the events of the past few days and paying attention to the steamy romance novel her host was reading that would put Rarity’s to shame, she couldn’t decide which was worse.

Her host got up and trotted to the door. Opening it revealed a burly royal guard with bulging saddlebags. He stood a whole head taller than Fluttershy’s host, but she didn’t seem intimidated in the least.

“Taxes have been raised to twenty-five percent of your salary, miss. Please hand over the appropriate amount.”

Fluttershy’s host stared him straight in the eye. “I don’t need to.”

The guard blinked. “Excuse me?”

“I nurse wild animals back to help, and I hardly think they can pay me any bits whatsoever. I depend completely on the goodwill of others, and thus I do not have a salary.”

The guard blinked in disbelief again. “But-”

Fluttershy’s host hit him with the most ferocious Stare she had ever used. “I. Don’t. Have. A SALARY!”

The guard backpedalled hastily. “Um, ok miss, I get the point BYE!” Abandoning all his discipline, the stallion fled along the path, trying to get away from the Stare.

Fluttershy’s host returned to the couch and flipped the romance novel open again.

‘After this,’ Fluttershy thought, ‘I think I’d rather read the novel.’

****

When Fluttershy finally realised that she had spaced out and snapped back to reality, her host was already on the way back to her cottage to prepare for the journey.

Meanwhile in another part of Ponyville, a certain white unicorn trotted around Carousel Boutique, trying to restore her face to the perfect epitome of beauty it was previously.

“I cannot believe what she did! She ruined my face! My beautiful, beautiful face!” Rarity watched her host fuss over her face, all her actions clear by the mirror that hung on the wall before her. Her nose was now bent at an odd angle and black eyes marred her face. Dozens of beauty products floated in the air, surrounded by a blue aura. Rarity’s host kept them circling around her head, eyeing each one in turn before allowing it to pass out of her focus.

“She just- I- she- aaahhh!” All of the beauty products fell to the ground instantly when Rarity’s host lost her concentration. “I have to find her! She will pay for what she did to me! Where did she say she was going?”

Rarity’s host strode over to her bedside table and pulled the drawer open, revealing a solitary note that lay in the otherwise empty drawer.

Rarity,

I will be going to Canterlot for a few days. Please forgive me for what I did. I had no choice.

Pinkamena

“Canterlot, is it? I will go there, and I will kill her! She will pay for what she has done!” Rarity’s future self began to pack her belongings in diamond-studded saddlebags. “But first, there is something I have been putting off for far too long.”

Telekinetically opening her cupboard at the far side of the room, she floated out a mess of silvery-blue metal shards, along with a few jewels and a hammer.

“That sword I made for Pinkamena deserves a counterpart.”

****

Rainbow’s host flew through her room, packing her saddlebags full of the apples she had swiped from Sweet Apple Acres.

“Applejack is being executed? I can’t wait to go and rub all the apples I swiped into her face as a last sight! This is gonna be priceless! Where’s my Wonderbolt uniform?”

****

3 Days Later

Rainbow’s host stood in the line to the Canterlot gates, waiting for her turn to be checked by the guards before she could be let through. Clad in her impressive Wonderbolt uniform, she could hear the murmurs of amazement that the other ponies close to her uttered while looking at her with expressions full of awe. Rainbow’s host ignored them, and tapped her hoof on the ground impatiently. Finally tired of the long wait, she flew out of the line and forward to the guards.

“Next!” one of the guards shouted. Rainbow’s future self plunked herself right where the next pony was about to step. The guards’ eyes grew wide when they recognised her.

“R-Rainbow Dash?” The first one asked.

“The one and only!” Future Rainbow Dash posed proudly. “Now are you going to let me through, or am I going to wait here all day?”

“Of course!” Both guards moved aside.

Rainbow’s host raised an eyebrow. “Of course I’m going to wait here?”

“No! Of course you can go in.” Rainbow trotted in, ignoring the huge crowd of pegasi trying to copy her antics and cut queue, causing chaos throughout the line.

****

Applejack’s host looked up from inside the cell she had occupied for the past two days when she heard the familiar clinking noise of approaching guards. ‘They’re prob’ly just here ta torment me or spit on me.’ Applejack thought. ‘It’s not like they hav’nt done that yet.’

