• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 12,435 Views, 683 Comments

A Matter of Genetics - Guardsman_Sparky



In which I find an old costume and immediately regret it.

  • ...
74
 683
 12,435

Training and Tribulations

The next few days after my dream encounter with Luna were spent productively. I furnished a good portion of the castle with homemade furniture (some of it was...better than others...), cleaned the grounds of errant vegetation that my reconstruction had missed (along with the bodies of several dead vermin), and cleared out the old courtyard of weeds, rocks, and assorted garbage and other refuse. I could have done without (re)discovering the fact that I do not like hornets, at all, and no, the fact that I momentarily forgot that I was psychic has nothing to do with it.

The rest of my time, that not spent cleaning the castle or looking for food (I miss bacon) was spent training. In my throne room, I practiced patience and control of my psychic abilities, as well as that of my emotions. In the forests around my castle, I hunted or simply wandered, relying solely on my psychic senses to sense my surroundings. And finally, using the freshly cleared courtyard as a makeshift Pokemon arena (something that I had forgotten to include in my castle renovation and really needed to rectify), I worked on and trained my Pokemon moves.

Just like I am right now.

A dead tree exploded into splinters as I punched it with Brick Breaking force. Spinning around, I let out a loud cry as I leapt at a large boulder, fist cocked back and enveloped in a raging aura of reddish energy.

"MEF!" Ka-crack!

Standing in the boulder's shattered remains, I brought my feet together and my fists to my sides. Opening my fists, I slowly extended my paws to my front, palms out at chest height as I slowly let out a breath. Dropping the stance, I took in the results of my training. Piles of matchwood and patches of gravel lay scattered across the courtyard, the remains of approximately a dozen dead trees, logs, and boulders that I had hauled in as practice dummies. I smiled and nodded sharply. I now had two attacks, Brick Break and Rock Smash, down pat.

It might surprise you to know this, but despite being a Psychic type, the Pokemon moves that came the easiest to me were all physical attacks, such as Fighting type moves (though Brutal Swing, being a Dark type attack and thus somewhat antithetical to myself, was still very much a work in progress). It's probably an artifact of the martial arts training I had in my old life. I don't remember which discipline it was, or how high I got, but I do remember that I was very proud of my achievement.

I have a feeling that if I were to unlock a Mega-Evolution, it will be the Psychic-Fighting MegaMewtwo X form. On the other hand, with my luck, it would end up being MegaMewtwo Y just to screw with me (In other words, its a toss-up).

Picking up all the debris in my telekinesis, I swept it out to the side, leaving me with a clear space to work with. Now came the hard part. Spreading my feet apart, I leaned forward to my left. I closed my eyes. Drawing my right paw back, I took a deep breath and focused. Eyes snapping open, I slammed my back foot forward and thrust my right paw forward. Psyshock!

A bolt of psychic energy shot forward from my paw, racing towards the last log standing in the courtyard. It screamed across space, rending the air with a crackling keening, only to dissipate a bare yard from my paw. I slumped in disappointment.

Of course, despite my success with more physical techniques, the purely energy based ones remained just out of reach. Yes, I could manipulate or attack through telekinesis and create shields. But they weren't moves, they weren't Psychic or Barrier or Reflect: they were just simple manipulations of psychic energy, pale imitations of what they should be. There was something, some unquantifiable factor that I was missing. I could drop as many boulders or use as many vine nooses as I wanted, but without that something, they would never be anything more than sad mockeries of Rock Slide or Grass Knot.

Giving it up as a bad job for the moment, I took note of the dust and wood chips caught in my fur. Grunting, I took to the air, heading for my private chambers. I needed a bath.


My chambers...weren't really as impressive as I would have liked. They mostly consisted of a simple, round room at the top of the bailey's central tower, with rows of windows around the circumference of the room to provide ample lighting. It was sparsely furnished, with just a simple wooden table and stool to eat at from stone plates (which were little more than stone disks, considering that I still hadn't mastered stone cutting without aid from the Genius loci). The bed was basically a primitive hammock woven from long grasses and fronds taken from the forest and hung from the ceiling.

