• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 4,454 Views, 131 Comments

The First Battle of Equestria - Spyderslicer



The question answered, 'why does Celestia hate humans?' one word; invasion.

  • ...
13
 131
 4,454

Chapter 7. Battle for Detrot: day 2 of X

Apolgies my ponies for not having this chapter out yesterday. I am what is known as a lazy sod, I woke up really late due to a late night of working on sunday. When I finally got my ugly ass up, all I really felt like doing was having a bite to eat and playing some Skyrim. I also apologize this isn’t as long as the previous chapter. Again I'm going off and rambling, without further garbage being spewed, continue on reading!

Celestia’s sun was just rising over Detrot. The battle had raged on through the night. Unicorns had fired off blasts of light throughout the night; it helped them considerably to see in the dark. Blue Blade had stayed awake all night watching the streets. They had been attacked several times, losing a half dozen ponies, including Seraphine, the medical mare; she was working to try and save one of the other ponies who had survived a round to the eye. She had him stabilized and was just starting to shout of her success when a small explosion sounded throughout the building.

Running into the room to find there was no longer a pony named Seraphine, just splatters of blood and chunks of flesh and bone. After that they left the apartment structure. They risked traveling at night, but it paid off, they managed to find a friendly position after traveling through back alleys for nearly a block. Taking up residence a couple buildings near them, they dug in. Earth ponies dragged sandbags in with their teeth, unicorns magically moved them.

The lines were still blurry. Blue had sent Spark to scout around. There were some places where the enemy was holding structures. Others were held by ponies. One block there was three buildings; one was held by the humans next to them was an empty structure, the last building was held by ponies. They didn’t appear to be aware of each other. Blue Blade was informed of this and he just shook his head.

If they didn’t stop these monsters they would lose the city. Buildings would need to be reinforced and they would need to open communication with other groups of ponies. Blue Blade was sending out runners. He had just sent out Butterscotch to go to a group of ponies three blocks away. As Butterscotch got half way across the street a burst of shots rang out. One of Butterscotch’s forelegs exploded, then the side of head and chunks of his flank. He was riddled with hoof sized holes before he hit the pavement.

“Oh buck!” Blue shouted.

“What in Celestia’s teats was that?” An earth pony said shocked.

“Everypony follow me!” Blue Blade called galloping up the stairs.

He got to the fourth floor and leaned out the window. One of the metal behemoths was rumbling along heading towards the T junction. A couple hundred feet ahead of the smoking metal construct was an apartment complex with a convenience store as the ground floor. There were around four dozen ponies inside. At least a dozen of them had been moved to the top floor because they were heavily wounded. Behind the metal beast was a large amount of humans.

The ponies in the apartment building had seen the behemoth. Already they were getting ready for it. This behemoth looked a bit different than the one that attacked their trench line. It didn’t have a big round gun like the other one; it had two longer thinner guns. The thing was bristling with other weapons. When it was a hundred feet away the ponies opened fire. Hundreds of autogun rounds filled the air. They pattered harmlessly across the metal goliath. Then it fired back.

Unlike the pony’s small caliber rounds, the tank fired massive ones. Ponies unlucky enough to get hit didn’t usually survive. Blue Blade couldn’t believe it, what had just moments ago had been four dozen was now down to probably two dozen. Its main guns fired quickly, not as fast as an autogun, but with whatever it was firing, it didn’t need the speed, it made up for it with accuracy and firepower. It was up to Blue to stop this beast.

“Ponies, half of you get to the first floor and stay hidden, as soon as you see the humans, open fire. The other half of you stay with me,” Blue said quickly making sure his weapons were loaded.

Looking down the street he could see the ponies still trying to keep the metal beast at bay. He could see the wounded being shuffled down the stairs. They were sacrificing themselves so the wounded could be moved to safety. Not if Blue Blade had any say in the matter. The rumbling beast was slowing down again. It fired another long burst. A ponies head burst and its slumped to the ground. The pony next to it shouted and fired everything it had; the bullets simple pattered harmlessly across the front. Its rocket hit the front causing small dents from the explosions. Blue Blade just hoped it wasn’t as strong up top.

As it started up again it reached below Blue Blade. He leaned out his ponies following his lead. They then rained down bullets and rockets. The bullets again just ricocheted across the metal. The rockets seemed to do a bit more, but still nothing. Then one lucky earth pony hit a small metal grate towards the rear. His rocket pierced the mesh and exploded inside. What looked harmless at first changed quickly as fire begun to billow out. A small explosion sent the grate flying five feet into the air. A hatch opened at the top and several humans drenched in flames climbed out were screaming. That same earth pony had just begun to fire his autogun when a small red light blew through his head splattering red and grey matter on the ceiling.

