• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 6,902 Views, 290 Comments

My Little Exalt - Lithl



When ponies get trapped in another world, lives change. When ponies gain new powers, worlds shake.

  • ...
12
 290
 6,902

Bonus: Prologue (Original)

Author's Note:

I feel kinda bad about my lapse in posting. Between being in the dumps over the shutdown of my favorite PC game and helping my friend move into his apartment (why does my everything hurt?!), I haven't done anything with MLE this past week. I'm also going to California to visit with one of my Italian brothers (previous exchange student) this weekend, so I'll have no time to write then, either.

As an apology for my extended tardiness, here's the original prologue I wrote for My Little Exalt. I had a friend read over it (credited as Geren Covant in the prologue chapter), and I rewrote it into the current prologue based on his feedback.

THIS CHAPTER IS NOT CANON. While the timeline of events coincides with what happened immediately prior to the canon prologue, the specifics do not necessarily coincide (should I ever flashback to these events in the story). You can freely skip reading this chapter and not miss anything in the MLE story.

Also, one of the major reasons why I rewrote the prologue was because I wasn't happy with the writing I did in this chapter. Specifically, it's kind of an infodump, trying to pour too much info from the Exalted universe onto the reader too quickly. If you have any problems with the writing in this chapter, know that I've probably got those same problems. Still, I want to give you something and this is all that I have to give to you.

My Little Exalt
BONUS: PROLOGUE (ORIGINAL)

by: Lithl

special thanks:

Rhanite


In an inhospitable swamp on the edge of Creation stands an unremarkable burial mound some 100 feet tall, built by some race long forgotten to prehistory. In the surrounding swampland, no animal or plant life exists… but despite the lack of life, there are apparently rotting animals and plants that still exist, the magic of the region allowing them to even go so far as to produce equally rotted offspring. Such is the Noss Fens.

Within the burial mound affectionately named the "Mound of Forsaken Seeds", corridors twist and turn, as if carved by some gargantuan earthworm. Chambers within are lit by steel lamps, furnished with steel furniture, steel children's toys are strewn across the floor, and even steel flatware rests on some of the tables. And yet, if one were to sit in quiet contemplation; if one were to put an ear to one of the steel productions, one would hear hundreds – perhaps thousands – of voices, screaming in eternal agony.

The voices of children haunt these halls. This is not because the children are dead; they are in fact the only truly living beings within the borders of the swamp. Yet the children also know what their ultimate fate is likely to be. It happened to their parents, their grandparents, and all of their ancestors for the past thousand years. All of these children have witnessed death at the hands of their adoptive 'mother'. They have witnessed their families harvested like heads of cabbage, smelted into the very screaming soulsteel they rely on for light, for comfort, and for entertainment. These children know that, eventually, their 'mother' will return them to their village, where they will grow into her next harvest, when she will take their children to begin the cycle again. This is the fate of all the children in the mound. All save one.

One child lives apart from the rest. One child has received a gift of near-immortality from her 'mother'. One child walks the line between life and death, and serves her 'mother' without question. One child will aid her 'mother' during the next harvest. One child has had her name ripped from her soul, to be crowned Shoat of the Mire.

But even the Shoat does not – dares not – venture into the deepest parts of the mound. In the dead center lies a vast, open room. The walls, floor, and sparse decorations and furnishings are all sculpted, oriented, or designed to draw attention to the center where a throne sits before an open well. Sitting in the throne, staring deep into the well, sits the 'mother', The Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils.

The Dowager sits naked on her throne, save for a half dozen veils made of a translucent black silk, and an ochre body paint from head to toe. Or, what would be her toes, if her legs didn't end in the cloven hoof of a ram, paired with the ram's horns protruding from her head. Beneath the obscuring shadows of the veils, her eyes can still be seen, burning yellow in the darkness. As she stares endlessly into the Well of Udr, she strokes its edge with the snakes that have taken the place of her fingers.


Several weeks after an accident transporting Twilight and her friends to another universe where they met male versions of themselves, Twilight is in the library's main room studying her new book, Many Worlds in One: the Search for Other Universes, by esteemed Doctor Alexi Vilenkolt (responsible for the Theory of Eternal Inflation of Magic and an important researcher in the field of Quantum Magic). After a first-hoof encounter with another world, Twilight was eager to read what theoretical research had to say on the matter.

