• Published 14th Sep 2017
  • 3,366 Views, 630 Comments

A Rather Large Adventure - BradyBunch



The Mane Six are joined by three others in a quest to use the Elements of Harmony one last time, as a brewing war between Tartarus and the free creatures of the world threatens to destroy Equestria forever.

  • ...
21
 630
 3,366

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Ninety-four: Home

It was confusing to Big Mac. The day before he had to move out to war, all sorts of strange phenomena had occurred in the sky. Like it couldn't decide on a setting. He had hidden inside the barn with Apple Bloom and Granny Smith as chaos and evil reigned.

But as the chaotic day drew to a close and things went more or less back to normal, word got around Ponyville. Big Mac heard it as he entered the marketplace for news: the enemy had been completely destroyed!

Big Mac dismissed the word as rumor. Anxiety still pawed at his mind. Didn't they still need him? If not, then the letter of conscription suddenly seemed worthless. All this time, he was wasted.

Big Mac was thankful that he was not about to die anytime soon. But a small part of him actually wanted it. Big Mac longed to prove his worth to the land he tilled by watering it with his blood if needed. All this time, he was giving himself a reason to give all for his family. And now, just as that opportunity was about to come, it had been taken from him. Snatched just out of reach.

Big Mac was the kind of pony who longed for a struggle. A fight of some kind. And so he was locked in combat with a particularly stubborn tree stump. For three days now it refused to get uprooted. But Big Mac attacked it with all the frustration he had, so the stump was in a losing battle.

"Ah'm not letting my sister die for me!" he swore, yanking against a root as thick as his arm. "Ah wanna fight! I care, don't I? When can Ah prove it?"

He let go of the root, leaned down, and picked up a hatchet with his teeth. There was also a spade and a clipper beside it.

“ ‘Ftupid root,” he got out. By bending his head, he could slam the edge of the hatchet into the root. It still had water inside, so it bounced off several times before he finally embedded it in. Then he twisted it this way and that before trying to slam it down again, but the hatchet ricocheted off the root and hit him in the hoof.

Big Mac roared and leaned back. He brought his hoof up to his face. It didn’t hurt too bad, and there wasn’t any blood. But it still hurt.

How could he just be put out of commission by that? If he couldn’t even handle a tree, if he hurt himself with a hatchet that didn’t even make him bleed, how could he expect to serve his country and fight the enemy? Some fighter he was. Some pony he was.

Big Mac snarled the pain away and went back to work. Ignoring the protest in his hoof, he used it to grip the root again and yank. Some dirt dislodged from the crater the root was stuck in. He roared as he pulled harder, and despite the pain--or maybe because of it--he did it. The end of the root popped out from the crater wall, and Big Mac fell on his back.

He just lay there for a bit. The day was humid, and sweat glistened on his red coat. Maybe it’d be a good idea to just…

“Whoa-ho there, fella,” came a familiar voice. “Don’t work yerself too hard now.”

“Eeyup,” was his simple reply. He sighed.

A second later, he scrambled to all fours. Was that-

It was! She was right there! A little worse for wear, but alive and well!

“Applejack!” he cried. He pulled his sister to his chest as tight as he could.

“Gah!” she groaned. “Hold on!”

“Granny’s been so worried!” Big Mac said, refraining from mentioning how much he had privately missed her. “Yer all right!”

Applejack separated from him. “How is she? Is she okay?”

Big Mac gestured to the barn. "Better than when ya left."

"You been taking care o' her?"

"Eeyup," he confirmed proudly.

Applejack grew a smile. "Ah missed hearin' that."

"Eeyup," he repeated.

"How was it back here? Dija serve yer country well, or…"

Big Mac bowed his head. "Ah wanted to. But I... didn't want to. 's complicated."

"You can share anything with me," Applejack confided, giving him a nudge. "If something's eatin' atcha, I gotta know what it is!"

"... Am I a good pony?"

"What's gotten inta yer head that led ya to ask that?"

"I wanted to serve my country. Give myself to a… bigger cause. But I'm stuck here. Ah jus' feel… useless. Wasted."

"Oh, horseapples, Big Mac. Doncha know how much you've helped us out?" Applejack looked him in the eyes. "Helpin' yer family when they need ya isn't a waste. Ya hear me?"

"I wanted to help by fighting!"

"Who woulda looked after Granny and Apple Bloom?"

"I would have asked someone in town."

"It's very noble of ya to want this. And I'm really impressed with yer heart. If there was anypony strong enough to serve, it'd be you. You are a good pony, Big Mac. You've made me proud."

There wasn't a but. And Big Mac found his chest clutching itself.