The "door" to my chambers was a simple hole in the center of the room. A corresponding hole sat in the ceiling of the throne room: the short tower above little more than a vertical hallway. I had plans to add in a retractable spiral ramp that would let flightless visitors enter my chambers, should the need ever arise, but the application of such a thing was far beyond my current abilities and knowledge.

Then there was the master bathroom. It wasn't really a bathroom, per say: there weren't any walls separating it from the rest of my chambers...well, chamber, I suppose. I had tried putting some in, but they had just interfered with the lighting from the windows (besides, I lived in my castle alone, and my chambers were only accessible if you could fly). Still, I had a section of my bedroom designated as the bathroom, with simple, primitive fixtures that were little more than a raised basin, a hollow stone box with a small hole in the bottom, and a hole in the floor (my sink, bathtub, and toilet, respectively).

Of course, it wasn't until I had finished my primitive bathroom fixtures that I discovered something somewhat disturbing.

So, as it turns out, I uh...I don't defecate. Or urinate. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't expel any sort of bodily waste at all. I still eat, and I still drink, but, uh, I don't know where it all goes. At all. And I'm not really sure I want to know.

...Moving on!

Currently, I sat submerged up to my muzzle in my tub, rather underwhelmed by the experience. I'd had to draw my own bath, had no way to heat the water, so it was rather cold, and I had no shampoo (didn't need soap, I'm covered in fur, remember?). I sighed, a flurry of bubbles frothing before my nose. At least it got the dust and wood bits out of my fur.

As I wallowed in the tepid water, I considered the problem I was having with my moves. Why was it that moves that a Mewtwo should learn naturally just would not work, while Brick Break and Rock Smash, two techniques that Mewtwo did not learn naturally, came as easily to me as breathing air? I sat back, looking at the ceiling as I considered what I remembered of Pokemon.

Pokemon learned moves as a result of leveling, mostly through winning fights with other Pokemon: the moves that could be learned this way were limited, though. However, there were ways for Pokemon to learn techniques outside their traditional moveset, such as the Technical Machine, which used a library of disks to teach a Pokemon a move. There were also Move Tutors, who, as the name implied, tutored a Pokemon in the use of a move.

I growled in frustration. I probably couldn't use the techniques I'd been trying because I wasn't "leveled" enough, i.e., hadn't won enough Pokemon battles. Which could be a problem, considering I was the only Pokemon around to my knowledge. Of course, that still left the conundrum of how I had learned Brick Break and Rock Smash without either a Technical Machine or a Move Tutor.

Hm. I did have previous experience in martial arts from Before. Perhaps that experience was enough to impart the potential to use those techniques. If that was truly the case, then I should be able to learn new moves from observing or experiencing certain natural phenomenon. Of course, until proven otherwise, it was still just a theory.

Sighing, I stood up, letting go of the grip keeping the water in the tub. As gravity and fluid dynamics asserted themselves (the water flowing down a channel leading to the head of what I had wanted to be a gargoyle, but was now just an abstract sculpture), I stood and lifted myself from the tub. Layering a field of telekinetic energy over my skin and pushing it outwards, I effectively wrung out my fur. I was still a bit damp, but I suspected further practice would rectify that little issue in the future. Mostly dry, I set myself down on the floor and looked about.

It was as I was looking at the now, mostly defunct bathroom (I say mostly, because while I had plugged up the toilet hole, I still needed to bathe and be able to wash my hands), that I realized I had a problem: you can't really build a quality, modern indoor bathroom without knowledge of plumbing. And, unfortunately, the Genius loci was of no help, having been abandoned before the advent of modern plumbing techniques. I'd have to go elsewhere for the information I needed.

Fortunately, I knew just the place.