The empty bowl that had contained her last meal lay on the floor, every last scrap of the tiny portions they gave her consumed. It wasn’t nearly enough to keep her hunger satiated.

Soon, two unicorn guards clad in full armour appeared, one fumbling with the key as he unlocked her cell.

“Get up and get out prisoner.” One said gruffly.

Applejack was glad to leave the dark, damp and dreary jail cell. Anywhere at to be better than there.

As soon as she had stepped out, one of the guards chained her up with the bunch of chains he had been levitating out of sight.

When she was fully restrained and had to be floated around by the unicorns, Applejack’s host asked, “Where are we going?”

One of the guards snorted. “You’ll find out soon enough.”

Applejack did not like the sound of that.

****

Future Twilight had positioned the sun so that the sky turned red, creating just the right morbid atmosphere that suited the execution that was about to take place. Twilight watched the large crowd that had amassed in the town square through her host’s eyes. There was a makeshift wooden stage erected in the city square, and it was topped by a very vicious-looking guillotine, its blade purposely steeped in blood before the execution to remind everypony that the one who was being killed could very well be them, should they choose to disobey her.

Twilight’s future self stood on the balcony behind the stage, a very serious-looking Pinkamena by her side. The pink mare held her head high. Her sword was strapped to her side, but she was ready to whip it out at a moment’s notice.
Twilight’s host once again checked the clock tower that stood proudly behind the crowd, out of their sight, but since she was facing them, the clock face was clear to her. She quietly counted down the seconds left before the official ceremony began.

“Five… four… three… two… one…”

The sudden deep chiming of the clock tower reverberated throughout the square, quietening the restless crowd. Taking his cue, Peace Maker stepped forward, horn aglow, and cleared his throat. At the same time, two fully-armoured unicorn guards stepped forward, towing a heavily chained Applejack forward with their magic. Applejack audibly gulped when she laid eyes on the bloody executioner’s weapon.

“Fillies and gentlecolts!” Peace Maker began, his voice amplified by the spell he had cast. “You are gathered here today to witness the death of a treasonous rat who dared to make an attempt on the Princess’ life. This is a reminder to all of you that should you try to execute such a ridiculous plan, you will all be heavily punished.” The unicorn levitating Applejack lowered her neck onto the slot designed to accommodate ponies’ throats.

“Hah! I stole all your apples! Your hard work! Your-” Rainbow Dash couldn’t resist trying to rub salt in the farmer pony’s wound.

“Quiet, you!” Peace Maker barked at the Wonderbolt somewhere in the midst of the crowd. “You will all remember just who this pony is and what she did.” Peace Maker continued, pretending that nothing had happened. “For remember, if you dare to disagree with the Princess, this could be you!” The last word echoed around the city square, causing almost all present to wince.

Peace Maker turned to Twilight, his eyes voicing the unspoken question: Now?

Future Twilight nodded briefly.

Peace Maker spoke to the guards, but his voice was loud enough for everypony to hear. “Do it.”

One guard used his magic to restrain Applejack, while the other prepared to tug the rope that would send the blade crashing down onto the farmer pony’s neck and end her life gruesomely.

Just as the guard was about to pull the rope, a very loud voice from her right screamed, “TWILIGHT!”

Everypony present turned towards the noise. Twilight’s host did too, and Twilight was able to spot a faded silhouette of a pony standing on one of the walls surrounding the city square. But before she was able to discern who it was, she heard the sickening squelch of the guillotine blade severing pony flesh, and the world faded into darkness.

‘Thank Celestia I’m finally getting out of this,’ Twilight thought. 'I can’t wait to get back to the library.’

Twilight patiently waited for the feeling of the magic draining from her horn to stop. After a minute or so, the flow still hadn’t been interrupted. Twilight began to grow worried. ‘Maybe I have to stop the flow manually,' she contemplated. Deciding to abide by the idiom, 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained', Twilight concentrated on her horn, willing the flow of magic to cease.

The moment the connection was severed, the inky darkness gave way to a very familiar whiteness that caused Twilight to lose consciousness.

****

When Twilight’s eyes finally opened, she was frozen with shock. The sky was still red, the guillotine was still there, and Peace Maker was still making his speech. Nothing had changed!

