• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 2,552 Views, 78 Comments

Shades of Grey - Inquisitor M



Luna and Rarity, with the help of a few of Celestia's elite guards, must fight to make peace with themselves before they can make peace with the past, and Rarity must learn to overcome the harshest enemy she has ever faced: Herself.

  • ...
9
 78
 2,552

17. Moments of Revelation

17. Moments of Revelation

Rarity’s crest tingled: Luna’s blazing-white eyes were blank, but she felt the weight of their stare no less for it. She approached slowly, her mind whirling with potential conversations and ice-breakers, but those thoughts vanished when Luna lifted herself from her haunches.

“Luna, you’re hurt!” She pounced forwards, fixated on three claw marks in her neck and the dried blood around them. Luna shuffled back as Rarity inspected the wound.

“’Tis but a scratch; pay it no mind. I understand you severed Stormcloud’s horn as I asked. You have my gratitude, but I’m afraid I may fail to uphold my end of the bargain. I may not be strong enough to—”

“You are.” Rarity’s eyes shone with the same intensity in her voice. “You showed me how strong you are. You made it seem so easy, but I couldn’t do it. I got so distracted by trying that I didn’t hear what you were saying.”

Rarity stepped closer again, nestling against Luna’s smooth coat. The princess beneath trembled, and Rarity raised a hoof to hold her gently.

“I heard you,” she continued quietly. “When you cried out before… I heard you. I mean, I really heard you. Everything suddenly made sense: you talked about seeing something in me when you came to my bedroom—you hoped I would be able to understand you—and I wanted somepony to see how I was feeling. It seems so obvious, now. Well, I heard you—I felt you—and I understand. I’ve thought such horrible things lately, and I know it was dreadful not to think my friends would want to help, but that just made it harder to admit. I wanted you to see because it was too painful to say the words, but you… I know how strong you are because you said all the things I couldn’t. I needed that strength to keep going when… when…”

“I know,” Luna said softly. “I wish I had not mentioned the Elements of Harmony earlier. I am sorry if I made things more difficult.”

Rarity squeezed, pressing her muzzle against Luna’s neck. “Please don’t say that. You gave me the strength to keep going until…” She squeezed again, blowing out a ragged sigh. “Now that you’re back, I need that strength just a little longer.”

“No.” The word was firm and loud, and Rarity pulled back, staring into Luna’s glowing eyes. “Your strength is your own; it always has been. I understand what it means not to have the words to express your feelings, but you found other ways to let me know. I know the courage that took because I have those feelings; that is why I thought you might understand. But know this: I have no more answers for you. I have yet to solve this puzzle for myself. I see you, and I see you are stronger than I because you are still standing against the darkness within.”

Rarity fell silent for a moment. “The darkness within,” she repeated at a whisper. “No. No, it can’t be. I’m not as strong as you—I can’t bring myself to talk like you do...” Her voice petered out as Luna’s horn shimmered.

The Element of Generosity appeared in a flash of light, floating in Luna’s magical aura. “I merely have the advantage of having failed once before,” she said. “You have a bond that I allowed to wither; you need not repeat my mistakes. There is still hope.”

“Hope… but what can I do? Stormcloud needs help and even Twilight has no idea what’s going on.”

The Element of Generosity rotated in the air and slid around Rarity’s neck.

“I believe this is yours,” Luna said with a smile. “Do you feel ready to use it again?”

“I… don’t know. I’ve never had to think about it. Even if we could…” The pitch of her voice spiked as words came spilling out. “We don’t have them all here! We can’t—”

“Shhhh.” Luna leant in and rested her nose beside Rarity’s ear, rippling the unicorn’s fur with her ragged breaths. “Calm yourself, please. I am not weak, but I feared the judgement of others and you helped me feel safe. You are not weak, but let me offer you the same in return. Let me carry the burdens of responsibility this night so that you might think only about the question at hoof: do you feel ready to use the Elements of Harmony to save Stormcloud?”

“I don’t know.” Rarity pressed back against Luna’s muzzle and took a deep breath. “But I want to. I want to try. I mean... I wish we could.”

“Then turn around.”

Rarity backed up. Luna looked down at her with the slightest of grins.

“Go on,” Luna said.

Twilight and Applejack stood a respectful distance away. When Rarity turned and smiled at them, she saw that smile creep onto their faces, too.

“I still don’t see what we can do, Luna. We’re still missing Fluttershy and…” Rarity gasped. “Rainbow Dash!