The earth pony slumped and fell out the window. Blue Blade barely got himself back in, in time. Two others weren’t as lucky, one wasn’t quick enough and the other got stuck, his empty rocket projector preventing him from getting to safety.

Blue Blade heard autogun fire from downstairs. He gathered the three survivors and headed back down. He arrived at the top of the stairs just to watch a pony backing up get shot to death. It slumped down as several red beams of light struck it.

Blue turned to Tall Spark.

“We’re in trouble,” Blue Blade said as he moved to the side.

He could hear several feet thumping up the stairs. He took a deep breath and heated up his autogun. Quickly leaning left he fired a long burst down the stairs. The first human filled with rounds fell backwards. The second and third were also caught in the hail of small projectiles. The last couple of humans would have been killed if they hadn’t have been protected by the bodies of their comrades. The bodies of their comrades fell onto them; the bodies became tangled mess quickly beginning decent the stairs.

“Quickly out the back, we’ll hop down and escape down the alley.”

The other four nodded. Poking his head out and quickly looking left and right before hopping down onto ground. It hurt his legs but nothing twisted. The other two were find too, Spark wasn’t as lucky. His foreleg twisted on landing and he shouted. Blue Blade worriedly took a closer look. His friend just twisted his leg a bit; probably a simple sprain.

“You are one unlucky unicorn Spark,” Blue Blade said shaking his head.

“I’m still alive aren’t I?” Spark replied grinning.

“Enough small talk you two, we need to leave!” One very distraught earth pony said.

Blue just nodded before helping Spark along.

“What about our runners?” The other earth pony said

“We can’t help them now,” the first earth pony replied sorrowfully, “all we can do is find more ponies and keep fighting.”

“We should go link up with the survivors from the convenience store. I saw the survivors shuffle out the back with the wounded. We can help them and link up with some more ponies elsewhere,” Blue Blade said confidently.

The other ponies nodded.

“We’ll have to move quickly to meet them. And we’ll have to cross the street,” Blue said taking a right in the alleyway heading towards the street.

“Ok sir, what’s the plan?”

“We throw up a long shield and move as one. Spark you throw up one on the left, I’ll take the right.”

Spark just nodded and threw up a shield. Blue tossed up another one and the moved quickly. The four began weaving through the alleys looking for the wounded ponies.





Captain 26 cocked his bolt pistol. He and his platoons were being tasked with clearing out several hundred ponies that had taking residence in an apartment block. He was given a Leman Russ Exterminator, one of four; an hour ago it had been five, Exterminator tanks from the 103rd. Its commander leaned against its left sponson.

They would be the second company to be tasked with cleaning out the complex. The other company had attempted an assault in the early morning. Needless to say they failed.

His objective was to take the buildings and hold them. His surviving men would then be mixed into another company. He had seen the expected casualties, but he would succeed. For the Emperor was watching!

“Ok platoons one to eight, you are to disperse around the objective. Heavy weapons teams are to provide covering fire from surrounding structures. Platoons nine and ten are in reserve,” 26 said as he turned to the tank commander,

“Commander 51, you will receive the signal to move. Kill any xeno in your sights.”

The commander nodded.

“First platoon, on me. All platoons vox in when you are in position,” 26 said heading towards sector 59-19.

The platoons weaved through the back streets. The apartment complex at one point had probably been prime real-estate. It was four large buildings surrounded by a large park. The park was dotted with trees and shrubs along with four fountains, one in each corner. Of course most of this was torn apart. Where once stood tall oak trees were now just splintered stumps. What was once green grass and healthy shrubs now just shell holes with tufts of brown.

Three of the four fountains were just small bits of rubble. The last one was missing most of its statue and the walls that held the water were just jagged chunks of stone now.

With platoons in position, weapons teams set up, prayers on their lips, they charged. The vox signal went out. Seven hundred men charged across the street and into the park. 26 had his saber held high, light from the sun reflected off it. His grenadiers; a flag bearer was to his right, his vox caster to his rear and both his heavy flamer team was to his left. Following behind them were sixty guardsmen. Even farther back were three autocannon teams.

“Open fire,” 26 said into his vox beads.

A hail of lasbolts began pelting the buildings; followed by grenades fired from the Lucius pattern launchers. Then came the heavy bolter, autocannon and heavy stubber fire. Even from this distance he could see bits of the building exploding. Then the equines returned fire.

