• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 529 Views, 9 Comments

High Noon At Dodge Junction - Gpizano



The stakes have never been higher for Applejack when a small matter of love turns into an all out showdown at Dodge Junction. Can Applejack get her feelings off her chest? Or will she not only lose Cherry Jubilee but also her life?

  • ...
2
 9
 529

It's Complicated, Darlin'

After going back and forth that week about whether or not to confess, Applejack could confidently say... she was still going back and forth on it even during the whole train ride. At the moment the blonde mare was leaning against the side of her window seat, staring out at the landscape that had changed from lush green to a still lively desert. She'd faced Nightmare Moon, Discord, a Chimera, and a whole slew of other things over the years but she was still ready to turn tail and run at the prospect of telling Cherry how she felt. Wasn't that a kick in the teeth?

There was a call from the conductor that they were coming up at Dodge Junction and then they were coming to a halt. Applejack took a deep breath before collecting her saddlebags and getting off her rump, heading to the exit of the train car onto the platform. It wouldn't take long to pick out Cherry from the crowd, the woman stood out with how distinctive she was from her style to her personality. Without a thought, a bright smile came to Applejack's face as she raised a hoof and waved to the older mare before trotting over to meet her. "Hey there Cherry!" she greeted.

"Applejack!" she said, a smile on her face that reached up to those warm green eyes as she pulled the cowpony into a quick hug, causing the smallest skip to happen in Applejack's heart. "Good ya' got here safe n' sound! Now let's get goin', them cherries ain't gonna' pick themselves!"

"Gotcha'." said Applejack, giving a nod before trotting along with the older mare towards Cherry Hill Ranch. "So how ya' been?"

"Oh fine since ya' last saw me, sugarcube." she said, sending a smile Applejack's way that sent that heart skipping again. "Ain't nothin' to tell ya' about, jes' the usual work each day. How 'bout you?"

"Same more or less."

"No savin' the world last Ah saw ya'?" teased the red haired mare.

"Nothin' like that lately." Applejack joked in turn. "Nah lately it's been pretty quiet s'far as dealin' with emergencies n' such. Been pretty nice actually."

"Ah bet. Couldn't imagine bein' on call n' called away from mah work. Ah mean Ah'd do it of course but it just seems like it'd be hard on yer life." mused Cherry.

"A bit yeah." admitted Applejack with a nod.

From there they made small talk that Applejack found enjoyable, talk about work, rodeos, what was going on in each other's corner of the worlds. It was just the right amount of lively but also mellow and easy going at the same time. Applejack found she could talk to Cherry about a lot of things and there was rarely a dull moment. She really liked that...

Once they reached Cherry Hill Ranch, she'd be shown to a room in the mare's very own home. Cherry wouldn't set her to work right away, instead letting her get comfortable first and having a bite to eat before they headed out into the orchard. By now Applejack was used to harvesting cherries, the trees weren't as strong and sturdy as apple trees so one had to be more careful in knocking them down from the tree with just the right amount of force in a kick.

Both she and Cherry would work the area, shaking and lightly bucking the trees, collecting cherries in the baskets and doing it all over again. It was nice, peaceful work, didn't need any gums flapping and that was how Applejack liked it sometimes. There was a sort of serenity to it that not many people understood. But as nice as it was to just work, Applejack knew she had another goal while here so with that in mind she cleared her throat to get Cherry's attention "So." she began but her mind drew a blank on how to continue.

"So?" repeated Cherry with a teasing smile as she gently bucked another tree.

"Uh..." dangit, this was no time to get tongue-tied! "Rarity tried settin' me up with random stallions n' mares not too long ago."

"Oh yeah? Any catch yer' fancy?" asked Cherry, seeming distracted for a moment as she noticed something down the path.

"Nah, not really." said Applejack, giving a light shrug and a smile, not noticing that the other seemed distracted "Ah mean, Ah got somepony Ah like but-"

"Why Cherry Jubilee as Ah live and breath." called a stallion that was trotting up to them. He was tall and had some muscle on him, his coat a ruddy brown with dark green hair, mane styled short along with the tail and a mustache growing from his upper lip. He was dressed in a vest and while he wore a friendly smile, there was something in those orange eyes that Applejack didn't quite like. Especially with how they were looking at Cherry Jubilee and making her uncomfortable.

"Draw Out." Cherry said, sounding civil but looking as if she'd rather be anywhere else. "It's been awhile. What brings ya' back ta' Dodge Junction?"

The stallion with the royal flush cutie mark grinned and said "Jes' came by to talk a bit. Though perhaps we should talk away from the help." he said, glancing over to Applejack, his words making the blonde mare's temper spike a bit.

"She ain't help, she's a friend. Now let's go talk." said Cherry, trotting off with Draw Out and leaving Applejack alone. The blonde gave a small huff and went back to work, not liking the stallion in the slightest. There was just something oily about him that put her off. She'd collect from a few more trees before Cherry came back, looking a bit uneasy but fine over all.

"You okay?" asked Applejack.

"Jes' fine, sugarcube. Let's get back to work." said Cherry, in a tone where Applejack thought better than to push the subject. The silence this time as they worked was just a little more tense and less serene than what she liked.


They worked into the late afternoon, collecting cherries and then separating the good from the bad ones before heading off to dinner. By then Cherry had regained her usual vivacious personality that it put Applejack at ease, thinking that there was nothing to worry about with that stallion from earlier. At least that was what she had thought until she passed by the main foyer and saw Draw Out waiting there, looking like he'd just let himself in. "S'alright sugarcube." assured Cherry, placing a hoof on Applejack's shoulder. "Y'all jes' head on up to yer room, Ah got some business to be dealin' with."

"You sure?" asked Applejack, looking uncertain.

"Yeah. Ah'll be fine, you just go." assured Cherry again, giving Applejack one last smile before heading into the main foyer while Applejack headed up the stairs. Despite how uneasy the blonde felt, she still managed to stay in her room for about ten minutes before coming back down as quietly as she could. The place was very well maintained so no chance of squeaky loose floorboards. She got to the top of the stairs when what she heard from the foyer made her blood start to boil.

"Draw! Ah said get offa' me!"

"C'mon now sugar~" came the stallion's oily voice "Ya' know what we got is pure magic. Obviously ain't somethin' ya' ever had after me since Ah don't see no ring."

"Ah said get off!" said Cherry before there came the sound of a solid hit and a body hitting the floor. Applejack was down the stairs quick as lightning, eyes taking in the scene of a ruffled looking Cherry next to a sitting couch while Draw Out was on the floor. Surprised by the blonde mare's sudden entrance, Cherry took her gaze off the stallion for a moment "Applejack?! What are you-?"

"You miserable..." growled Draw, rubbing his jaw and glaring at Cherry. However, before he could make a move Applejack was quick to be by Cherry's side, glaring daggers at him.

"Ya' better leave. Now." she warned.

"... fine." he said, grunting as he pulled himself up onto his hooves "But this ain't over. Me n' mah ex-wife still got lots ta' talk about." With that he turned and trotted off to the door, leaving a stunned Applejack behind to look over at a grimacing Cherry.

Finally with a sigh, Cherry said "Ah suppose y'all 'r curious now."

"A l'il yeah." admitted Applejack.

"Let it wait 'til the monin', sugarcube. It's a long story..."

Author's Note:

Cliff hanger! Lol. XD

Anyways, meet Draw Out, which is a poker term for turning a losing hand into a winning hand. Poker. Because wild west.

So the plot thickens! See you next time!