• Published 16th Jan 2017
  • 1,557 Views, 42 Comments

The Lioness and the Unicorn - CrackedInkWell



Long after the fall of the Roman Empire, in England in the year 1588, two unicorns appeared on the hunting grounds of Hampton Court. Star Swirl and Clover the Clever meet with the Lioness of England: Queen Elizabeth Tudor.

  • ...
3
 42
 1,557

IV: The Welcoming Banquet

Hours later, after the royal cooks labored over the meals for supper, the court musicians narrowed down their playing choices and even the Queen’s theater troupe had been called to Hampton Court, the palace felt confident in welcoming their official guests.

Of course, neither unicorn hadn’t any idea what to expect before they entered the Great Hall. Even before they could enter, they heard the whispering of a mandolin that grew louder. Once inside the warm glow of that chamber, the two ponies were greeted with tables of courtiers, waiting on them and the Queen. Both Star Swirl and Clover were escorted to the other end of the hall in which they are placed between the largest chair in the room.

“My Lords and Ladies!” the voice of a guard cried out. “May I present Her Majesty, Elizabeth, Queen of England, Wales and Ireland.”

Every courtier stood up as Elizabeth entered. They bowed as she passed by, up to the smallest table to which she went around to take her seat in the throne-like chair.

“Pardon me, Milady,” Clover began. “I was just wondering, how exactly are you planning on welcoming us to your court?”

“By holding a fest in your honor,” the Queen replied. “I had my chefs prepare for you every salad that they could think of. But tell me, do you eat anything besides the greens of the garden?”

“In a matter of fact, we do,” Star Swirl informed. “We also eat bread, nuts, berries, fruits, and honey. For drink, it doesn’t matter be it water, milk, cider, beer or wine on occasion.”

“Excellent, apart of myself, you two shall get the first pick of the feast in what shall be put on your plates. Take as much as you want and refuse what is unappetizing. Once everyone has their share, we’ll send forth entertainment.

Out into the Great Hall were servants who, one after another, carried a different dish that was first presented to the Queen, then to the unicorns. Elizabeth did take notice that the younger pony was scribbling underneath the table of a complete list of food that was shown to them. Both unicorns levitated rolls of bread, salads, cheeses, tarts, pumpkin pie, candied fruits, and something called hippocras. She also noticed how they grimaced at every piece of meat that was presented, even the humble soup that had bits of beef and potatoes in it was refused.

“Excuse me, ma’am,” Clover spoke up as she placed a Spanish Pap at one corner of her silvery plate. “Out of curiosity, is there any sort of meat that you or your subjects won’t eat?”

“Fear not, pony and horse meat are not consumed among my subjects,” Elizabeth smiled. “Though I heard that in some parts of France, they sometimes do for a special occasion. But in the borders of my kingdom, such meat is not the first choice to be eaten. For in this country, equines are to assist with labor or transportation. However, if there is a slice of particular meat that is outlawed by my subjects, it is the swan.”

“The bird?”

“Quite,” she nodded. “Thanks to a law that had been passed years ago, only the royal family is allowed to dine on mute swans because that species of bird are owned and protected by the crown.”

“You protect a species of bird by eating them?” Star Swirl raised an eyebrow.

“They are meant for special occasions, usually, such as weddings or holidays. Anyone caught with one without our permission would face imprisonment. However, I do have the right to give away swans as I see fit. Although, I can safely assume that neither of you would be interested.”

The oldest unicorn shook his head. “We prefer not to. Eating meat for us ponies are considered taboo, though; I have heard stories of the Pegasi were trained to eat it in times of war.”

“You don’t say?”

“It’s true,” Clover nodded. “Do you remember that story that Commander Hurricane told about his training? I remember how that in his training, he told that his officers had taught his fellow soldiers to catch birds, how to cook and eat them.”

Still, it is rather disturbing,” he muttered. Looking out to the courtiers, he took notice of the piles of meat that were on their plates and grimaced. “Forgive me, I know that this is obviously a custom in this part of the world, but I just can’t look at while they’re eating something from nose to tail.”

His student gave a confused look, “Really? You didn’t look that way when we’ve explored the Gryphon Kingdom.”

“Well yes, but if you can recall, I never touched a thing. It was difficult enough to keep a straight face without vomiting.”

Clover opened her mouth, but finding nothing to say, she shut it, “Good point… Can we change the subject?”

“Quite,” the wizard turned to the Queen. “Your Highness, if this is a welcome feast in our honor, then I presume that we now must live with your kingdom’s rules?”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“In every country that we run into, we have to accommodate to that nation’s laws and customs. It’s partly because we don’t want to get into trouble without knowing it, and partly to help us record all the knowledge in the world. So I think that from here on out, is there anything we need to know that wouldn’t offend you or this court?”

Elizabeth took one look at both of them, “For starters, I will pardon both of you for wearing cloaks.”

Both unicorns blinked, “What?”

“I have passed many laws, and one of them is that I have banned all cloaks from my court so that my courtiers can receive their swords quicker should anyone try to attack me.”

Student and master leaned forward from their seats, “She does know we don’t carry swords, right?” Clover whispered.

Don’t be disrespectful,” Star Swirl whispered back. “If our hosts say no cloaks, then we won’t wear them.

But have you seen the weather?” his student deadpanned. “It’s unpredictable as a dragon’s temper.”

“You both realize that I can still hear you?” the Queen spoke aloud.

The old unicorn sighed, “Not to worry, we’ll put our cloaks away from now on. Is there anything else I need to know about?”

