• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 1,546 Views, 20 Comments

Dawn - Timefly



It's been ten years since Celestia's disappearance, and Luna's set on getting her back.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,546

Change - Part 1

Dawn - Change - Part 1

Thanks to Ukai and MintyRest for prereading/reviewing.

Luna reeled backwards, throwing up a dark blue shield as she somersaulted through the air. A momentary silence followed before a huge shock wave slammed into her with a deafening roar. The shield rippled under the force, flickering unsteadily as Luna fought to gain her sense of direction. Her breath came out thin and ragged as she fought to keep calm. Beads of perspiration flew off her cartwheeling body. A secondary roar followed the explosion, this time from a different source.

Carefully timing her movements, Luna launched her wings out, wincing in pain as they buffeted under the air resistance. With a shudder, her wild somersaulting ended. Her body whipped around violently, propelling her into a shaky, yet straight flight path.

Her shield died as a curtain of flame consumed her, baking the air and singing her coat. A cry of pain forced its way through gritted teeth as Luna pumped her wings with all her might. She shot forward, gaining speed. Another roar shook the air behind her, this time closer.

Luna swore under her breath. Steeling herself, she tilted her wings upward. Another cry of agony escaped her mouth as she was thrown upwards. Her wings momentarily buckled under the pressure, causing her to flip in mid air.

Time slowed as she hung upside down. Her hooves flew over her body and her head stared down towards what had almost been her death. The edges of her mouth pulled tight as the realization struck her.

Occupying the space directly below was a large, behemothic form. Thick black scales armoured the heaving bulk of an adult dragon. Its wings were the colour of slate and its spines were a dull silver. It had a long, slender neck, with a head like an arrow. Muscular legs were tucked into its sides and its sinuous tail stretched out behind it.

Time sped up again as Luna regained her flight path. Pulling her wings in, she let herself slow as she angled downwards. A gust of air blew past her as the dragon spread its wings to brake. It lifted its head and roared, anger at its lost prey giving the sound a menacing venom.

Luna began to move, slipping into the recitation of a chant she knew all too well. A sense of determination gripped her as her whole body tensed, her wings and legs clenched into her sides. Shivers ran down her spine as the dragon coiled upwards, twisting its body to fly towards her. Its eyes met hers; two piercing gazes locked on one another. Luna struggled not to look away. Its eyes were a deep blue, haunted by a tragic beauty.

As Luna hurtled down towards it, its mouth opened, revealing a precise row of razor sharp teeth which glinted in the sunlight. A faint grey mist coalesced around Luna’s horn, thickening to a fog as her speed increased and glowing as her words became louder.

Not by might.

A thin smile spread across the dragons cracked lips. Its cold eyes glinted.

Not by brawn.”

Luna’s face twisted in rage; a snarl escaping between words.

Not by night.”

With the dragon almost upon her, Luna could feel its hot breath and the wind of its powerful wing beats.

But by the first light of dawn.”

A blinding white light erupted from the tip of Luna’s horn; a beam burning through the air.


The black, serpentine head of the dragon drifted from side to side with steady rhythm. Its pupils were wide and its eyes were glossy. A thin, blue aura encased its lips, causing them to move out of time to its purported voice.

“And I’m very sorry, Luna, for all the trouble I’ve caused you,” it said in a comically deep voice.

“That is quite alright, Mr Dragon,” Luna said with a flick of a hoof, “I must admit that you almost had me back there.”

“Well, I’m afraid I mistook you for someone else.”

The dragon’s tongue lolled out of its mouth, before falling to the ground as it was cut cleanly through by a sharp row of teeth. A small trickle of dark blood ran down its chin, staining the green grass below it.

Luna sighed, relinquishing her magical hold on the dragon’s head. Its neck slumped down immediately, the skull impacting the ground with a sharp thud. With another sigh, she closed her eyes and massaged her temples with her hooves.

“What were you thinking, Luna,” she admonished, “you could have gotten yourself killed. There was no reason to get that close to it.”

Luna looked out across the carcass in front of her. Its thick, black hide held a dull gleam under the afternoon sun. The body lay spread-eagled along the ground. A massive hole carved its way through the back of the beast, dripping a vile concoction of burnt blood and bile. The edges of the hole were clean cut. Melted scales formed strange ripples along the underlying flesh.

Waiting for a heaving sensation, but feeling none, Luna drew her sword. A long blade formed from shadow and fire. Tongues of flame licked at its edges as she positioned over the neck of the cadaver. With one swift movement, she brought it down, severing off the head. She then dropped the blade. It gave a soft hiss before turning to ash.

