• Published 21st Aug 2012
  • 1,929 Views, 13 Comments

Fluorescence of a Tide - Johnjohns



You can't hear the ticking of a clock, unless you listen for it. And what will happen when it stops?

  • ...
1
 13
 1,929

Chapter 3: Applejack

Fluorescence of a Tide
By: Johnjohns2

Chapter 3: Applejack


Applejack’s day began like any other day. Her alarm sounded at 6:45 AM, and at the same time Big Macintosh's alarm went off. The two of them woke early every morning so they could get some work done, before the rest of the house awoke.

She got out of bed, stretched, and walked downstairs after going to the bathroom. Big Mac was already in the kitchen preparing breakfast. Apple-pancakes, cinnamon-apple toast, brown-sugar and apple cereal, and apple juice. The two of them ate as much food as they possibly could each morning, in order to consume as many calories as possible. All those calories would give them the energy needed for a hard day’s work, and they would almost certainly burn it all off by the day's end.

“Good mornin big brother,” she sat down at the table.

“Good mornin sis,” he said.

“Did ya’ll sleep well?” asked Applejack.

“Eeyup,” he replied, while bringing more food to the table.

The two of them ate quickly, rapidly polishing off all the plates of food. Applejack was once again impressed by her big brother’s cooking. He was shy, worked hard, didn’t leave home much, and cooked like a chef in a five-star restaurant. Granny Smith had long ago stopped cooking meals for the family, when she first learned of Big Mac’s culinary talents.

“Mighty fine breakfast you done cooked as always,” said the mare.

“Thanks, AJ.” he smiled.

She helped her brother wash the dishes, and clean the table. After that she got out some apple cider, put it in a saucepan, and set in on the stove. Granny Smith would be up in a few minutes, and she would be expecting her warm apple-cider with a cinnamon stick to be ready. That was once of the few things that Granny expected of her. Do your chores, behave yourself, assist the apple-family when assistance is needed, and have Granny Smith’s cider ready when she needed it.

Macintosh finished cleaning the dishes.

“Alright sis, I’m goin out to start workin,” he said. “I think I’ll go harvest the apples on the north-east corner today.”

“Alright, big brother. I’ll be out to help yall once I’ve got Apple Bloom off to school,” she said.

“Alright, sounds good, sis,” he opened the screen door, and walked outside.

AJ walked over to the range, and killed the flame. As if on cue, Granny Smith appeared in the kitchen doorway. Applejack hadn’t even heard her come down the stairs.

“Well good mornin, Applejack!” she said loudly. “Do you have my cider ready for me?”

“Of course,” she poured the hot cider into a mug. “Did you sleep well, Granny?”

“Did I ever!” she exclaimed. “That new pillow-thingy y’all got for me truly works wonders. I haven't slept this well in ages!”

“I’m glad you like it, Granny.” AJ smiled. “Would you like me to get anything else for you?”

“No no, I’ll just have the cider.”

The orange earth-pony opened a cupboard, retrieved a fresh cinnamon stick, and placed it in the mug. She then carefully carried it over to the table, and set it down. Granny Smith sat down, took a sip, and smiled.

“Perfect,” she said.

“I’ll go wake up Apple Bloom,” said Applejack. “She won’t ever get up otherwise.”

Applejack turned around, and to her surprise, Apple Bloom was just walking down the stairs. She had her school saddle bag strapped onto her back.

“Good mornin sis!” said the filly with a big smile.

“Well I’ll be!” exclaimed Applejack. “Since when have you decided to start getting up on your accord?”

“I dunno,” replied Apple Bloom. “I just decided that I might make your life a bit easier for a change, sis.”

“Well ain't that mighty thoughtful of you,” said the mare.

The filly looked past Applejack. “Oh, and good mornin to you too, Granny Smith. I didn’t see y’all sitting there.”

“Good mornin dearie. You seem rather exuberant today,” said the grand-mare.

“Uh, exuber-what?” asked the filly.

“Exuberant. It means happy,” replied Granny.

“Oh, well that's because today in school is show-and-tell day!” exclaimed Apple Bloom.

“Well then, what are you bringing to school?” asked Applejack.

“This,” the filly opened up her bag, took out, and held up a photograph. It was a snapshot of the entire Apple family. Apple Bloom was centered in the group. Big Macintosh, Applejack, and Granny Smith were standing around the filly, and the rest of the family stood behind them.