A flight of pegasi skimmed over the forest, Rainbow Dash at the fore and one of Luna’s guardsponies trailing behind. The almost-dozen ponies scattered when a piercing screech sundered the tranquility.

Silence!” Luna’s horn shimmered. Stormcloud’s likeness was gone, replaced with a grey, screeching griffon who squawked as magic yanked his beak down into the mud.

Rainbow Dash touched down in front of Rarity, while the others, all residents of Ponyville, bunched up behind Twilight and Applejack, exchanging whispers and staring at one part of the scene or another.

“Princess Celestia…” Dash said between pants, “went to Ponyville… sent the emergency cart… met us halfway…”

WhataboutFluttershy?” Rarity lunged forward, grabbing Dash’s head between her hooves.

“Alive and well, My Lady.” Thunderer swooped in beside Dash, wincing upon landing and favouring one hind leg.

“Oh, thank goodness.” Rarity sank back to her haunches, releasing Dash’s head.

“She is following in the cart while your medic sees to Vindicator, Splashdown, and Seeker—who has been sedated due to his wounds. Pinkie Pie is awake, as, obviously, am I.” Thunderer’s face fell as his tone lowered. “The last two points are not unrelated—something about party guests.”

Rainbow Dash chuckled. “Yeah, that’s our Pinkie Pie.”

“Party guests?” Rarity raised an eyebrow.

Applejack’s face lit up. “You mean Pinkie’s party!”

“Uh huh.” Sunburst stepped alongside Applejack. “When you crazy kids got called away, Spike and Marble Arch made sure the party went ahead.”

“I went outside for some fresh air,” Flitter added from behind, “and Princess Celestia just appeared! Right in the middle of Ponyville!”

Cloudchaser pushed in front. “And when we heard Fluttershy had been hurt, I realised that Snowdrift was still at the party, so we gathered all the pegasi that were still awake and headed off to help.”

Beaming a wide grin, Thunderlane puffed his chest out, only for Raindance to roll her eyes.

“Knock it off,” Twister said, hoofing the stallion in the ribs. “Anyway, Blossomforth and Rainbowshine stayed with Snowdrift. Is there anything we can do to help here?”

“As a matter of fact, there is.” Rarity adopted a stiff, regal pose to match her tone. “You all know Princess Luna. She’s had the most frightful day and is putting an awful lot of effort into keeping that thing over there restrained. I have to go, and while I’m away I need you all to show Luna how much we love her, and how much we appreciate everything she is doing for us.”

Thunderlane’s cheeks flushed, and he was quickly cuffed across the ear by Cloudchaser. “Idiot!”

Amid the murmur of shuffling pegasi, Rarity smiled at Luna. “Don’t worry. These aren’t Canterlot ponies; they’re Ponyville ponies.” She placed a hoof gently on the princess’s shoulder and waved the pegasi over.

One by one, they stepped up and hesitantly reached out. Rarity kept her eyes soft and smile warm as Luna flinched from their touch, and a few moments later, the princess took a deep breath and relaxed with a sigh.

“Will the Elements of Harmony work, Princess?” Twilight asked as Rarity moved alongside her. “I mean, you would have used them before if you thought they would, right? Wouldn’t it be easier to just blast the demon while you have it trapped?”

“I do not know,” Luna said. She straightened herself again, rising to her full height and projecting a stronger, deeper voice. “But, if Stormcloud is in pain now, I fear for his life should we choose direct action. And by we, I mean you and your friends, Twilight Sparkle. He may be my responsibility, but the Elements are yours now, and thus so is this choice. Destroy the demon here, or attempt to sever its power source.”

“Don’t worry,” Twilight said, returning a focused stare from Rarity. “We’ll try and cut the magic off before it can hurt him any more.”

Luna spread her wings and narrowed her eyes, startling the small flock of pegasi around her. “I will give you as much time as I can. Now go.”

Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack exchanged grim-faced nods and started towards the injured guard’s encampment at a hasty clip. As they passed the griffon’s cage, he unleashed a piercing shriek that cut off midway, his beak slammed back down into the mud.

( III )

“Pinkie Pie at two o’clock!” Rainbow Dash yelled from above.

The ponies followed a vibrant, if shrill, voice to find Fluttershy crouching in the back of Snowdrift’s cart, being tossed around by the whims of a singing and springing Pinkie Pie. Before Rainbow Dash’s hooves even touched the ground, Pinkie tackled her to the ground with a hug.

