• Published 30th Dec 2017
  • 2,628 Views, 64 Comments

Bringing Back The Laughter - Flutterpriest



Pinkie Pie has Passed away. After the funeral, the ponies of Ponyville put it upon themselves to bring a little party and laughter to their quiet town.

  • ...
8
 64
 2,628

Chapter 7 - Dustchu - Redheart

I failed. There was no doubt about that. I had one job as a medical practitioner, I was meant to save lives. I was supposed to save them!

But… that day I failed to save her, and I won’t ever be able to forgive myself for that.

Looking back on it, my heart still aches.

Pinkie Pie was a mare that could make you smile no matter what. She was a selfless pony whose only one wish in life was to bring you some form of happiness. Tireless like a machine, oiled with the prospect of fun and fueled by the determination to bring joy to Equestria, there was nopony like her.

Who else could have remembered everypony’s birthday like she did? Who else could have planned party after party with the same tenacity she did? Right down to the smallest details; the placement of the tables, the party poppers, the cake’s textures and taste.

And now? I failed everypony.

My eyes stung with fresh tears. I failed not only Pinkie Pie… a national hero, but I failed all of Equestria.

I can’t get her face out of my mind! Those baby blues dimming like a dying candle, her quivering lips, that last exhale of breath before she fell still.

I had rushed over as soon as I could, but I wasn’t fast enough.

The explosion from the cannon had worried me, and that worry was well founded. The post… the post had told me that impact against the building had ruptured a disk in her spine, which had ended up being fractured. Even if she… she had survived, she would have been paralyzed.

Even without that, I could have told it just from looking at her.

Some of her bubbly pink fur was singed off from the explosion, and her mane was burned a bit. Her eyes were dim and bloodshot, a ruptured vein in the eye, her mouth open and lying so still. I half expected her to jump up and shout, ‘What a rush!’ But… but she didn’t, she just lay there, unmoving.

I was so scared, I almost forgot my training. I checked her head to hoof. I cried, “Pinkie!” She didn’t answer me, “Stay with me, okay? Say something!” Not even so much as flick of her ears, “Pinkie! Pinkie Pie!” I checked her pulse.

Nothing.

She wasn’t breathing either! I checked her throat and tried chest compressions, “Pinkamena Diane Pie, don’t you dare! Tears flooded my eyes. No, no, she couldn’t! Pinkie, please! I followed standard CPR procedure. One, two, three, four, five, six, I went on and on.

But she didn’t so much as budge!

“Pinkie! Come on, honey, breathe! I need help!” I cried out to the other medical ponies nearby, and they rushed over. I couldn’t do this on my own.

But even with their help, I had still failed in my one duty to protect and save lives.

She was just... gone. No pulse, no breath, no flick of her ears. The Element of Laughter had passed on in my hooves and I sobbed like a foal.

What use am I as a nurse if I couldn’t save the life of a pony beloved by millions?

I sighed to myself, a hoof to my chest as I glared down at my nurse’s cap. The red cross that was also emblazoned onto my flank meant something, it meant, ‘don’t worry, I’m here to help you, and I will do my best to save you.’

That day, I didn’t uphold my promise…

I heard the ponies outside my medical tent, I heard their sullen conversation. Casting a glance back at the tent flap, I could see their shadowy outlines passing by, talking of fond memories they had of Pinkie Pie.

It was then I realized I was failing Pinkie once again.

She didn’t want tears. She didn’t want this… this self loathing mess of a mare that was me. She wanted ponies to remember her fondly, to smile and appreciate what she’s done for so many ponies over the many years she’s been our friend- everypony’s friend.

A shudder escaped me and I grabbed my nurse’s cap, before setting it firmly on my head. “I’m sorry, Pinkie,” I walked over and grabbed my saddlebags, filled with some basic first aid supplies and walked outside.

I saw the party was still going on, a party to remember an amazing mare.

I smiled, biting back my sorrows and looking up into the skies. I saw a few clouds floating around and I knew that… despite my failure, Pinkie understood and forgave me. She was never one to hold a grudge…

I promise you, Pinkie Pie, I’ll do my best to uphold my oath this time. With that set firmly in mind… I waded into the crowd of ponies, prepared to keep my promise and do my very best to be the nurse Ponyville needs.