• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 3,373 Views, 69 Comments

Stone and Sky - Visiden Visidane



What the Choosing Stone says, goes.

  • ...
12
 69
 3,373

Limestone Pie and Soarin Sort Things Out

'What am I doing?'

It had been a couple of months since that ridiculous flying show and that meal with the pies. Limestone scowled as she watched the workers fumble a routine cart filling. "Move faster!" she shouted at them. "Svengallop, you load carts like old ponies rut! Don't make me light a fire under you!"

Two months when her parents took a fortnight. She was a failure alright. Some successor. She should have gone with her initial impulse: sat him down, told him what was going to happen, then set him straight. Yet, she didn't. She played the tongue-tied little fan, and chased him to a show, then went on some kind of date afterwards, then another, then another, then another...

Limestone's scowl deepened, and the workers all around her yelped and moved faster. What was she to Soarin after all this time? Just another swooning fan he could treat like he wanted? He had a boulder to the head waiting for him if that was the case.

She deserved one too for letting things get out of hoof. What was it with his big, stupid-looking grin that made her lose grasp of the situation? He wasn't so special. He was a slacker who couldn't be bothered to upstage his captain when he could have, he rarely took things seriously, he was a feather-back...

She sighed.

...and he was carefree and well-traveled. Everything even she knew she wasn't, but her sisters kept insisting she should be more of. He had a lot of interesting things to talk about thanks to all the cities he had visited. She only had this rock farm. He was probably bored of her already. But was she even allowed to give up? The Choosing Stone couldn't be wrong. She looked up, more as a break from seeing how inept her workers were than anything else. Across the blue expanse above her, a small speck of darker blue flew swiftly in.


'What am I doing?'

Soarin had asked himself that pretty frequently these days. Here he was visiting the Pie Rock Farm yet again, going through the same motions that got him nowhere for years. What did he see in Limestone anyway? She was usually surly, she didn't hold back with the name-calling, kind of racist...

Soarin sighed.

...and very devoted to the things she cared for: family, work, tradition, maybe him? Straightforward, grounded, pays for her own stuff unless he sneaks in his treat, and, yes, very pretty. Those eyes...oh, he'd gaze into them alright. On the several times they'd already gone out, it was always the highlight for him to get a crack on that stony exterior to see the...slightly less hard interior.

The truth was, though, Soarin was tired of the motions. He was tired of the dating, and the flirting, and the will they or won't they. It's been fun. He didn't regret how he had lived during his younger years, but the fun's stopped being fun. He had only realized it recently, but he suspected that he was hedging all his bets now on Limestone.

She was looking up at the sky and straight towards him when he approached her. Oh, damn, that was an unusually deep scowl on her face. Her workers must have really screwed up or something. He put on his best grin, a tactic that ocassionally softened her just a bit, before landing next to her.

"Hey, Limestone," he said.

"Soarin," Limestone replied. She was gruff as usual, and she didn't even look at him. "We're pretty busy today. No dates or anything."

"I wasn't going to ask," Soarin said. "I just wanted to talk about something."

Limestone turned to face him. Thos big, sharp, green eyes wide, genuinely curious and expectant. He swallowed, then looked around. "Maybe somewhere private?" he asked.

She led him past all the workers, past the mines and the thousands of rocks, and in front single, egg-shaped, monolith. At least he thought it was the front. "What is it?" she asked softly.

There was certainly at air of solemnity around this place. The monolith was surrounded by a low wall with large signs warning others not to touch it. Whatever the thing was, it was likely the most sacred thing on this farm. "Limestone, I..." Soarin scratched his head, suddenly aware of how familiar this scene was. Should he go through with it? Maybe he'd just drive Limestone away. Maybe he was being selfish.

Limestone's lips were pressed tightly together. She fumbled over something inside that pouch she was always carrying. "I've got something to say too, to be honest," she said.

Oh, good. Now, it was a race.

"Limestone..." Soarin squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his jaw for a few seconds. "Limestone, I wanted to know--"

"--to get serious," Limestone said.

Soarin stared at her dumbly, an expression she reflected.

"I mean," they both said.

"Will you just let me finish?" Limestone snapped.

"Alright, alright," Soarin replied.

"I'm not here to play around, Soarin," Limestone said. "I love you, and I want to get married." She had turned bright red at this point, and it was clear that she was forcing the anger just to keep from being ovewhelmed. "I mean, first it was just out of tradition, but now, I really..."