Was that all he really needed? A couple of words telling him how proud she was of him? Applejack, the girl that helped save the world, was proud of him. Most likely, that was just brother-and-sister obligations. What had he done besides the bare minimum that he'd done for years before? But she said it with such conviction that he found no reason for her to play it up.

"Come on," Applejack invited. "Race ya to the barn."

And she turned tail and fled through the fields.

Big Mac grinned in spite of himself. "Eeyup."

He abruptly took off after her.

He got there in time to see Apple Bloom rush out of the door and collide into Applejack with a squeal of delight. Soon, Granny Smith teetered out, and Applejack welcomed her into the hug as well.

Big Mac formed the outside pony in the impromptu group hug. It felt complete again.

"I'm home, everypony," Applejack choked out. "I'm home."


Pinkie couldn't remember a time she wasn't happier to see Sugarcube Corner, yet so un-hyperactive.

It still looked the same to her. And it was still her home. But coming home to it didn't feel grand or triumphant at all. It was just another place in her journey.

She briefly considered knocking, but her Pinkie nature dictated otherwise, and she threw open the door.

It was empty except for the two ponies busy behind the counter. Upon Pinkie's entrance, they straightened to attention.

"Welcome to Sugarcube Corner, what can I-" Mrs Cake started. She gasped. "Oh my goodness! Look! I-it's Pinkie!"

"Pinkie Pie?" Mr. Cake repeated, craning around the corner of the register. His face split into a grin. "You're back!"

Pinkie nodded. They seemed worse for wear. Probably busy with all the current events.

"We'll fetch you some cupcakes right away!" Mrs. Cake promised, already heading into the back. "You must have had a very long trip!"

"You could say that," Pinkie gave them.

"You okay?" Mr. Cake asked, clearly concerned. "You seem… toned down."

"Why don't you tell us all about it?" Mrs. Cake called from the back, already coming back in with a tray of pink cupcakes on her back.

Pinkie looked at the treats. After all their overcooked meals and foraging, and starvation and sugarless breakfasts, the bright, fondant-loaded, sprinkle-topped cupcakes in front of her just seemed… a little too much.

"Tell you all about it," Pinkie considered. "Well…"

"Yes?" the couple asked in unison.

"We went on a biiiig trip across the country. Into another continent, too!"

"What happened?" Mrs. Cake followed up, presenting Pinkie with a cupcake.

"We met a whole lot of ponies." Sunset and the humans. The Rolk. Skystar, Novo, Tempest, the Storm King, High Priest Ajax. "And we, um, talked."

"Well, what happened?"

Pinkie uncomfortably shifted in place. "There was… a bit of stuff. We, um, went and..."

Mr. and Mrs. Cake's faces were shining with excitement. Like Pinkie was about to show them memories of a vacation.

And Pinkie couldn't bring herself to say any more. Her memories only showed crashes, gore, fire, dust, darkness, swords, screams, starving, storms, bodies. Human bodies lying on the grounds of Canterlot High and staining the green grass red. The steaming tan flesh of the Rolk. The hopelessness of being trapped. The outpouring of water into their small cave. The rush of battle with sea monsters. The clouds of crimson hanging in the water. The dust of ages and black Noxxa ash scattered over the entirety of Mount Aris. The dip in her stomach as their hijacked airship plunged through the atmosphere. The sight of Noble Blade covered in old blood. The exhaustion of fighting an entire army. The whipping cold rain of a hurricane, and the slick, shining deck of the Storm King's airships. The tough taste of the poor burnt lizard. The feral grins of Brimstone and Warcane. The bonds biting into her flesh as High Priest Ajax approached. The overwhelming red glow and stuffy hot air of the temple. The bump on her head where Malice had playfully bonked her with a scepter. The ravenous, beastly face of Solaris carved in rock. The cracked and sickly stone embedded in Starlight Glimmer. The deep black gashes in Pinkie's skin. The icy burn of a Black Blade. The impact of Ajax's body beneath her aching hoof. His exploding top half, covered with pink flame. The pervasive, choking smoke of the ruined volcanoes. Malice's broken and bloody body. The water streaming down her cheeks at the sight of Firestorm's corpse.

Mr. and Mrs. Cake were still anxiously waiting. Bright eyes, expectant smiles. Pinkie decided she couldn't do that to them.

"...And we had a huge party," Pinkie despondently finished. "It was really fun. I liked it."

Mr. and Mrs. Cake shared a look. Pinkie knew they thought she was hiding something, but frankly, Pinkie didn't care.

"Well, um, we're happy to hear you're all right and everything went well," Mrs. Cake tried to usher along. "We're so glad to have you back home where you belong. You must have missed us really bad."

Pinkie mutely nodded.