Compared with historians and detectives, the great advantage cosmologists have is that they can actually see the past. Light from celestial bodies is millions or billions of years old by the time it reaches our telescopes, so we observe them as they were millions or billions of years ago. This wonderful vision, however, has its bounds. Even though we can trace the history of our universe back to its creation, we are still unable to see just how that creation came to pass. Was it created by our dear princess, or is she a product of this universe as much as we are?

The worldview that has emerged from new developments in cosmology is nothing short of astonishing. To paraphrase Doctor Neigh Bolt, it may even be crazy enough to be true. This worldview combines several contradictory features: our universe is finite and infinite, evolving and stationary, eternal and yet has a beginning. This theory also predicts the existence of remote regions of our universe containing planets just like our own, with the same continents and terrain, inhabited by identical creatures, including our clones and clones of our princess, some of them holding copies of this book in their hooves.

Twilight frowned a little as she read, noting the singular 'princess'. She flipped back to the credits at the front to find the date it was printed, and sighed, dejected. Seven years old, plenty old enough for nopony to even think of Nightmare Moon as real, much less remember Princess Luna. And when it came to the theoretical fields of magic, seven years was practically a lifetime. Twilight levitated the book to its place on the shelf, uncharacteristically leaving it unfinished.

Twilight turned back to another book lying on the table, the one which had started her whole adventure, Exploring the Æther for Fun and Profit. If theoretical magic and cosmology couldn't help her, then perhaps the scrying spell which she had accidentally mixed with her long-distance teleportation spell would let her experiment for herself with the existence and diversity of other universes.

Sitting back on a pillow, Twilight closed her eyes, and concentrated on the leylines surrounding her. To start, she focused on the frequency she had used to access the gender-swap dimension she'd landed in before: 40.1 Kiimehertz. Twilight opened her mind's eye to the power resonating between her horn and the clearly marked leyline, contorting in shapes that would cause any mundane eye to bleed. Suddenly she had a bird's eye view of Ponyville, and was able to move her point of view around freely. Below her, oblivious to their invisible observer, familiar ponies continued in their daily lives. Familiar… except for the gender they were supposed to be.

Twilight took a deep breath and opened her mundane eyes, momentarily disoriented by the view of her library overlapping with the floating view of the town outside in her mind. "Okay, now to start experimenting!" She extended a tendril of power to her desk, pulling a roll of parchment, quill, and ink bottle closer to her as she settled in to take notes on her findings. Finally, she shifted the frequency of her focus, snapping her mental image to another Ponyville in another universe.


The Dowager looked deep into the Well, combining her magic with its inherent power, scanning other worlds for a solution to her master's problem. Centuries ago, the Dowager had used her magic to pull a disease from within the Well – from another universe – which she released upon the land. Nine of ten died to the 'Great Contagion', whether it was man, beast, or plant. Had it not been for the glory-grabbing actions of her so-called 'allies', the Dowager reasoned, her pestilence would have annihilated all life in Creation. With all life destroyed, her master could finally slip from his current existence. Whether to finally fall those last few centimeters into the yawning pit of Oblivion or spontaneously return to his former nigh-omnipotent glory, neither master nor servant cared. After endless suspended millennia, escaping the precipice was what was important.

On the inky surface of the Well, many shifting images could be seen. The Dowager seemed to be able to control the images to some extent, though not even the god of secrets knew exactly how. Suddenly, all of the images in the Well blinked, and the Dowager drew back in hesitation. After a moment, she returned to her ministrations over the Well, only to have the images blink once again. Before the Dowager could continue searching other worlds for another weapon to wield against life itself, all of the images floating in the Well converged to form a single image, spanning the entirety of the Well's surface.

Unable to control the images displayed to her any more, the Dowager stared down into the face of a surprised-looking… purple… unicorn?


"And in Universe Upsilon Beta 9-6, we have… hairless, tailless diamond dog-like creatures, nearly half of them dressed similarly to the super heroes in Spike's comic books." Even through her pride at her ability to organize a simple, efficient naming system for the universes she viewed, Twilight had to shake her head at that one. "I'm sure Spike would jump at the chance to visit 'comic book world', and I realize an infinite number of universes means every possibility is covered, but that's just absurd. Moving on!"