“Oh no.” She breathed.

Twilight froze again when she realised what had just happened.

She had talked.

By herself.

She was in control of her own body!

It was only then that she realised that she was at the front of the silent crowd that was watching Applejack’s execution. She wore a dark lavender cloak that concealed her features.

“You will remember just who this pony is and what she has done.” Peace Maker was saying. “For remember, if you dare to disagree with the Princess, this could be you!” Twilight cringed at the last word.

Peace Maker turned to the now-Princess Twilight, silently requesting permission. She nodded her head, and Peace Maker turned back to the waiting crowd.

“Do it.” He told the guards.

Twilight knew just what was going to happen next. Just as she had turned her head to glance in that direction, the mysterious pony ascended the building from behind and shouted, “TWILIGHT!”

Everypony turned then, and Twilight tried to determine the pony’s identity, but to no avail. It was too dark, and the pony wore a cloak that protected her features from prying eyes, just like her. But unlike hers, the unknown pony’s cloak was half white, half dark blue, and a symbol of the sun and the moon were emblazoned on their respective colours.

The reason why Twilight looked away was as much to identify the mysterious pony as to avoid looking at the gory scene that she was sure existed on the wooden stage. She winced when she heard the blade slice through Applejack’s throat, and for a moment she hoped that she would be spirited back to the library.

No such luck. By now, she had a pretty good idea of how she got here.

Princess Twilight roared in anger, obviously furious that an intruder had managed to find a way into the heavily guarded zone. “SEIZE THAT PONY!”

A dozen pegasus guards emerged from their posts and rushed onto the roof to counter the unexpected threat. In the chaos that followed, Twilight tried to worm her way through the panicky crowd and find her friends. Easier said than done, though. The odds that she would locate her friends within this vast square were quite minimal. Twilight turned back in time to see Pinkamena disappear from the Princess’ balcony and into the palace itself.

Twilight was just about to give up on finding her friends when a mare in a dark pink cloak bowled her over by bouncing into her.

“Gee there you are Twilight I was hoping I would find you. I mean, when Applejack- I mean, Future Applejack- died, all I saw was black, but then suddenly it all turned white, and then next thing I knew, I found myself back here! And then I thought, hey! Twilight must know why! And then I came and found you.”

“Why? What? How? Argh…” Twilight reminded herself silently never to try and explain Pinkie’s energetic behaviour. “But aren’t you even the slightest bit fazed by Future Applejack’s death? At all? Even the slightest, tiniest little bit?”

“Nope! I know that all this is a bad future, and all I have to do when I get back to our own time is to not do the wrong things! Duh!”

“Well-“ Before Twilight could continue, Pinkie grabbed her by the tail and dragged her off to find the others.

Twilight immediately realised that didn’t enjoy being dragged along by her tail, especially while the pony doing the dragging was bouncing up and down like a pogo stick, so she yanked her tail away from Pinkie. The party pony gave a short yelp of surprise before she tripped and fell face-first into the mud. Twilight managed to get a small head start before Pinkie got up and headed towards her.

“Hey Twilight! I know where Rainbow Dash is! Hey Dashie!” After she had voiced her motive, Pinkie Pie did a 180 degrees turn in the air and hopped off away from Twilight, and she had to hurry to catch up the hyperactive pink pony. Weaving through the crowd, she soon caught sight of Pinkie and a pony wearing a dark blue cloak. Unfortunately for that pony, Pinkie had her forelegs wrapped around her and was squeezing the living daylights out of her.

"Oh my gosh Dashie I was so worried for you when we all appeared back here and then-”

Rainbow was gasping, trying to reel in some much-needed breaths of air. “I was so worried about you too Pinkie now can you please let go because I CAN’T BREATHE.”

“Oops! Sorry!” Pinkie released the choking pegasus and bounded over to Twilight.

“Hey Twilight! I found Rainbow Dash! Hey look, there’s Fluttershy over there!” Pinkie Pie suddenly disappeared from sight again. Twilight trotted over to help Rainbow stand on her own four feet.

“Thanks, Twilight.” Rainbow Dash finally managed to stand up without anypony’s assistance. “Hey, have you seen Applejack?”

“We were just getting to that,” Twilight assured her. “Or at least Pinkie Pie is.”

