• Published 18th Apr 2017
  • 1,115 Views, 15 Comments

The Tale of the Three Sided Medallion - FlareGun45



After the Mane Six, Spike, and Starlight Glimmer have a dream about a mysterious cave in the Everfree Forest, they journey out to discover it's secrets, including one of Equestria's oldest friends, who's also the brother of the most evil villain.

  • ...
4
 15
 1,115

Trespassing

Over at the Changeling Kingdom, Thorax was just sitting on his throne, yawning in boredom, when suddenly a couple of changeling guards burst in with Scorpan and Spike while their limbs are trapped in changeling goo.

“Your highness,” one of the guards started, “we found these two around the main entrance, and they requested to see you. I think they’re spies!”

“Would spies burst through the front door?” Spike asked sarcastically.

“Yeah, seriously!” Scorpan agreed.

“Spike!” Thorax gasped in surprise. “How dare you, guards?! That’s my friend there! He’s always welcome into the hive! Release him immediately!”

“As you wish.” The guard said as he removes Spike’s goo bindings. “What about the fat one?”

“Fat?!” Scorpan yelled, feeling offended. “It’s muscle!”

“Indeed.” Thorax agreed. “Uh, Spike? Good to see you, buddy, but… who’s this?”

“This is Scorpan! I told you about him!” Spike reminded him.

“You didn’t say he was… not a pony.” Thorax informed him. “What is he?”

“He’s a gargoyle.” Spike said. “You can trust him, believe me! He’s my friend! He’s another misunderstood friend.”

“Oh, I can relate to that! Release him at once!” Thorax ordered his guards.

“You sure about this, your highness?” The guard asked.

“If Spike vouches for him, then I trust him too.” Thorax said. So the guard obeyed and removed Scorpan’s goo bindings as well.

“I am so sorry about that!” Thorax said to his guests. “Spike, you should be treated with far better respect around here.”

“Hey, I’m used to being an unsung hero at times. Sometimes literarily unsung.” Spike teases.

“Well, it’s really good to see you, Spike!” Thorax said. “And, so you’re Scorpan, huh? Pleasure to meet you!”

“The pleasure is all mine, King Thorax!” Scorpan said as he shakes his hoof. “Spike told me all about you!”

“Please, just ‘Thorax’.” Thorax insisted.

“Okay, ‘Just Thorax’.” Scorpan teases.

Thorax chuckles at his joke. “So what brings you two here anyway?”

“Well… I kind of had an outing with Twilight.” Spike said.

“It was my fault, really.” Scorpan admits. “I’ve been too lazy lately, and a little scared for reuniting with my brother, so Twilight kicked me out, and Spike came with me out of pity.”

“Not just that, but Twilight really offended me.” Spike added.

“Well then, I will not allow her here if she ever comes. You have my word on that, Spike!” Thorax promises. “After all you’ve done for me, I’ll make sure you two have your space!”

“Oh, don’t worry! I strongly doubt Twilight’s coming!” Spike said.

“Well, you’re welcome to stay as long as you two want!” Thorax offered.

“Thanks, bro!” Spike said. “Do you have anything for us to do while we’re here? I mean… since we’re here, we might as well do something.”

“Oh, well, I don’t want to be an inconvenience for you.” Thorax said. “I just want you to be happy and comfortable, and feel hospitable here!”

“I insist!” Spike said. “I don’t want us to be an inconvenience for you.”

“I agree.” Scorpan said.

“Well, you never can be an inconvenience for me, Spike!” Thorax said. “But if you’re really insisting, I’m sure I can use some help with the kingdom, even though things have been slow lately. Ever since I became the new leader, and we’ve all been giving each other love, there hasn’t been much plotting and such lately, so the changelings have gotten bored.”

“Ah, so you wish the assistance of Ambassador Spike?” Spike asked.

“That depends though.” Thorax said. “I mean we have no idea what to do next. We have our alliances with the other neighboring kingdoms around Equestria. Then again… there is one race that not even Equestria has an alliance with yet, and they’ve been a bit of a problem lately.”

“Who?” Scorpan asked.

“The cyclopes over at the Arimaspi Territory, just north of us.” Thorax said. “They usually keep to themselves and want nothing to do with pretty much any changeling, or any pony for that matter.”

“So how are they a problem?” Spike asked.

“They’re actually starting to expand their territory into our own.” Thorax said. “I don’t want to start a war with them or anything; I just want them to… you know… back off a little. That’s all.”

“And you need my help?” Spike asked.

