• Published 25th Feb 2017
  • 1,934 Views, 195 Comments

What Follows Hugs - David Silver



Tsuki the moon rabbit has led his people, and King Sombra, towards better places, not that he understands what he's doing. He just wants rabbits and ponies to be happy. A little hug between friends goes a long way to put bad feelings to rest, right?

  • ...
6
 195
 1,934

2 - A New State of Affairs

"Sister, did you not consider--"

"I considered many things." She paced restlessly back and forth, the sun shining in through the stained windows reflecting off her dark pelt in odd patterns as she went. "He is learning."

"At what expense?" Celestia reached and gave Toby a gentle patting on the head. "Must we ask his people to be patient while one of our criminals learns his dues?"

Toby tilted his head a little. "King Sombra is good king. Sometimes gets angry, Tsuki help, remind him to be good."

Celestia perked an ear at Toby. "And you are in charge, under him?"

He nodded quickly. "Toby is leader of Tsuki Usagi. Old one said so, others listen." Toby slapped his armored chest. "Toby take job serious. Toby is also glad to see Sun Flank again." He reached and pulled Celestia closer as she let out a little sigh.

"It is good to see you as well," she said gently as she was squeezed. "Next time, please do not take my sister without consulting me. Sister, is this truly wise?"

Luna gestured at Toby. "He may seem simple, but he is dedicated to his task. He... even wishes to leave me."

"No!" Toby released Celestia just to step closer to Luna. "No. Toby never wishes that. Never in a thousand moons, but... Toby must." His ears gave a little twitch as he settled on his haunches. "You will visit Toby, yes? Other Tsuki like you too. You are best princess."

Celestia suddenly began to grin. "You must, 'Best Princess'. It wouldn't do for you to make your #1 fans sad at your absence."

Luna stuck out her tongue at her sister. "As if you lack for ponies eager to prostrate themselves at your hooves." Her eyes returned to Toby. "You are staying here for now, with me, until he arrives."

Celestia stiffened. "You invited him here?!"

"How could I not?" Luna rose to her full height. "He is the sovereign of his nation, a nation, I must add, that wishes to enter peaceful relationship with Equestria. Will we spurn him and his people." She thrust a hoof at Toby. "Will you tell a nation of him that they are unwelcome?"

Celestia shook her head slowly. "What has been done... is done. I have faith in you, sister. If you think he has turned a new leaf, then I will wait to see the writing on the other side of that page. It would be unfortunate to have to act against any people for the actions of their leader, but the safety and well-being of my little ponies comes first."

Toby tried to scratch an itch on his cheek, but his helmet was in the way and his claws kept striking the metal with a loud tinking noise every time he tried, and he was persistent.

After the fifth tolling of that bell, Luna's horn began to glow and lifted the helmet free, allowing him to relieve the itch with an ecstatic sigh of bliss. "Best Princess..."

Celestia gave a wry smile at the antics. "If Sombra has accepted Toby here as his second, there is perhaps hope for him yet. Toby, as an ambassador of your people, you are welcome within these walls so long as you walk with peace."

"Toby walks with bounces," he noted with a concerned tone. "Is that alright? Toby can try to walk with peace. He never tried that before."

Celestia rest a hoof on his armored chest. "You'll be just fine. Relax and be comfortable while we wait for your king to arrive."

Luna's smile was brilliant. "Does this mean you will see him then, and promise no reprisals?"

Celestia cocked a brow at her sister. "If his heart has been turned, I will not seek redress for ancient wrongs, but he should be aware ponies from his old empire will likely feel differently. Still, this is not that place. Let him come and talk, if he will do so civilly."

Luna clopped her forehooves joyfully. "Then he will arrive in a day or two. I'll send the signal with the coming of the night."

"Why not now?" asked Celestia with a curious tone.

Toby raised a paw high.

Luna pointed at him. "Yes, Toby?"

"I know the answer." He bobbed his head. "Signal is bright, not that bright. Not see good in day. Wait for night, dark, better see signal."

Celestia tapped her chin lightly. "I've been outsmarted by Tsuki. I'm uncertain how to feel about that. Very well, send your signal after I've put the sun to rest. Until then, Toby, do you remember your way around?" He bobbed his head. "Good, relax. You are our guest."

"Not pet?"

Luna frowned at that. "No longer. You were my pet when I thought you nothing more than an animal. You are no animal. You are a person, as rightly so as any pony and deserving of the same rights, which includes not being owned by any."

"Toby is pony?"

Luna applied a hoof to her forehead. "Toby is... Toby. And being Toby means you are more than a pet or animal. You are a person."

"Toby not understand, but Toby thinks he likes the idea." He began to shake thunderously with the sound of rattling metal as he squirmed free of his armor and was soon as naked as he was when first presented to the sisters. "Better. Toby explore."

He bound past Luna and landed before the door. He had it open quickly and hopped through it, always leaping just high enough to brush the ceiling before he came down. He was lost to sight almost instantly.

Celestia shook her head lightly. "He has changed as well. He has grown, though he is young yet. Small steps, yet so incredibly large, from his view. What have you done, sister?"

Luna returned the question with a gentle smile. "I've made something worth protecting, I feel."

Author's Note:

Sombra's coming! Yay?

Have your own story written on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!