• Published 4th Aug 2011
  • 4,086 Views, 16 Comments

Tabluna Rasa - SIaanme

  • ...
2
 16
 4,086

Dreams of Fabulosity: Rarity

Luna hovered through the centre of town. She could feel the presence of the last elements, but where they were, she still didn't know. Time to try fishing for another name. What about the other unicorn, what was her name? Or her element? Cutie mark? Job? Just about any clue would have been nice.

"Well, if nothing else, I've learnt I need to pay more attention to Celly." Luna let out a sigh. If she couldn't remember the last elements, maybe she should just start trying random houses. That way she had a what, one in fifty chance of finding the right house? Hmm, perhaps not. Oh, if only there was some other clue!

And suddenly inspiration struck: maybe there were fewer houses to check after all. After all, the other Elements all had grand and spectacular houses; it stood to reason that the others would as well. So, all Luna had to do was find a house that was over the top. And as luck would have it, there was one right behind her.

Luna entered the house to find it cluttered with dresses and fabric. A fashion store maybe? The second floor was even more cluttered, half completed dresses lay here and there, there was at least two different streams of ribbons unrolled upon the ground. Luna found the unicorn amongst the mess, asleep at her sewing machine. It must have been a late night. For the fourth time that night, Luna peered into the slumbering unicorn's dreams.

§§§§

"What do you mean you can only let me have ten percent?" Rarity was in Canterlot, negotiating with an outlet. Deciding it was time she get her name spread further than Ponyville, she went seeking out the most well-known fashion shop in Equestria: Bridle Wear. The owner had liked Rarity's designs well enough, and agreed to stock her designs. Now they were just arguing about how much of the profit Rarity would receive.

"Darling, it hurts me to do this, really, but it's simple not feasible to give you much more than that. You're still not exactly a household name here, if we're going to turn a profit here, we'll need the lions share." The manger was stretching the truth a bit, but then, that was her job. She was surprised how often it worked. Not this time though.

"Do you WANT to ruin me? Ten percent simply isn't worth my time!" In truth, Rarity knew she probably wouldn't end up with much more than that, but there were things expected of a designer. "No, I won't settle for anything less than, say, thirty percent."

"Thirty percent? Darling, are you trying to ruin us? Now look, I can go maybe to fifteen percent, but frankly, you need us more than we need you."

"That may be so, but are you going to begrudge me my hard work? I'll accept twenty-five percent. Yes, that should do quite nicely I think."

"Twenty-one percent. That's my final offer. Take it or find some other shop."

It was certainly better than Rarity had expected. "Very well then. I suppose I can stoop to such a low share as twenty-one percent."

"Perfect! I'll get my people to draw up the contracts and send them over to you as soon as we can."

The conversation was interrupted by the sound of the door opening.

"Oh for crying out - We're closed for lunch!" The manager was frustrated, she still hadn't had her lunch break.

"Oh of course. I should have realised that when I saw the sign. Clearly I must be a simpleton to miss such an obvious hint."

The voice made the manager turn around, ready to give the visitor a peace of her mind, but the words vanished when she saw who it was. "P-princess Luna! I am so sorry, I wasn't expecting a visit from royalty today!"

"Really. It hardly shows at all. Now then, I require a new dress, my sister is throwing another ball for me."

Rarity wisely kept back. The princess seemed to be unhappy with the service on offer, and she had no plans to be associated with any royal dissatisfaction. The manager, meanwhile, was having a panic attack.

"I- I beg your pardon Princess, but our seamstress has the day off. Perhaps if you could come back tomorrow we could..."

"Ah, a pity." Luna cut her off. "It seems I'll have to find somewhere else to accept my patronage. Farewell."

"No, wait!" The words were out before the manager could stop them. "A-ha. It just so happens that we have a top designer here today, and I'm sure she'll be happy to take your request."

"Very well then. But this had better not be a waste of my time." The Princess headed into the backroom to await her fitting. The manager quickly rounded on Rarity.

"Oh please oh please oh please, you have to do this for me!"

Rarity allowed herself a smile. "And if I don't, what do I have to lose?"