"Um, please, eat! You must have been hankering for a real treat these last few weeks. Why not try some of these cupcakes, Pinkie? It's one of your favorites! Pink frosting and everything!"

But she couldn't bring herself to eat it. It just seemed so unnatural and artificial after all they'd been through. There was too much frosting. Where was the cake? Her teeth ached at the very thought of biting into such a mountain of frosting. Her stomach jostled uncomfortably at the very sight of it.

For the first time in Pinkie's life, she didn't want the proffered snack. And that thought terrified her.

"I have to go," Pinkie choked, trotting away from the counter and towards the stairs leading to her room. "Check out my room, and…"

"Oh. Uh, it's untouched since you last came here," Mr. Cake said. "If you need anything, we're right here, okay?"

Pinkie nodded and began up the steps. They were good ponies. Some of the best.

Less than a minute later, she approached the door to her own room and opened it.

True to Mr. Cake's word, it was just as undisturbed as the last time she checked. Everything was right where she had left them on the ground. Party cannon, check. Balloon animal blueprints, check. Bed, check.

Oh, the bed! Pinkie almost collapsed into her own bed, and it was so soft and pliable compared to all the weeks spent camping on the rocky ground or in small slots in hijacked vehicles.

She gathered a pillow into her arms and wrapped herself around it. It didn't help too much to quell the dread gathering inside her. Would she ever truly be back to normal?

Did she even want to?

A gust of cold air from the open window tickled her arm, and suddenly she was back in the Son, pinned on the ground, watching her skin get torn open by the overpowering iciness of the Black Blade. Fear kicked her body into overdrive. Pinkie thrashed in her bed, twisting her body to check for damage.

Nothing there. Pinkie nevertheless remained on high alert, just in case something did show up.

Creak

Pinkie scrambled backwards, almost falling off the bed. The door to her room had opened. But it was just Mrs. Cake coming in with a plate of food, looking understandably concerned.

"Honey?" Mrs. Cake asked cautiously.

Pinkie couldn't meet her face. Shame creeped over her entire body.

"Hey. I-if you need to talk, we'd always love to hear it." She set the plate down on her nightstand and came beside her bed. "But if you want to not say anything either, that's fine too."

Pinkie's heart lurched. They were just doing their best. Why couldn't she accept it?

"I missed you guys," Pinkie whispered. She cast her eyes about. "I missed this place. So how come, once I finally come back here, I don't feel right?"

Mrs. Cake nodded in understanding. "It must be tough. I… can't say I know what you're going through. But I am here."

"I know." Pinkie paused. "You… if you really saw and knew everything I saw and know, would you be able to help me?"

"I don't have to," Mrs. Cake affirmed. "I just want you to be comfortable after your journey, that's all. Give you a little slice of home."

Pinkie's lips tightened as she did her best not to cry. "Thanks."

Mrs. Cake nudged the nightstand. "There's some coffee cake here, and a bit of bread. It's from yesterday, so I hope it isn't too stale. And some lemonade. You sure you'll be all right?"

Thanks to her, Pinkie now liked her chances. Pinkie's heart ached for Mrs. Cake. She really had missed her. Pinkie nodded her assent.

"Okay then. Come down whenever you're ready. If there's any way we can help, don't hesitate, all right?"

Pinkie didn't want her help. Not like this, where she was so ungrateful for it. Not when she was fully able to take care of herself. Not when it made her look weak and dependent on them. But still, knowing in the back of her mind that they loved her enough to do that for her was a huge comfort.

Mrs. Cake left and shut the door. She even shut the door! The tenderest of mercies!

Pinkie bawled into her pillow. For a while, the only sounds in the room were her sobs.

After getting most of it out, she drew her head up to see the food. It was very simple. But it was an expression of love more potent than any other gift Pinkie could think of.

Her stomach was flip-flopping. But Pinkie took a delicate bite of the coffee cake. She could only force down a few bites, but it was better than nothing.

The lemonade was a bit better. Nice and cold. But her stomach still gurgled uncomfortably.

Pinkie laid there in her bed, trying very hard not to think of anything. Not even parties.

She needed to get back to normal as soon as possible. It was what she was. Nothing could take that away from her, not even the demons of Tartarus. But after all she'd done, would it feel like a step down?

Only if she allowed it to be.

Pinkie wanted to sleep on it. It was all so exhausting, so tiresome. But thoughts wheeled in her head of memories in the past and conflicting ideas of the future.

She decided to try something the other ponies had done.

"Faust?" Pinkie paused. "Or Luna, or whoever's in charge of this?"

There was no reply. Pinkie nevertheless continued.

"Help me find peace," she whispered. "I've done so much. Can you please do this for me?"

