• Published 8th Dec 2011
  • 2,171 Views, 7 Comments

Ice of the Mind - Dracoliat



What happens when Fluttershy comes down with a strange illness, the day her and RD go to canterlot?

  • ...
1
 7
 2,171

Chapter 4

Dash ran up to Fluttershy's limp body. The fresh blood covered the sidewalk and made it difficult to walk on normally.

Dash's head bent down low as she nuzzled Fluttershy causing some more blood to gush forth from her mouth. "DAMN IT!" Dash shouted at nothing in general. She felt Fluttershy's neck gently and sure enough there was a pulse, but obviously Fluttershy was not OK.

Gently Rainbow Dash put Fluttershy on her back as another torrent of crimson fluids spilled forth, staining Dash's pristine coat. Soon Dash was nothing more then a blue dot as she raced along the streets, not being able to use her wings thanks to Fluttershy on her back.
=======


A large white building soon loomed over them and Dash ran past a few ponies exiting on crutches. Her hooves stopped moving against the floor as she skidded to a quick stop, Fluttershy however kept going and landed on the floor. Dash sprinted as fast as her feet could carry her over to Fluttershy as she called out loudly and strongly for a doctor. The floor beneath Fluttershy was already becoming more red as a steady yet small stream of blood poured from her mouth. It gave of a strong pungent smell, like that of rusting iron.

A doctor ran through the halls loudly and stopped next to Dash with a gas mask on. Pushing Dash aside he grabbed Fluttershy with magic and ran through the halls towards to lightweight plastic, swinging doors. Above them, it said emergency room. "Don't worry, we will handle her." The doctor said as a nurse blocked Dash from going inside.

"I'm sorry, but it may take a few hours," the nurse said as Dash walked away slowly. She wouldn't stand there for that long, she would get answers. As soon as she had exited the hospitals doors her wings beat once causing a small gust of wind to blow discarded papers everywhere as she headed towards the clock shop.
=======


"You better have some real good answers for me right now!" Dash yelled as she ran into the store. Inside, the Unicorn had his face in his hooves. At the very back of the store the clock that she and Fluttershy had seen when they first arrived in Canterlot was chiming loudly. It's design broke Dash's heart, the two ponies, not able to get to each other by some strange barrier.

"I'm sorry, I tried to warn you, I tried to make you leave, I really did..." Postim said in between loud sobs. "But you wouldn't go, you couldn't take the hint."

"What do you mean!" Dash yelled frustrated at the riddling Unicorn.

"When you saw your friend hurt like that... That was me, I made you see that, also back in ponyville as well. If you had been smart you would have forced her back with you to Ponyville and stayed there. You would never have come here!" Postim yelled at the top of his lungs.

"Let me tell you what happened. One day I was visiting ponyville, it was like any normal visit. Until I saw you and Fluttershy walking in the town square towards Sugarcube corner. It was about three months ago. I saw a vision, as I often do, of the future. But this one was different, it seemed more concrete then any other, it seemed unchangeable but I had to try. So I tried to cast spells on you that would make you force Fluttershy and therefore yourself to stay in Ponyville. But it failed due to the power of your love." Postim explained before taking a quick breath to calm himself. "Do you remember that apple that Fluttershy ate?" Postim asked.

Dash's head nodded lightly.

"Unfortunately, that specific apple had a very dangerous spell cast on it, or I should say the byproduct of a growth spell. This apple was targeted by the spell itself because of it's great size and health. It was dumb misfortune that caused this, but it happened nonetheless. The growth spell that poisoned the apple was cast by one Twilight Sparkle. She was helping AppleJack get more apples this year, only this spell accidentally put all of the left over magic and negative traits in the apple that Fluttershy ate.

In a nutshell, Fluttershy is being killed by the magic now inside of her." Postim summarized as he went quiet leaving Dash alone with her thoughts.

"So, is there a chance of Fluttershy living?" Dash asked, depressed.

"Yes," Postim said before continuing, "the magic inside of her is doing nothing good, the magic needs to be extracted, but by now I assume the doctors have figured this all out. The rest will be a very shaky recovery. She may not live even if the doctors do everything correctly. There is one thing that is certain though. She will need to go back to Ponyville, and if you want to be there, you will have to quit the Wonderbolts. I am sorry, but she needs you."