The manager blinked. "Your contract with us! Yes, that's right, we won't stock your designs!" A disconcerting grin spread across her face. Rarity recognised it as the kind one might have while having a breakdown.

"Ah yes, but here's the thing, would I really WANT my designs to be associated with somewhere that was shunned by one of the royal Princesses?" Rarity pressed her advantage. "I suppose I could help... if my share of the profits is increased to forty percent."

"What?!" The manager was shocked. "That's unheard of! Forty percent?"

"Oh, well if it's too much I suppose I can just leave. Good luck with your reputation though, I know how difficult they are to fix." Rarity turned as if to leave. She counted in her head as she walked. One, two three, four...

"Wait." Rarity turned, carefully keeping her expression blank. The manager struggled with the words. "For-forty percent? And you'll make this dress for the Princess?" She swallowed. "Okay. You have a deal. Now please, get in there before she decides to leave!"

"Oh very well then. I suppose you've twisted my leg enough." Rarity could barely keep the glee of her face. Forty percent of the profit, AND she got to make a dress for the Princess! Granted it was the less popular Princess of the two, but royalty was royalty. As she walked towards the backroom though, she had no trouble not smiling. She was too busy fretting. What if the Princess hated her dress? What if she still held a grudge for the whole Nightmare Moon thing? A hundred scenarios ran through her mind as she passed through the door.

"Well then. I take it you're the replacement. You seem very familiar..."

Rarity tried not to shudder at the condescension in Luna's voice. "Yes your majesty. My name is Rarity, I was one of the ponies who helped with... um... Nightmare Moon last year."

"Oh yes. I knew I recognised you from somewhere." Luna turned her head away from Rarity and sighed. "If it helps you be more at ease, I bear you no ill-will for what you did."

"Oh really? The thought hadn't even crossed my mind," Rarity lied. "Right then, did you have any particular design in mind for your dress?"

"No, not really. Do what you think looks best, and pray I like it."

Rarity narrowly avoided gulping. "O-of course! Let me just get your measurements first..."

As Rarity took measurements, she tried to engage Luna in conversation. "So, a ball? How wonderful! You must be so excited!"

"Not really. I don't know what happened in the thousand years I was absent, but somehow balls have become even duller than before."

"Dull your majesty?" Rarity was now levitating various fabric colours in front of Luna. "But I've heard that a Canterlot ball is not one to be missed! The glamour, the sophistication, the elegance..."

"The dullness, the sycophancy, the silent judging... no thank you. But my sister insists that I make appearances like this so that the public start to accept I'm back for good."

Rarity levitated a sketchpad and pencil over from the bench and started working on designs. "Oh I'm sure it can't be all that bad..."

"Oh? You would contradict a Princess?"

Rarity dropped the pencil and sketchbook at the sound of Princess Luna's voice. She'd overstepped her place! This was the end for her. All her dreams of fame and fortune, lost!

Luna's stern look was replaced by a smirk. "Very bold. There need to be more like you willing to speak their mind. I'll see to it that you receive an invitation to the ball as well."

"Oh please please please don't punish me for.... what?" Rarity paused in the middle of her eloquently and well thought out defense, shocked by the Princess' decision. "Me? You're inviting me to the ball?"

"Of course. I'm a Princess, I may invite whomever I please. Besides which, this is the fastest way to convince you that these balls are boring. The ball is in a week's time, I'll see you get an invitation before then. I also expect my dress to be ready by either tomorrow or the day after, send a message by way of dragon to my sister, she'll be sure to pass the message along. Now, if I'm no longer required?" The princess titled her head towards the door. Rarity snapped out of her shock.

"What? Oh, yes of course. I'll be sure to have it done by then."

"Good. I look forward to seeing your craftsmaresship then."

Rarity barely acknowledged her as she left. She, Rarity, was going to a royal ball!

