• Published 27th Feb 2017
  • 1,128 Views, 2 Comments

Interview with a Heartbroken Princess - twilightsparkle3562



Manehattan news reporter Hot Scoop interviews Twilight Sparkle about the loss of her library at the hands of Lord Tirek...

  • ...
2
 2
 1,128

"Once Again, Call Me Hot Scoop"

Once again, call me Hot Scoop, one of Equestria's up and coming journalists, a resident of Manehattan. In my brief time as a journalist, I had reported on all the trials and tribulations that Equestria has been through in its long and storied existence. Now, why am I telling you this all again, you might say?

Well, in case you had forgotten, when we last talked, I was assigned the task of interviewing Lord Tirek, the centaur who was captured, escaped and re-captured for attempting to steal all the magic in Equestria for himself. Being the considerate colt that I was, I had attempted to get him to understand the error of his ways. But, of course, he wasn't going to listen and I had just completed an article that details that he had no regrets for his actions.

Now, here I was, standing in front of the mirror of my bedroom haven just gotten my next assignment and something that I had been meaning to do.

"Looks like Princess Twilight and I will have that interview at last," I thought to myself. "I don't know how it is going to go, but at least she wants to talk things out, along with the rest of the princesses."

But, I had to remember that the interview was not going to happen for several more days at best. The princesses wanted to wait for five days before speaking to me. Perhaps they wanted to wait to get themselves ready and I needed to get myself ready at the same time.

"Morning, Hot Scoop," said my boss as I walked into the office the next morning. "You seem to have hit it out of the ballpark with your story on Lord Tirek. Many ponies have come forward to say what a job you did on it."

"Glad to hear it," I replied, walking into my office and sitting down at my desk, setting up my typewriter. "Now its just a matter of getting that interview with the princesses to get their view on things. I can only imagine that it won't be easy to open up on being thrown in an evil place like Tartarus or losing a library tree all caused by the same creature."

"What is important is that you prepare yourself for it, Hot Scoop," advised my boss. "If there is one thing I learned as a journalist is that you must prepare yourself for anything."

I could well remember how much I had to learn just that in my days at Canterlot University's journalism program. Being prepared for anything is of great importance and value to anypony who wanted to be in the journalism field.

"Tell me something, Hot Scoop," my boss asked. "Is there any, just any assignment that you were unprepared for?"

It took me a minute to think of how to respond to such a question, but I eventually found a way to answer the question.

"Well, now that you mention it, sir," I answered, while chuckling slightly. "There was a time when I was unprepared for an interview with Fancy Pants after he divorced his third wife. Sweet Celestia, does a pony such as him know when to settle down. At least Flur De Leis seems like a good mare to settle down with. Ah, celebrities. They can be so unpredictable at times."

Both my boss and me shared a chuckle with this. As unpredictable as the field can get, journalism can produce some humor. Funny for us, but not for the subjects we are interviewing. However, the humor did not last.

"But, the princesses are not like any other celebrities, Hot Scoop," remarked my boss. "They are our sovereigns, our protectors, our mentors that we have to look up to. When you are interviewing them, Hot, remember that they are just like you and me."

"I shall remember sir," I replied. "And I know that you preach to us that we should not be like those other reporters who are insensitive to get a story. We may look a bit shabby, but we've got hearts."

"And feelings too," finished my boss as he walked over to the door of my office. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to interview a potential new recruit for our team."

I nodded in reply as my boss walked out of my office and shut the door. He was right, I had to remember that I should not be insensitive which was the downfall of so many reporters and journalists.

One thing that I like about working at this newspaper was that we were reporters that had to play by the rules. And yet, there was that one time it seemed like I being insensitive when in reality, I really wasn't. That was when I was turned away by Applejack when I tried to get an interview with Twilight.

After another day of hard work, I returned home and once again, I welcomed my next door neighbor and close friend, Coloratura into my apartment.

"I know that we are friends and such, Rara," I said as we once again sat down on the sofa. "But, do you think that I am an insensitive reporter?"

"Why do you ask that?" wondered Coloratura.

"Because my boss and I were having a talk today about that interview with the princesses," I answered, taking a sip of water. "We were discussing how we reporters need to not be so insensitive to the ponies we are interviewing. I mean, you're a former pop star, Rara. Have you ever dealt with insensitive reporters?"

"Hundreds of times, Hot," she replied, a hint of remorse in her body language. "There have been moments where I looked into the newspapers and read articles about me that were anything but far from the truth. To be honest, Hot, I regretted greatly ever becoming a pop star in the first place."

"That was because of Svengallop, wasn't it?" I remarked, hitting it right on the nose. "That good for nothing bonehead of a pony that used you to get the perks with becoming a star."

For a moment, I saw Rara turn away and cross her eyes in anger and frustration. I could tell that she greatly regretted in every sense of the word that she even met Svengallop. It was in this city, after all, that Coloratura was turned into a pop star only for the benefit of a pony that wasn't even a pop star, but a greedy manager.

"Sorry," I corrected myself, stuttering for a brief moment as I was being insensitive. "I didn't mean to…"

"No, you were right to say that, Hot," said Coloratura, turning back to me. "Svengallop was the insensitive one, not you. You know, I'm glad we are friends and neighbors, Hot. We can share our feelings and such in this manner."

"You're right," I said, warmly. "You are absolutely right."

Once again, Coloratura and I continued long into the night and soon, the days leading up to the interview with the princesses at the Castle of Friendship were drawing nearer and nearer…