“Pinkie!” Rainbow Dash squirmed in the vice-like grip. “We did this already!”

“Celestia says touch your nose,” Applejack said, backing into the abandoned cart’s harness while Rarity fawned over Fluttershy in the back.

“Ooooh! I love this game!” Pinkie jumped up, touching a hoof to her nose as Dash scrambled away.

“You okay back there, Sugarcube? We got ourselves work to do.”

Fluttershy gave Rarity one last nuzzle and flashed Twilight a nervous smile. “Sure. I’ll be fine. Where are we going?”

“Back to the mountain,” Twilight said, voice filled with pep. “We’re going to save Equestria.”

“Let’s get this wagon train rollin’!” Applejack shouted.

“Oh. Well that’s good. Ummm...” Fluttershy looked back as the cart started moving. “Applejack? Pinkie’s still just… standing there.”

“What in tarna—urgh. Celestia says let’s get this wagon train rollin’.”

Pinkie bounded over, grinning from ear to ear as they set off together. Applejack, Twilight, and Rarity explained their parts of passing events to Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. When Twilight cringed at Applejack’s description of her ‘snuggle’ with Seeker, Rarity called Rainbow Dash down and whispered in her ear.

“I’ll be back in a jiffy!” Dash said, launching skywards and veering off towards the camp. Applejack increased her pace as the terrain flattened at the edge of the forest, and when Rainbow Dash returned, she clutched a grey-brown blanket between her hooves.

Rarity’s horn flared into life, unfurling the blanket and wrapping it around Twilight’s neck like a shawl. “It’s hardly your colour, darling, but it should keep you warm.”

The colour rose in Twilight’s cheeks again. “Oh! Rarity, I’m okay, really.”

“Nonsense. I absolutely insist.”

The six ponies pressed on to the foot of the mountain trail. When the cart could go no further, Fluttershy continued slowly upward on hoof—closely attended by Rarity at all times—until she suddenly yelped and fell back on her rump a little less than halfway up.

“I’m sorry, everypony,” she said in a strained squeak, rubbing the blackened scar across her shoulder.

Rarity placed a hoof on her friend’s back. “That’s quite all right, Fluttershy. I’m sure Rainbow Dash isn’t so tired that she can’t give you a little lift.”

“You got that right. No such thing as a Rainbow ‘Danger’ Dash that’s too tired to fly. Never gonna happ—”

“That’s all right, Dash.” Twilight pushed between Rarity and Fluttershy. “I think I can take it from here. Gather round everypony.”

The mares huddled together, with Rainbow Dash hovering just above Twilight. “Hey, Twi. Didn’t you say that you could only move one other pony at a—”

The group vanished in a purple backwash of magic, appearing on the plateau with a loud pop. Rainbow Dash flopped out of the air onto Twilight’s back.

“Urrrgh… time,” Dash finished, sliding off and collapsing to the floor.

Pinkie hopped up and down on the spot. “Wow! Isn’t that a new record for you, Twilight? That’s super awesome!”

With a sheepish grin, Twilight straightened her tiara and walked towards the tunnel entrance, summoning her light ball. “Hello? Stormcloud?” After a brief pause and no answer, she moved into the tunnel. Seconds later she reappeared, levitating Stormcloud at her side and setting him down just inside the tunnel’s mouth.

The stallion’s whimpering filled the silence as each pony looked on. Pinkie’s enthusiasm drained instantly. Rainbow Dash still lay grumbling on the floor, and Fluttershy stared with wide eyes and a long, drawn face. Rarity stared, too, but her eyes were vacant, focused deep within the mountain.

“Sugarcube?”

Rarity blinked.

“Ain’t nopony gonna hold it against you if you’re not up to this.”

A grimace flashed across the unicorn’s face. “I…”

Is a lady supposed to be so thoroughly dishonest with her friends?

Her eyes screwed tight shut and she grimaced again. “Applejack, I…” She took a deep breath, tears streaming down her face. “You said… you said that I could… lean on you, and…”

“You could hardly stand on your own hooves at the time, but sure, y’only need to ask.”

“I can’t…” Rarity’s voice wobbled and broke, twisting her words into a mewling whine. “I don’t…”

On her left, Fluttershy gently cuddled against her neck, and on her right, Applejack stood shoulder to shoulder. “All right. Ah get it. You’re askin’. Sorry, Rarity. Reckon Ah must be slower than Granny Smith on a winter mornin’.”

Rarity’s weight fell against Applejack’s powerful frame.