---

The following week Rarity felt like she was in a dream. She finished the Princess' dress in almost record time, and sent a message to her via Spike to let her know it was done. Not even a day later she'd received a visit from some VERY dashing royal guards, but unfortunately they were only there to pick up the dress. And then Rarity began to feel nervous again. What if the princess didn't like the dress? Would she still give Rarity the invitation to the ball? What if she wasn't serious about inviting her in the first place? Rarity was such a bundle of nerves that she almost couldn't focus on making her own gown.

Finally, it was the day before the ball, and the invitation still hadn't arrived. Rarity was ready to give up hope, when Spike burst into the room.

"Spike! How many times do I have to tell you, you should always KNOCK before entering a room, especially the room of a lady! Go out and try again."

"But Rarity-"

"Ah-ah-ah! No buts Spike! For one from Canterlot, one would think your manners would be better."

Spike sighed and closed the door. A few seconds later there was a knock.

"Just a moment, I'm getting changed!"

"But you... you're.... oh forget it."

Rarity magicked on her ball gown, and opened the door. "Why Spike, how lovely to see you today. What brings you here? Do you like my new gown? I think it's simply GORGEOUS, oh I'm sure to be the envy of the ball. If I'm still going that is. It's been almost a week and Princess Luna still hasn't sent me an invitation. I'm beginning to think she never was going to invite me after all? I bet it's because she didn't like my dress, oh what am I going to do? This was my one shot at the high life and I blew it! I... I think I need to be alone now..."

She began to close the door when spike stuck his foot in the way. "Rarity, will you let me get a word in edgeways?" He pulled out a scroll. "This came for you just before. It's sealed with Princess Luna's insignia."

"What? Spike, I thought I told you to let me know the VERY SECOND the Princess sent me something. How could you just leave me in suspense like that?"

"Well if you'd let me actually speak-"

"No excuses Spike! This simply isn't good enough. Now then, the letter?"

Still grumbling slightly, Spike offered Rarity the letter. She unrolled it with glee and began to read it.

"Well Rarity, what's it say? Good news?"

Rarity read the letter again. And then again. A fourth time, just to be sure. She let it drop to the ground. "Princess Luna wants to talk to me about becoming her own personal dressmaker! Oh Spike, do you know what this means? It means I'm destined for the high life! Goodbye Ponyville, hello Canterlot!"

"But won't that mean leaving all your friends here in Ponyville behind? Like me?"

"Oh well yes, but that doesn't mean I won't keep in touch. Now shoo Spike, I need to pack a bag in case I'm asked to stay."

---

Rarity arrived at the palace about an hour before the ball was to start, as per Princess Luna's request. She was escorted to the Princess' Royal chamber by the guards. Timidly, Rarity knocked.

"Enter."

It was one of the biggest room's Rarity had ever laid eyes on. The floor was covered by an off white carpet, and the walls were painted in a mix of deep blues and purples, with patches of silver here and there. It felt like Rarity had suddenly been transported to the moon.

"Ah, Miss Rarity, so glad you could make it." The Princess was in the middle of the room, lying on a four-poster bed. Rarity was shocked to see she wasn't dressed yet.

"Princess Luna, so good to see you again..." Rarity bowed deeply. "You mentioned in your letter that you had a job offer for me?"

"Yes that's correct. Please, you don't need to bow. Now then, about the position. I've found your work on my dress to be... more than adequate. In fact, it is one of the finest dresses I have laid eyes upon. As such, I would like to you to consider the position of Royal Dressmaker. Should you take the job, you will be accommodated here in the palace, and you're duties would primarily include making me stunning gowns when I need them, as well as to accompany me to any social functions I may attend."

Rarity was ready to say yes then and there, but managed to keep her composure. "Well your majesty, first let me say that this is very generous, and I-"

Luna cut her off. "Please just wait. I don't want to hear your answer yet. I'll let you attend your first regal ball, and if you manage to find it less tedious than I, you are welcome to the job. If not, I wouldn't want to be forcing you into unfavorable circumstances."

"Oh Princess, I'm sure it can't be that bad..."

"Nevertheless, I want you to know what you'd be getting yourself into before you accept. Now, we have some time before the ball starts, and anyway, I'd sooner be fashionably late. What shall we talk about?"

Rarity was shocked. "You mean, you're not going to start getting ready?"

