• Published 29th Jun 2017
  • 2,042 Views, 32 Comments

Colorless Magic - SparkStone



A human boy gets a new life under the wings of Rainbow Dash. After gaining family and friends, he pursues to find out more about himself.

  • ...
5
 32
 2,042

Rainbow in the Sky

Monochrome sits with Rainbow’s family and eats breakfast together. After the meal, Rainbow Dash turns to Monochrome with a wide grin.

“So, looks like you and I are gonna go out to town and get everything you need!”

“Um… What do I need?” He asked.

Rainbow turned to her mother and raises out her hoof. “Mom! The list!”

“Here you are, Rainbow!” She cheerfully says as she delivers her daughter a scroll of paper. Once in hoof, Rainbow opens the list and shows Monochrome. It’s a small list of much needed items, such as a toothbrush, a clothing, and other necessities.

“We need to get you this stuff today! That way, we won’t have to worry about it later!”

“What a good girl Rainbow is!” Her father cheered. He turns to Monochrome and says, “It’s a good thing Rainbow is helping you out today!”

“Thanks Rainbow Dash.” Monochrome says gratefully. “I’m very glad to have you helping me.”


“Thanks Rainbow, but do we really have to fly so high!?” Monochrome shouts as he hugs Rainbow tightly, his eyes closed tight as Rainbow flies him high over town.

“Yeah, of course! This is a great time to test my mettle!” She replied.

The two were over the buildings over Cloudsdale, flying to the stores they needed to go. The trip had Monochrome on the edge of his seat, or almost off Rainbow for that matter. They land and go near the store, Monochrome is still shaking and groaning as Rainbow trots inside the store. The store clerk watches Rainbow and her new frightened companion still holding onto her.

“Hey! I’m looking for the toothbrushes!” Rainbow tells the clerk.

“Uh… they’re over there…” He informs her. “So… Who is that?”

“Him? His name is Monochrome.” Rainbow tells him. “He’s living at my house, so I’m getting stuff he needs!”

“It looks like he needs a break.” The clerk stated. “He looks like he’s about to keel over.”

Rainbow looked at Monochrome’s exhausted expression. Realizing he was tuckered out, she turns to the store clerk once more. “You have medicine for air sickness?”


The two exited the building with a bag of the items on the list. Monochrome rested up and walked around outside with Rainbow Dash.

“Can we walk for a while?” Monochrome asked. “I want to take a small break before we fly again.”

“Yeah, alright.” Rainbow agreed. “But don’t forget we have other places to be!”

“I know.” He responded with a sigh. As they walked for a bit, he saw an ice cream cart pass by. He had a craving for something cold after seeing it pass by. He wasn’t the only one either, as the colorful pegasus then asks, “You want some ice cream?”

“Yes!”

The two walked to the vendor who took a good look at the two. He’s used to seeing fillies, but Monochrome was a first for him. He knew a child when he sees one though.

“I see you’re new in town, sport.” He states.

“He’s bunking in at my house!” Rainbow stated.

“Ah! Moved into Cloudsdale?” He smiles. He takes out two scoops of ice cream and gives them each strawberry. “You like strawberry? On the house for your first time!”

“Thanks!” They both said gratefully.

The two say their farewell to the vendor as they ate their cold treats. Hey stroll some more while their treats were still cold and edible. Walking past the tall buildings of white, they come across one in particular. It was a stadium of fliers, specifically for the Wonderbolts.

Rainbow looked up with sparkling eyes. She really wanted to go inside. Monochrome looked at her starry gaze and had an idea.

“Wanna go inside?”

“Yeah!” She replies almost immediately. “But… I don’t have enough money for tickets…”

“How much do they cost?”

“More than ice cream.”

Monochrome held his chin for a moment, wondering what to do. He looked up and noticied the stadium was shaped in a certain way. He soon had an idea and turned to Rainbow.

“Do we have enough money for binoculars?”


The fliers zip by at amazing speed. Their trails leave behind smoke and lightning. It was a thrilling masterpiece of aerial tricks and mastery of the air itself. The two sit on a cloud from a reasonable distance, relaxing as Rainbow looks through the binoculars. The stadium had no roof, so they could watch from afar. Rainbow barely contains herself as she sees the fireworks go off with the Wonderbolts. Monochrome smiles as he watches the cyan blue pegasus have a good time. Rainbow turns to Monochrome and smiles widely.

“This is awesome!”

“Next time, we’ll be able to go in there ourselves.” Monochrome tells her.

“Really think so?!” she says in almost disbelief.

“Just give it some time.”

Down in the stadium, they had t-shirt cannons blasting souvenirs to the audience. They reached far, able to be caught by pegasus in the back of the crowds. Rainbow was excited to see this as well.

“You think of those shirts will reach us?”

“That might be stretching it.” Monochrome chuckled.

Unexpectedly, a t-shirt cannon holds too much air in, and fires the shirt in a long distance and over the crowds within the stadium. It hurls straight to Monochrome’s face and pushes the boy off the cloud. Rainbow Dash was in a spur of surprise before she got off the cloud and dived down to reach him. She gets closer and closer to him until suddenly, he pierces through the cloud with Rainbow being stopped by the dense cloud making up the ground of Cloudsdale. She looks through the hole where Monochrome passed through, only to see him continuing to fall down to the surface of Equestria! She quickly dives down even faster this time. She keeps going and going until she was able to grab his hands and do a loop back up. In moments, they reach back to Coudsdale, catching their breaths.

“Are you okay!?” She asked, out of breath.

Monochrome hugs Rainbow as a response. He breathes heavily but doesn’t cry or say anything. He just holds Rainbow for a while until they calmed down. Once they have, he was able to speak.

“… I’m happy you’re here with me…”

Rainbow simply grins and says, “No problem! I’ll be there whenever you need me!”

She laughs triumphantly while Monochrome takes something out.

“I somehow managed to get this.” Monochrome told her. “Do you want it?”

Rainbow looks at Monochromes hands to find that he was able to hold onto the t-shirt of the Wonderbolts. She holds it in her hooves before squealing.

“Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! You’re the best!”

She embraced Monchrome with a tight hug. Monochrome was happy to simply repay a bit of her kindness to him so far.


At the doorstep, they discussed things before entering their home.

“Now remember, let’s not tell Mom and Dad about the thing with the Wonderbolts and stuff.” Rainbow told Monochrome.

“Right.” Monochrome nodded.

They had everything they obtained packed in the bag. As they opened the door, the parents welcomed them with warm embraces and congrats to ordinary tasks. As strange as this day has been for Monochrome, he couldn’t wait to see another day like this go into his life.

Author's Note:

The plan was for this story to be kind of quick with a fleeting life of youth and stuff, but someone made a valid argument that I didn't make Rainbow and Monochrome that close as siblings go.

So I spent extra time to make that story instead of making more chapters. Don't worry though, the next couple of days will continue where we left off.

BTW, as far as the stuff I usually write goes, this story is about multiple moments in life, not just him and Rainbow being Best Sibling Duo Ever. (BSDE)

But yeah, I'm happy to write about it.