“Those were some darn pretty words you said for Luna, but maybe there’s some other pony that’s had a rough couple o’ days and needs to how much she’s loved and appreciated for the things she does.”

“And I think,” Fluttershy said softly, “it’s very generous to let us take care of you.”

Rarity’s breathing quickened. She let out a long, bawling wail followed by ferocious sobbing. Twilight jumped forwards and embraced the already-huddled trio, cooing gently into Rarity’s ear. To the side, Rainbow Dash tensed as Pinkie, already hanging from Dash’s neck with quivering lips and watery eyes, burst out in a second, overwrought wail.

But, in a few moments, the storm passed. The wailing stopped. Rainbow Dash extended a wing across Pinkie, who huddled close, and Rarity gulped down long, ragged breaths before pushing Twilight away.

“I think—” Her voice strained, she interrupted herself with a sniff. “We have work to-to do, thank you, girls.”

“You sure you’re ready?” Twilight asked, a big smile plastered across her face. Rarity nodded slowly. “Right! Is everypony else ready?”

“Yes, yes, yes!” Pinkie cried, taking a wide stance growling faintly. Rainbow Dash puffed her chest out, and Rarity reared up, scooping Applejack and Fluttershy into a hug.

Twilight closed her eyes for a moment, and when they opened, they shone with white-hot magic. The star on her tiara glowed brilliantly and the other elements came alive, each projecting their colours towards Twilight and mixing together until a huge rainbow leapt skyward and came crashing down on the body of Stormcloud. He thrashed and screamed as the magic funnelled into him.

The light faded, and the piercing cry of a griffon rang out in the distance. Stormcloud continued to whimper and wail. The clouds, previously paled from their heavy rainfall, turned dark and foreboding, fresh peals of thunder singing Luna’s dirge of wrath once more.

Rarity sprang forward. “Twilight! Twilight, I think we’ve made things worse!”

“That’s impossible. The Elements of Harmony, they can’t make things worse. Unless…” Twilight paced back and forth across the plateau. “It was like he absorbed the magic, so if it was redirected…” She dropped to the ground, eyes narrowed and legs wrapped tightly against herself.

Flashes of colour erupted from the forest. Rarity sank to her haunches next to Stormcloud and lifted his head delicately against her chest. “You were right,” she whispered in his ear, rocking gently. “You were right about everything. Luna never gave up on you—not for a second—and I know you never gave up on her. You were so brave to keep waiting when things were bad, and braver still to wait here until she could help you, especially when you knew things weren’t right after your accident. I think… I think you made her stronger, and I’m glad she had you to talk to all those years ago.”

“Wait, that’s it!” Twilight sprang up on her hooves. “No, that can’t be right…” Pounding her head with a hoof, she began muttering.

Rarity continued, her eyes tight shut. “I think you made me stronger too. When you told me I was being dishonest with my friends, I got angry because it was true. You tried to help me see what I was doing to myself, and I’m sure that’s what you did for Luna all those years ago. You were right… about everything, and I hope you know that none of this is your fault. I couldn’t have said what I needed to say without your help—and Luna’s. I wish…”

Stormcloud went limp. Rarity buried her face in the stallion’s coat, jaw clenched and fresh tears forming under her eyelids.

We failed. You deserved better. You deserved everything. I’m so sorry...

The other ponies gathered silently, thunder and lightning punctuating the moment. Twilight’s head sprang up again.

“Sonata speculated that something triggered a saturation of whatever was stopping him from being a unicorn. Since we know that Luna’s dissipation spell worked, it must be a similar kind of magic. Considering when things started for Stormcloud, the only thing I can think of that might cause a burst of natural magic would be—”

Cutie mark!” Pinkie screamed.

“That’s what I was about to say,” Twilight replied, wincing. “How did you know?”

“He’s got his cutie mark!” Pinkie screamed again, bouncing around the plateau like a wild pogo stick.

“Can’t... breathe,” Stormcloud said, wheezing.

Rarity gasped, releasing her tight embrace and scrabbling backwards until she bumped into the wall behind her. Stormcloud slumped to the ground, chest heaving but otherwise silent and still.

Fluttershy leaned over him. “Oh wow. It’s a little storm cloud. Isn’t that cute?”

“Ehh. Not bad, but it needs a rainbow to make it as awesome as mine.”

“It’s gone quiet,” Twilight said, looking out towards the forest. Even Pinkie stopped bouncing and raised an ear to the silence.