There wasn't any voice in her head. But Pinkie did noticeably get more relaxed.

The thoughts were still there. But they were not arguing with each other. They were still.

In fifteen minutes, Pinkie dozed off.


Carousel Boutique was a sight for sore eyes.

Rarity paused before unlocking it, gingerly pushing the door open, and stepping inside. Switching the lights on presently revealed all inside, still as pristine and untouched as before.

It seemed like a lifetime ago when, within these walls, Freedom Fighter revealed himself for the first time.

Rarity wished she could go back to that time. It was a simpler life. A more peaceful one. When they were all blissfully ignorant.

Spike's head pushed itself around her side. "Wow. Home, sweet home."

"After long last," Rarity murmured. "Finally, life can get back to normal."

"Well, not really. Things have, ah, changed," Spike said, and from the way his eyes shifted between him and her, she assumed he was referring to them being an item.

"But for the better, Spike," Rarity made clear.

"So, uh, speaking of which, do you think we can make out for a little bit?"

It was his first relationship, after all. He was so awkward, it hurt. But Rarity liked it that way. "Oh, you're so forward, darling," Rarity babied. "But I'd prefer the house to be empty before that happens."

Spike shrugged. "Fair."

"Sweetie Belle?" Rarity called. "Sweetie, are you there?"

"You really trusted her to be all right on her own?" Spike asked.

"Of course not. I hired a foalsitter."

"Who?"

Rarity was silent.

"Who was it, Rarity?"

"In retrospect, perhaps Derpy wasn't the best choice."

"You hired her?"

"She was cheap and willing, and I didn't have the time to consider my options while I was preparing to go into the mirror portal," Rarity defended.

"Sweetie would be the more capable one. And you told me once about how she burned orange juice. I can still barely believe it. She managed to outdo…"

"Yes?"

"Outdo Firestorm at… burning food," Spike finished, looking far more somber than before.

"Oh," Rarity cooed. "There, there. Darling, put him out of your head. He'd want us to live in the present. Let's not dwell on… unfortunate circumstances. Let's instead enjoy the gift he gave us."

Spike sighed and folded his arms. "I won't keep him out of my head. He deserves to be remembered."

"And he is!"

"But fine. I'll-" He stopped. "Fine."

Rarity trotted over to her usual station and adjusted herself on her stool. She scanned the table for her little red glasses before finding them and putting them on.

"What are you doing?" Spike asked. "And don't say, 'I'm baking muffins, Spike, what does it look like I'm doing?'"

Rarity decided to ignore the additional reminder of pre-adventure Firestorm. "I'm… sewing."

"Just like that? Getting back into it?"

Rarity tinkered with the sewing machine. "Well, darling, I came home to get back to normal, didn't I?"

"Well, sure," Spike said, watching various materials float over to her in a blue glow. "Ever thought about doing anything else?"

"Spike, would you like to know a secret?"

"You can tell me anything," he reminded her.

"I sew because it gives me something to do and not think about so much. I'm so good that I can be absorbed in it without being too busy."

"So you want to take your mind off everything that happened?"

Rarity considered it and sighed. "...That's part of it."

"I understand. Although I can't relate. I prefer more manly stuff. Like weightlifting, or driving tanks, or ruling an entire nation."

"You? Weightlifting?"

Spike huffed. "Two out of three isn't bad."

"Well, if you insist. As for me, sewing's… perfect for me. There is nothing else I would rather do."

Spike came beside her. "Besides the obvious?"

Rarity gave him a wide-eyed look and blushed. "Well, um, yes, Spike."

"Did I say something?"

"You-" Rarity started, then laughed. "Oh, you are so cute!"

She bent over and gave him a kiss. "You really have gotten taller! Look, you used to need to reach over this table, but now you can rest your arms on it."

"Testosterone does amazing things to a dragon," Spike admired.

Rarity giggled. "Let's go with that."

Spike rolled his eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Ah, nothing, Spike," Rarity waved off. "Although it doesn't diminish everything about you. Noble was right. You've become a paragon of courage. You have done some rather impressive things that, I admit, I never expected from you."

"Out of everything, winning your heart was one of the hardest," Spike made known.

"That's very sweet of you, Spike. But it took the most horrid conditions for me to see it. I suppose that says a lot about me."

"Well, now we're in paradise," Spike said. "We get to sit back and enjoy ourselves in the world we preserved."

"What are you talking about? I'm still going to have to work. Speaking of which, could you give me that spool?"

Spike picked it up. "Under one condition."

"No fair. Come on, give it."

"Atatata." Spike held the spool of blue thread far out of Rarity's reach. "Ask."

Rarity pouted. "Oh Spike the Brave and Glorious, anything you wish of me, I'll give!"