Dash nodded slightly and before running of said, "Once you get to ponyville you will have to come see me." Her wings beat with a nonrythmic pattern. Her breathing was heavy and frantic as she tried to get back to the hospital as fast as she could.

Inside of the hospital she found that they had indeed figured out what Postim had said and had removed the magic. However it had done severe internal damage.
=======


The doctor came out and said to Dash, "I am sorry we tried all we could but she is in critical condition. You may see her, but please be careful." With that the doctor unicorn stepped aside allowing Rainbow Dash into a nearly empty room.

There, laying on a bed with her eyes watching Rainbow Dash, was Fluttershy. Her chest seemed to have been cut open and there were, what seemed like, twenty different needles sticking into her. Each delivering a different colored substance.

"Flu... Fluttershy..." Dash said as her hooves took her towards the injured pegasus.

"It's good to see you again Dash," Fluttershy responded and a kind smile appeared on her face.

Dash leaned forwards and touched Fluttershy's soft, delicate lips with her own. Through their lips it seemed a spark jumped. They smiled at the new feeling and like they had done so many times before, invaded each others mouth's. Their tongues touched softly as they snaked around each other. The moment seemed to last forever but it had to end. This time it was Rainbow Dash that drew away first. "You have to get your rest," Dash said before continuing, "Fluttershy... I love you, please, do whatever the doctors want, just please, don't die. I can't lose you."

Dash's heart felt as if something heavy was pressing down on it as she realized that she might lose Fluttershy anyways. Out of the corner of her eye came a single forlorn tear. A nearly silent splash was heard soon followed by more. Dash couldn't remember the last time she had been in this much pain, it was unbearable.

A hoof touched the top of her head softly, it was Fluttershy again. "Thank you, I needed that Fluttershy," Dash said in between soft yet strong sobs.

"Ms. Dash, you will have to leave the room for now, I'm sorry." A voice behind Rainbow Dash said.

"Wait how do you know my name?" Dash asked as she turned around. Behind her was Doctor Card, the kindly doctor from Ponyville.

"Before you ask, I was here on official business when I heard about this and decided to come and help." Doctor card said delaying the obvious question. "Now please leave, we have work to do," he said as he gestured towards a nurse and another doctor behind him.

Dash walked up to Fluttershy and gave her a quick kiss then turned. Without any words she walked out of the room, a steady stream of tears flowing from down her cheeks.
=======


Dash sat there, out in the hallway just thinking about everything that had happened since they had arrived in Canterlot. After an hour she finally realized what she had to do.

Dash walked outside and flew to the bar. Inside, as she expected, she found the four Wonderbolts. Her step this time was uneven as she contemplated what she would say.

"Hey Rainbow Dash, what's the matter?" Spitfire asked seeing Dash's head bent towards the floor.

"Um, well it's complicated. The short form is, me and Fluttershy both need to leave the Wonderbolts, I'm sorry." Rainbow Dash said as gasps came up from around the bar.

"Why?" Soarin asked calmly.

"Fluttershy is in the hospital, and she might not make it, even if she does, I doubt she'll ever be in fit condition to fly as she used to. As for me, I have decided, and I can't believe I am saying this. I would rather be with Fluttershy, then be a Wonderbolt." Dash said calmly, yet in her heart she knew it was what she should have done all along.

"If that's what you want then who would we be to stop you?" Soarin said as Spitfire nodded, but Zap and Swoop just look at Dash in disbelief.

"Wait your seriously abandoning us, the Wonderbolts, for some random injured filly!" Swoop screamed at Rainbow Dash as he pushed himself out of his chair.

"Random filly?" Dash asked as she took a step towards him, "what do you mean, random filly?" She took another step.

"I mean, why would you want her when you can have someone like me!" Swoop shouted back. Everyone went silent except for Rainbow Dash.

"You're just like the rest of this place, everyone judges us. Just because were two fillies doesn't make our love is any less real!" Dash yelled as she continued walking towards Swoop. "And do you know what I think of this place, and it's ridiculous ideas?"

Swoop's eyebrows furrowed strongly as he turned around and raised his legs to kick Rainbow Dash.

Dash jumped strongly of the ground and came down in front of Swoop, "this is what I think," Dash said. She reared up and kicked the pegasus straight in the chest. The force of this kick sent swoop into the air about five feet before he landed hard on a wooden table causing it to break.

"Now if you will excuse me, I have some place to be," Dash said angrily as she walked past the injured pegasus and exited the bar for the last time. The entire bar was still in silence.
=======


Back at the hospital Dash sat there waiting, it was done and she didn't regret it one bit.