Luna looked puzzled. "Get ready now? It's a dress, it's not like it'll take me more than 5 minutes to put on."

"Oh but there's so much more to preparing for a ball than to just put on a dress! I simply insist that you let me help you get ready."

Luna stood up, bringing her full height to bear. "And you think you can order around a member of the royal family?" Rarity shrank into the ground, waiting for the yelling, but instead the princess chuckled. "Oh, don't worry. I'm just teasing. If I am going to make you Royal Dressmaker, I suppose I should expect to be told how to wear your creations as well."

Luna exited into the adjacent room, leaving Rarity alone. Rarity took several breaths to try and calm her nerves. Here she was in the presence of Royalty, and she was ARGUING? Was she trying to get banished? Once she'd calmed down a bit more, she took another look at the room. It really was stunning. Rarity had never been one for astronomy, but if this was even close to what one could see through a telescope, she could certainly see the appeal. But why would Princess Luna have her room like this? Hadn't she spent a thousand years on the moon?

"In case you were wondering, yes this is what it was like for me on the moon. Except it was colder, and I didn't have any furniture." Rarity turned around to see Luna standing there in her dress. She had to suppress a gasp. The dress had turned out even better than she had thought, the colours contrasted perfectly with Luna's natural complexion, and the silver trim around the bottom made it look as if she was walking on a moonbeam. Rarity's heart fluttered a little just to look at her.

Wait, that can't be right. My heart can't be fluttering for Princess Luna. She's a mare, like me! Trying to cover the emotion, Rarity asked "But why would you decorate your room to remind you of the moon? Surely you've seen enough of it to last a lifetime?"

Luna was blissfully unaware of her guest's flustered nature. "While that may be true, there is a certain serenity to be found on the moon that I attempted to capture here. It wasn't so much where I was banished to that was so bad, but rather the fact that I WAS banished." Luna paused briefly, and sighed. "But all that is in the past now. So, what else am I supposed to do to get ready?"

Rarity managed a smile, glad to be back to familiar topics. "Why, make up, of course!"

The princess was confused. "Make-up? Why would I need make-up? I've been told on a number of occasions that my beauty was second only to my sister's. Of course, they were trying to butter me up, but still...."

"Ah, yes your majesty. But WITH make-up you could be - dare I say it - MORE beautiful than your sister!"

Luna's ears perked up. "Oh really? well, not that it matters but..." She grinned. "Ok then. Oh, but I don't have any make-up here."

"Not to worry! A lady always brings some make-up with her to every occasion. Oh, not to say that you aren't a lady your majesty..."

Luna gave an exasperated sigh. "Lady Rarity, please feel free to relax. I invited you here, I'm not going to banish you." She smiled. "Now please, allow me to find out what all this fuss about make-up is about."

---

It was about forty minutes afterwards that Rarity and Princess Luna finally headed off to the ball. The doorguard announced them. "Princess Luna of Equestria, and her guest, Lady Rarity of Ponyville." All eyes were on them instantly. Well, mostly they were on Luna, but a few slid off and found their way to Rarity. She felt like she was going to faint. Her first Canterlot ball! Not counting the absolute disaster that was the Grand Galloping Gala, of course.

It wasn't long before a small herd of ponies had surrounded Luna and Rarity. Rarity felt smaller than she had ever felt before. This must be what Fluttershy feels like all the time! Luna noticed her guest's distress.

"Go on. Mingle with the crowd; you don't have to stay with me. Besides, I'm sure you'll have more fun wandering the hall then here with me, trying to manage all these ponies and their requests."

Rarity didn't need to be told twice, and managed to squeeze her way out of the herd. Freed from the stress of so many ponies around her, she managed to calm down. Here she was at last, in the heart of sophistication and class. Time to shamelessly self-promote!

---

Hours later Rarity was still enjoying herself. She had got a number of compliments about her gown, and on the occasion that the topic turned to Princess Luna, Rarity managed to slip in the fact that it was her design as well. Oh yes, business was going to be booming. Soon the whole world would know the name of the most fashionable unicorn in all Equestria, Rarity!