“Only if you want to.” Thorax said. “You have really good reasoning skills, Spike, so maybe you might be reasonable with them and hopefully they can stop trespassing and go expand somewhere else.”

“I’ll be right on it, Thorax!” Spike salutes. “Maybe I’ll even start an alliance with them while I’m at it!”

“I doubt it, but you’re an Equestria ambassador, Spike. You can’t talk to them on my behalf, so I’ll have to do the talking; but I need your reasoning skills.” Thorax said. “I’m sure it won’t take long! Scorpan can come too as insurance.”

“I accept that!” Scorpan said.

“Alright then! I’ll arrange a meeting with Arimaspi Territory’s leader. I’ll let you know when I need you!” Thorax said. Spike and Scorpan both nodded in agreement.

The next day came, and Thorax, Spike, and Scorpan, along with some changeling guards exited the hive and travelled through the wastelands and headed over to where Arimaspi cyclopes were setting up a camp a few files from the hive.

“Oh I’m feeling a little nervous.” Thorax says as he took some deep breaths. “I never talked to a cyclops before.”

“It’ll be fine, Thorax! Don’t worry!” Spike said. “Just be yourself, and try to be kind to them. If cyclopes are anything like any other race we’ve meet, it should go along smoothly!”

“Well… I hope you’re right.” Thorax said as he gulps.

“Pretty sure I am! I never doubt myself!” Spike said.

“Even when you failed to stand up for me the first time I met your friends?” Thorax reminded him.

“Ugh,” Spike groans in annoyance, “now I know how Starlight feels when her past gets reminded.” Just then, Spike started feeling weird. “Speaking of the past, I feel like I’ve been here before. Like kind of a déjà vu feeling.”

“Yeah, I get that sometimes.” Thorax said. “But weren’t you here before when you got captured by Chrysalis?”

“I’ve never been to this part of the wasteland though.” Spike said.

“There they are.” Scorpan points ahead where a cyclops camp lies.

“Let me do the talking, okay?” Thorax asked. “Spike, if you have any tips, just whisper them in my ear. Sound good?”

“You got it, dude!” Spike thumbs up.

Thorax takes a deep breath as he walks over towards the camp. The cyclopes were too busy to notice Thorax, so he tries to get their attention vocally. “Umm…” Thorax starts as he clears his throat. “Excuse me? Sirs? Umm…” The cyclopes direct their attention at Thorax and glare at him threateningly. “Umm… hi! I’m… err… King Thorax of the Changeling Empire, and… heh.” The cyclopes get more annoyed and angry as Thorax got more nervous.

“Dude, stop being so nervous. You’re going to show them how weak you are.” Spike whispers in his ear. “Be more assertive!”

“Uh, right, right!” Thorax understood. He directs his attention back at the cyclopes and acts all tough as he changes his accent into more of a western accent. “Hey, tough guys! Y’all think you have the guts to set your hooves on MY land?”

“Oh brother.” Spike shakes his head.

.”Who do you think you are, bug?!” One of the cyclopes asks threateningly. “You might know this, but YOUR turf is over there.” The cyclopes points to the hive. “It’s neutral turf over here, so we claim it!”

“Uh, no.” Thorax said. “This is changeling turf. I’m sure we can have a mutual understanding here.”

“Yeah we got a mutual understanding for ya!” The cyclops started. “None of us wants to get hurt, right? So turn around, walk back to your cozy little hive, and leave at peace!”

Thorax was stumped. He then pushes Spike in the middle and says, “I volunteer Spike the Dragon to represent on the changeling’s behalf.”

“Oh, c’mon! Really, Thorax?” Spike asked him, feeling sold out. Thorax just shrugs embarrassingly.

“A dragon… representing the changelings?” One of the cyclopes asked.

“I thought you two had some kind of conflict?” The other cyclopes asked.

“Uh, we did! We used to, but it got resolved!” Spike said. “Look, I understand that you are in need to expand your land, right?”

“Our territory is in need of it, as our population is growing rapidly.” One of the cyclopes said.

“We need more land.” The other cyclops said.

“I understand that.” Spike said. “Unfortunately, this area belongs to the changelings already.”

“Unfortunately?’ Thorax asked feeling insulted.

“Really? We don’t see their name on it!” One of the cyclopes tease.

The other cyclops laughs as he bro-fists his friend and says, “Heh, good one, Gearhorn!”

Spike sighs and asks, “Look, can we just talk to your leader, please?”

