• Published 16th Sep 2018
  • 1,847 Views, 58 Comments

Timberwolves: Guardians of the Everfree - Keystone Gray



A research paper on the timberwolves, exploring their creation, purpose, and their connection to the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
3
 58
 1,847

Foreword by the Authors

Timberwolves: Guardians of the Everfree

First Edition


V

Princess Luna of Canterlot
Blackthorn of Thicket
Apex of Everfree


Distributed By

Royal Canterlot Press
Canterlot, Equestria


Editor's Note

I have always held a deep, respectful fondness for the Everfree Forest.

It is dark, mysterious, and beautiful all at once. At night, from the western border village of Heartwood, one can see lights glimmering and glowing in the darkened distance, evidence of some ghostly life that yet thrives. The fireflies of Equestria are but mere simple greens, but the magic of the Everfree twists their lights toward vibrant oranges and cool violets. Flowers absorb this glow when they bloom to light the darkness, and certain rare mushrooms cast a radiant aura of magical power, with varying effects. Indeed, many plants there are revered by alchemists the world over for their healing properties, and some other flora are recognized for their sentient nature.

But only the brave dare to tread in the Everfree Forest. For despite all of its aesthetic beauty and the good it brings to the rest of our world, the Everfree remains the most deadly and dangerous territory at our Equestrian borders.

The village of my birth, Colt Creek, is a half day's travel from this forest. As foolish youths, my sister Apex and I would often tempt fate, daring one another to enter the forbidden land, which we knew was sovereign and free from pony influence. Our friends and elders were keen to warn us of the monsters that lurked deep within, and so we never traveled too far in those days. How right they were! But even as fear rooted us to the safety of Equestria, our imaginations ran wild, and from this we gathered our drive to explore and understand... and so we did, growing to be the adventurers we are today.

While there is excitement in the unknown, there is also danger. But as we acquire knowledge, we also acquire safety. There is still so much more we ponies and deer do not know about this place, so shrouded in myth and mystery as it is, even a millennium on. It is thus our sincere hope that this volume encourages other explorers, ecologists, and scientists to probe and delve its secrets as we have, but to do so in a manner most respectful to its conservation.

We humbly ask that if any feel so inspired to explore, that you prepare adequately with more knowledge than equipment, with more consideration than armament. Learn from your predecessors. Above all else, we implore you to learn survival techniques that do not upset the delicate balance of the magical woods. Failing this, you might attract the dangerous attention of the Guardians of the Everfree.

But for those so driven only to teach and learn, we graciously welcome you.

Blue Sky
Corpspony of Royal Discovery


Acknowledgements

This book would have been impossible to write without the assistance of several other experts in this field. The authors would like to thank Zecora of the Everfree, Hopscotch of Heartwood, and His Highness Prince Bramble of Thicket for their contributions to the alchemical sciences of the Everfree Forest. We also humbly express our gratitude to Her Royal Majesty, Princess Celestia, for her encouragement and endorsement of this volume.

We thank the timberwolves known as Grand, Kahruvel, and Nyx'it, beloved by the authors and now each returned to the forest as Guardians. They have each provided invaluable insight into the mannerisms, behaviors, and eccentricities of their race, both as individuals and as the embodiment of the forest's will. We are grateful for their eternal service.


About The Authors

Royal Warden Blackthorn serves as Captain of the Dierguard for the current ruler of the Dierkahl, King Aspen. Born in Thicket, Blackthorn is a master of the traditional deer arts of animal husbandry and warding. His expertise includes the interaction of timberwolves with the currently existing ecosystem of the Everfree Forest, including the many other magical species that exist therein. Blackthorn is also an expert concerning the shared Old Language, known as Cerfish to the deer or Old Ponish to ponies. He has raised one timberwolf, so known as Kahruvel, whose territory includes the western Everfree.

"Ton wisp'it es ton quiva vida, fosi nyeli kah.
Sim nyali paka dahtta, kahru, nyeli leka sah."


Her Royal Majesty, Princess Luna of Canterlot, was born over a millennium ago in a small, unnamed village in what is now known as the Everfree Forest. As an Alicorn and equal ruler beside Princess Celestia, she participated in the second pony tribe unification, bringing about Equestria as we know it today. As a firsthoof source, Princess Luna was present for all historical retrospectives within this volume. In preparation for the Dark War, she raised one timberwolf known as Nyx'it, who watches over the ancient ruins of our pony ancestors to this day.

"Memki soh nei tantibus, nei etern sinsa vlei,
Nyei desta es taiet drema: pass fleyt nei lohkei."


Apex of Everfree is an earth pony from Colt Creek. From a very young age, Apex learned and mastered the arts of woodcraft and archery, developing a strong respect for nature through her upbringing. Apex is a guide for traders and travelers who wish to pass through the Everfree, and also serves as de facto liaison and translator for Dierkahl and Equestrian dignitaries. Her timberwolf Grand is most commonly seen roaming near to main roads and thoroughfares, ever watchful, keen to keep travelers separate from the dangers of the woods beyond.

"Nousheri kinyu, chai nei, cereta ret vanna.
Nyu temfyu, sikna Teikyun, es vel'ki ichnesa."


Dedication

V

We the authors would like to dedicate this volume to Homefront and Stalwart Grace; to Water Lily, Ironshod, King Alpine; to Tall Oak and Dogrose; and to all other beings whose sacrifices breathed life into others. Your gifts were not given in vain. We, your friends, your children, your brothers and sisters, your nieces and nephews, and your descendants, shall cherish your memory always.


TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. A MOST DESPERATE GENESIS - PRINCESS LUNA
2. INTRODUCTION OF RELEVANT SPECIES - BLACKTHORN
3. GUIDING INTENTIONS - APEX
4. VORKU COMMUNICATION, CERFISH LANGUAGE - BLACKTHORN
5. TIMBERWOLF ADOLESCENCE - APEX
6. ETHOLOGY AND ADULTHOOD - BLACKTHORN
7. THE MAUSOLEUM OF GUARDIANS - PRINCESS LUNA
8. THE DANGERS OF LATENT DARK MAGIC - APEX
9. ON THE IMPORTANCE OF LETTING GO - PRINCESS LUNA
10. AUTRAR NA FI TEIKYUNE, BE FI DIERKAHL


Author's Note:

Once again, I would like to thank Sugary Violet for bringing my dreams to life with her artwork.

Ki'loah ton fi Evavrai, nei vlei. Welcome to the Everfree Forest.

[Keiichi Okabe - Song of the Ancients, Devola]