• Published 5th Nov 2017
  • 279 Views, 3 Comments

A New Hero - 21latenighter



Once a legend, Fury is put to the test once again as he checks on a seemingly small errand that proves to be the beginning of something great...

  • ...
 3
 279

The Secret of the Ursa

As Fury walked down the Lone path through the edge of Ponyville that led into the gigantic forest that was the Everfree, he was drawn back to memories dated back a thousand years, back to the last time he had encountered his enemy.

Bang!!

Fury brought forth another spell to open the massive doors of the black crystal castle. He and a small squadron of Pegasi and unicorn had stormed the empire, only to find it barren, it's ponies missing.

BANG!!!

The door only shuttered as his spell struck, enraging the alicorn more. He screamed out in anger as he began to kick the door with his back legs, trying to get through to the king within. His troops were searching for survivors throughout the kingdom, all finding the same thing… emptiness, and a deathly silence.

As Fury called upon his Guardian magic, the door slowly creaked open,

Creeeeaaak…

He could hear the distant laughter of his enemy, and blinded by rage, Fury charged in to meet his nemesis head on.

He found Kaorn, or now King Sombra, sitting upon the throne that once held his father. Fury's rage intensified as he fired blindly into the path of the dark ruler, only finding bits of crystal behind him.

Kaorn began to laugh as he descended from his dark throne.

“Hahahahaaa… you have grown weak in my absence Fury, greatest of your fathers mistakes…” he said slowly as he produced a black scythe with his magic....

Fury blinked his eyes as he was brought back to the present, and looked up at the mouth of a gigantic cave. The entrance was pitch black, and seemed to play a soft song to lure victims into its depths. For the first time in a long time, Fury felt the tingle of fear trickling up his spine. He shuttered as it got to his neck, bringing him to a cold sweat. He was the fearless Fury Flight, a legendary warrior, and now scared to go into a cave. He was truthfully scared of what he would find inside, he had only seen an Ursa once before, but then it was only a glimpse.

“You seem troubled,” came a voice as Fury nearly jumped out of his skin.

“HUH!! WHAA!!! LUNA!!” Fury screamed as he looked to his surprise guest, his younger sister, Princess Luna.

“H-how long have you been standing there?” He asked as he got his wits about him.

“Long enough,” she answered.

“So why are”

“Apparently our sister thinks that we weren't a suitable candidate for this mission she sent her prized student on, and insisted that we accompany you here,” Luna said as she cut Fury off.

“So.. you too?” He asked, in a soft but loving tone.

“Yes, even after we insisted we protect the empire since we, we..” Luna said before she cut herself off with a tear.

“Hey hey hey…” Fury soothed, “you didn't know that the Elements would banish the empire too, it's ok..”

Luna's tears nearly dried up instantly as she smiled weakly to Fury before looking to the inside. “Well, let us do this and be done with it,” she said as she used her magic to light her horn and slowly walked into the darkness. Fury reluctantly lit his own horn and followed, not going to be shown up by a mare, his sister no less.

As they walked through the cave, they could smell the sweet fragrance of lavender coming from the center of the cave, which seemed endless in every direction. They could feel a breeze coming from the cave, but the air was warm, and had a peculiar berry scent to it.

It was then they heard the muffled growl of something enormous. The sound echoed through the cave and shook the ground they stood on, causing them to take to the air to keep their balance.

“I think we have the conformation we need,” Luna whispered to Fury, who nodded and began to turn around when the cave began to illuminate.

Shakily he brought his eyes back to the darkness to see an eye bigger than him looking him and Luna down. Fury gulped and slowly glided to the ground where the eye rested, followed by Luna.

The eye then became a head, massive enough to take a bite out of Ponyville. Its mouth, though closed for now, was full of teeth larger than Luna or himself, and sparkling in the darkness with a glowing saliva.

The head now grew to a body, one that put even the biggest dragon to shame, equipped with claws massive enough to reduce Canterlot to pebbles with a single blow.

“Th-th-that's n-not a-an U-Ursa m-m-minor… I-it-it's a-an U-ur-Ursa M-M-Major,” Luna said as she quaked, shivering to the bone.

The massive Ursa opened its mouth, revealing the rest of its teeth, glimmering in the now illuminated cave. The space of its jaws was so massive that he and Luna could hold hooves and stretch out and still not touch either side. From its mouth came a yawn that nearly split their eardrums.

RRRAAAAAWWWWWRRRRR…

The beast then returned its gaze to the two ponies in front of it.

“WHO DARES AWAKEN ME FROM MY SLUMBER!!!!!!” it growled.

“It can talk?” Luna whispered to herself as she remained frozen in fear before the magnificent creature.

Fury gulped his guts back down his throat before speaking to the beast. “It is I, Fury Flight, and my sister, Luna,”

The beast bowed in respect to Luna, who managed a small grin. “Luna, queen of the night, I am pleased to see you grown..”

Luna's fear left her as she looked up to the Ursa with interest. “Grown, we never met, we would have remembered meeting something such as yourself.”

“We never met face to face, but we have watched you grow up from a young filly to a great mare…” it said tiredly as it laid its massive head back down.

“How?” Luna asked, now inches away from the Ursa’s eye.

“We were befriended by a yellow alicorn and asked to protect her children from any harm in the forest…”
It said as it took a paw and scratched an itch on its mid back.

“You, you knew our mother?” Luna asked slowly, with stars in her eyes. Luna had limited memories of her mother, remembering very little of her, only a moment here and there.

“Yes, though I was only a cub at the time,” it said.

“Where are the others?” Fury asked, interrupting the two.

The Ursa turned its head to face Fury as it spoke. “Your war spared no race, ours included… me and my cub may be the only Ursas left.”

Fury bowed his head at the mention of the war the bear spoke of, the Great Alicorn War… the war he lost his parents to, but gained the Elements of Harmony. “I-I I'm so sorry… many mistakes were made by us.”

“Yes, but they were corrected by the great power bestowed upon your kind by the life bringer..” the Ursa said. “She would be pleased to see the world you and your brethren have made…”

“Y-you speak of her as if she is an old friend, d-did you know her?” Fury asked.

“Yes… and I know her still..”

“H-how, she left this world thousands of years ago?” Fury asked again, perplexed.

“The race of Ursa are more than just gigantic bears stumbling around the forest, we are beings of the fifth dimension, able to live and see through time… and thus, I came to know her,” the Ursa said as it began to slowly set up, rumbling the ground as it did so.

“You're saying you can see and speak to her?” Fury said as an idea popped into his head.

“You wish to speak to her, do you not?” It asked as it's piercing eyes looked through Fury's question.

Fury slowly nodded, “y-yes, I-I would..”

The Ursa brought one of its huge paws to the ground. “Climb aboard then, and we will speak to her…”

Fury didn't hesitate as he jumped onto the gigantic paw, then he turned to Luna and offered a hoof. “Come on, you'll wanna meet her.”

Luna followed her brother onto the Ursa as it began to glow a bright white before disappearing altogether.

They reappeared in a dimension of white, inhabited by a single pony, looking through a window that showed their world. The pony was an alicorn, with a coat of pure white, and a flowing red mane that lay softly upon her neck, straight and elegant. She turned to them to reveal soft brown eyes that could cut through any evil. This was the pony that had created all life in their world, from the smallest insect to the largest Ursa.