“Yes. I’ll have you know that it is the law to wear a woolly hat on Sundays.”

Clover raised her hoof, “Why?

“It is to support the English wool trade. However, since it is not Sunday, I’ll be sure to have someone give you one when the day comes by.”

Star Swirl chuckled, “What’s next? Did you pass a law banning anypony wearing purple?”

“That is quite correct,” Elizabeth replied, much to the shock of the unicorns. “I have passed such a law in which only those who are Barons, Viscounts, or any other higher nobility should be the only ones to wear such a color – as well as any other cloth embodied with gold or silver. Although, I suppose that I should be surprised that you already knew that already.”

“I was joking!”

“Pardon me, Your Highness,” Clover spoke up, in hopes to change the subject. “But what was it you said about entertainment?”

“Ah, excellent that you reminded me,” Elizabeth called out to her servants to fetch them out. “I do plan to make this welcome marvelous, so I have summoned my favorite theater troupe in the land.”

“And what are they going to do? I mean, what is their specialty?”

“Asides of good acting, they can jest, play music, dance, recite poetry, or improvise on the spot. This one is the best, and they recently got a new actor with them. William… something-or-other. Still, I do hope that you’ll like them.”

Within less than a minute, a group of twelve men came into the Great Hall and bowed to the Queen. As both unicorns noticed, they ranged from different ages, hair color, and even clothing. The eldest of the group was the first to approach. “Most just and beautiful Majesty,” he bowed. “We’re honored by your presence to be with you once again.”

Clover, meanwhile, took notice of this man’s accent in how earthy and low it was before adding into her journal.

“And…” he looked up, spying the two ponies by the Queen. “ Are these creatures yours?”

“They are my guests.”

The old man, along with the rest of the troupe blinked. “That so?”

“She means to say that we’re on your side,” Star Swirl clarified.

“Indeed,” Elizabeth nodded. “Do not be alarmed, they will not attack unless provoked.”

“I do not attack,” the old wizard objected.

I think you do,” Clover rolled her eyes. “Don’t worry, we’re friendly. This Queen says that all of you are talented.”

“That we are,” the elderly thespian smiled. “So, what shall it be? A comedy? Mystery? One with song and dance?”

“Do you do histories?” the Queen inquired.

The theater troupe looked at one another. “That all depends,” the old man confessed, “Over what exactly?”

“If I may suggest,” Star Swirl began. “I do think it would be interesting to learn how this modern dynasty began. Or at least, some explanation of how this came to be.”

“Tell the story of my family’s reign,” Elizabeth commanded. “And give a quick explanation of the War of the Roses, which should be sufficient.”

“As you wish,” the troupe replied with a bow. They talked among themselves for a few moments until they cleared the space, leaving the youngest man to remain. He stood by the fire that separated between them.

“Henry the fifth was dead. The crown was to go towards his boy, who was but a babe. From then on, the war of bloody conflict between the houses of York and Lancaster, to which, many lives had perished. Yet, from the house of the red rose, our tale began with a Royal boy that was a fugitive, and a prisoner.”

For the next several hours, both unicorns watched these actors with no costumes, scenery, and had little props, acted out the rise of the Tudor dynasty. Using little to nothing but words, they painted out a story of a prince trying to survive his uncle, Richard III, to his ascent to the throne. From then, Henry VII and his queen gave birth to his sons, one of which became the next king: Henry VIII. A man who divorced his first wife before creating a church of his own; beheaded the second; his third gave birth to a prince before dying; divorced his fourth because she was too ugly; beheaded his fifth for being unfaithful, and his sixth was with him until he died. After that, in the next act, the troupe described Edward VI, the boy king and Elizabeth’s half-sister, “Bloody” Mary Tudor, and her terrifying rule. Finally, it showed the rise of Elizabeth, in which the performance ended.

Needless to say, while the ponies watched with intrigue, the court cheered, booed, and raised their mugs, for they were as lively as the actors in the middle of the hall.

When it was over, Clover the Clever went up to the troupe, her journal in her aura. “Excuse me,” she said, “I just wanted to say that what you all did was enlightening.”

“Ah,” the oldest actor inquired, “but were you entertained?”

“Oh yes! I have never seen anypony put on a play that was completely improvised before… although, I was wondering about something.”

“Aye?”

The mare asked sheepishly, “Would it be of any trouble if you could… write it all down?” They blinked. “Yes, I know what I’m asking is a lot and very difficult. But could it be possible if I had a copy of it, written down on parchment?”

It was an embarrassing question and she knew it. More than anything, it was rather a Herculean task that as soon she asked it, did she realize that it was too much.

The old man, however, laughed. “Why, I do think that if anyone could do that, it’ll be Will! Why he’s a bit of a poet himself, and quite a decent one at that!”

“I don’t know,” the youngest actor began. “Writing does take up so much time until it is perfect; pray tell, young unicorn, how long do you expect to be in Britain?”

“I confess that neither I nor my master knows. However, I can safely say that we won’t be leaving anytime soon.”

“If you could give me a month, perhaps two, I can see what I could come up with.”

“Again,” the unicorn said, “I’m not going anywhere. Though, I have to ask,” she opened her journal. “To what name shall I be taking note, so that I’ll be expected this copy from?”

“William Shakespeare.”

She looked up sheepishly. “And how do you spell that?” He told her, and after jotting down the name, she smiled and told him, “Thank you, sir. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the history in great detail.”