Zeta Tao 7-63: creatures apparently made of shadows (relation to the Nightmare? Warrants further study!)
Alpha Upsilon 24-2: apparently uninhabited, but the remains of several metropolises like Manehattan suggests an advanced civilization used to live here
Omicron Zeta 12-20: cyborg ponies!
Epsilon Tau 27-2: many clockwork devices, no evidence of other sentient life
Delta Zeta 24-10: more hairless, tailless diamond dog-like creatures; all dressed in the same uniforms, all seem to have the same coat color (peach/white), same mane color (white/yellow), and same eye color (blue)
Tau Gamma 9-24: appears to be one giant Everfree Forest!
Sigma Psi 20-7: many buildings that appear to be laboratories; looks like biological research
Lamda Rho 57-20: night everywhere – did Nightmare Moon win?!

As Twilight continued her mental observation of other universes, she didn't notice the heat building at the base of her horn when viewing certain dimensions, and dissipating as she looked away. Perhaps, if she had made note of the sensation, and cross-referenced it with the universal addressing system she had divised, she would have been able to make an inter-dimensional map. A map showing a circle where her horn began to heat up, with more heat building the closer she came to the center of the circle. And if she had calculated the universal address of the center, she would have known to avoid scrying into –

"Next on the list is… Chi Rho 34-71!" Twilight closed her eyes to help concentrate on her new destination, and then opened them again, ready to take notes and by now used to the strange double-vision. But this time, when she opened her mundane eyes, she didn't get a double-vision of her library and another world. This time, she saw the same thing with both her mind's eye and her physical eyes. And, unlike every other world she'd viewed where she began with a bird's eye view looking downwards which she could move nearly any distance with her mind, this time she was staring immobile up at an earthen ceiling, her view obscured by a singular figure. And unlike every other world she'd viewed, this time the figure she saw stared back.


The Dowager was just as shocked at the development in the Well as the unicorn appeared to be. As she took in the unusual sight, she was oblivious to the previously invisible runes that began appearing along the outside of the Well. They began as a faint black shimmer, barely visible in the dark throne room. Quickly enough for an outside observer – if there had been one – to readily notice, the runes began to glow blue, and gradually increased their intensity.


Blind to her surroundings, Twilight had no choice but to stare into the eyes glowing from within the shadows of another world. Only now did she notice the heat creeping slowly up her horn, spiraling as if somepony had poured molten steel into the groove around it, which flowed upwards base to tip. Twilight cried out in pain, but couldn't tell if anypony had heard it, or even whether her cries were audible, or locked inside her head.


The Dowager looked on with the same analytical interest she gave to other worlds she had seen over the years, searching the vast expanse of the multiverse for the antithesis of life. The spiral around the unicorn's horn began to glow red, at first merely a point of light where the horn met her skull, then spiraling upwards. The unicorn cried out in pain – apparently the glow was not normal, and was excruciating if the creature's reaction was any indication. The Dowager sneered a bit, relishing in the pain of a living creature. But as the red glow neared the tip of the unicorn's horn, the Dowager snapped back to her reality, finally noticing the glowing blue runes on the Well.

No consciousness survives for centuries without either going mad or becoming quick-witted. While some might claim the Dowager was both, it was easy for her to connect the loss of control over the well, the glowing unicorn's horn, and the previously unseen runes on the exterior of the Well which was now glowing bright enough to make it painful to look at, even for the Dowager. Unfortunately, while she was quick enough to assimilate all the facts presented and form an accurate conclusion based on them, she was too late to stop what was about to happen.


There was an explosion. Or perhaps it was two explosions. Or it was an explosion for each and every world in the multiverse. Or there was no explosion at all. As described in an unread chapter of Twilight's discarded book, the real answer was 'all of the above'.

Regardless of what was going on in the realm of inter-dimensional physics and quantum magic, the two mages each heard a small 'pop', much like ears popping when gaining extreme altitude. Everyone (everypony?) else in the vicinity of each mage heard something entirely different. From Sweet Apple Acres to the Everfree Forest, and from the western edge of the Noss Fens swamp to the wyld bordermarshes on its opposite side, every sentient being was deafened and blinded by what was, in their minds, definitely an explosion.


Twilight opened her eyes, magically exhausted as though she'd been casting some of the most difficult spells in her repertoire for hours on end. Through the exhaustion and the tingling feeling of relief from pain, it took her a few moments to register the fact that she was no longer in her library, but sitting on a throne in the same dark earthen room she'd been staring up into moments before. A discolored circle marred the ground in front of her, as though something had been sitting there for a very long time and was only recently moved.