Scrunching her eyes closed, she summoned a flock of bats with a small effort of will. With another, the bats coalesced into a writhing mass. Coming to a halt, the masses formed into a large cloth. Luna lay the cloth out flat on the ground and levitated the head towards it. She paused briefly to inspect her work and, on finding it satisfactory, lowered the head onto the cloth and wrapped the cloth around it tightly.

The package sat in front of her, matching her in height. She stood up, spreading her wings wide. She turned and paused for a while, looking over the landscape before her.

Around Luna, lay miles upon miles of rich grassland. To her right lay the Great Northern Mountains, housing the Queendom of Canterlot and the ‘Alabaster City’ itself. To her left lay the rolling hillsides beneath Cloudsdale, the sprawling city casting the countryside beneath in shadow. Directly in front of her lay the Everfree forest. The sun hung over Everfree, catching the canopy in the warm, yellow light. All around her was seemingly peaceful.

Scanning more closely, Luna caught sides of patches of shade across the countryside; shadows of smaller sky settlements outside of Cloudsdale.

Luna’s face pulled into a frown. Over the past few years, Cloudsdale had begun a campaign of expansion, aggressively expanding its borders out over Everfree and towards Canterlot. The move had sparked tensions in the region. Ones which Luna rather not dwell on.

With a series of wingbeats, Luna took off setting her path towards Canterlot, the beast’s head in tow.


The streets of Canterlot were abuzz with the activity of market day. All around, white streets were lined with cart after cart of goods, ranging from the most luxurious fabrics to the most deadly weapons. Bands of royal guards wandered to and fro while city folk did business with merchants and nobles trotted haughtily through the streets.

A cloaked mare cut a path through the busy streets. Ponies gave wide berth upon seeing the thin white band of material around her neck; the sign of a mercenary. Above her floated a large, brown bundle wrapped in sackcloth.

Luna’s eyes darted around warily, looking for any sign of trouble. The streets were calm though, discluding the usual hubbub. Her midnight blue hooves glided silently across the clean cobblestones. Her gait was quick and graceful, attempting to draw as little attention as possible.

Without warning, a gaggle of playing foals cut straight in front of her. Luna stumbled, almost dropping her package, yet regaining her step before any commotion could ensue. Silently swearing under her breath, she continued, pulling the cloak tighter around her.

The cloak was a simple affair. A large, black piece of fabric hung loosely over her back so as to hide her figure. A modest, silver broach fastened the front together and held her mercenary band in place. Her head was covered over by a large, baggy hood, draping over her horn and concealing her mane. The cloak covered her from head to withers, effectively hiding her identity.

She continued down street after street of stalls and tall, spiring buildings. An indifferent populace paid her no heed allowing her to relax a little as she went.

Navigating Canterlot was quite the task as the city expanded, the outer reaches transforming from a series of dirt tracks into well paved highways. Luna furtively searched for her target. Sweat began to wet her brow as the strain of carrying her load became apparent.

Finally, she arrived. Half way along one of the larger roads running through to the center stood a large, white, military issue tent. The side of the tent was emblazoned with the insignia of the royal guard; a six pointed, pink star upon a purple shield, crowned with three blue stars.

Luna sat down, adjusting her hood and bringing her load down to ground level. She ran a hoof through her mane, melting into the cool sensation against her sweaty head. Her eyes glanced up, taking in one last look at the pink, shielded sky, before standing and marching forward.

Inside the tent, the atmosphere was hectic. Guards and clerks rushed everywhere, shifting through the organized chaos of an army office. The tent was filled with desks piled up with papers. A loud din filled the air, chatter and shouts and commands flying all over the place. Luna walked in a straight line down the main causeway splitting the tent into two sections. In front of her stood a large desk, neatly organized and manned by two ponies who sat patiently.

Upon reaching the desk, Luna was met with two icy glares, which she respectfully returned. The first to speak was the pony to her left, a butch, yellow female earth pony with a strawberry mane wearing the standard gold guard’s armor.

“What?!”

“That’s not very polite.” Luna raised an eyebrow, only to be met with an even colder glare.

“We’re not hiring mercenaries right now,” exclaimed the stallion to Luna’s right.

He was a thinly built unicorn, the kind you might find slinking around in the shadows. He had a sharp muzzle and his eyes were a sharp green. His mane was a dark black, contrasting his hazel coat.

“I’m here to collect a reward.”

“What reward?” the mare asked pointedly, leaning forward as she did.

“The one offered for handing in a dragon’s head.”