The Golden Oaks library was aptly named, I thought, considering it was carved from a very old oak tree. I assume magic was involved, probably earth pony, considering the tree was still alive and thriving, despite missing most of the inside of its trunk.

I puttered around the shelves, looking for anything on construction, building, plumbing, electrical wiring, or what have you. I wasn't having much luck though. I'm pretty sure Spike was the one who reshelved these books, because the way they were arranged, I really couldn't see somepony as organized as Twilight being this sloppy. The shelf I was currently browsing was an excellent example of what I was talking about. Law Fence of Saddle Arabia, Anatomy of a Dragon, Daring Do and the Blue Monkey, How to... Oh dear Lord, what is wrong with these ponies? Brain bleach! I need brain bleach!

So, after I recovered from my...unfortunate discovery, I resumed browsing the shelves--as far away as I could get from that one. Still no luck. I'd go and ask someone for help, but nobody was home when I got here, so I was on my own.

Of course, shortly thereafter, the door slammed open and Twilight came in, her mane rather unkempt. To my surprise, she completely missed my presence (not sure how, I'm a bipedal cat as tall as Celestia is) and rushed upstairs. For some reason, I could clearly hear Twilight talking to herself, despite the distance and obstacles between us.

"Clock is ticking Twilight. Clock. Is. Ticking!"

I looked up at the ceiling in consternation.

"If I can't find a friendship problem, I'll make a friendship problem!"

With a mad cackle, Twilight came thundering down the stairs and out the door, once again completely missing my presence.

Um...

Slowly, I reached out with the tip of my tail and shut the door. I'm pretty sure that, whatever that was, I wanted nothing to do with it. So, without further ado, I promptly forgot that that ever happened, and returned to browsing the shelves.

Oh, hey! Dummies' guide to Plumbing! Sweet! Grabbing the book from the shelf, I cracked it open and began to read.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no." I didn't get very far before the door slammed open, admitting an admittedly panicked infant dragon. Seeing his purple scales and green frill elicited a spark of recognition. I believe this was Spike, the baby dragon hatched from an egg by Twilight's magic. I forget the exact circumstances, but I think he was adopted?

Of course, as what seemed to be the pattern, Spike ran by without noticing me, proceeding to run in circles around the library floor, expressing various exclamations of panic.

I stared at him in concern. Are...you alright?

Spike screamed, spinning around even as he jumped halfway to the ceiling. "AUGH! Don't scare me like that!" Of course, immediately after that, he realized who he was talking to. "Yo-you're the Hellcat!"

I sighed. I prefer Mewtwo, actually.

"M-Mewtwo?"

My name, I clarified.

"Oh, yeah. I think Twilight said something about that." Spike scratched his cheek, trying to act nonchalant. "So, uh, what brings you here?"

Well, I was looking something up, I started. It could wait though: I was a bit curious as to why Spike was so panicked. But what about you? You seemed a bit distressed.

"Twilight!" Spike gasped. "She's so worried about disappointing Princess Celestia she's gone crazy!"

And just like that, you've lost me. I started to turn back to my book. I don't do crazy: I've had enough of that myself to last a lifetime.

"Please," Spike plead piteously. "I don't know what to do."

Dang it, he's giving me the puppy eyes, and I don't think he even realizes it. I sighed. Have you tried asking someone for help?

Spike gasped. "Princess Celestia! She'll know what to do!" The little purple dragon promptly disappeared up the stairs.

Um...good talk?


"Mine!"

"It's mine!"

"I want it!"

"Gimmie!"

"MINE!"

A commotion outside drew my attention away from my book. Sighing, I snapped the book shut and looked out the window. There, rampaging through the town, was a mob of crazy ponies fighting over, of all things, a homemade, patchwork doll. I blinked at the commotion with bemusement.

Must be a Tuesday.

With a shrug, I returned to my book. It really wasn't my problem, and I had no desire in getting involved in...whatever that was.

Ponies be crazy, yo.


"Ack! What are you doing here!?"