Applejack remembered that day. It was the group picture from the family reunion a few years ago. That was the same day Twilight first showed up in town.

“I figured that by bringing in any old thing to school, I would have only one thing to show the class. But then I thought, if I brought in a family picture, I would have a whole bunch of people to talk about,” she said.

“I’m happy to hear that you put your family before anything else. You don’t know much that means to me. Come here, give your ol’ granny a hug,” said granny.

Apple Bloom walked over to the elderly mare and gave her a hug.

“Aww, group hug everypony!” said Applejack, holding back a tear. She joined in on the embrace.

After a moment, AJ broke away, and the hug fell apart. Apple bloom looked down and noticed Granny Smith’s beverage.

“Whatcha drinkin there, Granny?” asked the curious filly.

“Oh, just some warm apple cider that your sister made for me,” she replied.

“What?” began the young pony. “Warm apple cider! Applejack, why didn’t you make me some?”

“Well sis, if you would have gotten up on your own these past few years, you would know that I make this for Granny every morning,” replied Applejack with a smile.

“Really?”

“It’s true. There ain't nothing like a cup of warm cider in the morning,” said Granny.

“Maybe tomorrow mornin I’ll make you some, if yall get up on time. But right now, you gotta get yourself off to school. Go get yourself all ready, and don’t forget your lunch,” instructed the orange pony.

“I know, I know,” the filly rolled her eyes.

“Alright, then get to it!” commanded the mare. “I’m heading out to work, Granny. Just yell if you need me.”

“Alright, be careful,” wished Granny Smith.

“I will, bye Granny!”

“Bye bye now.”

Applejack snatched up her hat, on the rack next to the door, then proceeded to step out into the sunny day. She inhaled deeply, and caught the scent of morning dew on the grass, and wildflowers slowly opening their petals to face the rising sun in the distance. The distinct sound of a morning dove reverberated through the air, as well as the sound of the wind rustling against the leaves of the trees.

Applejack’s favorite thing about living on a farm, was being around nature. She could listen to the peaceful sounds of Equestria, without being disturbed. Living on a farm, in a small town was far different than living in a city. No skyscrapers, no large businesses, and the population was a few hundred, rather than a few million. It is going to be a nice day, she thought.

As much as the mare wanted to stand there, and admire the beauty of the land, she had no time to do so. There was work to be done, and trees to be bucked.

Applejack approached a shed outside the house, and opened up the door. Once inside she retrieved a special saddle, with a stack of baskets fitting neatly inside one another mounted on each side. She would use those baskets to catch, and store the apples, once fallen from the trees. Once a basket had been filled to the brim with fruit, she would lift it out, and set it on the ground. Later on, she and her brother would come by in a wagon, and retrieve all of the baskets.

She closed the door to the shed, and began to trot away from the farmhouse, and as she did so, she whistled. Appearing out of a dog house next to the farmhouse, came a small brown, and white figure. It turned, saw Applejack, and bounced up to her, wagging its tail rapidly. The small Border Collie jumped up, and began to lick Applejack’s face.

“Yes, yes,” giggled the pony. “Yes, good mornin Winona, stay down now.”

Winona obeyed, and jumped down from the pony’s front, still wagging her tail.

“Are you ready to help out ol’ Applejack, do some work today?” asked the earth-pony.

Winona barked happily.

“That’s what I like to hear,” said the pony.

Applejack continued to walk along her path through the trees. Today she was planning to harvest the apples on the northernmost side of the farm. The trees she passed by had already been harvested. Only a few sections of the orchard still needed harvesting, and Applejack figured that Big Macintosh, and herself could get it done by the end of the week. After that, the season would be over, and preparations would be made for the following year.

As the pony walked down the path, Winona would occasionally dart away to chase a bird, or a squirrel, but would return soon after, every time. Winona was a good dog, Applejack had trained her well. She always did exactly as instructed, and came running the second she was called.

After a few more minutes of walking, she reached the first of the apple trees that needed harvesting. Beyond them, to the right and the left, stretched out acres and acres of ripe apples. Their red color stood out against the dark green leaves, like an ornament on a Hearth’s Warming Eve tree. In the distance, Applejack could hear the distinct *thwack* of her big brother bucking his own trees. The sound occurred every minute, or so, and soon the mare would join in on the beat.