The two guards threw doubtful looks at one another before looking over Luna’s shoulder.

“I assume that is the dragon’s head,” the stallion stated, a hint of incredulity running through his voice.

“You assume correctly.”

Luna slung the bundle onto the desk, spilling paper everywhere. Ripping the cloth apart with her magic, she revealed the jet black head underneath. The guards reeled backwards in shock, looking to one another for support but both failing to form words. Luna glanced between the pair, contempt clearly showing on her face.

“You two call yourselves royal guards and you can’t even make sense of a dead dragon head. Here is the head, now give me my reward,” she finished in a mocking tone.

The stallion moved forwards again, regaining some composure.

“How do we know this is the real deal?”

Luna met his gaze with a pointed stare. With a gulp and an unsteady step backwards, he squeaked, “Give her her money.”

The mare scrambled under the desk keeping her eyes on Luna the entire time. Upon finding what she was looking for, she pulled a small, leather satchel out with her hooves and tossed it to Luna.

Catching it in her mouth, Luna curtly nodded to the pair.

“Thank you kindly.”

Turning to go, Luna added, “Oh, he’s missing a tongue.”

With that she left, leaving behind a severed head, two shaken guards and a room of confused onlookers.


The evening sun set the sky alight with hues of red and gold. Luna sat at a table outside a small cafe, sipping at a cocoa and soaking in the view. About her, stalls welcomed the last customers of the day and ponies marched through the streets, determined to get home after a long working day. The cafe bordered one of the many parks of Canterlot which was, at this time of day, busy with families and alive with sounds of foals playing.

The table Luna sat at was a round veneer table with a small parasol standing above. It provided pitiful shade against the low hanging sun. Luna swirled the chocolate liquid in its mug, savouring the taste while the pleasure lasted. Feeling a draught, she pulled her cloak in tight, snuggling into the relative warmth.

“It’s not often that you see a hardened mercenary enjoying a peaceful drink in Canterlot.”

The voice came from the large figure who now towered over the table, seemingly having appeared from nowhere.

“It’s not often that the Queen meets with hardened mercenaries, surely you fear a scandal.”

Luna looked upwards, flashing a sly smile at the pink alicorn standing over her.

“I’m glad to see you again, Luna.”

“I’m glad to see you too, Cadence, but I am sincere in my concern.”

Cadence drew out the chair opposing Luna and sat down, throwing Luna a wry smile as she did.

Cadence had grown considerably in recent years. Gone was the small, frail form that she once held. In its place was the tall and slender yet muscular form of a fully grown alicorn. Her horn had also grown; from the regular stub of a unicorn’s horn, to the majestic peak of a ruler. The pinks and yellows of her mane swept behind her, billowing majestically. Fastened around her neck was a subtly gilded necklace matched by a set of gilded shoes.

“With everything that goes on nowadays, ponies would be shocked to not find their Queen having a secret meeting with a shady character, pun intended.”

“I suppose you are right.”

Luna cast her eyes back down to her cocoa, watching the swirling liquid curl around the mug’s edges.

“It’s been a long time, Luna,” Cadence said, putting on an alluring tone.

Luna’s eyes shot up to Cadence, her back bristling. With a strict finality she murmured, “No.”

Cadence’s face fell to a pout.

“Oh, come on”

“No.”

“Come on.”

“No!”

“Come on?”

Luna’s eyes threw daggers at Cadence. Cadence just sat there, her face unmoving from the pitiful pout it held.

Finally, Luna relented, “Go on then.”

Without hesitation, Luna was drawn into a bearhug, lasting too long for her liking.

“Okay, enough.” Luna lodged a hoof between the pair and forced Cadence off of her. Cadence rolled back over the table and rolled onto the floor with a somewhat mad giggle.

“You’re the Queen, for goodness sake. Have some dignity.” Luna ruffled her feathers, her face turning sour.

A cheeky smile framed Cadence’s face. Playfully she cooed, “You’re the best auntie ever, Luna.”

Put off, Luna cast her eyes back to her cocoa, swirling it all the more vigorously.

“You creased my cloak,” she mumbled.

“Anyway,” Cadence began, adopting a serious tone, “how are things?”

“Well, I suppose. I’ve started killing dragons for money.”

“Oh.” Cadence raised an eyebrow.

“The Royal Guard are offering rewards for dragon heads. I finally have a source of steady income.” At this Luna smiled with smug satisfaction.

“It’s nice to hear you finally found a job. As for me, I must admit, it’s not easy running a country. Especially when I must follow on the footsteps of the two greatest monarchs who ever lived.”

