• Published 25th Feb 2017
  • 2,697 Views, 255 Comments

For science - Book two - Znegil



The continuation of Stella's and Twilight's Story. We will take a look at Cadence's past and have some extra science as a bonus ;-)

  • ...
14
 255
 2,697

5 Sun

We were in good spirits when we arrived in Canterlot. I had decided to take off the gloves because it was to warm wearing them anyway. The wooden color of my prosthesis wasn't so far from my skin tone and Lyra had made it very lifelike, so on a quick glance, most wouldn't even notice it being artificial.

As we walked through the streets a lot fewer ponies stared at me and I recognized some faces from the Grand Galloping Gala.

'Maybe Canterlot isn't a bad place after all.', I thought.

...

After half an hour we arrived at the palace. The guards had expected us and let us pass without any problems.

"This is exciting. I never met Princess Celestia in person, I only saw her from afar at the Gala. She is a pretty good dancer.", Lyra said as we wandered the corridors towards the private meeting room.

"She is very nice and casual.", I told her. "Not what I had expected from a leader of a country when I first met her." I turned towards Twilight. "Do you think Luna will be at the meeting as well?"

"I don't expect it. Normally she is asleep at this time since she is up all next night. Only if something rare happens she would be awake at day, like when you appeared in this world. Why are you asking?"

"I just thought it would be nice to see her again after we had so much fun together. I really slacked on writing her, please remind me to send her a letter tonight."

"Of course, I have eight different stationery you can choose from."

"Of course you have.", I said smiling and kissed her.

After a few more minutes we arrived at the room we were told to meet with Celestia. I knocked and after the answer of her melodic voice, we entered the room.

"Hello Princess Celestia, it's a pleasure meeting you.", my marefriend started.

"Hi Celestia, good to see you again.", I said much less formal because I knew she liked it better this way.

"..." I saw Lyra was just frozen in place. I hadn't expected her to react this way.

"So nice to meet you again.", Celestia answered. "And you brought a guest this time, who... what happened to your hand?" Her look was quite confused.

"It's a prosthesis my lab assistant Lyra Heartstrings created for me." I used my good hand to hit her side.

"Nice to meet you.", Lyra was finally able to say.

"Likewise. May I see how it works?"

I stepped close to her and lifted the sleeve of my shirt to make the connection visible.

"It's quite easy for me to attach it or to take it off." I pulled a little lever and half of the padded wooden ring connecting it to my arm folded to the side. I slipped my arm out of it and detached the elastic bands from the back of my elbow.

Celestia used her magic to bring the wooden hand close to her eyes. She looked at it marveling about all the little details. "I must say, I'm quite impressed. This is astonishing for such a short time."

"I... I must admit I work on these projects for years now, the descriptions of humans by Indigo had quite an impact on me."

"Nonetheless, this is an amazing achievement. I'm happy to see Stella getting some of her possibilities back."

"Thank you so much, princess.", Lyra bowed before her.

"Well, this is just one of the things we wanted to talk about.", I addressed Celestia while I attached my prosthesis again. "We also been successful separating water into its elements, but instead of two gases, we found three. One of them has amazing properties." I took out the two samples and let them levitate right before her eyes.

It took her a few moments to notice there wasn't any magical aura around them making them float, when she did her eyes widened. "How is this possible? Never in my life I have seen something levitate without magic."

"Well, it could be magic. I dipped them into the gas we discovered when I separated water with electricity. It's purple, slightly lighter than air and I named it 'Twilonium'." I noticed the slight smile on Celestia's lips. "My thesis so far is as follows: 'Twilonium' is magic itself. You all have some kind of magic, even the earthponies. Your bodies contain a large amount of water and after you use magic you can restore your energy by drinking something containing water. Eating would be the same since all fruits and vegetables contain large amounts of water too."

The princess thought about my words for a moment. "It's a nice theory but not much more so far. We know our bodies can restore magic when we eat or drink. So far our understanding had been: The nutrition gives our bodies the energy they need to produce magic. Your idea is a plausible explanation too and definitely worth thinking about." She focused on the levitating samples again. "How long are these floating so far?"

"Nearly a day. I have no idea how long it's going to last but we will observe them until they stop levitating. The gas has another property as well. When we brought a tiny bit of it in contact with fire our lab exploded." I saw the horror on her face. "We started the experiment from the next room and I had special safety features built into the structure of my lab, if we hadn't done it this way... we could be dead right now."

Once again Celestia thought about all we had said for a few moments. "So... the gas you covered these samples with is highly explosive. Have you checked what happens if they get close to a flame?"

My stomach formed to a knot and all color drained from my face. "No...", I admitted.

Instantly a forcefield formed around the two samples, produced by her magic. "Let's go outside in the garden together."

We followed her through a door to the outside, the private garden of the princesses.

"No matter how this turns out, you should always think about every possible danger.", Celestia addressed me while we were walking, surrounded by beautiful flowers.

"Yes, I know. I'm really ashamed for forgetting this possibility. I will be extra careful from now on.", I answered looking to the ground.

"I'm sure you will. If you're working with dangerous substances you should think twice about every move."

Both samples floated upwards until they had reached about thirty feet, they were hard to see. The forcefield disappeared and a small flame surrounded them for a few seconds.

Nothing happened.

The samples floated back down to me, still intact, the wooden sample emitted a tiny bit of smoke. Once she removed her magic they kept on levitating.

"Seems like we have worried about nothing, but better safe than sorry.", she declared. "I'm looking forward to hearing how long they lasted."

Once it stopped smoking I put them in my bag again.

She spoke up again. "And please make sure all information about your research stays between the four of us and Luna."

I just nodded in reply. We kept on walking through the beautiful garden enjoying her sunny day.

"There is another thing we want to talk about.", I said. "In our research about Indigo Nightshade we see connections to Cadence's past, how she was found before you adopted her. We would like to hear more details about it."

I looked to my side but Celestia wasn't there anymore. I turned and saw she had stopped walking some moments ago. She looked unpleasant and defensive.

"What's wrong?", I asked.

She sighed. "I always knew the day would come when I have to tell her the truth."