He and his grenadiers were fine. The grenadier squad attached to 21’s company was fine too; with the protection of their plates of plasteel and ceramite draped over their torsos, shoulders and thighs along with their reinforced masks. With their armor they could walk safely through weapons that would rip through the flak armor the regular guardsmen wore.

He watched as several men fell, but they would keep going forward, until they, or their enemy, lay dead. Several men had hunkered down behind a centaur that had its left track blown out. His autocannons had slowed and stopped firing. Those troopers better reload quickly.

21 began firing short bursts from his bolt pistol. He was pretty sure he saw an equines skull explode from one of the small missiles. Then things went to hell. He watched as his standard bearers chest exploded outwards. A massive round had punched clean through him, even the ceramite layer of his armor did nothing to stop the fist sized round tearing through his chest. 21 kept sprinting, a prayer on his lips.

Mighty Emperor,

Spread Your divine light to protect me from the darkness.

Blue Blade was leading the group of two dozen ponies throughout the back alleys. They had been wandering around for close to an hour. They could’ve tried the streets. But he was afraid they would run into another metal monster. He ordered everypony to stop. He heard something, something big was firing. Gathering most of the able bodied ponies he followed the source of the noise. Entering through the first floor he couldn’t tell what the floor had once been. Everything was covered in dust and rubble. Looking out the front he saw a mass of humans charging towards a large apartment complex. He could see ponies in the windows firing back.

If they didn’t get some help they might not make it. He could hear something firing upstairs. Carefully stepping up the stairs, he saw three large weapons being used by six humans. His ponies following him through the door, they heated their autoguns and raked the line of men. Blood splattered across the guns and floor, the humans turned to rag dolls. Using magic Blue pulled the humans off their guns; dragged the corpses along the ground leaving a trail of blood and finally dropping the carcass in the corner. Positioning himself Blue oversaw the battlefield. He would do as much damage as he could to help his fellow ponies.

One of the earth ponies did his best to use the gun. The gun shook, but he could use it. Blue and Spark used their magic to control the weapons. Tilting them down towards the charging humans they opened fire. The earth ponies shot went wild; while Blue’s and Spark’s shots were quick and calculated. Then they saw it, another metal behemoth was rumbling into the park.

“Everypony, focus fire on that tin can!” Blue Blade shouted over the din over the large weapons fire.

Most of the rounds bounced off the outer shell. Tall Spark noticed a bit on the left that was spewing fire and that tearing up the bottom floor of one of the apartment buildings. Taking careful aim Spark began firing a constant stream of shells at the side of the metal construct. A single round managed to punch through the slightly weaker sides of the metal giant. The side stopped firing, then the massive metal beast turned to face them.

“OH BUCK, GET DOWN!” Spark shouted tackling the two other ponies to the ground.

Just then a hail of massive rounds assaulted the windows. The walls inside exploded in a shower of dry wall and wood. The outside wall exploded inward raining brickwork and bits of wood onto the ponies.

The rounds stopped and Blue Blade popped his head up, the metal construct was still facing them.

“I’ll keep firing,” the earth pony said hopping back onto his hoofs.

“No stay down!” Blue shouted.

The earth pony ignored him and kept firing at the metallic monstrosity. The rounds just pelted harmlessly across the front.

“What’s that,” the earth pony said looking to the sky, just as a round tore through his throat.

Peering over there was a brown blur coming down from the sky. A bird? A griffin? No it was pony, a Pegasus, and it had a bomb!

Blue Blade watched in awe as the brown blur released its payload fifteen feet above the metal leviathan, before it quickly veered up and shot back into the clouds. The bomb smashed into the top of the beast and exploded. The top of the beast disappeared in a fiery blast. Black smoke began pouring from the flames, they saw one human escape the fires, only to get cut down by ponies in the apartments.

An earth pony who had watched his friend perish stepped up to the gun. He bellowed a massive war cry before firing more rounds at the still advancing humans. One round hit the back of a human, a massive explosion followed, fire pillared into the sky and poured down on over a dozen humans. Tall Spark and Blue Blade stood back up and followed suit, both bellowing their own war cries as they fired the captured weapons.




21’s vox caster had snatched the flag before it could hit the ground. They were under attack from behind. But turning back would be suicide, they would keep pushing forward. Right on time their tank showed itself. The massive Exterminator began pouring out fist sized rounds at the equine xenos.