I looked up from my book (would the interruptions never end!?) to see a bedraggled and slightly unhinged-looking Twilight standing in the doorway.

It's this little thing called 'reading,' I snarked. You should try it. You do live in a library, after all.

"Wha? I! You!" Twilight sputtered at my flippant answer.

Yes. Words. Use them. I watched with some fascination as Twilight's mane began to smolder. Perhaps I was laying it on a bit thick? I was a bit miffed at all the interruptions to my reading, but I'm not sure it was worth being attacked over.

Of course, Celestia chose that moment to walk in, which, fortunately doused the embers in her protege's hair. "Twilight? Is everything alright?" She paused in the doorway as she saw me. She regarded me coolly for a moment. "Hellcat."

I stared flatly at Celestia before returning my attention to my book. Not my name.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Celestia purse her lips as if she had just tasted something sour. "Apologies. Mewtwo. Might I ask the reason you are in my student's home?"

I again stared flatly at Celestia. This is a library. For what reason do most beings generally go to a library for? I lifted my book as emphasis, before returning my attention to it, again.

Celestia scrutinized me carefully before turning to Twilight, albeit not without keeping an eye on me. "Twilight, is there somewhere private we can talk?" Huh. I wondered what Twilight had been up to today, if dealing with that took precedence over dealing with me of all things.

There's tea in the kitchen, I offered. I noticed the looks the two mares were giving me. What? I was thirsty.

"Let us retire to the kitchen then," Celestia suggested, eyeing me carefully.

As the two ponies disappeared into the kitchen, I went back to my book. Maybe now I'd finally get to finish this page.

"WAIT!"

Oh goddammit. What now?

I turned to see the front door fly open, disgorging a passel of ponies into a pile. A moment later, Rainbow Dash flew through the door, coming to a stop with a somersault landing. "Wait Princess, it's not Twilight's...fault?"

"Dear heavens," Rarity exclaimed as she trotted daintily in. "They must already be on their way back to Canterlot."

At that, Pinkie popped out of the pony pile, wailing dramatically. "Noooo!"

I decided to pointedly ignore how Pinkie had extracted herself from the pile without shifting the other three with her. They're in the kitchen.

The ponies all started and spun to face me. Rainbow dropped into a low fighting stance. "You! What are you doing here?" she snarled.

I blinked. That was a...tad more aggressive than I expected from her. Was she still sore about using her as a meditation tool? I lifted my book. Reading, I answered, glaring at the book. Or trying to, at any rate.

"Now Rainbow, Ah know ya don't like him," Applejack interjected. "But Ah don't think he's here ta make trouble."

"He did say Princess Celestia and Twilight were still here," Fluttershy stated timidly.

"What?!" Rainbow shot up into the air, spinning around to face her friends. "Why didn't you say anything!?"

Pinkie bounced up into the air. "Twilight! I'm coming!" And with that, Pinkie shot forward, crashing through the wall. The other four ponies, quickly followed, heading to the kitchen through the provided door.

I stood there, frozen as I tried to comprehend what had just happened. Pinkie Pie had shot into the air, stayed there in sheer defiance to the forces of gravity, and had then proceeded to shoot forward on a flat trajectory--without any source of external force, I might add--going straight through a solid wooden wall and leaving a perfectly pony-shaped hole, complete with gaps shaped like a poofy mane and tail. I stared at it with incomprehension.

What!? How!? Why!? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

I stared at the Pinkie Pie-shaped hole in the wall and took a deep breath. I took another one. And another one. But the hole was still there, still impossibly Pinkie-shaped.

Nope. Nope, I am not dealing with this. I am leaving, before I lose my mind (again) trying to comprehend what I have seen. I am going home, and I shall try again later. Preferably without anything pink in the vicinity.

I put the book back on its shelf, and, exiting via the still open front door, I took to the skies: within moments I was over the trees of the Everfree Forest. I was just going to go home, lie in my hammock, and forget today ever happened.

...

Shoot. I forgot to ask about the koi fish.