Spike actually blushed at that. "Can we kiss again?"

"That's… really all you ask of me?"

"Uh, sure? Do you want to give more?"

Rarity put down her glasses and pinched Spike's cheeks. "Spike, you really ought to know that whenever you ask for a kiss, I will always give it."

Spike shyly grinned.

Their lips had no sooner touched than the door rang open, jolting pony and dragon. In came a grey mare with a nappy blonde mane. Her unfocused eyes squinted at Rarity.

"Am I seeing things?" she asked. It was loopy and high.

"Derpy, you simultaneously see more and less than any other pony I know," Sweetie Belle's voice replied from behind her.

"Wait, wait, wait," Derpy said, widening those eyes. "It is her!"

"Rarity?" Sweetie Belle followed up, emerging into view. The filly gasped upon seeing both of them.

"Sweetie Belle!" Rarity exclaimed, maneuvering around her work bench and meeting her galloping sister in an abrupt embrace. "Oh, my goodness! You have no idea how much I've missed seeing you!"

"I'm sure I don't," Sweetie replied, patting her older sister on the back. "I can't remember the last time I've seen you this happy."

"What about when you finally got your Cutie Mark?"

"... Fair point."

"I just… I've seen a lot over the past few weeks, or months… I can't even keep track of it! But at the end of it all, you're still here!"

Sweetie looked uneasy. Rarity knew exactly why. So often, she had to run to Rarity for support. Now that it was reversed, she was unsure.

"... So, does this mean the job is over?" Derpy mentioned from the side.

Rarity broke the embrace. "Ah, yes. And I suppose you'd want an issue of payment. What was the agreement again...?"

Derpy told her.

Rarity whistled. "Wow. Are you… sure?"

She was.

Rarity made an indistinguishable sound before relenting. "The Element of Generosity," she muttered to herself. "Here, I'll just write you a check."


"I never thought I'd see this place again."

"I'm happy you do. So this is where I'll be living as well?"

"Well, not just yet!"

"Right, right. Still have to, ah, get married first."

"Stop talking about it so much! It'll soften the proposal!"

"Fluttershy, we both know it's going to happen. Only problem is when."

"Celestia just kind of sprung it on us."

"Was marriage not the plan before she gave permission?"

"Well, no. No, I-I was th...thinking about it. It's just…"

"Look, I get it," Noble quickly dispelled. "Sorry. Would you prefer we talked about something else? Look at this real estate! All things considered, you got off pretty well!"

"Stop being so… ugh, silly!"

"Fine, fine."

Fluttershy crossed the small bridge leading to her home. After many weeks, it still remained in the same condition as when she left. She had given the job of feeding the animals to Scootaloo, who needed the money. But she was concerned about her animals nonetheless.

She came up to her door and pushed it in. The familiar sight of her furniture made homesickness kick in, even though she was already home.

The animals were creeping slowly out of the shadows. Most of them probably couldn't believe it. She was back!

Fluttershy came in completely, and all sorts of small furry animals assaulted her legs and clung to her. Several doves landed in her mane. Fluttershy obediently and happily stood still as the animals welcomed her back in their own way.

There were still some animals out back or in their own habitats that she could go to. But this would have to do for now.

The leader of this particular troupe bounced up to her and tapped his foot rapid-fire before bounding into her chest.

"Good to see you too, Angel," Fluttershy crooned, stroking his back. "Hope you didn't miss me too much."

As Fluttershy scanned the room for the rest of the animals, her heart gave a jolt. There was a scramble of long black legs in the shadows! Something was moving in the back corner!

"Noble!" she exclaimed. "Get in here! Help!"

He was by her side in a second, startling some of the animals off her legs. His head swiveled from one end of the room to the other. "Where?"

Fluttershy shakily pointed into the corner. But upon focusing and blinking some more, she discovered that there was nothing there. Just a lamp with an open umbrella beside it. Fluttershy felt stupid.

"I thought… it was a Nox," Fluttershy weakly defended. Big and scuttling and scary.

"Hey. It's okay," he reassured. He held her by his side. "This is something that goes away with time."

Fluttershy nodded to go along. How long, Noble didn’t say.

Fluttershy hated the idea of the trauma the adventure would cause later on. She already wouldn’t forget any of it. She didn’t need boogeyponies behind every closet and creatures skittering just outside her peripheral vision to remind her of the horrors of the trip.

“For now, let’s just… relax. There are no more monsters.”

“But-”

“Honey. It's all right.”

The nickname did take her mind off her imagination. He was true. Nothing could hurt them any more.

“Okay,” she agreed. She even smiled. “We’re okay now.”


It had been so long since he had seen them. But he owed them this much.