A full six hours later Doctor Card came out of the room and smiled at Rainbow, "Ms. Dash, there is good news," he said. "Ms. Fluttershy's odds of survival have improved dramatically."

"So what are the odds?" Dash asked excitedly.

Doctor Card's face dropped as he obviously hoped Rainbow Dash wouldn't ask. "About... 25 percent," he said before going silent once more.

"So what now?" Dash asked.

"Well we plan on moving her to Ponyville where we have more Unicorns equipped to deal with this." Doctor card stated as Rainbow Dash looked him in the eyes.

"I don't care what you do to her, what you do to me, as long as she survives this." Dash said to him.

He smiled and stepped aside indicating she could go in.
=======


Fluttershy was still in the bed but the needles had been removed. Dash smiled at her healthier appearance and walked silently to Fluttershy's side. "How are you?" Dash asked, extremely concerned.

"Good, at least now that you're here," Fluttershy responded kindly.

"You know they are bringing you back to Ponyville right? Also, I quit the Wonderbolts." Dash stated.

"You quit the Wonde... thank you Dash" Fluttershy said as Dash leaned towards her. "I love you, and I will do anything for you."

"Then do this for me, survive," Dash told her before leaning in and kissing her passionately.

End of chapter 4

Beginning of prologue

"Fluttershy, you will be ok, got that," Dash reassured Fluttershy as she laid in the bed in the Ponyville hospital. Two days ago she had been transported there. It had gone without a hitch and until today she had been doing fine.
=======


That morning Dash had been woken up by the doctor who told her that Fluttershy was awake and had cold sweat and was shaking slightly. As soon as Dash arrived Fluttershy seemed to cheer up immensely and her shaking stopped. But the sweat was still coming.

"I know I will, just please don't leave me," Fluttershy pleaded with Rainbow dash.

"Fine I won't leave you, I promise," Dash responded kindly.

"Thank you," Fluttershy said as her head fell back onto the pillow and her eyes closed, her mind slipping back into the unconscious void yet again.

Rainbow Dash smiled and knew she wouldn't wake up for a while so she called to the nurse. "Could you please go get Twilight Sparkle?" she asked when the nurse had arrived who quickly nodded and left.
=======


About ten minutes later Twilight walked into the room surprised at the turn of events. She ran up to Fluttershy but Dash blocked her from touching Shy.

"What happened Rainbow Dash?" Twilight asked as Dash kept her from the pink pegasus. "Let me through!" she yelled in frustration finally giving up.

"Do you remember helping Applejack make her harvest better this year with magic?" Dash asked, poison evident in her voice.

"Ya and?" Twilight asked intrigued by the direction of the conversation.

"well all of your magic had a side effect, on a single apple. An apple that Fluttershy ate! It's your fault she is in this mess, and you will help me. Or so help me, I will make an ursa major look tame compared to my fury!" Dash yelled towards Twilight, her hooves striking the ground and her nostrils flaring.

Twilight fell silent as the seconds stretched into a full minute, "I will try," she said.

"For your sake I hope you succeed," Dash replied loudly as Fluttershy stirred slightly in her unnatural sleep.

"It will be difficult, however I'll see if there's a spell I know." Twilight said as she turned away and ran out of the hospital to the library.
=======


Fluttershy's eyes opened as she drew a labored breath. "Rainbow Dash," she said in her silent voice.

"Ya Flutter?" Dash answered grabbing her hoof softly.

"I love you," Fluttershy said with a tiny smile.

"I love you too," Rainbow Dash responded grasping her hoof tighter.

"You and I both know this, if I'm left this way, I will die." Fluttershy said without any fear in her voice.

"We don't know that!" Dash responded loudly and desperately. However she did know it and after a few seconds she nodded. "But you can't go, I love you to much to just let you go. Twilight, she's finding a spell right now to help make you all better!" Dash told Fluttershy eagerly.

"I know you don't want me to go, that is why I will keep fighting, not for me, but for you." Fluttershy said her hoof loosening slightly. "But for now, I must rest," Fluttershy said, "I love you Rainbow Dash..." Her hoof went limp as her head fell back and she fell into a coma. Her eyes still open.

Dash leaned in and closed each eyelid carefully before kissing Fluttershy lightly. She was alive, she could feel it, but for how long?