• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 2,380 Views, 38 Comments

Twilight's Phobia - Homage



Twilight Sparkle is usually a calm and collected pony... Except for one fear that controls her life.

  • ...
2
 38
 2,380

The Picnic

Twilight's Phobia, by Homage

Chapter 1: The Picnic

Twilight Sparkle was having a fabulous day. The weather was perfect, she had followed her schedule to the letter, and Spike had even woken up on time without having to be nagged. She had already finished her letter to Princess Celestia, and she was headed to Ponyville Park for an afternoon picnic with Fluttershy and Angel.

She walked out of the Ponyville Library, accompanied by Spike, carrying a basket containing three blankets, ten slices of bread, six cups of potato salad, four tomatoes, two cucumbers, six paper cups, and six paper bowls (she had already double- and triple-checked to make sure she had backups and backups for the backups). Spike carried Twilight's checklist and schedule, in addition to a quill, ink, and two backups of each.

The lavender unicorn trotted along the dirt road with a smile on her face. She exclaimed to her assistant, “Spike, you have no idea how much I've been looking forward to this!”

The baby dragon replied, “Calm down, Twilight; it's just a picnic.”

“You don't understand!” blurted the lavender pony, “It's been a whole season since I have spent any time with Fluttershy!”

Spike thought for a moment, and asked, “Wasn't that when she stole the Princess' pet? That was last summer, and it's spring now, so that would be three seasons ago. Aren't you supposed to be the smart one?”

-----------------------------------------

Twilight and her assistant finally arrived at Ponyville Park after a heated debate over the nature of reality. The unicorn took a look around the empty field, and asked, “Where is everypony?”

“Dunno,” her assistant responded. “Is it some kind of pony holiday?”

“Not that I know of,” Twilight answered.

“Is it...” Spike gulped, “zombies?”

Twilight's response was interrupted by a faint, but distinct “eep” from a nearby tree.

The lavender unicorn and her assistant approached the tree. Up in the branches, they saw a shaking Fluttershy clutching a scowling Angel in her hooves.

“Z-z-z-zombie ponies?” the pegasus stuttered.

“There are no zombies, Fluttershy,” Twilight told her.

Relieved, the yellow pegasus softly said, “Oh, good,” and started flying back down to the ground with Angel on her back. “I guess I got a bit carried away.” Her pet bunny seemed to agree, from the angry stomping and gestures he made once back on his feet.

Twilight asked her friend, “Fluttershy, do you know where everypony is?” The lavender unicorn added, “Usually this park is really crowded on a day like this.”

“Um...” said the yellow pegasus, “they went to see the traveling zoo. I think.”

“A zoo? Like with animals?” asked Spike.

“Um... yes, or... something like that,” the yellow pegasus confirmed.

“But Fluttershy,” Twilight stated, “you love animals. Why didn't you go?”

“Um... because we had a picnic scheduled, and I know you are really busy, and um...” the yellow pegasus trailed off. “It's ok, I didn't really want to go anyway. I'd rather have a picnic here... with you... away from the thing in the town square.”

“Don't be ridiculous!” exclaimed Twilight. “Spike, take the picnic basket home; Fluttershy and I are going to the zoo!”

Spike picked up the basket in his claw, grumbling under his breath.

Fluttershy felt a small, furry paw frantically tapping her hind-leg. “Um, Spike,” she started, “Would it be possible for you to please take Angel with you? I mean, if it's not too much trouble.”

Spike's eyes went wide as he remembered the last time he petsitted for Fluttershy. But how could he say no to such a kind mare? “Sure, Fluttershy,” the purple dragon answered. “C'mon, Angel.”

Twilight and Fluttershy set off toward Ponyville Town Square. While they were trotting along, Fluttershy was nervously staring at the ground, because she knew exactly what kind of traveling animal exhibit it was.

“Um... Twilight?” the pegasus whispered.

“What is it, Fluttershy?” the grinning unicorn asked.

“Um... nevermind,” Fluttershy muttered, finishing her sentence with a small squeak.

The two ponies continued walking to the crowd gathered in the center of town.

“This will be fun, right Fluttershy? And interesting, too!”

“Um... yes.” The yellow pegasus looked at the ground. “Very... um... interesting.”