The embarassment won out, and her voice trailed off. She turned away, shielding her face with a hoof. "Look, forget what I just said."

Soarin placed a hoof on her shoulder and turned her around. A risky maneuver as she could probably fling him across the farm. "I wanted to know how serious this was," he said. "Pretty serious, it seems."

Her lips quivered a bit. She was about to say something, but he put a hoof to her lips. "I'm pretty serious too," he added. "More serious than I've ever been."

Her warm breath carressed his face when she let out a relieved sigh. Then, she smiled a small, impish little smile. "This is your most serious?" she asked. "Dad tied the knot in a fortnight."

"I'm not Igneous Rock Pie," Soarin replied. "I'm just a stupid feather-back, but I'll get this done. I promise you."

He leaned in closer, taking in those big, green eyes, just before she closed them. She circled her forelegs around his back, with a crushing, barely contained grip, and pulled his lips to hers.

Comments ( 44 )

I love it! Sequel I demand!!!

This ship came out of nowhere and I love it.

What the fuck.

This was fantastic. Your characterization and voicing were magnificent; the contrast between Limestone's tense, abrasive, judgemental outlook and Soarin's half-relaxed, half-weary attitude showcases both characters, celebrating their strengths and weaknesses alike. The world building was well thought-out and subtly folded in. And I especially love how this wasn't pure, instant sickbed romance. It took time and friendship and mutual respect. Excellently done. Best of luck in the contest.

I just hope that either Dash adapted to the Second Wing's expectations or Spitfire got that stick out of her rear.

...
...
...
:yay:

I like the idea here. I think you have a number of threads that really could add to the work through a sequel could also work. We know Pinkie has a are friend and it is one of her best friends. We also know Dash is in over her head and needs help. Neither of these have been addressed but I do think that they would work together. Pinkie and Dash being the couple and having to deal with the changes here would be interesting and would give a good excuse to have Pinkie and Limestone interact with each other.

I really well done piece. The dialogue, interactions, and general romance bewteen Lime and Soarin felt amazingly natural. I'm glad I took the time to read this.

Great work.

That was fun. Limestone is very, uh, colorful.

I like the idea and the crackship, but it didn't really have time to cook. The characters were well-written and characterized, but had basically no connection or chemistry between them other than "hey thanks for not leaving me to die in your field" and "a rock said I need to marry you and I'm clearly still not enthused by this". It sort of skipped the defrosting phase, and then a confession happened...two months later with literally no interaction in between (DERP no)?

8231119 Limestone's introspection at the start of this chapter says they've been on multiple dates since the airshow:

chased him to a show, then went on some kind of date afterwards, then another, then another, then another...

I agree that it was fast paced and would've worked better had it shown another date or two to build some more chemistry between them. Hadn't seen this ship before, so it was still enjoyable and both characters felt in-character.

As is, the story was decent. Just needed an extra chapter in the middle to flesh it out a little more. Would be interesting to see a sequel just to see how things continue to play out between these two.

fck i need more daw juice i used all mine up on this story

That was lovely. Really nice work.

I love this story~! Make a sequel! (Also include a cat fight between Limestone and Spitfire in that sequel..PLEASE!!!)

8232754
i do belieave we are and yes i know sorin is cool but i liked limestone actions in this story it reminds me of something along the lines of its not that i like you or anything baka :rainbowdetermined2:

This is a cute little romance you got here. Not a pairing I would ever consider though that's hardly surprising given neither of them have ever met in the show but I felt like this worked well for what it was. I would have wanted it to be a little longer and more fleshed out but it's definitely good enough to get a thumbs up, even if not enough to get a favourite.

By the way Limestone needs to beat the hay out of Spitfire or at least Pinkie should for putting too much pressure on her marefriend (I'm assuming). :pinkiecrazy:

Welp, this is gonna win the contest. May as well not even try now. :ajsleepy:

8232903
LOL, I know right? :rainbowlaugh: This is what I wrote in another comment.

Oh, that question caught her off guard. Limestone's eyes widened before she suddenly turned away. "None of your business! I mean..."

Translation: "It's not like I came all this way to see a show I don't like to see you, baka." That's what I think she was saying at least. It was still a fun story to read. I hope the writer will make another one. :raritystarry:

Well that was a pleasant read. I think I would have liked a bit more interaction between Spitfire and Limestone but that might have made it a bit to cliché.

Perhaps a sequel with how they get along in newly married life, hint hint nudge nudge.