Upon hearing her name, the pink earth pony bounced back into view, dragging a pink tail that led into a dark yellow cloak. The pony within appeared to be whimpering in fright.

“Fluttershy, there you are! I was so worried for you! I-” Pinkie Pie did not appear to be slowed down at all by the pony she dragged behind her.

“Pinkie, please be more careful with Fluttershy.” Twilight wasn’t sure whether the timid yellow pegasus was ready for Pinkie’s brand of hyperactive greetings.

“Okie-dokie-lokie!”

“Right! Now we just need to find Applejack and Rarity, then we can-”

“I’m right here, darling.” A pony covered by a grey cloak trudged into view, trying to shake off the mud that had accumulated at her hooves. “This dirt is so terribly stubborn. It takes forever for it to get off my hooves!” She gave them another experimental shake, but the mud clung to them.

Twilight was surprised. She thought Pinkie was the only one who could bend odds to her favour. “How did you find us?”

“My gem-finding spell led me here, but I don’t know why. Do you?”

Twilight examined her cloak. When she looked down at her neck, she noticed a silvery metallic clasp. The clasp had a purple gemstone embedded in it.

“It must be this.” Twilight used her hoof to hold the jewel up. “I can’t help but wonder where these cloaks came from?”

“Ooh! Another mystery! I can’t wait to see how this story turns out!” Pinkie clapped her hooves together in excitement.

“Pinkie, what are you talking about? This isn’t a story!” Twilight had had enough of Pinkie’s idiosyncrasies, and she tried to think of other things and ignore the faint throbbing in her head that she had received from trying to figure the pink pony out again.

“Whatever you say, Twilight.”

“Great. Now that that’s done, we just need to find Applejack.”

As if on cue, a shout rose among the crowd. “The traitor escaped! Get her!”

Twilight turned towards the source of the noise and caught sight of the orange pony trying to fend off five pegasi armed with swords at once. An abandoned dark orange cloak lay on the ground next to her, and she was bucking at her attackers for all she was worth. There were many ponies gathered around the scene, murmuring under their breaths and wondering how Applejack had escaped from the execution. Some of them were turning around, looking at the wooden stage where the farmer pony should have died. Twilight instinctively turned her head in that direction, and then immediately wished she hadn’t.

Extremely gory was the only phrase to describe it. The decapitated head rested on the platform, oozing out blood as it did so. The spurt of blood that Twilight was sure occurred had ended, leaving a few points where the blood dripped from the stump of her neck, reddening the wood.

“Applejack!” Rainbow’s shout snapped Twilight out of her dazed state. Rainbow Dash tried to run to Applejack’s rescue, but Twilight recovered just in time to hold her back, using her body to block the enraged pony. Rarity assisted her, restraining Rainbow by biting down hard on her tail.

“Don’t do it, Rainbow!” Twilight tried to reason with the struggling cyan pegasus. “Without weapons of any sort, we would be as good as dead if we went out there!”

“Let me go!” With an almighty heave, Rainbow shook out of her friend’s grips and raced towards Applejack. “Get away from her!”

The closest royal guard turned just in time to be bashed in the chest by a blue pony-shaped blur. He was flung straight into the nearby wall, which crumbled under the pressure, bringing a large chunk of stone down on him. One of the guards turned towards Rainbow and pursued her as she took to the skies. It wasn’t long before he came crashing back down to the earth, a triumphant Rainbow hovering above her defeated enemy.

The remaining three guards decided that concentrating on the lone Applejack was a better strategy than trying to take on the pegasus with the ability to fly. They closed in on Applejack, swords ready.

Just as one was about to deal the killing blow, a blue and white blur flashed past them, and when it was gone, nopony stood before the bewildered guards.

“Hey! Where’d she go?” One of the guards spun around, trying to ascertain the position of his quarry. Twilight turned to the wall where the cloaked pony had been fighting. She saw two pegasus guards, the remainder of the squadron sent to ambush the mysterious pony, looking around them belatedly, trying to find their enemy. Twilight could see the blur receding rapidly to the west as it flew away, taking Applejack with it.

“Rainbow!” Twilight called to the pegasus, who was still trying to process what happened. “See where Applejack is being taken! Keep the cloak so we can use the jewel to track you! I’ll teleport the rest of us to safety!”