Applejack stretched out her legs, and her neck, and then approached the first tree. She looked at it closely, turned around, and prepared herself. Over the years, she he acquired a natural sense for the trees. Applejack, by simply judging the height, and size of a tree, could accurately estimate where the center of gravity was located, and deliver a blow to the spot that produced the best results.

The orange pony looked back once at the tree, then closed her eyes. Without looking, she kicked the tree with tremendous force, causing it to shake, and a loud sound to echo out into the distance. All at once, the apples fell, and the pony was ready to catch them. Those which she failed to catch in the basket, she picked up off the ground, and placed them in the baskets herself.

The next tree that Applejack bucked was even easier to do, and the same followed for every other tree as she got warmed up. She kicked, and the apples fell, an ancient ritual her family had been performing for generations. As she filled the baskets, she set them down, along the main path. Apples fell by the hundreds, and if she sold them for one, or two bits each, then she would be bringing in a nice profit to the family. Ponies were always buying apples this time of year, and not all the apples that she harvested would be sold. Many apples from other parts of the orchard, would be made into pies, and other such pastries.

Applejack continued to buck for a few hours, until she could no longer see any apple-bearing trees in her vicinity. The northern orchard was not completely harvested yet, but it was getting there. The mare turned in the direction of the house, with the intent of getting herself a glass of water, when she noticed one last apple tree.


Huh?” she said to herself. “Guess ah missed that one.”

The pony walked up to the tree, turned around, and bucked. The tree shook, and Applejack ran underneath it, but the familiar sound of the red fruit impacting the basket was entirely absent. The mare looked up.

“What in tar nation?” she said aloud.

Not a single apple had fallen from the tree. Applejack knew she had kicked the tree correctly, she always did. Not once had she ever failed to harvest an apple tree on her first kick. Ever since she had first perfected the technique, when she was a filly, she had never made a mistake.

She prepared herself, and gave the tree another kick. Once again, no fruit fell. Applejack stepped back, and stared at the tree. She was getting very frustrated, and confused. Why was this tree so different from the rest? Why wasn’t she able to...

Her thoughts were suddenly stopped short, by a loud sound right next to her. Applejack jumped, and whirled around, to find a cyan-colored pegasus standing next to her.

“Whoa!” said Applejack. “Careful there Rainbow Dash, y’all gonna give somepony a heart-attack one er’ these days if y’all keep...”

“No time to talk, Applejack,” Rainbow Dash shut the earth pony up. “Twilight is in trouble, and Fluttershy is taking her to the hospital. I need you to go there, and meet up with her, while I go and get the others. Understood?”

“Uh ya,” began Applejack. “But what’s wrong with Twi...”

She was caught off by the sudden barking of Winona. Applejack’s dog ran up to Rainbow Dash, and jumped on her, knocking her to the ground. Rainbow Dash had no time to react, and Applejack was stunned. Winona had never behaved like this before.

“Winona, no!” commanded the earth-pony. “Get off of her, bad dog, bad!”

Winona obeyed, and instantly climbed off of Rainbow Dash’s chest. She was no longer wagging, instead her tail was between her legs, and her head faced the ground.

“You do not jump on ponies, understood?” she scolded. Winona continued to look away.

“Sorry about that, Rainbow,” Applejack apologized. “I don’t know what’s gotten into her.”

“It’s fine,” replied the cyan pony. “I probably just started her, with the rough landing and all.”

“Still, that’s no excuse on her part,” Applejack gave the dog another stare. “Anyway, what did you say was wrong with Twilight?”

“Fluttershy didn’t tell me anything,” said Rainbow. “Just go to the hospital, and she will explain everything to you. I need to go round up the others. See you there!”

The pegasus turned around, spread her wings, and took off back into the sky. Applejack watched her fly away, then turned around to give the tree a final stare.

“I’ll deal with you later,” she said to the tree.

The tree failed to reply, and remained emotionless.

“Come on Winona!” she called. “I need to go tell Big Mac, why I’m leaving.”

Applejack broke into a run, in Big Macintosh’s direction. Twilight Sparkle was in trouble and no amount of apples in the world could compare to the wellbeing of her friend.