Entranced by the scenes of fame that played before her, Rarity forgot to pay attention to where she was walking, and stumbled into one of the other guests.

"Oh, I'm so dreadfully sorry, I was.... YOU!"

"You!" replied Prince Blueblood. "You're that unicorn with the horrid manners from the Grand Galloping Gala! How did you manage to get in here? Guards, guards!"

Before she could react, Rarity found herself being restrained by two guards. "Unhand me you ruffians! Why the nerve! I'm an invited guest!"

"Oh? I don't remember seeing your name on the list," sneered Blueblood.

"That's because she was a late addition by me." Blueblood turned to find Princess Luna bearing down upon him. "Is there a problem, oh esteemed nephew?"

The prince gulped, but managed to speak without a hint of fear in his voice. "Oh, aunt Luna..."

"Don't you call me aunt! It's Princess Luna to you."

This time Blueblood couldn't hide the tremble in his voice. "P-Princess Luna, this unicorn simple has no manners. Why, at the Grand Galloping Gala, she got cake all over my perfectly groomed mane, and showed absolutely no respect for my position."

"As I understand it Blueblood, your position as prince is only justified because your mother married into the royal family. After you were born. And I don't think she'd been married before that either. Now, if you're done questioning my choice of companions, I think we'll take our leave."

Rarity found herself released, and she hurried to the Princess' side. "Oh thank you so much for helping me out Princess!" She felt a stirring in her chest again, and once more tried to push it down.

"It was no problem. And please, just call me Luna." The princess turned to the disgraced Blueblood. "Oh, and I had meant to mention, a wonderful outfit you're wearing. It must take you and five servants at least half an hour to get into it."

The prince's chest swelled with pride. "Forty five minutes actually," as if an outfit was better the longer it took to put on.

"Ah I see. But from what I hear it only takes one filly 10 seconds to get you out. Come along Rarity, we're leaving."

They left the unicorn stallion fuming. "Well, I think I've had enough of this for one night. Shall we retire for the night?"

Rarity nodded. "Once again, thank you for saving me there your majes... Luna. I'm sorry to have caused any trouble for you."

"Trouble? Oh not at all. That was the most fun I've ever had at one of these balls. Besides, he had it coming, strutting around like he was important."

They made their way back to Luna's chambers, Rarity barely stifling a yawn. "Oh my, I'm more tired than I thought. Those balls really do take a lot out of you."

"Tired? Oh, well in that case we should leave the discussion about if you want to take the job or not until tomorrow. Do you have anywhere to stay tonight?" Rarity shook her head. "Right then. You may stay here for tonight then. The bathroom's through there if you need to take your makeup off."

"I thank you for the offer your.... Luna, but to be honest, I think I just need to get some rest. So, where am I to sleep?"

Luna motioned towards the bed. "Well, you have one option if you want a bed."

"Oh no, I couldn't possibly, that's your bed! Where will you sleep?"

"Well for one thing, it's big enough that we could both sleep in it together, but that won't be a problem either because I don't need to sleep. One of the benefits to being an immortal goddess. Oh, are you feeling okay? You look slightly off-colour..."

Rarity couldn't hide the blush that had spread over her face when the princess mentioned sleeping together. No, she didn't mean it like that! Really Rarity, what has come over you? "I'm fine Luna, really. I'm just tired." Besides, she's an immortal princess, it would never work out. Oh what am I thinking, even entertaining the idea of a crush on another mare...

"Well, if you insist. Have a good sleep, I'll see you in the morning then." Luna walked out to the balcony, magicking her dress off as she went. Upon reaching the edge, she spread her wings and flew away.

Rarity watched in awe. Oh it's no use. I DO have a crush on her. She climbed onto the bed and lay down. I'll worry about this in the morning. Right now I just need to sleep.... no, I must at least change out of this gown.... after I've lain down for a few seconds....

---

Rarity opened her blurry eyes. Rubbing them a few times, she eventually managed a clear view. The second thing she noticed was that she was no longer in her dress. The first thing she noticed though, was she was in bed, and snuggled against Princess Luna. This took a few seconds to properly process, and when it did, Rarity had to clasp her hooves over her mouth to prevent herself from screaming.