“Yes, well, you know I don’t care for flattery, Cadence. How is Shining Armor?”

Cadence sighed, and leant back in her chair.

“He still hasn’t come back.”

“From the peace expedition to the griffin kingdom?” Luna leant forward, a hint of worry in her voice.

“Hmm,” Cadence nodded, “I receive letters regularly, but still. His party happened across a dragon cave. Obviously they wouldn’t let the opportunity pass, but it would be nice to have him back.”

Cadence slipped down in her chair a little.

“Well, I’m sorry to hear that. Is that what you wanted to see me about?” Luna looked at Cadence quizzically.

“No, no, that’s fine,” Cadence pulled herself up in her chair and shooed the idea away with a hoof, “What I called you here for is to tell you that they’ve found them.”

What?” Luna’s blood froze in her veins, a chill shooting up her spine and stinging her head.

Cadence leaned in, and repeated herself slowly, “They’ve found them, Luna.”

“Where?” Luna’s voice was but a whisper.

“Chrysalis has them. My spies were unable to find out how she got them, but from what they gather, she’s had them for some time.”

Silence followed. Cadence let her words sink in as Luna brooded. After a few minutes of soaking in the evenings ambience, Luna made up her mind and spoke up. Her words were slow and deliberate.

“Cadence, I would like to ask a favour of you?”

Cadence, lost in thought, took a moment to compose herself, briefly letting slip a look of concern, before regaining her regal composure.

“What is it, Luna?”

“I would like you to accompany me to the Northern Spire to confront Chrysalis.”

Cadence fumbled for words, “But, Luna, I—”

“After the last interaction we had with the Changeling race, I am somewhat apprehensive about going on my own. Chrysalis is not to be underestimated and I would feel much more at ease if you were to accompany me.” Luna brought her hooves together in front of her, trying to hide the hints of fear on her face.

“Luna, it’s just...”

“Yes?”

“I, well,” Cadence’s eyes drifted off to one side, her form sunk slightly, relaxing, “The thing is, I fear for the country.”

Cadence glanced towards Luna, who replied by raising an eyebrow.

Cadence continued, “In recent months cousin Blueblood has been growing restless. His influence at court grows everyday. He would never stage anything when I’m around, he fears for his life as I’ve been known to be not exactly, umm, how should I put it? Accepting, let’s say that. I’ve not been known to be very accepting of insubordination. But if I were to leave, I would not be surprised if he were to try something.”

Luna gave Cadence an indignant stare, causing the pink alicorn to shift uncomfortably in her seat. “What’s this really about, Cadence?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know as well as I do that if Blueblood tried anything you’d crush him like a worm. Plus, if needed, I would myself intervene.”

They held each other’s gaze, letting time pass. After what felt like an eternity, Cadence relented.

“I’m worried about Shining Armor. The Royal Guard are already distrusted. For him to come home to an uprising would put him in mortal danger.”

Luna sighed and began to massage her temples, taking some solace in the act.

“Cadence,” Luna’s tone was firm, caching Cadence’s attention, “I want you to listen to me. Shining Armor puts himself in mortal danger everyday. It’s his job. I know you wish it was different, and I know that you worry, but there are greater things happening. I’m sorry you have to hear this Cadence, but you must listen. If we can get them from Chrysalis, the Elements of Harmony, then we can put everything right. We can end all of this. No more dragons, no more split Equestria, no more pointless deaths. All you have to do is trust me. Do you trust me, Cadence?”

Cadence’s eyes were firmly glued to the ground, set like stone. Without another breath she spoke, “Just answer me one question, Luna?”

Their gaze locked once more, Cadence’s eyes hardening, “Are you sure she’s still alive?”

“Cadence, I’m certain. Every fibre of her body cries out to me. She’s still alive, I know it. When I first thought she was gone, I tried to set the sun, but I couldn’t because she still had a hold of it. Even now I can feel her. The sun basks the earth in her magic. Just being under it, her radiance calls out to me. But we must act, Cadence. Every day that goes by, I feel her magic weaken. She’s not the only one moving the sun, someone is helping her. But every time it rises there’s a little less of her magic and a little more of the other entity’s magic. I don’t know how long we have. All I know is that with the Elements, we can find her, and put all this right.”

What seemed like an eternity passed, time slowed. Ponies rushed by and the sun moved in the sky. Some time later Cadence replied with one single word, “Okay.”

With that she got up, and casting Luna one steely glance, she added, “I’ll meet you at sunrise, sleep well.”

And then she was gone, leaving behind a Luna deep in contemplation, soaking in the sun’s dying rays.