• Published 24th Feb 2017
  • 176 Views, 1 Comments

Starry Starry Night - Satellicious



The Story of a young colt from his birth to the memorable event of him gaining his cutiemark

  • ...
 1
 176

Lunar Eclipse

Author's Note:

This is my first ever story on this website, or indeed on any
if you enjoy this, or have any criticisms, please comment, I'll be glad to hear them


"Do you think we'll be good parents?" Asked Night Moon, a Dark-blue-coated mare with a flowing man of dark purples. She was laying on her side, a picnic cloth separating her from the grass of the cool night. She'd dare not lay on her belly, as that space was currently occupied

Crescent Moon smiled at her. His body too shared cool colours, a light turquoise coat with a straight, short, dark blue mane "As long as he spends more time with you than he does with me."

The mare chuckled, gently stroking the stretched skin of her belly "Don't be so silly, Crescent. I fell in love with you, didn't I?."

"You did, I'm surprised to say. Didn't think I'd be able to marry someone prettier than Celestia herself."

"Oh, quit with the flirting; we're already married, aren't we?"

"Again, i check my consciousness whenever I remember that," He wittily responded, which pushed another giggle out of the mare. Crescent's horn glowed a light green as he opened the picnic basket, taking out two plates with small apple pies on both. The two were outside in the late moments of twilight, sitting together on their favourite patch of land; a small hill from which one could see Ponyville and the Everfree forest, plus Canterlot in the distance "Speaking of the little chap, how's he doing?"

"Not paying his rent," Night said, which almost sent two floating glasses of apple juice to the ground. She suddenly gasped, and with a smile squealed "Oh! He's kicking!" Crescent quickly set the rest of the cutlery down before laying down beside her, pressing his pointed ear to his wife's stomach

"Ohoh, this one's gonna love walking." He chuckled, lightly tapping her stomach. He got a response soon after "And telecommunication apparently"

"Hehe~" Her face grew more serious "Crescent...We're not exactly average. you know what bullies are like, they'll latch onto little facts. Parents who enjoy the company of the night more than the day"

"Hm...I've been thinking about that" Crescent began. Night raised an eyebrow "I'm from a family of explorers. My parents named me after the very tool which once saved their lives, the moon, using the direction of the crescent to find North. What say me, you and this little colt keep up the tradition"

"You mean..."

"Canterlot, Appleloosa, Los Pegasus, show this little guy the whole of Equestria"

"Hm...What about school?"

"I learned a lot more than just how a compass works back at canterlot Academy, we could both school him"

Night looked unconvinced "Winter...Ah, I want to explore with you, but just because we haven't been moving much since I got burdened with this little menace doesn't mean we should go straight into it. plus, I want him to go to Canterlot Academy as well"

"That's the other thing! We teach him as we explore round the world, and then when he's old enough we can settle in Canterlot. A great family adventure, before the academy."

"Why not after?"

"Well...yeah, I need to go exploring, and that long will probably drive me insane," He smiled nervously, hoping his little confession wouldn't ruin his plan. Night simply giggled "I'll think about it. We're not going anywhere soon."

"I know dear." He gave her a warm hug "So...when is this thing supposed to happen?"

She chuckled, shaking her head "This "Thing" is a Lunar Eclipse. The sun and moon are going to be completely opposite each other, and the moon will be shadowed by the great body of Terra."

"Huh...so, will it suddenly become daytime?"

"What?"

"y'know, like, with a Solar eclipse day becomes night, so will this be the opposite-"

"You know that won't happen."

"Hey, you're the astronomer."

"I'm a Stargazer as barely a hobby. This is just something a that's quite the phenomenon to behold."

"Sounds good to me." He said, letting his wife rest her head on his neck. They both watched the silver moon sit still in the sky. Night suddenly gasped, which made Crescent jolt "What is it?"

"N-nothing...Little guy must've kicked me...Ooof"

"Um...want some pie?"

The mare giggled "Now I understand why you didn't become a doctor."

"No, that's because I can't stand the sight of blood. And pies cure everything"

"And you'd belong well in the Apple family...Ooh, here we go"

A shadow had started to creep from the left edge of the moon. After a few minutes, which Cresent pointed out as being longer than necessary, which earned him a gently hood to the face, the moon had been completely shadowed, and was bathed in an orange-red light. Crescent whistled in awe "Wow...OK, that was worth it"

Night blinked "Crescent..."

"Why is it red though-"

"Crescent"

"Hm,maybe the light is bouncing around the atmosphere and-"

"Crescent!"

"Yes my dear?"

Night didn't reply with anything more than heavy breathing. her eyes were wide, pupils small "T-the baby!"

"What about it?" Crescent seemed remarkably underwhelmed

"I-it's coming!"

"Oh" A moment passed, then Crescent's calm composure shattered "Oh, OH! Night! Er, right, er...Keep breathing, keep-"

"SWEET CELESTIA THIS HURTS!"

"I can imagine, er...Dammit, the pie will go cold-"

"PRIORITIES, DEAR!"

"Right! Er...Hold on, I can just about..." He squinted as his horn glowed brightly. Sparks leaked out as a huge burst of energy rocketed into the sky. It exploded in the air like a firework, large red and blue flashing traces erupting out and almost floating in the air "Don't worry dear, the ambulance is on its way. Just keep breathing, I'm here. I'm here."


"Zzzz-Ch-I'M HERE! I'M-"

"Er, mister Moon, I know" The slightly unamused mare said, wearing a nurse's hat. She had gently nudged Crescent into awareness of his surroundings, which was one of the many halls of Ponyville hospital "Your wife is ready to see you"

"Oh...Oh! She's...I'm..."

"You're a father, mister Moon. Congratulations"

"I was going to say tired but that works fine"

The nurse retained her bemused expression, but put on a smile whilst leading him into the ward. Night was in one of the beds, her hair a little frazzled, her eyes looking heavy, and a small package in her arms which was writhing a little. The doctor stepped aside. Crescent was dumb-struck by the situation as he slowly walked up beside the bed

Night smiled as she lightly pulled the towel open a little more. There, squirming in a neat huddle, was a small baby pony. It's Coat was a dark purple which was amazingly pleasant on the eyes. It's man was frizzier that it's father's, a combination of their mother's purple and their father's Turquoise. The doctor chose now to speak. "It's a Colt, Mr Moon, a very healthy one at that. His quietness stirred a little worry, but he seems perfectly fine"

"Fine?" Questioned Crescent "More perfect and beautiful than all the stars in the sky is much better a description"

Night let out a soft chuckled, tiredness taking hold. The Doctor smiled "We get that a lot. Have you decided a name?"

"I believe we agreed on your grand-mother's name"

Night sighed "He's a boy, Crescent."

"Right, yeah..." he looked out the window for a second, trying to find inspiration. The night only allowed the moon to be viewed, which had long since passed its ecliptic phase "How about Lunar Eclipse"

"Hm...I want him to keep part of our name. Something Moon"

"Hm...Full, New, Half, Satellite, Orbiting, er..."

"That one"

"Er? Er isn't a name, dear"

"No, Satellite, you dork"

"Satellite. Satellite Moon" The stallion smiled "I love it already"

The two nuzzled against each other. Satellite evidently wanted a part of the action, and so stuck out his little hooves managed to brush his father's chin, which made both his parents and the doctor chuckle. Even the nurse let herself smile