• Published 12th Aug 2017
  • 4,326 Views, 37 Comments

Red and Gold - Rose Quill



Sunset returns home to face the consequences and finds things she didn't expect.

  • ...
2
 37
 4,326

Afternoon, August 29

"Sunset, can I come in?" Twilight asked.

I rolled over in bed and looked away from the door. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anypony, but I also knew that if I didn't answer, she'd likely pester me until l gave in.

"Whatever," I grumbled. "It's not like I can stop you if you really wanted to come in."

The door opened, and in the reflection in the window I saw Twilight's muzzle wrinkle for a moment at the stale air. She looked at my back and took on a look of concern.

"Sunset, you've been holed up in here for four days," she said softly. "Won't you at least come out and join us for dinner?"

"No," I said, my tone neutral. "I don't want to go where I'm not welcome."

"What do you mean?" She asked. "You've always been welcome here. You're my friend!"

I rolled over suddenly, the mess my mane had become flopping over my shoulder.

"Friend?" I snarled, all the frustration and worry from the last couple of weeks pouring out suddenly. "You may be my friend, but that's all I have going for me!"

Before she could respond, I lit my horn and showed her the scene from the other morning, Rainbow's harsh words boring through my skull again.

"Sunset," she whispered. "That isn't what you think..."

"Isn't it?" I fumed.

"Rainbow tends to speak without thinking," Twilight said, ears pinning back against her head at my tone.

"If I had known I'd be unwelcome here in any way, I would have never come home." I looked down, before shouldering my way past her and taking off down the hallway in a canter. I didn't care where I went, I just needed to be alone, the castle suddenly stifling.

I found myself coming to a stop under a small copse of trees and laid down as tears starting welling up.

"I'm such a fool," I said, swiping at the tears. "I should have known they wouldn't be like the girls."

Slowly, a few drops of rain began to drip down, growing steadily into a shower. I felt my coat and mane getting soaked, but I didn't care. It hid my tears.

"Yo, Sunset!" A voice called. "What are you doing out in the rain?"

I rolled my eyes, looking up to see the sky blue Pegasus above me.

"What do you care?" I asked bitterly. "I thought you didn't trust me."

The Pegasus had a look of surprise on her face.

"You heard that, huh?" she asked sheepishly.

"You aren't exactly soft spoken," I growled in reply.

"Look, I'm sorry," she started.

"Save it," I said, lowering my head back to my forelegs. "I just want to be left alone right now."

She flew off after a single glance back my way. I stared at the roots of the tree I was under, tears mixing with the rain.

I don't remember falling asleep, but when I woke up, I was covered in a warm blanket and a canopy had been strung over my head in the branches of the trees.

I looked at the blanket, confused. It wasn't one of Twilights, it was too simple and looked hoofmade. It also wasn't something I saw Rainbow owning, and she was the only pony that knew where I was.

I felt a smile tug at my lips as I folded the blanket with my magic. I wasn't sure who had done it, but there was a small bit of appreciation for the act.

I would figure out who it was later. I probably should go apologize to Twilight. She didn't deserve the anger I had unloaded on her.

Slinging the blanket across my back, I headed back for the castle.