“Got it!” Rainbow Dash shouted over the din. After ripping the cloth of the cloak off and ensuring that the clasp with its jewel still hung from her neck, she was gone almost immediately, leaving a rainbow trail in her wake. The rest of the guards took one look at the rapidly shrinking dots and immediately decided that they would rather stay here and clean up the mess then try to confront those two, should they ever catch up with them.

Twilight concentrated, collecting magic in her horn, and then a bright, blinding flash announced her escape.

****

Rainbow was the fastest pegasus in all of Equestria. It was no problem at all to catch up with the escaping pony that had pony-napped Applejack. Soon, the dot grew larger, and then the figure became clearer. It was the cloaked pony she had seen fighting the guards on the battlements of the walls. Applejack rested on that pony’s back, her closed eyes and unmoving figure a clear sign that she was unconscious, probably from the high altitudes that earth ponies weren’t used to.

Rainbow wanted to fly in quickly and tackle the pony out of the skies, but she knew that the moment she did that, Applejack would probably fall off and onto the hard, unforgiving ground, and she would never forgive herself if she died. Especially since it was Applejack she was talking about. She would never forget the first time she had met the farmer pony, when she had caught Rainbow sleeping in her trees. Sure, she had been shouted out of Sweet Apple Acres then, but she could never forget that sweet voice that she had, and how cute she looked when she was furious…

Rainbow snapped out of her daydreaming state when the mysterious pony banked sharply and plunged toward the ground. Rainbow Dash followed suit, taking care not to announce her presence to all of Equestria by executing a Sonic Rainboom.

The cloaked pony landed on the ground silently, hoping that she had not attracted any attention. Rainbow touched down equally silently, surveying the surroundings at the same time. They were in a clearing situated in a valley not too far from Ponyville, one covered by trees. The foliage made for an excellent hiding spot.

The mysterious pony knocked against a nearby tree in a steady rhythm. In response, a high, chirping sound was heard, and another similarly cloaked pony emerged from behind a grove. However, a bulge upwards in the cloak indicated the presence of a horn, unlike the other one, who sported a pair of half white, half dark blue painted wings that Rainbow could only just make out. They were camouflaged excellently.

The cloaked pegasus stepped forward, her head turning to check for intruders. Rainbow immediately ducked behind a nearby tree.

“I have Applejack.” The mysterious pegasus said. “Can teleport to base now, right?”

The disguised unicorn replied, “Of course we can. Trixie is more than capable enough to-”

“Not here. Trees have eyes, and muffins have ears.” The pegasus told her.

The unicorn’s voice had a confused tone to it. “Muffins? What does that have to do with anything?”

“Not now.” The pegasus insisted.

“Fine.” The unicorn began gathering magic in her horn, and Rainbow Dash spied a faint glow from beneath the cloak.

She decided that it was now or never. Getting up from her position, she gave her wings a powerful flap and propelled herself towards the trio of ponies. Just as she got within striking range, however, a blinding light burst forth from beneath the unicorn’s hood and filled the clearing.

When it faded, it revealed the clearing to be empty, devoid of any trace that anypony had ever been there.

****

Safely in a deserted corner of Canterlot, Twilight finally had the time to draw up a feasible plan, one that was not marred with the often error-ridden decisions that she made while under extreme stress.

She had the time, but not the ideas. Most ponies didn’t have to deal with being stuck in the future.

“So, um, what are we doing now? That is, if you don’t mind telling me.” Fluttershy was still trembling in her cloak, obviously still haunted with memories of her future self and possibly the steamy romance novel.

“I, well, uh… I don’t know.” Twilight confessed. “I didn’t expect this to happen.”

“Can’t you just like, magic us back or something?” Pinkie asked. “I’m getting bored.”

“If she could, she would have done that by now, wouldn’t she?” Rarity said.

“Rarity’s right. I can’t go back.” Twilight sighed, a sigh full of despair. “I used ourselves in the future as an anchor here. When I messed up the spell, both our consciousnesses and our bodies were bound here. I can’t bring us back without an anchor of some sort.”

Rarity looked thoughtful. “Then can’t you send our minds to another future and see if they have a spell that could send us back?”