The autocannons began firing at the tank. At first harmlessly pelting against the sides, they got a lucky shot. He saw a hole punched in the side of one of the sponsons. The tank’s left sponson stopped firing; the gunner was obviously dead or dying. The tank turned and began returning fire, the ponies were probably killed, he couldn’t see to be sure, but the tank stopped firing. As he continued charging he could hear an autocannon fire again. The rounds hit harmlessly across the tanks outer hull. He saw something flying down from the clouds. Was it a large bird? A fighter? No, It was a bomb wielding equine! 21 began firing up at it, but it was moving too fast to hit.

It dropped its ordnance and flew back into the clouds. The large explosive slightly pierced the top hatch and exploded. The concussion killed the commander and loader instantly. Flames quickly engulfed the inside. The only crew member to escape was the right sponson gunner. His escape short lived as he was peppered with rounds as he ran from his wrecked vehicle.

21 kept running, he heard the autocannon fire start up behind him again. He ran another fifteen feet before a massive explosion threw him to the ground. Struggling to get back up, looking he found his left sleeve on fire. Looking to his left, his heavy flamer team was dead; a dozen or so guardsmen were rolling on the ground screaming. Someone was calling for him, looking up his vox caster was offering him a hand, as he took it and started to get helped up a chunk of the vox caster’s head disappeared. The man fell to his knees; blood spurted from the gaping wound, he then fell forwards into the dirt.

Bolt pistol holstered 21 took the flag and kept going. He found himself alone, nobody following behind. A small burst of rounds hit his unprotected thigh, using the flag as a crutch he kept going. A massive round punched through his back and out his stomach. Falling to his knees, his life leaving him, all he could do was pray for forgiveness.

Sweet God-Emperor, forgive Your servant his sins,

And remember I am just a man.

With that captain 21 passed into the Emperors embrace. The attack fell apart shortly after his death; confusion reigned quickly and the survivors fled. The hundreds of survivors would end up being formed into a penal legion. Their great coats and gas masks stripped from them. Their heads would be shaved and their unit insignia tattooed onto their heads. Explosive ‘disciplinary’ collars would be clamped on their necks, they would then be sent into areas where the fighting is thickest and the chances of survival are the slimmest.




Blue Blade breathed deeply. He couldn’t believe it, but why were Pegasus still there? Hadn’t they all fled when after they dropped their payloads in the previous week? Questions swirled around his head. They would have to get to the apartment complex. Blue Blade fired a blast of magic into the air outside the building. Just in case they threw up shields and began the trek across the park. Bodies littered the ground and already flies were everywhere, they seemed quite aware of the fresh meal.

Without error they arrived at the apartment structures. What had once been pristine white structure were now covered in holes. Chunks of the structures were just, absent.

“Quickly inside,” a voice said hurriedly.

“What’s the rush?” Spark asked still trotting.

“You never know when more humans could show up,” a new voice said roughly.

Dropping their shields they filed into the building, wounded first.

It took Blue Blade a minute to tell who the pony was without his armor. It was one of sergeants Blue Blade had trained; Heavy Shield.

It had taken Blue Blade years to move up to the rank of captain; he had trained Shield as a recruit, he was a hulking earth pony, Blue was aware of some of the sergeants scars, like the jagged one that ran along his flank from fighting a hydra. But the one that ran across his forehead was new, along with numerous burn marks along his front.

He looked like he had been to Tartarus and back. It seemed like where Blue Blade was always able to barely slide out of the path of danger, Heavy Shield was always diving straight in its way.

“Sergeant,” Blue Blade said nodding to him.

The survivors Blue had with him followed suit.

“You look familiar,” the dark red earth pony said eyeing Blue Blade.

“I trained you when you joined the guard,” Blue Blade reminded him.

“Captain Blue Blade, sir,” he said with a sharp salute.

“Yes. A question sergeant, where did that Pegasus come from?” Blue Blade asked.

“Sir, you as much as anypony should know that the cloud city of Windsoar is located to the west.”

Blue Blade nodded.

“Shortly after we were pushed into the city, I sent a runner to Windsoar, he spent most of yesterday galloping, he barely managed to swim across the river. I had him gather a bunch of stallions. A few of them had been too frightened to drop their bombs over the enemy, about five or six Pegasi fled to Windsoar. We have been using the Pegasi civilians as runners, or fliers I guess. They have the ability to soar into the clouds for safety, diving out above their objectives. We have only lost one or two Pegasi, and those were only due to faulty information. We are quickly building a communication web.”

Blue Blade was glad to hear this. To know that they were getting into contact with everypony was a blessing. It meant they had a chance, a chance to not just flicker out like a candle in the dark.

“You did good sergeant, you did good,” Blue Blade said approvingly.

The younger sergeant beamed at this.

“Sir, do you have a plan?” Spark asked.