“All that over a cutie mark? Ah don’t know what ya said to him, Rarity, but I reckon ya just about made his millennium with it. Umm… Rarity?”

The unicorn pushed herself against the wall, her face locked in a wide-eyed rictus as her hooves scraped ineffectually against rock.

“Rarity!”

“I thought… I thought he was dead!

“Woah, Nellie!” Applejack rushed to Rarity’s side, pulling her into a hug.

“He-he… he just went limp…”

Twilight sat beside them, extending a hoof and stroking Rarity’s mangled and sodden hair.

“He’s okay,” Fluttershy said softly. “Everything’s fine.”

“Hey look, eveypony!” Rainbow Dash stood on the edge of the plateau, pointing toward the sky. Several pegasi darted in and out of the clouds, making holes as they went. Thin beams of strong moonlight broke through, quickly overtaken by thick lances of golden-yellow light. At the centre, the cloud whirled and receded, the light pouring through for a few seconds before it faded. Pegasi dove through the hole, closely followed by Princess Celestia, gliding serenely in the moonlight and leaving a glittering trail behind her.

“Wow! That’s so pretty!” Pinkie’s eyes sparkled at the sight. “I haven’t seen Princess Celestia do anything like that except for the Summer Sun celebration.”

Twilight watched with a big, cheesy grin. “I think she’s just very, very, happy.”

“Well, go on, Twi. Ya must be itchin’ to get over there. Fluttershy ain’t going anywhere in a hurry, and it looks like Stormcloud’s restin’ just fine. Y’all can send Snowdrift over on your way through.”

Twilight opened her mouth, but Applejack turned her head sharply away, forestalling her response. “Thanks, AJ. We’ll get Stormcloud to a hospital just as soon as we can. I can’t wait to discuss the implications of all this with the princess!”

“Stormcloud?” Rarity said softly, her heart still pounding in her chest.

The stallion’s reply was listless, yet certain. “Go. Tell Luna… tell her I’m sorry for the things I said. Tell her I’ll be waiting. I’m just going to… rest… right here…”

Rarity leaned in and give Stormcloud a peck on the cheek. “I’ll tell her. I meant everything I said, you know. Is that what your cutie mark means, do you think?”

“That I make ponies around me so miserable that they get stronger or fall apart? That would be depressing. Aren’t I supposed to know?” Stormcloud let out a long, grumbling sigh. “I just want to sleep. Just let me sleep.”

“Go on,” Fluttershy said quietly. “I’ll keep an eye on him. If it’s really over, we all need to be thinking about getting tucked up warm and toasty in bed.”

“She’s right, Rarity.” Twilight untied her makeshift shawl and spread it out over the resting stallion. “Thanks for getting this, Rainbow Dash, but I think he needs it more than I do right now. Stormcloud?” There was a weak grunt from the stallion. “You’re welcome to come and see us in Ponyville once the princess gives us the all clear.”

“Stop talking. Go away.”

Twilight chuckled and walked over to Pinkie on the edge of the plateau. “Come on then, girls. Gather round and I’ll take us to the bottom of the trail.”

“Pass!” Dash took to the air in a hurry.

“Climbing is fun!” Pinkie shouted, bouncing down the trail as if it were a simple countryside walk.

“Oh.” Twilight’s ears folded down.

“You don’t have anything to prove to us, Twilight.” Rarity brushed against Twilight’s shoulder.

“So are you going to walk down, too?”

“Oh, heavens no. I’m going to be having my hooves polished for a week as it is. I’ll take one ticket for the Twilight Express, please.”

Twilight gave Rarity a long stare before she finally smiled. “Thanks, Rarity.”

“Hey! Look!” Pinkie’s voice rose up from below. In the distance, an entire wing of pegasi guards—over fifty ponies, half of which drew chariots filled with unicorns and equipment—descended from far above and headed straight for the clearing.

“Express it is.” Twilight grinned, and both unicorns vanished in a backwash of purple magic.

( III )

The medical tent was already erected by the time they reached the clearing. Dozens of guards busied themselves with everything from precisely parking chariots to clearing the ground and transporting in the wounded. Roughly in the middle, Princess Celestia lay in the mud, forelegs outstretched and Luna curled around her.

Two pairs of unicorns stood vigil over their princesses—Celestia’s guards were statuesque as always, while Vanilla and Silverlight spotted the approaching mares and waved them over. Further to one side, the Ponyville pegasi clustered together and Rainbow Dash dragged Pinkie towards them, shooting Twilight a sly wink.

