• Published 9th Jun 2018
  • 743 Views, 22 Comments

The Day of the Dead - Bookpony579



Celebrating those who have gone....and come back.

  • ...
1
 22
 743

Chapter 1

5 Years Ago.....

A young Twilight Sparkle carefully finished lighting the candles under the strict supervision of her father.

"Well done princess!" He smiled and blew out the wooden lighting stick.

Twilight smiled at his praise, even though she was only ten years old, her family had given her the honor and responsibility of lighting the candles on her late grandfathers' ofrenda. He had passed away earlier this year and while she had cried with grief, her family assured her that he was in a better place now.

Besides, he and everyone else who was gone come back on Dia de los Muertos, which was today!

While Twilight read that many different places and cultures celebrated The Day of the Dead in their own ways, Twilight, her family, and most everyone in Canterlot had gone to the cemetery, cleaned off their loved one's graves, and built shrines dedicated to them. Orion's ofrenda consisted of his picture, several candles, the traditional sweet bread and colorful sugar skull along with his own favorite snacks, all of which were surrounded by marigolds. At her father's family home she knew her paternal grandparents would be setting up something similar for the rest of her ancestors, but this was for the grandfather she had knew and loved, not some people who had died before she was even born.

"Do you think grandpa will like it?"

"Oh I know he'll love it."

Twilight turned and smiled at her mother and grandmother. Aurella had been deeply saddened with the death of her husband and partner, and had moved in afterwards so she wouldn't be lonely. Twilight loved having her close by as she was fun and always had exciting stories to tell.

The sun had just set and all around them, everyone was putting the finishing touches on their own ofrendas. Musicians were playing and everyone was talking, laughing, dancing, eating and huddled around the ofrendas, telling stories about whose they were for. The cemetery was alight with candles, lanterns, flowers and other colorful decorations to celebrate the holiday. People were making offerings to the statue of La Catrina and even Mictlan. Women and girls wore colorful and flowery dresses and men wore bold suits. Many were even dressed up as skeletons, or at least had their faces painted as one, like Velvet.

Night looked around. "Where's Shining Armor?"

Velvet playfully smirked. "Knowing him, he's likely visiting a certain pink classmate."

"Well the procession is starting soon. Let's go get him." He turned to Twilight." We'll be right back sweetie." With that, the parents left, leaving Twilight alone with her grandmother.

"Grandma?"

"Yes?"

"Is grandpa really going to come back tonight?"

The old woman smiled. "What are you talking about? He's already here!" She then winked at somebody Twilight couldn't see.

Twilight looked around at all the ofrendas around her. "But I don't see him. Or anybody who looks dead."

"Well, it's more like feeling you have, deep inside you. When you remember them, their memories and their stories, they are always with you. Look around!" She gestured to the other families. "Everyone here has lost somebody they loved. But as long as we remember them, we can feel their presence. And for one night each year the dead get to see the family and friends they remember too, even if we can't see them back."

"Really?" Twilight's eyes widened. She didn't believe in ghosts, the the way her grandmother described it made it feel real to the young girl.

Aurella nodded. "Those we love are never truly gone, as long as we remember them. They are only really gone when we forget them."

"Excuse me?"

Twilight and Aurella looked up to see another elderly woman approach them. She looked to be about Aurella's age but with an old, worn dress and tattered cloak. Her face, however, was cheerful and kind.

"May I please have a bit of your bread? I am so hungry and I'm afraid I don't have a lot of money."

Twilight smiled and picked up a piece of bread from Orion's altar. "Of course! I'm sure grandpa would want you to have it. Right grandma?" Twilight turned to see Aurella's nod of approval and proud smile.

The woman smiled as she took the bread. "Thank you my dear. In return you have my blessing: may your heart always be good and courageous."

These words gave Twilight a warm feeling, though she wasn't sure why.

"What do we say Twilight?" Aurella gently prodded, bringing Twilight back to reality.

"Oh! Thank you ma'am!"

With that, the woman went off and the duo returned to remembering their loved one.


The woman continued walking before ducking behind a tomb.

After making sure the coast was clear, she turned back into her true form: a tall, beautiful woman, But rather than flesh and bones, she appeared to be made out of sugar candy! Her hair was long and resembled all kinds of licorice, even the colors. She wore a long, beautiful dress with all the colors of the rainbow, embroidered with flowers, ruffles at the bottom and a large hat topped with flowers.

"Beautiful as always, my dear."

The Goddess smiled as she looked at her husband and fellow God. Mictlan was tall and imposing, and built like a skeleton. Unlike his wife s sugar candy body, his skin was black with a blue tint and crusty, making him look like he had some terrible disease. He wore dark robes over armor and carried a scythe. He wore a crown of bones with long, dark feathers sticking out of it.

"Thank you. You're not looking so bad yourself tonight." She gave him a cheeky grin.

He cherished her compliment before adopting a worried look. "Are you sure this is wise?"

She shrugged. "Why not? All the other Goddesses have done it."

He reluctantly accepted her answer before moving onto the other matter. "What did you see?"

La Catrina smiled and looked out onto all the families enjoying the holiday. "She is growing very powerful. You can feel the magic flowing out from her."

"Which will catch he attention of other creatures." Mictlan just sighed. "I can't believe she's doing this."

"She wouldn't do this unless it was necessary."

"Yeah right." He rolled his eyes.

"Now Mictlan, you know she's never been wrong before." Catrina argued. "There's no denying that that girl is going to grow up to be a hero."

'Oh really?" He smiled playfully and went up to her. "Would you care to bet on it?"

She smiled back at him. "Not tonight and not on her. You know how the other gods feel about our wagers."

"I don't care what Sola says! I do NOT have a problem!" Mictlan realized he was shouting and quickly resorted to grumbling. "Besides, her sister cheats."

"No she doesn't."

"It is if you have future sight!"

She just sighed and rolled her eyes. "I have to get going. I've been away from the Land of the Dead for too long as it is."

This made the other God upset. "Ah yes, the Land of the Dead with it's endless parties and feasts. And me with the Land of the Punished with the convicts and criminals."

"Now now, somebody has to watch over them. And you DID make your wager with that bet." She gave him a sharp look.

He looked away nervously. "Oh would you look at the time! I have to...go...by sweetie!" With that, he vanished from the mortal plane.

"What am I going to do with him?" She shook her head and returned to her own realm.

Author's Note:

This scene was inspired by "The Book of Life" a wonderful movie about the holiday. The Gods introduced here are even based on La Muerte and Xibalba!

La Catrina: a female skeleton that is a popular symbol for the holiday.

Mictlan: a name for the underworld in Aztec Mythology.