“You want Captain Corkscrew?” Gearhorn asked.

“Uh, sure. Bring in Captain Corkscrew.” Spike accepts. The cyclopes decided to grant their request as they walked towards one of their tents to talk to the captain. Thorax and his friends all followed.

“Are you sure this is going to work, Spike?” Thorax asked. “These cyclopes don’t seem that reasonable.”

“Hey, they agreed to let us see their captain, so that’s a great start!” Spike said.

“He’s right.” Scorpan said.

“I know! He would make a better leader than I!” Thorax admits.

“No I would not.” Spike said. “I may be a good ambassador, but leader? HA! Don’t make me laugh!”

“But you just did.” Scorpan pointed out.

“It was a figure of speech.” Spike corrected him.

When the guards escort Thorax and company to the tent where Captain Corkscrew is, Gearhorn says, “Captain Corkscrew…” But the captain immediately shoots a laser very closely towards Gearhorn and hits the side of the tent.

“What?! I’m busy!” Captain Corkscrew complained while testing out his laser gun. “I’m testing out our magic-captured laser.”

“Magic-captured laser?” Scorpan asked.

“Gearhorn, who are these clowns?” Corkscrew asked.

“This is King Thorax from the nearby hive, and his company.” Gearhorn said.

“Changeling, huh?” Corkscrew asked as he scans Thorax with his goggles.

“Wow, you really are pretty advanced with technology, huh?” Thorax asked.

“Some rely on magic, and some would rather invent. No magic usage required!” Corkscrew said. “You know, for a changeling, you look kind of different. In our files, it’s said you bugs looked more like rotten swiss cheese.”

“Ok, first off, that’s offensive.” Thorax said. “Second…”

“Bla bla bla, all that about being offended!” Corkscrew teases. “Come on, grow a backbone, even if you bugs have any!”

Thorax started to get pretty angry, but Spike comforts him to calm him down and decides to take over. “Captain Corkscrew?”

“Hmm.” Corkscrew scans Spike with his goggles. “A dragon, huh? I thought the changelings had some conflict with your kind?”

“We used to.” Spike said. “But we settled our differences with the help of the ponies!”

“Wow, this group is full of surprises!” Corkscrew says impressively as he scans Scorpan next. “A group containing a changeling, a dragon, and a gargoyle, and they have an alliance with the ponies! Races have been getting more tolerant with each other, huh?”

“It’s the magic of friendship, bro!” Scorpan said.

“Friendship?” Corkscrew asks curiously. “Hmm, never heard of a type of magic like that. I must know a bit about it! Our president would love to hear all about this!”

“Well, I’m sure we’ll be happy to tell you all about it!” Spike said.

“Great! This is going to make a fascinating new discovery for the cyclops people!” Corkscrew said excitedly.

“Under one condition,” Spike continued, “you have to get your property off of changeling land.”

“Granted!” Corkscrew said. “Anything to add to our research! It was pretty nasty here anyway, and it smelled.”

“HEY!” Thorax yelled, feeling offended.

“Yeah, I pretty much want us to find new land anyway that’s not here!” Corkscrew said. “However, I didn’t want us to come all this way here for nothing; so please, tell me everything you know about this ‘Friendship Magic’.”

“With pleasure!” Spike said with glee.

“But real quick, since you’re a dragon and all, can you relight this lantern here?” Corkscrew asked as he shows his burnt out lantern.

“Of course!” Spike accepted. He sparks up his mouth, and blows on the lantern to light it up; however, no fire ignited from his breath. Spike was feeling quite confused, so he tried again. He takes a deep breath, and when he exhales, nothing. “Huh, that’s odd.” He said.

“What’s wrong?” Thorax asked.

“My fire breath, it’s not working.” Spike said.

“Feeling nervous just like from the Equestria Games, I assume?” Scorpan asked.

“No!” Spike said. “I’m not nervous at all! I feel pretty excited that we got what we came for, but my fire breath isn’t working.”

“Huh… that’s odd.” Thorax said, feeling confused. “Do you know what it might be?”

“No, I have no clue at all.” Spike said.

Scorpan was feeling pretty nervous for Spike. He then says, “Um, it’s no big deal really! Perhaps if we spark some rocks or something, we can relight it that way! I’ll go and, errr, get some! In the meantime, go ahead and tell the cyclopes your ‘friendship magic’, I’ll be right back!” He runs out of the tent in a flash, leaving Spike and Thorax to explain the magic of friendship to the cyclopes.

