• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 784 Views, 51 Comments

CTF Haymaker - totallynotabrony



A multinational coalition lands in the minotaur homeland for a disaster relief operation. However, all may not be as it seems. A comment driven story.

  • ...
2
 51
 784

Chapter 6

The human journalists were guests of the CTF. They did good work covering the humanitarian efforts, but were limited to HQ. Getting access to the rest of the country depended on getting a ride on a CTF vehicle.

Equestrian news crews were not so restricted. Pegasus reporters were already entering Tauros and covering broader areas of the country.

Spitfire suggested the CTF to set up a desk in HQ devoted to watching Equestrian news. Media reports were another way to get information in addition to ground teams and airborne reconnaissance.

In addition to the CTF, NGOs had begun to arrive. The American Red Cross began loading supplies and personnel in Hawaii for transport via C-130. Their Equestrian counterpart, Red Sun, had already mobilized. HQ itself was military-only, but the compound surrounding it was getting crowded, especially with the arrival of more and more minotaurs seeking aid.

Celebrities, too, had begun to pitch in, though most of them limited their efforts to Twitter. Bono was supposedly in Manehattan doing a charity event. However, a more homegrown personality had already arrived.

Iron Will was some kind of self-help guru who was well known in Equestria. By King Coal's request, Iron Will had been invited to HQ. No one was really clear what he was supposed to do, perhaps not even Iron Will himself, but he spoke several languages and at the very least was good for a spectacle. He was constantly making speeches that appeared to lift everyone's morale, particularly his disaster-afflicted fellow minotaurs.


Spitfire was reviewing weather reports when Captain Flash Sentry walked into her office tent.

He wore simple green fatigues and carried a spear. Despite being a pegasus, he was a member of the Equestrian Army, in fact the commander of the ground element sent to Tauros. He struck Spitfire as a little bit junior to be leading such a force, though she knew the Army did things differently. Regardless, she had a copy of the order designating him and signed by Princess Twilight, and would not question it.

"Captain, how was the trip?" she asked.

"Better now that it's over, ma'am," he replied. "How are things here?"

"Busy. We're only just understanding the full details of the situation and now we have to rush to get the aid everywhere it needs to go. Where are your forces?"

"I have two hundred with me. The other hundred are coming over the pass up north. The Crystal Empire dispatched them separately. We've been in communication."

"There was a Japanese element near there," Spitfire said. "They've been working the central portion of the country, with the Americans in the south and east."

They both paused to consult the large map on the wall. It was taped over a magnetic board so symbols could be moved around. Spitfire added one that represented the oncoming forces from the Crystal Empire.

"I'm surprised you know your ground symbology, ma'am," said Flash.

"You have to know these things when you're a Colonel," Spitfire replied mildly. "Though I will admit that I needed help with the symbol for the American MAGTF. It's infantry, fixed-wing aviation, and armor with amphibious capability." She indicated the headquarters symbol near Minos. "They didn't unload their tanks, though, so that simplifies things."

"It looks like we have teams in just about every city and town," Flash observed, looking at the other blue symbols scattered across the map. "Did we break it out by nationality?"

"We thought about it, but ultimately it doesn't matter much. All of us bring something unique to the table, so we decided to compromise and do it the American way."

Spitfire chuckled to herself. Flash frowned. "Why not us? Tauros is closest to Equestria. This is our planet, after all."

"Don't take it too hard," said Spitfire. "All the countries involved here have trained with the Americans before, so we're on the same page. Not to mention, they brought thousands more troops."

She checked her watch. "The combined forces sync meeting is happening soon. We'll all circle up and trade information on what happened in the last few hours. Come on, I'll introduce you."


The command group met around the headquarters table once again. The commanders of each force, backed by their assistants, were in attendance. Captain Lombard again participated via teleconference.

It was not an actual table, just a couple of folding tables put together. Everything was portable.

Despite the temporary nature of the CTF, good progress had been made. Teams had managed to make it to most places in the country to scout damage and determine the aid required. Based on reporting and some drone scans, it was looking likely the missing minotaurs from Diony had gone north, possibly into the narrow valley between the two mountain ranges. No one was yet sure on why, or where they were now. It was a long walk, either way.

A minotaur named Brass Knuckles was heading up a homegrown relief effort in Pavor. It was the most remote area of the country and relief teams hadn't made it there yet. Plans were in the works to airlift supplies.

It might not even be too early to discuss the end of the mission. That is, if no other misfortunes came along.