“I’m afraid she’s fallen asleep, my little ponies,” Celestia said quietly as Rarity and Twilight approached. “It sounds as if the creature she was fighting simply disintegrated after you and your friends used the Elements of Harmony. Now she is exhausted, but it seems we all owe you our thanks once again.”

“Not really, Princess.” Twilight glanced at Rarity. “We did use the Elements of Harmony, but they didn’t work. I think it’s Rarity we should all be thanking.”

Rarity’s cheeks blazed under her white coat as she tried to look anywhere that wasn’t at a pony. Celestia chuckled and nuzzled the base of her sister’s neck lovingly. “I will look forward to hearing all the details later, Twilight. For now, I hope you won’t mind if I ask you to give us some time. I’m sure it is no secret that I have missed this. I plan to make the most of it since I’m sure she’ll be as grumpy as ever when morning comes.”

Luna shifted just enough to hoof her sister in the chest.

“Oh, so you’re not asleep.” Celestia giggled. “Who would have guessed?”

Luna’s head rose slowly from under Celestia’s mane and rested against her sister’s neck. “How was Stormcloud when you left him, Lady Rarity?”

“Tired. He just wanted to sleep. Fluttershy and Applejack stayed to keep an eye on him, but he asked me to tell you that he was sorry for the things that he said, and that he would be waiting for you.”

Luna rolled her eyes. “He’s a bad liar. He’s not sorry for anything and neither should he be. He, too, can wait until morning, when I’m… grumpy.” She bashed her sister’s face with her nose, then lay back down and sighed.

Celestia tried to frown, but the glow of warmth on her face diffused her wrinkles. “My guards will see you and your friends safely home. There are enough chariots that nopony need fly if they are tired, and I think it is long past your bedtime, Twilight Sparkle. I will let you know how Stormcloud is once the doctors have examined him properly.”

“Thank you, Princess. I’m really looking forward to—”

Rarity nudged her. “Twilight, you really should learn how to take a hint.”

Silverlight trotted forward and bowed in front of the mares. “Please allow me to arrange your transportation, Miss Sparkle.”

Twilight nodded as Vanilla leaned an ear close to the princesses, then trotted up beside his companion. “Twilight? Princess Luna would like to speak to you alone, please.”

Twilight gave the guards a shallow bow and walked towards the intertwined princesses.

“Are you all right?” Vanilla asked quietly once Twilight had moved away. “After everything that’s happened, you could be excused for being a little jealous.”

“A few hours ago I would have been,” she replied, watching Luna lean out and whisper into Twilight’s ear. “But not now. We’re both where we should have been all along. What about the others?”

“Glory was a complete wreck when he reached Canterlot; he’s going to be in a cast for weeks. Splashdown’s stable, but we won’t know how long he’ll be out until we get him to hospital. Thunderer should have kept his idiot hooves on the ground—he’s torn up something in his leg—and Seeker is going to need long-term curative magic for his ego. Vindicator seems fine, though.” He beamed a fake smile. “Doc might have to break something so he doesn’t get branded a slacker. How about you?”

“Oh, nothing that bed rest and long baths won’t cure.” Rarity raised a hoof to hide a long yawn. “That ride home certainly sounds marvellous right now.” She peeked past the guards again: Twilight was staring straight back at her, nodding as Luna continued to whisper.

“Princess Celestia?” Silverlight shouted over his shoulder. “Rarity’s feeling a bit faint. Might we use your chariot so she can lie down on the way home?”

Celestia smiled and nodded, the golden-clad guard beside her barking orders without prompting. Rarity raised an eyebrow at Silverlight.

“How utterly subversive of you, Silver,” Vanilla said with a grin. “I’m positively giddy with pride.”

Twilight trotted briskly back to the group. “Rarity? Are you okay?”

“Oh, yes.” Rarity beamed and nodded. A moment later, Twilight wrapped her in tight, double-legged hug. “Luna?” she said when Twilight seemed of no mind to let go.

“Luna,” Twilight replied, still squeezing. “Time to go home. I can’t wait to tell Spike just how much he helped out today.”

“Oh, yes…” Rarity gulped. “Spike.”


Ten minutes later, six mares boarded for their flight home; an hour after that, they were tucked up in bed, fast asleep. But, in one very tall tower in Canterlot, two sisters had no such plans. They talked, and talked, and talked, until the new day’s sun bathed Equestria in its welcoming glow.