• ...
 2
 539

Help Arrives

By the time help arrived, 90% of the world's population were either infected or dead. The most ponies any city had that weren't either of those was Ponyville with the slim number of six. I was desperately rummaging through the papers on my desk that morning, searching for what to do when Celestia came in with a transmission.

"If it's not hopeful news, don't tell me." I said.

"Well," She said. "You've been fighting this disease for 8 weeks now with no help so, I guess Starfleet decided to help you."

"Why do you say that?!?! STARFLEET DOESN'T CARE! If they did, they would have already sent help by now!"

Celestia put her hoof on my shoulder and said,

"Leonard, calm down. The Starfleet does still care. The starships you hope for are in orbit now. Those starships are both the Shackleton and the Enterprise."

"Good. Send them a transmission. Tell them to beam down the cure."

So, along with the small vile of the cure, the Shackleton's Captain Kevin Reynolds beamed down along with Kirk and Spock. After the beaming process was done, I went over and hugged my two crew mates.

"I'm so glad you guys are safe. Where's Lauren?" I asked them.

"She's up on the ship. She's so. . . ready to see the planet she created 230 years ago." Kirk replied.

I stopped hugging them and walked over to Kevin,

"Kevin, it's very nice to meet the son of Admiral Tony Reynolds." I stuck out my hand for him to shake.

He shook it and said,

"I don't know how well the replicators will be able to make more of the cure. The replicators are still a relativity new concept."

"Well, let's try it anyway."

So, we went to the Shackleton, entered the replicator room, stuck the vile in the copier...

and waited...

and waited...

So, finally, it came out with a cure for, not the flu, but for mumps and measles.


So, I had an idea. Take a dead body and get the dead flu virus cells out of it.

So, after beaming back down to Canterlot in the middle of the night, we went to Canterlot Cemetery, dug up an infected body, beamed it back up to the Shackleton, and began work to extract the dead flu virus. We rushed the dead horse to Med Bay 4 on the Shackleton's deck of the same number. We put the colt on the operating table and prepared him for surgery to get the magical gland near the kidneys.

"Rhomulus! Get over here! Doctor McCoy needs your help!" Kevin Reynolds said.

"Aye-aye, Captain." Rhomulus responds.

As Rhomulus pulls down the lamp to give me more light, I tell him,

"I would have never thought I would have a Russian help me in the med bay."

"You know, this is my med bay, right?" He says.

"I know. Hand me the scalpel."

So, we cut this colt open, pushed the kidneys out of the way and find the magic gland still glowing with a soft blue light, showing it was diseased. I cut it out, put it in a bowl, put the bowl in the sink and took off my gloves.

"Well, there she is. The magic gland that contains our supply of dead Influenza viruses." I say as I wipe my hands off with a rag. Kevin sequentially gagged, and then vomited in a trashcan near the door.

"Are you okay?" Kirk said.

"I've just never seen so much blood before." Kevin replied.

"That is why you will never make it as a doctor."

"That is why I applied for the helmsman post when I got out of the academy."

I take the magic gland out of the sink and walk over to Rhomulus.

"Take it out." I said to him.

"What do you mean?" He said.

"Extract the dead viruses out of it."

"Okay, doctor."

He went and extracted the dead viruses, scanned a ball found inside, and said,

"Here's your cure."