“Ooooookay then!” Thorax said akwardly, continuing their meeting with the cyclopes. “Shall we… begin?”

Meanwhile, outside of the tent, Scorpan mumbles to himself, “No! It’s too soon! Ugh… I think I might have made a terrible mistake. I just hope it’s just all in my head.”

When Spike and Thorax completed the meeting with Captain Corkscrew, the three of them exited the tent and rejoined with Scorpan, who was pacing outside. “Well, I’m glad we came to an agreement!” Thorax said.

“Absolutely! Sorry for intruding in your land, your highness.” Corkscrew said.

“Please, just Thorax is fine!” Thorax insisted.

“Don’t tell me what to do.” Corkscrew complained. He walks back inside his tent as Spike and Thorax proudly walked proudly towards Scorpan.

“So, all went well?” Scorpan asked.

“Sure did!” Thorax said.

“But why did you walk out on us, Scorpan?” Spike asked.

“It’s, errr, none of my business.” Scorpan said. “I’m here as protection, remember?”

“Right! Thank you both so much for your help!” Thorax said. “Both of you have been a great help, and I’ll make sure your time in the changeling kingdom will be hospitable!”

“Thanks, Thorax!” Spike said. “Even though I do forgive you for stealing this land from the dragons!” He teases as he nudges him.

“Oh right, my apologies!” Thorax teases as they both laugh.

“Huh?” Scorpan asked curiously.

“Oh, this land used to belong to the dragons before the changelings came.” Thorax informs him. “Well, kind of a family of dragons since there’s a dragon nest over there.” Thorax points East where an abandoned dragon nest lies.

“Whoa! I gotta check this out!” Spike excitedly runs over to the nest to check it out. Scorpan was feeling pretty uneasy on Spike’s discovery.

“Are you okay, Scorpan?” Thorax asked.

“I’m fine.” Scorpan said nervously. “I’m just… you know… why would Queen Chrysalis steal a land from the dragons?”

“There are changeling hives all over the world,” Thorax explained, “and Chrysalis wasn’t just the queen of this hive, she had one right before this. She was one time challenged by another queen, and the changelings turned on her, so she left, and she came here. She made a new changeling population, and used them to build a new hive right here. Her minions were already building this hive by the time she found out there was a local dragon population here, so with some help, she drove the dragons out. I mean, that’s what Captain Corkscrew said in the Cyclops History. I should ask some of my subjects if they heard of anything like this.”

“Huh.” Scorpan said as he watches Spike observe the nearby nest. Spike was really interested in the nest, but he started to feel weird again, so Scorpan walks over to check up on him. “So… how’s the nest, Spike?”

“It’s a very nice nest!” Spike said as he rolls around in it. “Very comfee! Very warm! Feels very secure! Then again… it feels awfully familiar.”

“Another déjà vu feeling?” Scorpan asked.

“Probably.” Spike said. “Anyways, I think I had enough.” He yawns widely as he stretches his arms upwards of him. “Anyways, it’s kind of been a long day. I’m going to take a nice long nap. Good night, Scorpan; or good… afternoon-night, whichever.” Spike makes himself comfortable in the nest as he was about to fall right to sleep. Scorpan shakes him a bit to wake him back up. “What? What’s going on, Scorpan?”

“Uh, why are you falling asleep in that nest?” Scorpan asked as he chuckles. “The hive is back that way.”

“Oh, heh, right!” Spike felt embarrassed. “I find a random fossil nest filled with shattered egg shells, and here I am, falling asleep on it like it’s my own crib. Pathetic, right?” He and Scorpan both chuckle at his remark.

“Here, you can relax on my back till we get back to the hive.” Scorpan offers as he carries Spike out of the nest, and places him comfortably on his back. Scorpan and Thorax walk back to the Changeling Hive as Spike falls right back to sleep. “Well… I just suddenly had that déjà vu feeling as well.” He mumbles.

“It’s been a weird day for that for you two, hasn’t it?” Thorax asks as he chuckles.

Author's Note:

If you look on the Equestria map, you can see the Arimaspi Territory, it contains the mountain with the giant skull on top of it. That place has yet to be explored in the Cutie Map, and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. We know that the cyclopes live there, but we don't know anything about their culture. I'm guessing they're a highly advanced civilization that focuses on evolution, but they tend to stick to themselves and don't want to be bothered which pretty much anyone that isn't a cyclopes, but they do have a lust for knowledge! That's just my point of view of them, I have no idea what they're like in Equestria Prime!