Freedom Fighter’s hoof hovered above the surface of the door. The hum of a cello emanated softly from behind it. Then he gave three hard raps.

He was just outside the split house of Vinyl and Octavia. With luck, both of them would be home.

The music cut off. But instead of coming to the door, Octavia yelled at it.

“No, thank you! We don’t want any more recruitment officers, music commissioners, or vacuum salesponies!”

“And what about very old friends?” Freedom Fighter replied.

This time, Freedom Fighter heard trotting. With a quick unlatch, the door swung open. Octavia Melody was standing starstruck in the doorway, gazing upon his perfect countenance with awe.

“I have a lot to apologize for,” Freedom Fighter admitted.

“Freedom Fighter?” Octavia asked, eyeing him up and down. “Wow. Oh, my-what happened? When I saw you at the Gala, you were covered in scars!”

“They healed. With some help. Is Vinyl home? I want to talk.”

Octavia leaned her head backwards. “Vinyl! Freedom Fighter’s back!”

It only took a few seconds of mad running from the other end of the house before Vinyl Scratch emerged into view, her headphones and green-tinted glasses askew. The glasses which he had bought so long ago, and simply looking at them reminded Freedom Fighter of other times.

Vinyl slowly took them off and planted them in her vivid blue mane. The headphones hung around her neck. “Oh, my…” she started, but couldn’t finish.

“Hi,” he introduced himself. He even smiled.

Vinyl gulped audibly, not blinking. “You…”

“I know. I’m different.” He pulled at his skin. “Looks way better on me, right?”

Octavia backed away. “Erm, I’ll just put on some tea.”

She left, and Freedom Fighter and Vinyl Scratch were alone.

“Dude,” Vinyl whispered.

He nodded. “Okay. So, first off, that tape you gave me? The hybrid music mix you did with Tavi? That’s gone. I am so sorry. I'm not sure when or where. Might have gotten lost in the sea-"

Vinyl put a hoof to his cheek, stopping him. She traced his jawline.

"You're back," she said. Without warning, she thrust herself into him and hugged him tightly.

She didn't care about the stupid music! She cared about him!

Vinyl let go and fell to all fours. "I mean… wow, dude. Look at you." She whistled. "Who knew you packed these kinds of looks?"

"I did," Freedom Fighter answered. "Before it was taken."

"How'd you even heal?"

"I bear an Element of Harmony." He tapped the white circle in his forehead. "Right there."

"Like a key in a lock," she commented. "Where is it now?"

"With the others. Twilight's holding onto them all in her castle. I won't have to be so far away from it anyway."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sleeping there. I don't have a permanent home."

Vinyl leaned on her doorway. "Well, why didn't you say anything sooner, dude? I could have let ya sleep here free of charge. Mostly."

"No, see, I'd rather stay with Twilight."

"Why?"

Freedom Fighter's eyes shifted. "I've… grown pretty close to her."

"Oh." Vinyl sounded nervous. "Like, how close?"

"I'm her boyfriend."

Vinyl took a step back. Her scarlet eyes were wide and couldn't meet Freedom Fighter's.

"... Hey." Freedom Fighter felt a sneaking suspicion grab hold of him. "Are you all right?"

Vinyl sniffed and wiped her nose. "Yeah. 'm fine. Just… Man, I wish I'd made my move sooner."

"Oh, my gosh," Freedom Fighter said. Did she really…?

"L-look, dude, it isn't as though I'm gonna make trouble," Vinyl was quick to say. "I want you to be happy, you know?"

"Yeah."

"I just… I wish I could have gone with you."

"Trust me on this, I'm not so sure you do. Peril and whatnot."

"I could have grown closer to you. You were the first guy in a long, long time to really be interested in me. I thought about you for so long while you were out. Do you think… in another life, in another time, do you think we could have…?"

"Maybe," Freedom Fighter allowed. "But we're not in another time, and we only get this one life. You gotta get out there and move on."

Vinyl nodded. "It just isn't fair. Every time I'll see you with Twilight, it's gonna--" She made a spilling motion with her hoof.

"I know the feeling." All too well. How would he feel if Twilight had been taken by, say, Flash Sentry? "But you have to get past this crush. Please. I want to stay your friend."

"We're still friends," Vinyl affirmed. "I mean… We weren't a thing before, and we still aren't now. Really, nothing's changed. We're lucky it stayed this intact."

Freedom Fighter was impressed. She was taking it way better than he expected.

"... I really won't forget you," Vinyl promised. She played with the shades lodged in her mane. "Not after this."

"Is that good or bad?"

Vinyl's lips twisted. "Dunno yet." She swished her mane. "Anyway, I should just be glad you're finally happy. If anypony deserves a happily ever after, it's you."