Twilight shook her head. “I could do that, but it would be too dangerous. It’s all too likely that while we’re in there, somepony will stumble across our bodies, and then who knows what could happen? Besides, the odds of somehow finding out how to get back are incredibly slim. I have no control over which future to send us to, and even if I bring us to an extremely advanced one, there’s no reason why they would be discussing about a way to reverse the Future Sight spell. Assuming such a way exists. And then there’s the moral problem.”

Rarity looked confused. “What do you mean, the moral problem?”

Twilight sighed again. “I haven’t told you how Future Sight works, have I?”

All three mares shook their heads.

Twilight continued. “Let me ask you a question. Do you know how impossible it is for life to have begun in the first place?”

A chorus of “Nope!” followed the question.

“Well, it’s very unlikely. First, the planet that is supposed to support life would have to be just the right distance from the sun, so that it is neither too hot, nor too cold. Next, you would have to ensure that the planet you get is the right size to ensure that gravity neither crushes nor ignores you. Then, you would have to create life out of non-life, which is extremely-”

Twilight’s speech was interrupted by a loud snoring noise that came from Pinkie Pie. The pink earth pony was sprawled on the ground, pretending to have fallen asleep.

“Very funny. So anyway, life is so impossible that scientists have theorised that numerous different universes exist. Ours is the one where everything turned out just right for life. Nowadays, these scientists realised that for every choice that a pony has to make, a universe exists for both choices. Basically, there are an infinite number of universes, each one slightly different from the others next to it.” Twilight paused for a moment to allow the other ponies to absorb what she had just said.

"So," Fluttershy began, “This future place is basically another universe?”

“Exactly.” Twilight confirmed. “There exists a universe for every moment in time ever. This only confirms the fact that there are an infinite number of universes. Future Sight allows us to look into one of these universes using quantum foam. The chalk I was using just now was made completely of it. Quantum foam has tiny holes that lead to another universe. I simply shrunk our consciousnesses down to that size to fit us through.” Twilight hesitated for a moment. “When I severed the magical connection, our bodies were sucked through the holes to connect with our consciousnesses. And thus we are here.”

Rarity’s face was a mask of confusion. “How is this a moral problem?”

Twilight looked at her. “You don’t get it, do you? This universe is as real as the one we live in. What we have around us are real ponies. Real living, breathing ponies. And they are suffering. Just because we choose not to lead our lives in a bad way doesn’t mean this world will go away. It will be here, as bad as ever. The ponies will still be suffering.” Rarity grimaced.

Everypony fell silent for a while, contemplating what Twilight had just said. That is, until Pinkie spoke up.

“Well, I think Dashie has been teleported away by now.” She said. “We should go and look for her.”

“Huh?” Twilight once again lapsed into a state of confusion. “H-How do you know?”

“Don’t you even read this story, Twilight?” Pinkie asked. “Sheesh, I thought you would pay more attention to this.”

“Wha- How- I- Never mind. Where is she?” Twilight asked.

“I can’t tell you that! If I did that, it would disrupt the flow of the story.” Pinkie gasped. “If I did that, Prince Superfire might not let me have any sweets later on!”

Twilight was fuming by now, her mane releasing wayward sparks that threatened to ignite the strands of hair. “Pinkie, I couldn’t care less who this Prince of yours is! You aren’t telling me something important, and all you can give me is a ridiculous reason that doesn’t make sense! Our lives are at stake here!”

Pinkie sighed. “Fine! I won’t read the story anymore so you can’t scold me for something I’m not telling you. But shouldn’t you be tracking Dashie with the gem-finding spell right now?”

Twilight’s cheeks blazed a deep red when she realised she could have had been on the way to finding Rainbow Dash instead of arguing with Pinkie. Forgetting about her feud with the party pony immediately, she turned to Rarity. “Oh, right. Rarity, can you track her?”

The fashionista unicorn’s horn was already glowing, emitting a blue light. “She’s somewhere that way, but I can’t tell exactly where. If we can get closer, I can get a fix on her.”

Pinkie smiled to herself. “Mission accomplished.”

Twilight turned to her. “What was that?”

Pinkie shook her head frantically. “Nothing, nothing.”

To Be Continued in Repercussions Ch.4: Rebellion!