Calm down Rarity. I'm sure there's a good explanation for this...

Her musings were cut off as Luna rolled over and opened her eyes. "Ah, you're awake. I don't usually say this, but good morning." She climbed out of bed and stretched. "I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of undressing you and tucking you in last night. By the time I came back from my flight you were already out, and just lying on the covers instead of under them. You must have been tired."

Well, that answered one question. "But why were you in bed as well?" Rarity was trying her best not to blush just thinking about it. "I thought you didn't need sleep?"

"Oh, I don't. But that doesn't mean I can't. After all, why else would I have a bed at all if I couldn't sleep? I find a quick nap every couple of days is usually sufficient." There was a knock on the door. "Ah, that'll be breakfast. Punctual as always. It's good to know at least that hasn't changed in the years I've been away."

As Luna and Rarity sat down to breakfast, Rarity tried to order her thoughts. She knew she had a crush on Luna, but how to tell her? Should she even tell her? Luna noticed her guest's puzzled expression.

"Something on your mind dear?"

"What? Oh no, it's fine, it's just..."

"Ah, it's about the job isn't it. Have you come to a decision then?"

Rarity nodded. "Yes. I would be very honoured to be your personal dressmaker." She swallowed. May as well get it over with. "And there's another matter."

"Oh?" It was Luna's turn to look puzzled.

Another swallow. "I think... I think I'm in love with you Luna."

There was a silence. Nervous, Rarity tried to fill it. "I mean, I don't normally feel this way about other mares, but for some reason when I look at you I just feel all..."

"Rarity." Luna cut her off with a word. "I'm afraid I can't let you be my dressmaker any more."

"What?" The words shattered Rarity. She felt tears welling up in her eyes, and tried to hold them back.

"Please, try to understand. If you took the job as you are now, you'd be chasing after something you won't ever be able to get. I simply can't reciprocate your feelings. Not now, not ever."

"Is it just because I'm a mare as well?" Rarity managed to spit out through the tears, flowing freely now.

"No, that's not it at all. My answer would be the same if you were a stallion."

"Then why? Why can't you love me?"

"My dear, I do love you, just not in the way you're thinking. I just can't form a deep relationship with anypony. Please, understand. I'm immortal, or at least very long-lived. If I was to enter into a relationship with any pony, I would be entering into it knowing that at the end, I would have to bid them a teary farewell as they passed on. If I allow myself to feel that sort of attachment, I would end up being torn apart."

Luna got up from her side of the table and went round to Rarity. She embraced the weeping unicorn. "So I'm sorry, but I have to let you go. There's somepony else out there for you, be they filly or colt. But not me."

---

It was a week later. Rarity was back in Ponyville, mostly recovered from the ball. There was still an ache in her heart, but with everyday the pain grew less. Soon it would only be a dull memory.

There was a knock at the door. Rarity answered it, and had a packaged thrust upon her. "Special muffin!" The mailmare saluted, and then flew on her way.

Odd, Rarity wasn't expecting any packages. She inspected it, but was unable to find any return address. It was addressed to her though. Curious as what it could be, Rarity ripped open the package with her teeth. Upon getting to the interior Rarity let out a gasp. It was a roll of fabric, but it was unlike any fabric Rarity had seen in her life. It seemed to shimmer with the colour of the night sky itself. There was a note attached. Rarity had a feeling she knew who it was from, but she read it anyway.

"Dear Rarity. I once again apologise for having to crush your feelings the way I did. You deserve better. While I can't provide love for you, I can provide this. I wove this fabric myself from the night sky. The fabric is one of a kind, so use it well. Make yourself something that will be the envy of everypony in Equestria. With love, Luna."

Rarity finished reading the note, and smiled. "Thank you."

§§§§

Luna was back in the real world again. She didn't spare a glance for the sleeping unicorn, and flew out into the streets again.

"Aloof. Distant, yet caring. That's certainly how I've been acting recently, but is that how I want to continue?" With more to think about, Luna continued on her way.