"Tea!" Octavia's voice rang out. She came into view carrying a tray of two teacups with her magic. "Would you like to stay for some?"

"Actually, I'll have to get going," Freedom Fighter excused. "Twilight's expecting me. Sorry. It was really nice seeing you both again."

"Same for us!" Octavia assured him. "Come over soon?"

"I'll see what I can do," Freedom Fighter promised. He was already down the steps and onto the road. "Take care of yourselves!"

Octavia and Vinyl waved to him until he was a very good distance away. As he reoriented himself and set off at a brisk canter back to Twilight's castle, his mind buzzed.

If he had stayed in Ponyville instead of going on that quest, he would have very likely gone with Vinyl over Twilight. And he would have been happy with her. But when it came to Twilight… he would have gone on the trip all over again if it meant being with her even more.

In the privacy of his own mind, Freedom Fighter did consider a life with Vinyl. An alternate reality, a what-if. But that's all it would stay as. He cast it away after brief contemplation. Ultimately, everything he ever wanted was right in front of him. He would not throw it away for Vinyl.

It sounded cruel, even to him. But he just didn't feel that way.

Twilight was his responsibility.


The final piece of jewelry was gently laid on the display. Twilight adjusted some of them on the red velvet.

“It’s fine,” Tempest encouraged.

“I know,” Twilight said, shifting the Element of Honesty so it was straight. She lifted the glass cover with her magic and laid it over the tilted display stand. The Elements were surrounding the upright sword of Noble Blade, with Twilight’s crown at the hilt.

“I saw one of these with the Storm King,” Tempest said. “It was used to display his armor or clothes. I assume you used it for the same purpose before this?”

“Not really. When I wear clothes, I pick from a closet.”

“Hmm.” Tempest nodded. “For being a princess of Equestria, you sure don’t act like it. Princesses are supposed to be spoiled in wealth.”

“I pick my clothes from a closet and put them on one hoof at a time just like everypony else, Tempest. I appreciate the consideration, but being called humble for doing the bare minimum?”

“From a certain point of view,” Tempest muttered.

Twilight turned away and looked around. The library was as complex and full as ever, and Twilight loved it that way. She sighed and plopped into a nearby seat, and for the first time in a long, long time, Twilight felt her seat give way. It was like she was sinking. After nothing but sitting on rock and dirt, this was a strange transition.

“Would Her Majesty like a book to read?” Tempest drily offered. “You’ve finally finished the house tour.”

“I still have to get your room ready,” Twilight reminded her. “You can have Firestorm’s.”

Tempest’s face twisted for a second, but she nodded. Twilight knew sharing a dead pony’s bed wasn’t comfortable.

Starlight was gone too. Without a pupil, what use would Twilight have?

Unless…

“Tempest?”

“Yes?”

“Would you like to learn actual magic?”

Tempest’s eyes flicked up to her broken horn. “I don’t know how to tell you this…”

“Your magic is still within you,” Twilight reminded her. “It’s only the conduit that’s broken. If we can recalibrate your attunement to magic and make it more focused, I’m confident we can work through that disability.”

“Disability,” Tempest repeated. Twilight wondered if she had used the right word.

“We’ll never know if we don’t try,” Twilight encouraged. “I want the best for you, Tempest.”

“Why? Cause Starlight’s gone now? You sure you’re doing this for me?”

“For all three of us, actually. If you want to help me honor her legacy, Tempest, I beg of you to learn magic.”

“I thought I already had magic. The magic of friendship. Friendship is magic.”

“Fine, then don’t learn it.”

Tempest blinked. She gave a glare to her horn. Then she softened it when looking to Twilight “You sure?”

“We’ll find out.”

Tempest sighed. “Fine. I’ll… try.”

And Twilight felt her heart leap in her chest. A second chance! A challenging opportunity! And a way for Tempest to heal!

“Now are you actually going to show me where Firestorm’s room is, or are you going to just stay there all day?”

Twilight shook her head. She must have had a strange expression. “Uh, sure. If you’ll follow me…”


A knock drew her out of her reverie. But a visitor was the last thing she wanted.

“Rainbow?” came a voice from behind the door. It was Twilight. “Can I come in?”

Rainbow groaned. She was sprawled on the bed, hugging a pillow. Before, Rainbow’s pride wouldn’t have allowed Twilight to enter and see her in this state. But they had all been in a similar state like this. Rainbow reluctantly lifted a hoof. “Fine.”

Twilight entered and quickly shut the door behind her. At least they were alone.

“Do you need anything?” Twilight offered. “Some water?”

Rainbow shook her head.

“Anything you want?”