“We are going to hold onto the city as long as possible. We have too much riding on us to flee. We are going to coordinate with other groups of ponies. We dig in and make the pay for every inch of Detrot,” Blue Blade said with his usual confidence.

“Sir, we have easily a thousand of ponies with us in constant communication,” Heavy Shield said informatively, “and our Pegasi are getting into contact with more groups every hour.”

“Shield, I need a few of your Pegasi, I have some things I was sent to the Princess in Canterlot,” Blue Blade said switching topics, “on that note, I found some really interesting weapons that those filthy humans left behind. They can be of use to us in fortifying positions.”

This had Shield’s attention; of course he was quickly interested in what had to be said.

Loaded up the Pegasi took off, only the strongest were able to oversee the task. They were heavily laden and had a long way to go, but they were up to the job.





Another day was coming to a close. A priest of the Emperor’s Ecclesiarchy held his Eviscerator with a single hand; which to some would seem quite odd, he was a man of sixty-four and he appeared gaunt, with a long graying beard and his face twisted in a fanatical grin.

“Men of Krieg, I am here to fight alongside you. Men, never forget you are the walls of flesh and bone, between Mankind and a thousand horrors too unspeakable to name. You are the walls of Hell.”

The men of Krieg listened to this, although they are usually blank faced men. The priest’s words stirred fires in their bellies, his words whipping them into a fanatical frenzy. He continued his sermon as the group gathered steam.

What would have been an organized column of men was turning into a religious riot. Bayonets drawn, some mounted on lasguns; others had their lasguns slung, only bayonet in hand. What had started as a mere hundred men, was now reaching three hundred. The priest’s sermon was quickly gathering more support as they marched down the streets of Detrot.

Love the Emperor,

for He is the salvation of mankind.

Obey His words,

for He will lead you into the light of the future.

Heed his wisdom,

for He will protect you from evil.

Whisper his prayers with devotion,

for they will save your soul.

Honour His servants,

for they speak in His voice.

Tremble before His majesty,

for we all walk in His immortal shadow.

Their goal was to take a library, and they were coming up on it quickly. Shouting hymns to the Emperor they charged the structure; it was a large white building with a line of columns surrounding it, in between the pillars were sandbags with ponies taking cover. The building was covered in shell holes, and large chunks of the stairs leading up were nothing but rubble.

As they heard the shouting they raised to see the coming tide. Over five-hundred shouting crazed fanatics were charging towards them. Opening fire upon the guardsmen didn’t slow them in the slightest. Even those taking hits seemed to shrug them off. As they climbed the stairs men began to fall, the priest was still shouting hymns and passages from the many tomes and scrolls at his side. Bullets crackled across the holy field from his Rosarius.

Not a single lasbolt or bolter round had been fired. The ponies struggled to contain them. The horned equines threw up shields where they could. The guardsmen poured in between the unprotected pillars. Stabbing and slashing wildly. The priest climbed over a sandbag wall and began his holy work.

He shouted hymns and scriptures as he hacked away. He severed a pony in half, his massive Eviscerator tore through the weapons at its side along with flesh, muscle and bone with ease. The weapons teeth flung blood everywhere. The priest was practically cackling as he watched the men do His bidding. Stabbing into eyes and neck, the ground was slick with blood.

The battled lasted less than an hour. It would have taken longer and less lives if some lieutenant was heading it. But he like the other guardsmen had been thrown into a fanatical frenzy. He had fallen along with half his command squad during the charge up the stairs.

The priest then led in a cleansing of heresy. The libraries contents were found to show a false God. Some long living xeno who has been ruling for several hundred years, using magic that almost ended her death she banished her treacherous sister; she now spends most of her time on a golden throne overseeing her people. The book burning was massive; tens of thousands of books were burned in a massive bonfire. The fire was massive; creating a pillar of smoke that would be seen throughout the night and the next day.

With the task complete the priest gave a long and lengthy sermon during the book burning. It was a speech that lasted deep into the night. With their spirits aloft, the guardsmen were ready to go back into the fray. Thumbing the glyph on his Eviscerator to start it up, the priest headed off with his fanatical followers to do the Emperors bidding, in the form of spilling more xeno blood.

Another fun chapter to write. As I was writing I was thinking of possibilities of two alternate endings, one of which might allow for a spinoff story. But only time will tell, so don't try to quote me later. I will try to start on the next chapter ASAP.

On a side note, please thumbs up or down this story and leave a comment. If it is a thumbs down, I want to hear what you didn't like. Same with a thumbs up, what have you enjoyed so far?

I hope you all have a good day.

Hunter C. Creed