I love the concept, the unusual pairing, and the lore with the Choosing Stone (I'm surprised I haven't seen it in more fics). I also love how all the dregs of society end up working on the rock farm. However, I agree with some other commenters that it was rushed toward the end. It could have used some descriptions of a couple more dates to build the relationship more. I guess that's one of the drawbacks to trying to meet a contest deadline. Still, have an upvote from me. :pinkiesmile:

8233660
same i dont know why but i have been reading a lot of limestone fiction lately

Darn ponies with their predestination and all that.

8233931
Oh, that's easy Limestone is just awesome. :rainbowdetermined2:

8234534
dont let her catch you saying that she may just deck you XD

hnnng this hooked me from the start with its interesting personality's and is cool no fat story, man it was just so great that i want more now especially after that ending.

Well done bro.

What do you think of Maud and Spike chosen by the Chosening Stone?

I personally like Limestone Pie and Lemon Hearts as best Limestone ship (lemon lime). But this was cute. Would love to see married life with these two.

This is a really great story. I would've liked more chapters before the ending, but I understand the rush of contest deadlines!

I kinda wish there was more to the ending, but it was good regardless. Cute, and I hope they have enough heirs to satisfy Limestone.

And they both lived happily ever after...

Ok, Soarin died in bed at the comparatively early age of sixty five and he was missed by his wife and their twenty three foals. :fluttercry:

The cause of death was a crushed pelvis. :rainbowhuh:

His last words were "Totally worth it!" :pinkiehappy:

This has been a bit of uncanny valley for me:

My cannon of Soarin began with his earth pony younger brother making him a pet rock for his birthday; then dying the next day in an accident Soarin caused, making Soarin extremely attached to that pet rock and talking to it like it was his younger brother; to the point that the only story with Soarin as the main character is narrated entirely from the perspective of his pet rock. After that it kind of seemed natural to write a disaster-shipping between him and Maud; so the idea of Soarin on the rock farm was no stranger to me, just a very different delivery than I'd done.

Overall it had good characters and writing. An enjoyable read even if it was a very shallow plot that seemed even shallower in comparison to Upheaval.

I joined the group for the unusual shipping contest, but the forum was empty. Is the contest over?

No big review from me this time. I've had a rather bad few days, and this gave me well needed relief from it.

Adorable! I love it! There were a few spelling errors but don't take it personally. I'm a grammar freak. But seriously, this ship was AWESOME! I'd sail with it :rainbowlaugh: great job!!!

A nice, unexpected, comfy story. Thanks for sharing!

Limestone and Soarin are characterized really well--Limestone a little more than Soarin. I think the voicing was really well done. But I'm going to have to agree with those who say Limestone was too unlikeable in the first chapter, and that there's not really much chemistry between the two.

Still, it's interesting how you almost made this crackship work, and moments where characters expressed emotion were handled quite well. It's an entertaining read regardless :twilightsmile:

Oh, that was a great story. Limestone and Soarin are such a cute couple and their described characters fit perfectly together.

A sequel would definitely be worth reading. :raritystarry:

very nice

I'd fave this just for Limestone, but the fact it was a neat and charming story between two neat and charming characters nets you a positive comment and upvote as well.

I don’t know...I liked the idea of the ship and all, and a lot of Limestone’s personality was kinda funny...but it felt...a bit unfulfilling.

It could have used a lot more in depth exploration of how these two would actually fall in love, and not feel nearly as rushed as it was written here.

Also, any enjoyment I could have had about this story vanished every time Spitfire was badly characterised in it. Look, she may not be perfect, but she is not a completely unreasonable bitch who would dump someone in a way that makes her seem like she’s suffering from extreme mood swings. And seeing the story go out of its way to portray her negatively instead of focusing on...I don’t know, the relationship between Limestone and Soarin, really made it hard to like this story in the end.

8657427
im in the same boat. this is excellent writing but the fact it was for a contest shows in that it feels like it could have been much longer. regardless this caught me off guard, a far cry from what i expect from visiden and just as brilliant as anythin i would expect

Great writing, however i belive that you could have emphasized in how their relationship worked... That would have made it exceptional.

Pretty cute overall. Hope Spitefire for off of her Dash Bash train.

Huh, I like this story. It's one of those ships that most people wouldn't even think about, but it is really genus. Like Tempest and Pharix.

I have one complaint about this story. I feel it should be longer and have more build-up in their growing feelings for each other. Otherwise, this story is good.

Login or register to comment