“I want him,” Rainbow choked out.

“...Is everything all right?”

Rainbow glared at Twilight. Tears were in the corners of her narrowed eyes. “No.”

After a competitive moment where neither looked away, Twilight was the first to do so. “I’m sorry.”

“Why are you here?”

“I just showed Tempest her room.”

“You mean the one Firestorm’s sleeping in? The one down the hall?” At least Twilight hadn’t made her stay in the same place Firestorm had. Insult to injury!

And it occurred to Rainbow that she spoke of him as if he was still here.

“Firestorm’s gone, Rainbow.”

Rainbow knew that. But she couldn’t accept it.

“I’m concerned for you. I don’t want you to be like Freedom Fighter was, all shut in his room and sullen and silent, doing… that ritual to his arm. I understand that you need some time alone. But I also want to look out for you. I can’t bear the thought of seeing you in this pain. Let’s try to recover from this, okay?”

Recovery scared Rainbow. It would mean moving on from Firestorm. Saying he didn’t exist any more.

“Rainbow?”

She tiredly nodded. “Whatever you say.”

“Soon during the week, I’m going to go out on the town. I’d... really appreciate it if you came along.”

It was bait, and both of them knew it.

“I’ll see how I feel,” Rainbow replied. It was barely an answer at all. And she intended on not going.

“Rainbow, this isn’t you. Where’s the friend I made?”

“Why don’t you ask Firestorm?” she spat.

There was an awkward pause.

“It’ll be harvest season soon,” Twilight prompted. “And something tells me the Apples are still going to make some of that sweet cider you love.”

Rainbow mumbled. Thinking about Firestorm was way better than some stupid drink!

“And Pinkie’ll make some of those delicious cakes for the parties she’s going to plan. Are you really going to miss out on all the fun?”

Rainbow’s ears drooped. If she had to. But… did she?

“And I bet Fluttershy is going to invite you to some of those petting zoos. Are you going to give up the opportunity to hold a lamb? It’s as soft as a cloud!”

“Clouds are made of rain particles,” Rainbow automatically corrected.

“But they’re still soft! You nap on them all the time!”

“Because they’re cool and loose,” Rainbow replied. “Especially in the hot sun. It’s a way to cool me down.”

Twilight nodded. “You’re the expert.”

Rainbow’s chest felt a bit looser from the praise. She sat up on her bed, setting her pillow aside. “... How long do you think this is going to take?”

“It depends on you,” Twilight replied.

Turmoil sprung to life in Rainbow’s head. Which was truly best for her? To go on suffering? Even if it wasn’t necessary, it would show Firestorm how much she loved him! Or could she let go of him? Did she have that courage?

Rainbow didn’t respond immediately.

“I’ll go and get you some water,” Twilight offered, making her way to the door. “Let me know when you’re feeling better.”

“Twilight?”

Twilight paused right before she was opening the door. “Yes?”

“...Can we go to Sugarcube Corner tomorrow?”

Twilight’s face lit up. “Absolutely! I’ll pay. Anything you want. In the meantime, try to get some sleep. I have it on good authority that Luna is planning for us to have our best dreams yet.”

So she could still see him. Even if only in dreams. But could she get to sleep at all?

Twilight shut the door, leaving Rainbow how she was before. This time, she felt truly alone now that she knew Twilight cared for her.

Her advice was sound. She was the know-it-all. Sleep might do her good. After all, she'd barely had any in the past thirty-six… or was it forty-eight hours? Rainbow couldn't tell. It all seemed to blend together.

She flopped into her mattress and shut her eyes. But all that seemed to plague her mind was the thought that Firestorm wouldn't hold her as she dozed.

Rainbow pulled on the blankets. It wasn't the same. Now that she knew the feeling, she couldn't forget it.

She needed relief. More than anything else in the world, Rainbow wanted-

Peace.

The word drifted into her mind without a voice. The feeling spread over her limbs. Her mournful thoughts were still in her head. But they didn't cause her to tremble.

"Faust?" she asked with a squeak. "I-is that you?"

Be still. And know that I am Faust.

"... Please," she nearly begged. "I don't want the pain."

And the prompting came into her head: she didn't need it. She didn't have to suffer over this. Firestorm was gone. But he was in heaven. There was nothing to worry about.

"... But what about… me? How can I go back to normal? How do I move on?"

Friendship is magic.

Though it had been said many times by many ponies, it hit Rainbow in that moment with enough force to nearly bring her to tears.

She buried her face in her pillow and shut her eyes. Incredibly, her breathing slowed. As Rainbow became more and more limp, she actually managed to give a slight smile.

And finally, Rainbow drifted off to sleep.

PreviousChapters Next